Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diabetic dog that can no longer hold his bowels.

Concerned Owner
March 12th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Hello everyone. I've got 3 dogs, one of which is a blind, male, diabetic. The blindness was brought on by the diabetes that he developed over our years of having him. More recently, he's been unable to control his bowel movements. He goes in the middle of the night and at other times of the day, inside the house. I've noticed, when he goes to the bathroom outside, he does sort of a walking bowel movement, instead of squatting in a single spot and remaining there until his business is done.

My family thinks it's a sign of the worst coming. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

clm
March 12th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I would ask my vet if there's something that can help him control his bowels a little better or if it's a sign of something else wrong. I haven't had any experience with a diabetic animal.
Sending best wishes for your dog. :D

Cindy

Concerned Owner
March 12th, 2008, 10:14 AM
He was on his way to the vet right now, I've gotten word that he let go in the truck too.

What else could this be a sign of?

clm
March 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry, I really don't know, but I hope he's going to be okay and the vet can give you some answers. Please let us know how he is.

Cindy

Concerned Owner
March 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
They prescribed RIMADYL for him. They say he has arthritis in his lower back region and it's causing him to lose control of his bowels.

Thanks.

hazelrunpack
March 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I'm sorry your dog is having troubles. :fingerscr that the rimadyl works for him.

You might also want to look into a good chondroitin/glucosamine supplement. We've had good luck with it!

ETA: hmmmm...but if your dog is diabetic, you'd need to keep very close watch on the blood sugar--when the glucosamine is split, it splits off a molecule of glucose...

Longblades
March 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
If rimadyl helps then he can't be too bad. My Lab girl was on much stronger meds. for her bad back in her later years. However, her pain meds did not improve her fecal incontinence, something you may find with your dog as well.

Fecal incontinence is usually much easier to deal with than urinary incontinence; you can just pick them up and discard as needed. Nighttime eliminations get a bit messy if the dog lies in them.

Something that helped our girl was immodium. Prescribed by our Vet, it helps to bulk up the stool and that helps give the dog a little advance notice that a movement is about to happen. Sometimes just enough for them to get out the door. DO NOT self administer this drug, it is fatal for some breeds.

We also changed her diet to Hill's WD. She did not need to lose weight but the higher fibre content helped her control and in her advanced years she began to have trouble digesting food with higher protein and fat content. Again, ask your Vet.