Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New doggy door, I love it!!

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
We just purchased a patio doggy door, and we are loving it. B/c of Gianna's (my Neopolitan Mastiff) disease, she get up at least 2-3 times a night and has to go out during the day a lot more then a "normal" dog. And as much as we love her, I want a full night sleep. :sleepy:(before we have children who get up many more times a night) We didn't think we could have one b/c we do not have a "regular" door to put one in, until we found out that hey make this patio one. It's great, easily put in and not too expensive (only $160 with shipping on Ebay) We did have to build a little ramp for her from the outside due to the stairs outside the door. But my handy boyfriend did that in a couple hours last night.
It's going to take awhile for Gianna to figure this door out though. She still will wait by the door to come in and out. But I think with a couple of cookies and some praises, she's get the hang of it. :fingerscr
I can;t wait to sleep through the night!!! Now only if we could get her to sleep in on the weekends instead of getting us up at 7am to eat!! LOL

breeze
March 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I never knew that they made a doggie door big enough for a Mastiff....I only knew of the small ones..

We would love to see pictures of the doggie door, It would be interesting to see :thumbs up:thumbs up

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I'm trying to upload some pics right now. I'm having some computer problems. I'll get them up soon. I'll get one eventually of her going out it. Right nw she's sleeping :sleepy:
I have a very small mastiff. (95lbs) Thats why we can have one. I think if we had a normal size mastiff,this door would not work.

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Sorry these are sooo big, everytime I tried to make them smaller, my internet explorer would restart.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0511.jpg
Pic from the outside. The ramp is not all finished, we ran out of wood last night.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0510.jpg
Pic from the inside.

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Here's a pic of Gianna, to show you that she's not that big. (for a mastiff)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0493.jpg

Frenchy
March 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Here's a pic of Gianna, to show you that she's not that big.

omg she's a beauty !!! :lovestruck:

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Thank you!! :)

clm
March 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
She is beautiful.

That is a substantial doggy door.

I've thought about putting one in for the dogs, but then I'd have to worry about one of my cats using it too, and I don't allow my girls outside. I'd also worry about stray animals coming in not to mention the raccoons and possums.

Cindy

ancientgirl
March 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
She is really gorgeous! I love her color.

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'd also worry about stray animals coming in not to mention the raccoons and possums.

Cindy

We thought about that too. But i think animals are too afriad to go in our yard b/c of Gianna. As soon as something steps foot, or flies in our yard, she's running towards them. I'm always afraid she'll actually catch something one day.

But we have a tall fence and we're near a busy road, so maost of the animals are in the woods far away. But now that u mentioned it, every time i hear some noise in the house at night im going to think its a raccoon or possum in my house

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM
She is really gorgeous! I love her color.

Thank you! Her color is called Blue. Most of the time is very shinny, but shes going thru some skin problems right now.

:offtopic:
When I went into the store to buy a dog, I was looking to get the biggest one they had. I saw the great danes, and as I was going to look at them closer, i walked by this puppy(Gianna) who's color I've never seen before. "Wow, a Gray dog" I picked her up, and from that moment i was in love!! :lovestruck:

rainbow
March 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Gianna is gorgeous. :lovestruck: When she figures out the doggy door you'll have to post a pic of her coming through it. :D

Dracko
March 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Heck, I could fit through that door! :laughing::laughing:

Mind you, if I tried and saw a dog that big on the other side, I'd have to think twice. :D

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Just a little update... she still has not used the door on her own. Last night we coaxed her into coming in thur it with a cookie and some praises. She noses it a little butnot enough for her to see that it does open. And I has to ger up with her to let her out of it last night. I'llhave to work with her today.
But now I have a new problem.:yell: She's starting to eat her poop again. :yuck: I know its a vitamin deficiency, but giving her vitamins will do nothing due to diesease. So not i'm just going tohave to scoop poop ever day and watch her when she goes out. (which defeats the purpose of a doggy door.) :mad:

Drako,
If you'd like to try to fit in the door, bemy guest, i'd like to see what Gianna would do. Shall I give you the address. :laughing: But heres a little secret.... shhh don't tell anyone.... My dog is always soo hngry, that if you bring her a piece of food, any type of food, she'd prob let you right in. And she's also a big scaredy cat, she jumps and runs away from the little things. It's always the biggest dogs that are afraid!

Dracko
March 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM
:laughing: I'll keep that in mind.

I have a cat door in my basement for the cat litter box room. To train my new cats I always taped the door up for a couple days so they would get used to walking through it. Maybe you could initially push the door open (you probably wouldn't want to secure it open given it leads to the outside). For me, just getting the cats to understand to go through it was the key and then afterwards getting them to put the flap wasn't too hard.

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Dracko, i may just try that, thank you!

breeze
March 13th, 2008, 02:32 PM
She is a stunning looking doggie, :cloud9::lovestruck:

she will get the hang of it, it is only a matter of time..

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you Breeze. i'm hoping soon she will get the hang of it. I would hate to think we wasted almost $200 dollars.:frustrated:

breeze
March 13th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thank you Breeze. i'm hoping soon she will get the hang of it. I would hate to think we wasted almost $200 dollars.:frustrated:

it's never a wast, it's only a wast if you don't try :thumbs up:thumbs up

I think we wasted alot more money on other things,

chico2
March 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Gianna is beautiful and what a nice feminine name:lovestruck:
I would definetly have a house full of raccoons and other creatures were I to have a doggie-door:laughing:

Frenchy
March 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
But now I have a new problem.:yell: She's starting to eat her poop again. :yuck:

Does she vacuums her food ? I mean , does she eat fast ? If so , she may eat her poop because there still intact kibble in there :yuck: if that's the case , you can do what I do and put a Kong in the middle of her kibble , that way she has to eat around the Kong.

And we also need more pictures of Gianna , you should open a new thread in the picture forum and post post post :D

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Gianna is beautiful and what a nice feminine name:lovestruck:
I would definetly have a house full of raccoons and other creatures were I to have a doggie-door:laughing:

Her full name is actually Gianna Amore Blu. Thank you tho. I wanted to name my 1st born girl that.. But i'm not Italian. but my dog is :D

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Does she vacuums her food ? I mean , does she eat fast ? If so , she may eat her poop because there still intact kibble in there :yuck: if that's the case , you can do what I do and put a Kong in the middle of her kibble , that way she has to eat around the Kong.

And we also need more pictures of Gianna , you should open a new thread in the picture forum and post post post :D

Yes she does scarf down her food, but thats b/c she has the pancreatic insuffency. We water down her food. She's also has to wait a half hour b4 she can have the food, so the special enzyme we put in her food to start to break it down before she eats it. So her food is almost liquid when she gets it.

For the pictures, i'll post them here in just a little bit, it takes me a little bit to upload them to the other site.

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/Gianna-1.jpg
This is when she was a puppy, i tied up her ears so they wouldn't get dirty while she ate. This is one of my most favorite pics.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/Gianna2.jpg
About 5-6 months old.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/Gianna3.jpg
Her 2nd halloween as Dorthy
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/Picture192.jpg
She wouldn't get back in the car, i was driving away, and she jumped up on my car.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/Picture100.jpg
Gianna going riding on the 4-wheeler. She hates the thing now, chases after it biting the tires.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/Picture094.jpg
This is the tattoo i got of her, this was taken the day of the tattoo, it's not so red.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0085.jpg
I put socks on her after we put a new wood floor in so her nails weren't soooo loud. Those are her favorite Spongebob socks.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0069.jpg
Her favorite thing to do.....lay in her sun beam.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0052.jpg
The first and only time we let her lay on the kitchen table.

Ok just a few more......

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0125.jpg
She always gets in this weird positions.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0100.jpg
Going to work!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0096.jpg
Laying with ehr Daddy, i think she looks like a Gremlin here.

Ok i think that may be good for now. If anyone has a Myspace, theres a lot more on there. I have a whole album just of her. The site is:
myspace.com/alea25

Let me know what you think, i may have gone a little over-board.

Frenchy
March 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Over board ? You'll never hear us complain !!!! :laughing:

omg she is such a beauty ! :lovestruck: as a puppy omg :cloud9: and on the kitchen table :laughing: love her shiny coat.

Here's me with a friend's English Mastiff , Guiness (BHRR , she's a member here who doesn't post enough , but she's pretty busy with her rescue and many many big dogs at her place :cloud9:)

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
What a cutie. Now thats a real dog. All i ever wanted was a dog bigger then me. Gianna'a getting there. Since we moved to Illinois last june, she has gained 15lbs. We got her up to 95lbs. Only another 10lbs and she'll be bigger than me :fingerscr

What kind of dog is the one thats brindled, the one u can only se his hinney?

Frenchy
March 13th, 2008, 09:21 PM
What a cutie. Now thats a real dog. All i ever wanted was a dog bigger then me. Gianna'a getting there. Since we moved to Illinois last june, she has gained 15lbs. We got her up to 95lbs. Only another 10lbs and she'll be bigger than me :fingerscr

What kind of dog is the one thats brindled, the one u can only se his hinney?

A dog bigger than you ? :laughing: Same here :laughing: My Sam (golden) is 100 lbs , same as me , my other golden is smaller at 73 lbs and my long term foster great dane is 94 lbs although the last time I had her weighted at a vet (another vet , another scale) it said 80 lbs :confused:

The brindle is a great dane. BHRR has about 8-9-10 great danes ? + foster danes , + an english mastiff , 2 goldens , one newfie mix .... a dream household ! :cloud9:

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 09:28 PM
i knew that it had to be a Great Dane. thats my next dog..... a brindle great dane. i love the color. Dont know much about the breed. but i knew nothing about Neopolitan mastiff either b4 i got Gianna. I'm more of a hands on learner anyways...lol Do u have any other pics of the great dane?

Frenchy
March 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
i knew that it had to be a Great Dane. thats my next dog..... a brindle great dane.

A brindle ? :D This is my Nelly.

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 10:01 PM
He's beautiful! I want one. How old is he?

I see you put blankets on ur couches too!!! We have to do it too.

Frenchy
March 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM
He's beautiful! I want one. How old is he?

I see you put blankets on ur couches too!!! We have to do it too.

Nelly is a she :D about 2 1/2 yr old ? Don't know for sure , she comes from a puppy mill :sad: She's been here for a year now. Yes the blankets are a must here , with Nelly , my 2 goldens boys , 2 cats and sometimes a foster golden ... yep , it is a must ! :laughing:

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM
We think Gianna may have come from a puppy mill. That why we think her disease come from. Does Nelly have any problems b/c of the puppy mill?

Frenchy
March 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Does Nelly have any problems b/c of the puppy mill?

She has come a long way , she is doing very good. But she still have submissive pee (happened 3-4 times for the past weeks) , will get scared sometimes, and it's only been 3 weeks since she doesn't have to be in her crate while I'm at work. So it took a year for her to be loose in the house without destroying window frames , carpets and so on. It was all worth it though. :thumbs up

OnelnAMiII25
March 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
awwww poor girl. At least she's make progress and has a loving home now. I wish i could have another dog now. Gianna has really bad food aggrssion, not w/ people, but with other dogs. Many of times we had to stop a huge fight between my dog and my moms dog when we lived in jersey. Everytime they would fight (moms dog is a rhodesian ridgeback/pit bull mix) gianna would always be the one hurt. And gianna was bigger then Meeka too. I guess it's just the pit bull in her. :shrug: Gianna actually has a slit in one of her ears :cry: from my moms dog. I wish i had a pic of that. I'l have to take one tomorrow and post it. We like to call it her "Snaggle Ear"

chico2
March 14th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Wow,Gianna is so beautiful and there is absolutely no such thing as too many pics:thumbs up
Frenchy those pics of Nelly are great,I don't think I saw them before,except for the action-pic,she looks very regal and beautiful,our Nelly:lovestruck:

OnelnAMiII25
March 14th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I just realized that I really have no pictures of Gianna as a puppy.... I do have a whole picture album of her, but not on my computer. Some of thse pics are even cuter!! I'm trying to scan them onto my computer so I can post them. I'llpost them as soon as i do so.

Thank you chico!!

rainbow
March 15th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Awwww....the pic of Gianna at 5-6 months old is sooo cute. :lovestruck: The one with her sponge bob socks is too funny. :D And, I love the pic of her sleeping upside down and the one with her daddy. :cloud9:

breeze
March 15th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Love the picture of Gianna on the table..:cloud9::cloud9:

you should start a new thread and put all her beautiful pictures in it, you can never post to many.. We love seeing her..

OnelnAMiII25
March 15th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Awwww....the pic of Gianna at 5-6 months old is sooo cute. :lovestruck: The one with her sponge bob socks is too funny. :D And, I love the pic of her sleeping upside down and the one with her daddy. :cloud9:

Thank you! She used to love to get dressed up. It just so happens, she is the same size as me and fits into all my clothes. But now she runs away. She must have gotten hurt one time i dressed her up :sad:
She loves her daddy. I had Gianna 4 years b4 i met him. And i knew the second he came over for the first time he was the one. She didn't ever warm up to any of my boyfriends. But she just loved him as soon as she met him. and now i think he might have stolen my dog. I think she may love him a little more now. :lovestruck: I dont mind, i love him just as much. No one could lve my dog as much as me, but he does!! I'm very lucky!!

OnelnAMiII25
March 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Love the picture of Gianna on the table..:cloud9::cloud9:

you should start a new thread and put all her beautiful pictures in it, you can never post to many.. We love seeing her..
i think i will make a new thread just of her. anyone else is welcome to put there pics on there too. I'll call it Gianna Amore Blu's Pictures. I was unable to scan her puppy pics. I have to use someone else scanner. But they'll be up soon.

OnelnAMiII25
March 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Just a little update!!!

Gianna used her doggy door last night @ 4:30am all by herself. YAY!!

All day yesterday we were in the backyard/front yard planting grass seed. She learned how to use it that way. Everytime we wold put her back inside so we could go to the store, she would go back outside looking for us. I'm soooo happy. Finaly a full night sleep. This also means I dont have to find someone to go over my house and let my dog out b/c i wont be home for awhile (Which i hate to do, i hate to leave my dog home alone for more than 2-3 hours)

BusterKitty
March 15th, 2008, 11:50 AM
You were watching at 4:30 in the morning?:laughing: At least you'll finally get some sleep:sleepy:

Frenchy
March 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Gianna used her doggy door last night @ 4:30am all by herself. YAY!!

Way to go Gianna :highfive:

rainbow
March 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
WOOO HOOO for Gianna !!! :highfive:

Okay....now we want pics of her coming throgh the door. :D

OnelnAMiII25
March 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
:sad:Another little update..... Gianna seems to be going backwards. :wall: I got up twice with her to let her out. I hear her get up everytime, and i just wait to listen if she uses the door. Well she cried and winned for 5 mins. She won't go out the thing. My boyfriend said she did it like 5 or 6 times yesterday while he was in the back yard.She has no problem coming back in thru the door. I guess I;m just going to have to work with her a little more

Kashi
March 16th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Gianna is gorgeous !

Good luck with the door. I live in a not-so-good type of neighbourhood here, and a doggie door that big would be an invitation to some of the more unscrupulous folk around.

Though - with a dog the size of Gianna on the other side of the door, I'd hope they'd think twice about coming in uninvited.

OnelnAMiII25
March 16th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Gianna is gorgeous !

Though - with a dog the size of Gianna on the other side of the door, I'd hope they'd think twice about coming in uninvited.

Thank you! And thats what i'm hoping for. I'd hope other people would be afraid of her.

Dracko
March 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM
When you go out in the back yard (perhaps with a favorite toy of hers or a treat) do so and stay there until she's come through the doggie door. Don't ever let her go through the human door regardless if you are there or not.

Today, whatever is her favorite treat I'd let her see you have it...go out back...and call her...perhaps wedging the doggie door open so she doesn't have to push it. When you come in do the same thing. Then maybe it will become less about going through the door to her and more about concentrating on the "treat".

Just an idea.

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 08:01 AM
When you go out in the back yard (perhaps with a favorite toy of hers or a treat) do so and stay there until she's come through the doggie door. Don't ever let her go through the human door regardless if you are there or not.

Today, whatever is her favorite treat I'd let her see you have it...go out back...and call her...perhaps wedging the doggie door open so she doesn't have to push it. When you come in do the same thing. Then maybe it will become less about going through the door to her and more about concentrating on the "treat".

Just an idea.

Thank you for your input. That what we've been doing with her. And last night she went out it herself whjile we were sleeping. So i guess she's just a stubornd doggy and only uses the door by her self when she feels like it. :frustrated: Silly dog. I'll try to get a picture of her going in it/out it today.

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Ok finally got them, here are the pics of her using the doggy door

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0515.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0516.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/onelnamiii25/DSCF0512.jpg

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Good Doggy!
She's just adorable:lovestruck:
Are you not worried she might encounter raccoons,skunks etc..when she goes out by herself at night??
Or worse yet,be stolen:confused:

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Good Doggy!
She's just adorable:lovestruck:
Are you not worried she might encounter raccoons,skunks etc..when she goes out by herself at night??
Or worse yet,be stolen:confused:

Thank you!! I;m not too worried about other animals. she's afraid of her own shadow, so if she hears something rustling in the yard,she will run right back inside as fast as she could.
About the stealing..... i don't think anyone in this very small town would want a dog this big. They rarely even know what kind of dog she is. We have locks on our gats that u can only open from the inside. I guess I should put "beware of dogs" signs up. I also dont' think she goes outside very often when i'm not home.

But now u got me thinking (i already have the most pessimistic mind) If she was stolen...... someone would now know she has pancreatic innsuffiency, and she would probably die with out her special meds. Thanks alot....lol

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Aww,sorry about that,did not mean to make you worry,but the sad truth is dogs get stolen all the time:sad:
However,your backyard seems secure enough and like you say,she probably would run inside if someone came in the yard.

pbpatti
March 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hooray for Gianna, way to go girl. pbp

rainbow
March 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Awww....the second pic she's saying "see mom I can do it". :D Cute pics :lovestruck: ....thanks for posting them. :D