Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate Training.

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
So, for the first few days, Guinness was not having accidents through the night in his crate. I have a pillow to fill up the remainder of space so it is not too big for him, and he is growing in to it quite well. But over the last few days, either when we let him out in the morning, or he cries at 5am (He never used to), he has wet the bed. We stop giving him fluids at 9pm, and we usually go to bed around midnight, or one in the morning.

Perhaps I should cut off his water supply at 7pm? But what if he is thirsty?
I guess we are just going to have to set the alarm for four hours in, and wake him up if necessary to go?

Any other suggestions?

Our plan is that once he is crate trained and can be left alone during the day and can make it through the night, he will be in bed with us, so that any actual crate time will be spent during the day - I don't want him in there too often.

P.S. The only reason I decided to crate him in the first place (because I was excited to have my brand new puppy in bed with me on the first night, naturally) was because the breeder told me a story about a woman who had bought a puppy from her a while back and had taken the puppy home for a nap, and when she woke up he was lying dead underneath her, because she had rolled right on top of him and suffocated him! :eek: I was sufficiently traumatized and won't let him sleep with me till he is bigger. :sad:

jealma
March 12th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I should not give advice, I am a new pet owner of an 11 week old shih tzu, and she is also very small only 4 lbs. She sleep in a box on the floor next to me the first week and I got up every 3 hours to take her to the puppy pad. Than I moved her out to the living room all blocked off so she could go to the pad herself and I didn't have to get up ( I was getting tired) this week she is in my bed. She always gives a little whine if she has to go so that I put her off the bed ( or off the couch if it's durring the day) and she goes off to the pad.... BUT I"m a very very light sleeper. And I mean light, when she was in the box and scratched the side I was awake. if she whined in the living room because she was lonely,, I was awake.. and if she moves from my side to my feet,, I"m awake. I think it's a personal choice,, just remember once she's in your bed,, she isn't going to like sleeping anywhere else. So try a box next to the bed, or her blanket next to the bed. for starts, seemed to have worked for us. But like us,, dogs are all different too

jessi76
March 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
instead of a pillow to make the crate smaller... use something hard. like the top to a large plastic storage container, a piece of cardboard, etc... something easily washed or thrown out and replaced if an accident happens. pillows are soft material that will hold a scent - so if any urine gets on it, the dog will smell the scent, and possibly have more accidents.

where is the crate? I always kept mine right next to the bed (much like you'd do w/ a new baby in a bassinet). this way when the pup woke, and whined to go out, I would wake more easily. Take the pup out, always on leash, encourage him to do his business, softly praise, back to bed (NO PLAY TIME OR EXCITEMENT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT). Just like having a new baby, I got little sleep the first week or so. but every time your pup goes OUT to pee/poo is one step closer to a house trained dog. so keep your eye on the prize! sometimes I was up 2x or 3x a night.

as for water, yes, limit (do not deny completely) intake after a certain hour like you're doing. take the pup out right before you go to bed, make it the LAST thing you do. take the dog during the night if need be. then again as soon as you wake up. stick to this routine, phasing out the middle of the night potty breaks.

if you want to provide water in the crate, but don't want to have a bowl in there, there are dog water bottles available. I used one for my dog. the dog can drink, but won't over drink. they look like HUGE hamster/rabbit water bottles, but are designed for dogs. my dog figured out how to use it in 5 min. very easy.

jealma, you should absolutely give advice! that's how we all learn new ways of doing things!

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
My boyfriend gets up usually around 8am. He takes the dog out as soon as he is out of bed, feeds him, and 15 minutes later takes him out again, and then gets ready for work.
When he leaves at 10:30 he drops the dog in the bed with me and we snuggle for an hour, and are up around 11am.
I feed him for the second time around 1pm, and take him out afterwards, and try to take him out every 1.5 hours. I leave the water dish accessible all day, but his food is kept up (I want him to get used to eating sometimes out of my hand, and on a schedule).
He gets his dinner around 6pm, and then I guess I will take his water dish away at 7pm.

His crate is right beside our bed, he can probably see my boyfriend from where it is positioned. He goes out right before bed, always and does not go to bed until he has eliminated, which is around 12am. Just recently, it's 5 hours later that he has an accident. I think I will be setting my alarm for 4am and getting up with him for a few days, and along with the water cutback, i hope so see some improvement.

Maybe it IS the pillow. I just couldn't find anything else to divide it with. :sad: I'll have to try again.

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I took the pillow out. It doesn't smell bad at all, as most of the accidents were towards the front of the crate, but what does my human nose know? I could not find a single thing to use as a divider, so I am washing the pillow as we speak. If I were to wrap it in a garbage bag, tinfoil, or even duct tape it would that help? :confused:

jealma
March 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
thank you Jessi76, everyone here has been so helpful giving me idea's here. I'm so glad I found this site and hopefully I can help others out too

jessi76
March 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I took the pillow out. It doesn't smell bad at all, as most of the accidents were towards the front of the crate, but what does my human nose know? I could not find a single thing to use as a divider, so I am washing the pillow as we speak. If I were to wrap it in a garbage bag, tinfoil, or even duct tape it would that help? :confused:

your nose won't be able to pick up the scent, but the dog's will. No, a garbage bag is a suffocation hazard. duct tape & tinfoil are equally bad ideas. You can BUY a crate divider, and I recommend doing so if you don't have anything suitable around the house.

Chibi
March 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
What we did was wash the pillow, wrap it in two garbage bags, and sealed it in duct tape. We let him play with it, but he was not interested in the tape like he was with the plastic, and can't get it off. He is not even interested in it. Can I ask what the dangers would be? The tape is securely overlapped, and attached the plastic, so if he were to tug on it we would hear it, and he is never unsupervised.

So with the pillow descented, water cut off earlier, we took him out at 3am last night, and there was no accident! Yay! So, if we continue to do this for about a week and then just stop... He'll be okay through the night? He'd be twelve weeks by then.

Harley's_Mom
March 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I have to agree with jessi76, the garbage bag and tape is definitely a hazard. No matter how secure you think it is, your little furbaby will probably not have much trouble shredding it especially if he gets bored. I am constantly amazed at what destruction Harley gets up to and he's a small dog as well.

Chibi
March 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
For now it is the best we can do. We did use a whole roll of duct tape so it's securely fastened and none of the plastic is showing, and we let him sniff at it but he was not at all interested in it, as it's basically rounded and nothing for him to latch on to. He has toys in his bed that he can chew on, and he is always supervised. Until I can find something better, or payday comes when I can buy a divider, we'll use this. We need to use something, and he just pulls towels down and I can't think of anything else to use. :shrug: And he is just not reliable enough to sleep all night in the bed with us, not too mention he gets all frisky and justs wants to play, lol.

I keep his crate open upstairs with me all day and watch him go in and out, take naps, and exchange toys. He hasn't once checked out the divider, so I think it'll be okay for now.

jessi76
March 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
So, if we continue to do this for about a week and then just stop... He'll be okay through the night? He'd be twelve weeks by then.

all pups are different. some take longer to house train, some pick it up in a matter of days. but ALL dogs have to build up their bladder control. do not expect your pup to not have accidents by 12wks old. heck, a lot of dogs have accidents up to 6mths old. it happens. just do your best to prevent it, and if your dog needs more 3am potty breaks, well, then he needs them.

Chibi
March 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I don't expect the accidents to stop, but there should be a point where he learns to hold it through the night. I guess it is just trial and error and making sure I take his water away at a certain time.

He has started sitting by the top of the stairs and alerting me when he wants to go outside, though. :eek: Not always to go potty... Sometimes just to find a nice stick... But it's a step in the right direction, right?