Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Non-Alpha Dog

Tazette
March 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
At first I didn't mind this activity in the dog park, but now it's starting to piss me off!!!

Is my dog that much of a Non-Alpha dog that whenever we are in the dog park, there is always some dog in the park (regardless if there are 2 or 10 in the park) that decides he wants to mount my male dog???? At first I didnít care, I thought, fend for yourself, but now it's just annoying. My dog is so non aggressive that he doesn't seem to care for the first while and then eventually starts making an effort to go after the other dog.

Yesterday he seemed more interested in a Frisbee and carrying it around, all the while another dog was continuously trying to mount him.... itís sooo aggravating. The one dog that was trying to mount him finally left and a few others came in, once of which tried to mount my dog as well, but this one only tried a few times and started playing with the Frisbee as well. A few weeks ago a larger dog tried mounting mine all the time as well.....grrrr

The owners always seem to be apologetic and I always make sure to tell them not to be, because when my dog gets sick of it, he "eventually" fights back.

My dog is a 1 1/2 year old Shepherd/Retriever/Husky cross, so he's not a small boy, he's about 80lbs, but he's very happy and care free, we've only heard him growl at another dog once.

Why is my dog always the one being mounted at the dog park, is he that much of a woos (sp)??

Ford Girl
March 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
This happens every where, all the time. As much as your dog is the one being humped, there are dogs out there that try and hump everything.

I dont have a scientific reason to tell you, dogs seem to work it out on their own, some put up with it, some don't. Your dog is a non-alpha and probably sends out those signs...and more dominent dogs pick up on that and mounts him. Some dogs pester, some get harassed.

If you are really getting p*ssed off about it I would say don't go to the park, simple solution...cuz if your dog doesn't mind, why do you?? :shrug: Now...if they start humping your leg...that another story. :laughing:

Your dog is nuetered right?

Kristin7
March 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My dog is one of those who loves humping other dogs. We don't go to the dog park in part because of that.. For mine, I don't think it is that he is trying to dominate other dogs, though, he really seems to think it is fun. He's actually more of a submissive dog than anything, and never has challenged me, and only ever wants to play with other dogs, not fight or boss other dogs around. I did used to go to the dog park a lot with my previous dog, and did notice there were certain dogs that seemed to be humping magnets, like yours. No idea why though.

Tazette
March 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I've just never noticed it before. When we take him to the neighbors house, it seems my dog will be the one humping the other dog one day and rolls will reverse the next day, so who knows. We went yesterday and like I said, the one dog left and the next one that came in tried a few times and didn't bother after that. It takes him a while to get pissed off with it and start going after the other dog. My husband was egging him on to get up and not take it yesterday. oh..yeah he got fixed last year, I'm not sure if the dogs that are going after him are also fixed.

Ford Girl
March 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
My dog is one of those who loves humping other dogs. We don't go to the dog park in part because of that.. For mine, I don't think it is that he is trying to dominate other dogs, though, he really seems to think it is fun. He's actually more of a submissive dog than anything, and never has challenged me, and only ever wants to play with other dogs, not fight or boss other dogs around. I did used to go to the dog park a lot with my previous dog, and did notice there were certain dogs that seemed to be humping magnets, like yours. No idea why though.

My sisters Huskey is this way, she is so submissive and compliant, yet she mounts all dogs at least once...we laugh that it's her little way of showing whoever she's humping, that she's the boss!

I've just never noticed it before. When we take him to the neighbors house, it seems my dog will be the one humping the other dog one day and rolls will reverse the next day, so who knows.

Thats normal play for friends...take turns being the boss...:laughing: Who knows is right...well, you know who knows? The dogs, and their not talking. :rolleyes: :p

Purpledomino
March 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM
My bullmastiff Ruben is the same way. If there is a dog in the vacinity, chances are pretty good that he is humping poor Ruben. He is the most intimidating, scary-looking 150 lbs of dog you will ever see, yet inside that exterior is the heart of an angel that wouldn't harm a fly.

Sometimes if he is not listening to me, I try to correct him or raise my voice, he will flop down on the ground and just lie there. Many people have commented on his laid back personality....but when so many dogs take advantage of him, I wish he had a little more fight in him.

Weird, because one of his littermates was put down for aggression.....she had killed the neighbours dog. My vet thinks the difference in the two is just mind-boggling. I guess I got lucky.