Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Theyre Back!

Winston
March 12th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Our resident falcons Madame X and her mate Surge (yet to be confirmed) have returned to the nest site for her 8th year! Spring wont be long now!!

Cindy

happycats
March 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
That's so amazing Cindy!! It's great to see wildlife survive in our enviornment!:lovestruck: It must be a great experience to watch them.:)

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
How do they confirm the idea of the male? Bands? Or do they run an analysis of a dropped feather?

I hope they have a successful breeding year! :fingerscr

Lukka'sma
March 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
It was great last year to watch the live cam and I can't wait to do so again this spring.

Winston
March 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Hazel they usually can identify with a large spotting scope if the bird is banded...sometimes they are not but visual markings and behaviours help. Our male here is banded so once they can get a scope on him they will confirm it. But our male has only been in Hamilton for 3 ys but the previous one never was banded so it was visual confirmations with him!

Lukkasmom! it is so great too see them live! I am fortunate that I see them almost every day because my work location is almost next door to the building they nest on...I have been watching both of them all winter because these 2 dont migrate...I am so glad to see madame X back because she is getting up there in age for a peregrine....She is a fiesty one and will not take any poop! :laughing: from anyone!

He she is this morning!

Cindy

SARAH
March 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Lucky you! I had falcons in Normandie, but none here. I miss the little guys :sad: and they are good mouse hunters too!!

chico2
March 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Winston,sorry I missed this thread,it's great to see them back:thumbs up
Hopefully we'll get to see babies eventually:fingerscr

FancyAppy
March 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM
This will be a very interesting story to follow. Thank you for posting. I will look forward to updates, more pics and hopefully babies.

Winston
March 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
FancyAppy here is the link to the actual live cam

http://falcons.hamiltonnature.org/

Enjoy! We should have eggs in a couple of weeks!

Cindy

FancyAppy
March 21st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thank you!..This will be a great . My husband is going to watch too...whiles he is at work....LOL....thanks again.

Winston
April 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Update 3 Eggs!

STILL THREE EGGS

April 4, 2008: Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: At about 14:38 this afternoon Surge was standing on the ledge with three eggs visible in the scrape behind him. Today's cold weather cannot have been fun for the birds.

Cindy

Here are a couple of pics of the resident birds MadameX and her mate Surge

Winston
April 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
a couple more

chico2
April 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Aww Winston they are beautiful,hopefully all three eggs will make it:pray:
Those are Peregrine Falcons,right??

Winston
April 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Yes Chico they are! We are hoping for a couple more eggs..Last year for the first time in a long time she only had 2 survive..Usually its 3 or 4...last year there was a respiratory type infection and one did not make it..Hoping for a great year this year! Madame X is getting older for a falcon soo the smaller clutch of eggs could be part of her aging.

Cindy

Winston
April 6th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Just got another update!!!

April 6, 2008: Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: Madame X has kept her record intact - around 14:00 today a shift change allowed a clear look at four eggs in the scrape.

Yeah!
Cindy

chico2
April 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Aww that's great Winston:thumbs up
Looking at them,I know it is not a Peregrine(sp?) that comes here,mine are much larger.
I used to have 30+pigeons coming here,now it's down to 5:sad:I wonder if they are just nesting,or if it is the fact the Hawks took a few and it scared them away??

Winston
May 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Well Madame X has laid a clutch of 4 eggs and 2 have hatched! 2 down...2 to go! check out this pic! its not great quality...they are so ugly that they are cute when their born! gorgeous once they grow up! Surge has been a great Dad taking care of more than his share of incubation periods! Madame X always keeps an eye on him!

Cindy

Chris21711
May 8th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Do they not make a nest Winston, they lay their eggs on gravel :confused:
Just curious. Must be real neat to watch. :)

Love4himies
May 8th, 2008, 09:50 AM
They are cute, I second Chris's question, no nest??

Winston
May 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Thats been their nest for the past 8 years...No they do not make a nest like most other birds. They tend to be building dwellers..around any openings that are high off the ground and there are many nests that the Falcon Groups have set up...which is basically a box with pea type gravel in it. We call them the Urban Dwellers!!

Most falcons will look for locations that are on high rise buildings and out of view most times. For example we have the Burlington Lift Bridge not far from here and there is a falcon there but they lay there eggs on the Bridge Beams!! not a really good location so last year a nest was created and placed high up on the bridge..they refused to use it last year! This year they have decided to use it...Each falcon is different..I keep saying Madame X should have picked a location out of the elements...This nest is located at the top of the Sheraton Hotel just below the building signage and they suffer from the intense heat and the rain! but they always come back and all falcons will fight till the end for their nest...

Hatch # 3 this morning!

Chris21711
May 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
You learn something every day, thanks for the info Winston. :)

Winston
May 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
The Canadian Peregrine Foundation has a web site and they have a link to the live web cams...Check it out...there are a few in Toronto...If you would like to learn more about falcons there is a really neat site that uses transmitters attached to the back of the birds and follows them through their migration journey and provides a great source of info...heres a couple links..there are even some sites that provide the live feed on the cam WITH sound!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/

http://www.frg.org/

I find these birds so amazing!!!

Cindy

Chris21711
May 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks Winston, will check for sure :thumbs up

Winston
May 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM
3 little mouths to food! 1 more to go! they wont be small for long!
nice shot of 3 getting fed.

Winston
May 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
This is the prime week for falcons hatching...I couldnt resist this one...this is Mariah from Rochester feeding her 3 eyases that were all born today in the earling morning...some may find it a little gross!

Cindy

Elizabeth Ann
May 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=Winston;590416]
For example we have the Burlington Lift Bridge not far from here and there is a falcon there but they lay there eggs on the Bridge Beams!! not a really good location so last year a nest was created and placed high up on the bridge..they refused to use it last year! This year they have decided to use it...Each falcon is different..I keep saying Madame X should have picked a location out of the elements...This nest is located at the top of the Sheraton Hotel just below the building signage and they suffer from the intense heat and the rain! but they always come back and all falcons will fight till the end for their nest...
QUOTE]

That's interesting to know about. I live right up the street from that there and in the summer bike over the bridge to get to Buranga's. I will keep my eye out for the nest the next time.

hazelrunpack
May 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
WooooHooooo, Madame X and Surge! I hope the 4th one hatches, too! :fingerscr

I guess in the wild, away from human habitation, peregrines nest in scrapes on rocky cliffs. So where Madame X has nested, behind the ledge like that, would likely be considered 'protected'...at least the eggs couldn't roll off a cliff, anyway! :eek: I'd never have survived to adulthood, hatched on a ledge, though. hazel is afeared of heights! :laughing:

Great shot of Mariah, too, Winston. Is that from another nestcam?

Winston
May 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yes Hazel Mariah is from Rochester! There are several live web cams around the world...if anyone is inerested I can gather a list! They have blad eagle cams, owls, you name it!

Cindy

Winston
May 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Heres a couple of shots from the Burlington Lift Bridge Nest....It was installed last year because the falcons would lay their clutch of eggs on the beams of the bridge and they never hatch...they have tested for high volumes of lead. This is the first year the new pair seems to have taken to the nest...

Check out the photo ..it is right at the top...I ride my bike by their all the time in the summer and you can often see them! We probably have crossed paths biking!

Cindy

FancyAppy
May 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Very informative and interesting thread. I have enjoyed watching this family and am grateful for all the info you have shared. thanks so much.

chico2
May 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Winston this is so exciting,I hope all the babies survive,is the building they are nesting on King Street in Hamilton?
Or is that Main Street?
I think it's wonderful how people are helping them out and how many really care about these beautiful birds.
Thank's for all the pics and info:thumbs up

Winston
May 13th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Chico yes they are at the Sheraton Hotel on King Street in Hamilton....across from the Hamilton Convention Centre...very busy area. Thats one of the reasons we have a falcon watch group. Last year our female took her first flight, landed at the entrance to the undergroung parking levels right on King Street...she would have been killed...

Chico it is so amazing to watch them grow up and become adults. between the webcam and I also volunteer with them it is truly amazing..It has become an addiction for me! If your ever downtown in the next few months stop by the parking lot right across from the hotel. There is always someone there watching...great people to talk to and maybe youll see some action.

I couldnt resist this shot from this morning! 4 cute babies!

chico2
May 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Awww,they are soo sweet,I hope the parents defend them against other birds,like Crows,or other Hawks.
It might just be worth a visit,I can always go to that big market,a great place..

Winston
May 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Chico with Peregrine's they will protect till the death! Very very territorial...Even if one their own came back to the nest they would still defend their nest! I have watched both of them chase red tail hawks, seagulls anything that passes through is a threat...

If you visit the market then you can just go strainght through the mall to the end and you will see the Sheraton..its actually part of the mall the markets in!

Its amazing how the falcons teach their young as well..I have seen the Dad teach his chicks how to do a food transfer while flying in the air! simply amazing!

I have also seen him tempt them to come out of the nest when they are older! trying to get them to chase him as he has prey in his talons! they dont always fall for it but sometimes thats all they need to attempt their first flight!

Cindy

Chris21711
May 13th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Appreciate you keep us upto date Winston. With dial-up it's kind of difficult watching any kind of of video. :thumbs up

Winston
May 14th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Growing nicely!

chico2
May 15th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Awww Winston,that's beautiful:pray:they'll all survive and thank you very much,it's great to see them:thumbs up

Chris21711
May 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Too cute :lovestruck: Thanks Winston.

Winston
May 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
So what do you all think? There is supposed to be 4 falcons in the nest ledge...There is a section where the wall meets the gravel in the ledge and it sort of jets into the wall..anyway a chick can hide well under that part..but I see 5 chicks in this picture not 4?? does anyone else see 5? look from right to left and look for the eyes and head area??

Cindy

chico2
May 27th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I see what you mean,took me a while:laughing:
On the right side,right beside the head of one chick it looks like another little head with an eye.
Maybe a little runt??

Winston
May 27th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Chico thats what I thought too! Not a good thing though! Cause it is not appearing in any other photo might mean its not fighting for food~! But then again maybe there are only 4? I am pretty sure they have been looked at through a spotting scope?? I guess I will find out soon when I start the falconwatch! looking forward to seeing how these chicks do! The males will take flight usually first because they are 1/2 the size of the females..Females generally fledge after the males but you never know..It will be another week or so before we will be able to judge from the pics...once the pin feathers start to grow in....

Cindy

chico2
May 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Winston,it could very well be one that is not going to make it,but I guess that's the way it goes.
The ones with the biggest open beak and loudest will make it:sad:
Almost every morning,I find dead little baby-birds in my backyard:sad:probably from predators,my bird-houses seem to be safe though:fingerscr

Chris21711
May 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I can't tell, but thanks for the update Winston.

Winston
May 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Dinnertime~! and what a difference a week makes!

Cindy

chico2
May 28th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Winston,that is great to see:thumbs up
I guess we were wrong about 5 babies:confused:
I don't know much about Peregrins,but isn't even 4 babies surviving a bit unusual?
Mom/Dad looks soo beautiful.thank's Cindy!

Winston
May 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Actually Chico no a mature peregrine will usually lay about 4-5 eggs...its after they fledge the nest that most of them dont make it! Most falcons dont make it past the first year or so! this is more so for the Urban nests we know about..the others in the wild well we just dont know enough yet...There are some peregrines that are fitted with a transmitter and it has been shown that they sometime die by the elements and stuff during migration...

Madame X has only lost 2 chicks after fledging..they flew into the buildings down here that surround their nest...Another couple have died in the nest just after a few short days...either from being too weak or from diseases they have contracted...Thats why banding chicks with a leg band has become so important...This was when they are spotted they can be identified....Its funny the Cdn chicks tend to end up in the USA and the USA chicks tend to end up here in Canada??

Madame X used to be named "run around Sue!" cause she was seen many times during her first yr in Pennsylvania running around the highways.....

Cindy

Chris21711
May 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM
It is real neat to see their progress, thanks for the upsate Winston. :thumbs up

chico2
May 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Thank's Cindy for explaining,I really don't know much about Peregrins,Hawks or any other of the same kind.
I know a bit about my birds around the feeders and my Crows,mostly from watching and reading some.
But I am in awe when I see a Hawk in my backyard,although it usually means one of"my"birds will meet a grisly death.
I :pray:these little guys will all make it:fingerscr

Winston
May 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Chico..this picture is of one of our 2 girls that survived through fledging last year.....what I find amazing is that they go from that little white ball of fluff to this picture in about 45 days or so!! Now they stay that browny tone for a few months to a year and then their colors change to almost a grey slate blue type color! I think they are so beautiful....yes your right though! many birds meet their demise with a falcon around...usually pigeons though! not that that makes it better ??

This picture is Blue Foot who had a respiratory infection which is why her feet were blue rather than the bright yellow...she still had her blue feet long after leaving the nest! no one seemed to know if they would change back to yellow or not??

chico2
May 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Awww,she is beautiful:lovestruck:
I get a lot of pigeons at my feeders and some are really beautiful,all kinds of colors,but in the winter they do get taken a lot by Hawks or Falcons(I cannot see the difference),especially a HUGE one that comes here,but only in the winter.
I get some Kestrels too,but they take small birds,it's sad,but at least they don't kill for the fun of it,they too need to eat to survive.
I saw a Bald Eagle for the first time at a sanctuary in South Carolina last october,talk about a beauty,WOW!!

Winston
May 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Chico Bald Eagles are gorgeous! I never realized until last year how much of a come back they are making....We have some down at the lake in Hamilton! its really hard to tell their a bald eagle till they get the head and typical colors of the mature adults..I hear it takes 3 yrs for them to reach that stage and until then they are almost totally brown!

Cindy

Winston
June 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Update!

I was at the exterior of the building today as the chicks were retrieved from the nest ledge to be banded..Boy Madame X & Surge put up quite the battle!! It is so amazing to see them protect their chicks! She bombed and try to attach for the whole time he sat on the ledge even after the chicks were being banded!! Fiesty one she is! anyway here is the offical names of the chicks in Hamilton!!

IF you want to see some of todays banding check out this link

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/379085

Everyone, meet Duncan, Blashill, Miles and Elstone. Our chicks were retrieved from the nest ledge today by climber John Millar, assisted by Chris Phinney. They were named after four former Presidents of the Hamilton Naturalists' Club (HNC) who passed away recently, Bruce Duncan, Betty Blashill, John Miles and Bob Elstone. The birds were banded by Anne Yagi of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), who was assisted by Bruce Duncan's son James. In the image at left two of the chicks are displayed for those attending the banding, among whom was Jim Stollard, current President of the HNC.

At this age Peregrine chicks are not fully developed so determining gender is not always possible. Female Peregrines are always bigger and heavier than males; based on weights it was decided, for the time being at least, that Duncan (666 g) and Miles (700 g) are male while Blashill (714 g) and Elstone (718 g) are female. By the time they fledge, in a month or so, the birds will be almost full size and it may then be possible to confirm or perhaps modify today's gender assignments.

chico2
June 3rd, 2008, 06:18 AM
OMG Winston,thank you for that,the video is amazing.
I could not have the sound on,hubby is sleeping:laughing:,will watch the video again with the sound of mom protesting,later.

14+kitties
June 3rd, 2008, 06:41 AM
This is the first time I have checked this thread as I am not knowledgable about birds. Wow! I am amazed at the transformation that has taken place. Makes me want to go see them in person. Now just have to find the time. :D Thanks so much for sharing Winston!!

Chris21711
June 3rd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Video was a no go for me :sad: Any photos of what they look like now?

Winston
June 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Heres one from yesterdays banding

Chris21711
June 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Winston, they have grown huge in such a short time :thumbs up

Winston
June 3rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
Wait till you see what they look like next week..I will post some updated pics

Cindy

Chris21711
June 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/Ghelyon.gif I'm waiting :D

Chris21711
June 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Winston I was http://www.pic4ever.com/images/reading.gif the Star this morning and they had an article in there about a pair of Peregrine Falcons nesting on a condo balcony in Toronto, did you see it?

Winston
June 5th, 2008, 11:01 AM
No Chris I didnt but they are all over T.O...Check this site out and look under live webcams....or latest news...

Cindy

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/

Chris21711
June 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM
:thumbs up Winston, They were saying something about whether or not they are a protected species when they are nesting in situations like that. I thought what a crock, of course they are. Under the wildlife act you can't even move a goose or a duck nest from your property. At least that is what Ethel told me.

Winston
June 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
They have been upgraded from the Endangered Species List in 2007 and are now considered just a threatenend species..

The sad part is that most dont even survive beyond a year! But things are definately improving!

Chris21711
June 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
That is promising, I had read that too. To me it would be so cool just being able to watch their progress right from your balcony window.

Winston
June 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Here they are since Mondays banding! Such a difference in a few days! See all the black feathers coming through...

chico2
June 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sorry Winston that I have not been able to answer any of your post,I really loved the video and the kids look great:thumbs up
I would cherish Peregrins on my balcony(if I had one:laughing:),but these people in Toronto say they are aggressive,well sure they are,they are having babies:wall:.
Some people just do not appreciate the beauty of such a bird:frustrated:

Winston
June 5th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Thats right Chico they are protecting their babies..Funny thing people dont realise what they are saying?? what animal or human wouldnt protect their babies?? People also dont know alot about them so they dont see the things some of the bird watchers see? I have seen a couple of different Dads at this nest and they both were amazing in teaching the chicks to hunt, fly etc..Last year the chicks were hanging around the nest to long so Mom decided (we think anyway) to feed them less..because the heavyier they are the harder it is for flying..then that didnt work so Dad made so tempting fly-bys around the nest ledge holding prey to entice them off!! One went for it and was just fine! and the interaction the kids have in the nest is funny sometimes...the boys can be real pains in the ??? to the girls sometimes!

If your interested in another site check this one out where they are set up with transmitters it is absolutely amazing..they are following a few right now that migrating back to their nests up near Baffin Island and they started out in Chile! cooll!!

http://frg.org/

Careful Chico! Peregrines become addictive! :laughing:

Cindy

14+kitties
June 5th, 2008, 04:35 PM
It's amazing watching these guys! How often do you volunteer with them? I love seeing their progression. Thank so much for sharing!!!

Winston
June 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
14+ I work right next door to the building with the nest so I volunteer on my lunches about 3 times a week (depending on work) and also after work for a few hours and weekends...It lasts about a month or so and then things slow down...and once they fledge its hard to keep track of them for longer than that because Mom and Dad try to get them out on their own real quick!

I will be starting back probably next week...they need to loose some more of their down yet...once we start seeing them able to jump on the ledge its usually time for us to be there!!

Cindy

Chris21711
June 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
It's amazing that in 4 days they can grow so quickly Winston. I was reading about a Falconry in Tottenham, they have Falcons, Eagles, Owls etc., do you know anything about it? Thanks again for the updates, I love it :thumbs up

chico2
June 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Winston,I am already hooked on birds of any kind.too late to warn me:laughing:

sugarcatmom
June 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I've been watching Princess and Trey nesting at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Winnipeg for the past couple years on the CBC webcam, and unfortunately their brood of 3 chicks died this morning :cry:. There was a downpour and the ledge they were nesting on didn't have good drainage, so the poor things drowned. The fire department attempted a rescue but it was too late. My workmates and I have been choking back tears all morning. http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/falcon/

Chris21711
June 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Oh no, so sad :sad:

Winston
June 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks Sugarcatmom! IT was so sad I couldnt post it!!

Winston
June 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
What a difference a day makes! check them out!

OMG we are going to have to start falconwatch now!

Cindy

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Sugarcat,how terribly sad,poor babies,mom and dad:cry:

chico2
June 8th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Wiinston,wow,are they ever growing:thumbs up
As with any birds-nest I am always worried the babies will fall,in this case,those babies would have a long fall..
Is mom and dad keeping an eye on them,putting them off the ledge?
Their nest-site could easily be flooded too,if we get a storm,but :fingerscrwe won't.

Winston
June 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Chico the parents are usually quite close by! I was worried on Sunday about the nest ledge considering we lost the 3 babies in Winnipeg! But there is a drain in the middle and they have been pretty wet at times but thankfully there are a few weeks old now and that helps..they are not those hopeless little balls of fluff anymore. Falconwatch has had to start early this year by around a week...funny too I saw Mom make a food drop into the nest and leave it today which normally she has kind of showed them how to prepare it they watch her..but I guess this time they were on their own??

They are growing really fast and I think we have 4 males rather than 2 of each..we will see in a few more weeks ...

Heres a shot from a few minutes ago! this is what gets scary..you will see them all on the ledge running around trying to strengthen their wings by flapping! and with 4 it is a busy spot..

The youngest one is still not as rambuncious as the others yet but he has been up on the ledge! he still has lots of down to loose before he thinks of flying!

Cindy

:thumbs up

chico2
June 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
OMG Cindy,it must be nerve-wracking seeing them up there,please,please don't fall off:pray:
But they are certainly growing,day by day..
Every day now,before I take the cats out,we have to check for baby-birds on the ground.
I had a Blackbird baby here,mom was feeding him and he could fly a little,he got run over by a car of all things:cry:

Chris21711
June 12th, 2008, 10:02 AM
OMG Winston that's scary :pray:

Winston
June 14th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Well we are in full falconwatch mode now! they are gonna start flying anyday...I was able to get a real close up of them the other night through a spotting scope and they are gorgeous! the cam shots do them no justice...they atr still loosing lots of the white downy feathers and they are all a beautiful brown with a gold color too it! I think we have all boys this yr..and that means they usually fly sooner than the girls! heres a pic from this morning..you should see this from the street! its enough to drive you crazy!

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Ooooh Winston,will they be developed enough to fly??
I :pray:they are:fingerscr

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Cindy,we had this really bad thunderstorm last night,do you know if they are ok???

Winston
June 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Chico all is well..they are pretty tough birds now! a few weeks ago no! Here they are a few moments ago!

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thank Dog for that,I found 2 baby-sparrows in my backyard..peeping away for their mom:sad:
I put them up on a higher branch and amazingly they flew even higher in the tree and mom and dad are feeding them.:thumbs up

Winston
June 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Chico check out these 5 from Rochester! I thought I would post this to show you their true color! and besides they are posing for you! The red spot you see is the crop where there food goes... it bulges out after feeding..arent they cute!

One of the chicks here has been fixed with a transmittor so they can follow here movements.
Cindy

chico2
June 14th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Awww Winston,they look beautiful,thank's!!

Winston
June 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Down to three! I am so disappointed I am on vacation so I am not on duty for a week...they should all be out of the nest by then...

chico2
June 16th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Oh no Winston,wonder what happened??
We've had some severe thunderstorms,maybe he fell off the ledge,or maybe he was strong enough to fly:pray:

Winston
June 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM
NO worries Chico..he just took his first flight! Here is the update!

June 16, 2008 - Falconwatch Coordinator Rachel de Catanzaro reports: After a relatively quiet start, Sunday became VERY exciting when the first flight of one of this year's chicks took place! After many 'almosts' Elstone, at only 39 days of age, took off from the nest ledge just after 15:30 and headed east along King Street. He circled and then stopped briefly at the Stelco building, and then flew across King Street where he bumped into a window at the Hamilton Convention Centre and dropped down to a walkway. Quick work by Falconwatchers kept him in sight during the flight so that once down, even though he couldn't be seen, his exact location was known. Fortunately a member of the HCPP Rescue Team was on the scene. Accompanied by Convention Centre staff Heather went to the walkway and took Elstone literally in hand before making a transfer to the carrying box. Heather and fellow Rescue Team member Mike then examined Elstone (left) and found that there were no injuries, and also that based on his size and weight Elstone is a male, not a female!

While all this was going on it looked as though the oldest (40 days) chick, Blashill, was ready to test its wings as well, but it decided to stay put. (Since we now know that Elstone is a male we are being careful about gender because Blashill actually weighed a bit less at banding.)

After determining that Elstone was OK, Heather and Mike took him up to the roof of the Sheraton and released him. Elstone initially looked a little suprised (left) but within minutes he had found his way up to the parapet of the Sheraton roof. He first walked to the far east end of the parapet, then back toward the centre, then east again. Finally he decided that he wanted to be close to his siblings and went as far west as he could go, winding up perched on the camera arm for much of the evening while the other chicks stood watching curiously from the nest ledge. At 05:45 today he was quite active, walking on the parapet and jumping up to the camera mount. We'll see what happens next! Stay tuned

chico2
June 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Winston,that's a relief,thank you:thumbs up

Chris21711
June 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Holy cow Winston, when you said down to three, my heart skipped a beat. Thanks for keeping us updated, I find this exciting.

14+kitties
June 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Amazing!!!!!!!!!! I don't post much in this one but I sure am keeping track! How exciting is this!!!! Thanks Winston for keeping us in the know. !!

Winston
June 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Well I have been on vacation this week and unable to get to the falconwatch I have been trying to keep watch from the cam...Dundas the littlest one made his first flight today while the others have been flying for a few days! I missed the most important week! :wall:

The other three have made some fantastic first flights and it sounds like only a few difficulties on landings...One went missing for the night and she turned up on a building we never really have to go to much! but all is well and I look forward to getting back next week to see Mom and Dad teach them to hunt! Sometimes you can see some amazing food transfers mid air if your watching!

I hope they all stay safe now! They will hang around for at least another month and then will move away!

Cindy

chico2
June 21st, 2008, 06:58 AM
Hope you had a good vacation and not here in Ontario,where it's been cold:frustrated:
Isn't the fact these four babies made it to the flying stage a great accomplishment for mom and dad Peregrin?

We saw 2 red-tailed Hawks the other day,circling around,sending all my birds in to hiding and getting the Crows in to a frenzie,probably protecting their young.
I am not sure if they were Red-Tailed Hawks,but their tails were certainly reddish/orange.

Chris21711
June 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Any new updates Winston?

Winston
June 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Yes sorry I have been a bit busy! Its been a crazy couple of days...Yesterday was my first shift back on since holidays and all 4 have fledged the nest! Yesterday Miles the best flyer out of the bunch went missing at 6:30am...He could not be located anywhere...finally someone found him last night pretty low to the street and he was injured. Which we all found really amazing because no one was really looking that low! and he did not make much noise! we new something was up because 3 food drops were made for the others and he did not show up..

Miles has been taken to an owl facility where he received a mouse for dinner with a heavy dose of antibiotics in it and he will be receiving an x ray sometime today on his back area and tail feathers...he had difficulty flying so he may have some injuries...We are hoping not and that he will return really quickly before the rest of his family leaves the area...and also mom and dad need to teach these guys to hunt still so we are hoping for him to return in time to learn those skills...I will keep you posted....

The other 3 are flying really well!

Cindy

Chris21711
June 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks Winston, hope Miles recovery goes well.

chico2
June 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Aww Winston,poor Miles..wonder how he got imjured,but I guess in a busy city there are lots of ways:sad:
Hope he recovers:goodvibes::fingerscr:pray:

Winston
June 24th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Well I have not heard anymore about Miles and the xray but I worked a shift again today and saw a couple of really good flights from the youngest one Duncan...except that he disappeared for awhile while I was on and that is the worst feeling..he did reappear awhile later! I returned on my way home again and he had gone into hiding again...hes a little buggar!

Mom and Dad were around and much more obvious today! I think they are looking for Miles?? I hope he can be returned soon! Mom and Dad will likely still take care of him even if he arrives later! they did last year when we had one out of the nest for almost a week!

Im back on tomorrow so I will let you all know if something interesting happens...hopefully no RAIN!

Cindy

Winston
June 28th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Well I have had a couple of shifts and things have been pretty crazy at times!! Its getting much harder to keep an eye on the chicks as there flying skills are awesome and they are flying further out of the downtown core!

The youngest one is a real trouble maker! disappearing all the time and then just showing up somewhere..I had him on my watch yesterday when he dropped down into some rooftop equipment and could not get enough flight to get out! He had to be rescued!! (he would have died inthe spot he was in!!)

I was able to have the best seat in the house today! 24th floor of the office building right dab in the middle of everything! Saw some spectacular flights and some talon tag too! The funniest thing I ever saw was today Blashil landed on the rooftop and began having a bath in the standing water on the roof! it was hilarious..he had his whole head under the water and butt in the air like a duck! just loving every minute of it! I also so the other 2 have a little battle over some left over's they found..they were tumbling around fighting for it! All in all a great day and things are really winding down now!

As for Miles he is still in rehab..the will start up a mini watch when he returns....he was not eating for a few days..they will also test him in a flight cage to see if he can fly fine....after that he can come home! He was the strongest flyer and one of the first out of the nest...and Dad had taken him on some hunting trips so he can fend for himself as well..

Cindy

14+kitties
June 28th, 2008, 10:05 PM
:goodvibes: for Miles' continued recovery! I hope he gets to join the rest of the family soon.

chico2
June 29th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Cindy,omg how exciting it must be to watch them,like kids,they will get in trouble:evil:
Who rescues them,when like the youngest,are in trouble??
Is somebody always watching?
Is there still video,I have to check back and see..
Hopefully Miles will soon be ok,it's great that there are people like you,who cares about these beautiful birds and their survival:thumbs up
I just checked,thee are some really nice pics on that site,they look great!!

Winston
July 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Well my falconwatch has come to a close and all 4 chicks are doing really good! Miles was brought back to the nest a few days ago and it was a pretty site to see him. I was called for the release to watch for any problems upon release and I got to have a peak at him in the rescue box he was in! God he was gorgeous..he has alot of darkness around his face and they are such a really nice gold brown color!! He was returned to the nest with a packed lunch of frozen quail in case he forgot what pigeon is like!! :laughing: long story short when Miles was released he flew off the roof with such power and was immediatley reunited with his siblings...at first no parents were around..we didnt expect him to move at all out of fear and the heat was ectreme that day..when its hot they flake out like pancakes and sleep! but NOT Miles..It was a site to see how good he could fly!! I couldnt stay for long and returned to work..

Things got a little troublesome when the parents arrived back on the scene...Dad immediately thought he was an intruder and made several attempts to knock him off the buildings...then his siblings joined him up in the air trying to get away from his Dad and I guess he realised that if the others were playing with him it was okay because he immediately stopped his attack!! so its been a few days now and Miles has extremly well! his flying before he was hurt was amazing then! so all is well and hopefully they can move on to their own nests and keep the population growing!

On my way home today I witnessed 2 of the chicks come flying through the downtown core REALLY low! and they were sort of darting between the big buildigns playing catch I guess?? (they freak us out when they do this because the windows of big buildings are a hazard for them! and we have lost others that have flown into the buildings!!)

Thats all for now!

Cindy

chico2
July 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Aww Cindy,that's great,wish I had seen them,maybe there are pics of them on their site?
Hopefully they'll do good !!

Winston
July 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Chico they will post updates now that things are more relaxed..I will post them for you when I get them..:thumbs up

Cindy

chico2
July 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Great,thank you:thumbs up

Chris21711
July 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Fantastic news Winston. Thanks for sharing this with us. :thumbs up