Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Man Clinging to boat: Save my dog first.

ancientgirl
March 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
What a great story. I don't think any of us would do anything different.

Man clinging to boat: Save my dog first

Tue Mar 11, 11:01 PM ET

CORE, W.Va. - Life jackets are made for people, not dogs. So, when Randy Earl's small boat capsized while he was fishing with his dog Lacy, a black spaniel mix, he stayed in the water with his life jacket while making sure Lacy was OK.

"When the boat flipped over, I put the dog on top of the boat," Earl told The Dominion Post of Morgantown.

While waiting for someone to rescue them on Mason Lake in northern West Virginia, Earl clung to the 12-foot boat's hull. The water temperature was about 50 degrees, said J.M. Crawley, a senior conservation officer for the Division of Natural Resources.

Another fisherman, Jan Thorn, watched from shore as a state trooper paddled out to rescue Earl and Lacy.

"He asked the state trooper to take the dog first," Thorn said. "It was very touching."

Earl, 53, said Lacy means a lot to him and his wife since they lost both of their children in a car accident 15 years ago.

"That dog is like a child to us," he said.

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 11:11 AM
:thumbs up, now there is a human that loves their dog.

Thanks for sharing, ancientgirl, I think we needed a happy story today.

ancientgirl
March 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
No problem. I sure know I could have used a happy story today. I'm so tired of seeing bad news regarding animals, seeing something like this is such a pleasure.

onster
March 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
what a sweet story.

It's a good example why ppl should get their dogs doggy life vests if they can (seen them at stores):thumbs up

06canyon
March 12th, 2008, 02:02 PM
awwww that's sweet

shane 123
March 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
What can one say to something like this? That man is a hero to me.

ancientgirl
March 12th, 2008, 08:08 PM
We so often hear all of the bad things people do to animals. I love reading stories like this, because I know there are people out there that love their animals so much.