Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is it a Don't

jealma
March 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I don't mean to aske to many questions BUT when my dog makes a mistake why am I not to clean it up within his veiw. I mean she's training and I pick up the poop from the puppy pad as quick as I can,, but why is she not to see me take it away? sounds like a silly question, but I really don't know the answer

onster
March 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
from what I've heard u do this because mom dogs clean up puppy messes and u dont want ure pup to think "ooh look mommy is cleaning for me" cuz that means he/she can just go ahead and relieve themselves anywhere....mom will clean it :lightbulb:

I dunno if that's accurate tho, just what ive heard b4

jessi76
March 12th, 2008, 11:26 AM
you can't possibly ask too many questions, so feel free to ask as many as you need answers to.

personally, I never worried whether my dog saw me clean it up or not. I cleaned it up quickly & quietly. IMO, it's just key to do it quietly, since you can't scold a dog after the fact. But I never really worried, nor really cared, if my dog watched or not.

rainbow
March 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I've never heard that you are not supposed to pick it up within the pup's view. I've always done as jessi76 has done....just clean it up without saying a word if I didn't catch them. We've had lots of dogs over the years and they've always been completely potty trained within a few weeks.

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
When reading about my dachshund in specific it talks about how they are a manipulative breed, and for them seeing their owner clean up their mess is like a game, and also a way to gain some dominance over you.

rainbow
March 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
One of my dogs is a siberian husky and they are notorious for being stubborn and manipulative. He is the third one we've had and I never had any more problem with them than any other breed we've had. :shrug:

jealma
March 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM
thank you for the input. I have another question though,,, I don't make any ta do about her accidents, but how is she to know she is not to releive anyplace other than the puppy pad if I pretend it didn't happen?

jessi76
March 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
if you catch her having the accident, THEN you can make a big deal of it. Say Aht! Aht! or NO! firmly, scoop pup up, put ON the pee pad (or outside) to finish. then reward for finishing in the correct spot.

if you just see pee/poo on the floor, and the dog is NOT actively doing the deed, you cannot scold the dog. just clean it up quietly. then scold yourself for not watching the dog more closely. ;)

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
It does no good to correct her after the fact--if the deed is done and you haven't seen it happen, she won't associate the correction with the act of elimination.

But if you catch her in the act, make a throaty "aht aht" noise, pick her up and take her to where you want to eliminate. When she obliges you, then praise her. She'll get the idea! :thumbs up

Kristin7
March 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Funny, I was just wondering about this yesterday... I have read that before, to not let the dog see you clean up the potty mess, which I faithfully have done, but only in the house. But mine frequently sees me clean up his messes while we're walking or in the yard. If the dog can reason and separate going in the house vs going outside, then maybe this doesnt' matter if he sees me clean up outside, unless of course it is a dominance thing... :shrug:

jealma - it only works to scold if you catch the dog in the act, they really dont' connect the scolding to the accident otherwise. For me, it has worked better to use positive reinforcement, meaning to praise when they go in the right spot, including starting off the training by treating them when they go in the right spot (no need to do this forever, only until they get the hang of it). In addition, they get nothing for going in the wrong spot and when caught in the act they are scolded, most of them eventually catch on.