Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Caius

Sebastian
March 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM
About 5 years ago, my brother bought a pedigreed Doberman puppy. However, due to a mix of inexperience and bad situations, the dog developed some issues such as separation anxiety, dog dominance/aggressiveness and whining. In addition, Caius is naturally very dominant. Thanks to Cesar Milan, we've learned to deal with him much better. Now, I take him on long walks, I make him understand that I'm the leader, I am calm and dominant. Our walks have greatly improved and he is much more relaxed, even his separation anxiety and whining have improved a great deal. Nevertheless, the one thing that has persisted is the dog dominance/aggression.

Caius has never been the kind of dog who would jump on other dogs right off the bat, but he used to approach them very quickly and try to either mount them or put his head on their back. Obviously some dogs would dislike this and fights usually broke out. Now, I haven't let him loose in a while because of this behavior. Since learning Cesar's lessons, while we encounter other dogs, he doesn't bark or growl anymore. He kinda understands that I'm the boss, but things aren't necessarily better. For instance, today, after walking him for 2 hours, I went to a dog park. There were only 3 dogs and only 1 was interested in Caius. It was a teenager pitbull who, while not being aggressive, was still a pain in the butt by barking and coming very close. Caius, whom I firmly held in a leash, didn't lash at him first, but he pointed towards him like an arrow with extreme intensity and then tried to run him over but without biting.

Sorry to make this long, but I'm coming down to my point. Should I continue trying to socialize Caius by bringing him to the dog parks or should I focus just on walking and exercising and forget about the socialization part considering that it's already too late.

Usually, Cesar has a bunch of good mannered, submissive dogs to help him with Red zone dogs. Unfortunately, while going to the dog park, I'm almost never sure to find them there.

I attached a picture of Caius. Thank you,

Sebastian

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 12:45 AM
My Aunt is always singing the praises of Cesar Millan, she calls him The Dog Whisperer, lol. Is there any book in specific you would recommend?

pbpatti
March 12th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hi Sebastian, welcome to pets.ca. I don't have any advise but I wanted to comment that He is gorgeous, what a beauty you have. I too like to watch Cesar Milan and have learned a number of things from him. IMO I would just walk Caius and not go to off leash areas. You seem to have good control over him but other dogs like the Pittie you mentioned don't have any off leash manners. pbp

clm
March 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM
He is a very handsome dog. Has he been neutered? That can help sometimes with the dominance/aggression.

Cindy

Longblades
March 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
If I understand correctly your main concern is that Caius tried to put in his place an unruly teenager who needed to learn some manners and Caius didn't even try to bite but merely push him away. In my opinion your dog behaved admirably and it is the other dog who needs lessons.

In addition it sounds like Caius was at a disadvantage, being on-leash, while the other was off-leash. Did I get that part right? Unless you think Caius might have escalated his protest to savage biting and the other dog would have responded to that I think you have an adult dog who behaved incredibly well with a young dog who has some growing up to do. As a person with a young puppy who is pushy and rude sometimes I look for a well behaved, fairly tolerant dog like your sounds to be, to teach mine the rules of doggy interaction.

So I think, from only what you've posted, that Caius is doing very well and you should keep up with the socialization. As many here have pointed out, dog parks are maybe not the best place to do this as the "pack" hierarchy is constantly changing and that might pose a problem for any dog, regardless of disposition.

Ford Girl
March 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
If I understand correctly your main concern is that Caius tried to put in his place an unruly teenager who needed to learn some manners and Caius didn't even try to bite but merely push him away. In my opinion your dog behaved admirably and it is the other dog who needs lessons.

In addition it sounds like Caius was at a disadvantage, being on-leash, while the other was off-leash. Did I get that part right? Unless you think Caius might have escalated his protest to savage biting and the other dog would have responded to that I think you have an adult dog who behaved incredibly well with a young dog who has some growing up to do. As a person with a young puppy who is pushy and rude sometimes I look for a well behaved, fairly tolerant dog like your sounds to be, to teach mine the rules of doggy interaction.

So I think, from only what you've posted, that Caius is doing very well and you should keep up with the socialization. As many here have pointed out, dog parks are maybe not the best place to do this as the "pack" hierarchy is constantly changing and that might pose a problem for any dog, regardless of disposition.

I agree with this for sure both the manners and dog park. Dog parks are full of unstable dogs and owners, they can be both wonderful places to play and socialize as well as a place with incidents waiting to happen...

Check this out...

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

jessi76
March 12th, 2008, 04:27 PM
what a gorgeous dobe!

I would imagine that having a dog on leash, in a mostly off leash area, would be problematic. The leashed dog will no doubt have an intensified "fight or flight" response to confrontation. what else is a leashed dog to do really? and as longblades said, I think your dog acted very well given the circumstances. had it been MY dog... omg, I imagine I'd have a screaming crazy psycho dog on the end of my leash. (and my dog is well trained, but is NOT happy when a pack of unleashed dogs comes up when he is ON leash)