Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dieing dog, I need help...

Horsey Mom
March 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Before I get flamed, my dog is at the vet right now and I am looking for external help. My dog is dieing and I'm desperate to find an answer other than the one I'm facing.

My Rhayn is a 6 yr old APBT, has been healthy all her life and is the ultimate family pet. She is the best girl of two little boys, and my baby. She is my shadow, my constant companion and the best dog I could ever ask for. Here is our story:

Rhayn started going off her food, but was hungry. She just didn't want her normal food, but would eat other dry food (Blue Buffalo to dental formula gotte from the vet as she just had her teeth done Jan 25th). So we chaulked it up to her being picky.

Last thursday she turned into a different dog. We described it as though someone had snuck into the house and beat our dog. She was flinching at being touched, would shy away from a hand stroking her head, and didn't want the kids touching her. She would shiver and was very lethargic and depressed.

By saturday she was VERY lethargic and depressed, eyes hanging like a basset hounds and so off to the vet we went. Heart rate, breathing and temp all normal. Bloodwork showed that her White Blood Cell count was very low, as was her Red Blood Cell count. Her Liver/gallbladder reading showed it was very elevated (79 on Jan 25th to 258). Everything else including hydration looked fine. We left with antibiotics and anti-inflamatories on board via injection and pills of each to take home. Shaky on her feet and shivering.

Sat evening and Sunday she was doing better. More alert, eatting again, much less depressed and lethargic.

Monday - she was down again, not as bad as saturday. into the vet we go as she has not fallen down twice (mainly back legs giving out). Still eatting and drinking, just not as much. Blood work shows her WBC are down even more (very few immature cells present in sample), RBC are holding steady and liver/gallbladder are looking better. Everything else still normal. Shaking, shivering and very lethargic and depressed. Spends the night at the hospital with IV antiobiotics.

Tuesday - Bloodwork today shows WBC down even more, and NO immature WBC are present in the sample this time. RBC are also down now, and hemoglobin too. Xrays of her whole body were clean. No infection, no tumours, nothing. The vet confered with the pathology dept at the Sask University (vet dept obviously!) and they all feel it is either Meningitis (but she has no seizures), bone cancer (marrow is doing nothing it appears) or autoimmune disease (but both bloodcell counts are declining not just one....I can't remember which one the vet said usually declines, but it is usually only one).

I fear that my beloved Rhayn's days are numbered. The meningitis tests would have to be done at Saskatoon, and that is just not feisable for us. A bone marrow tap would confirm cancer or not, and putting her on Prednisone would fix the immune disease issue.

Is there anything we're missing? Basically our next step is going on Pred and PRAYING it works, but the signs point towards bone cancer. I'm a devistated and desperate pet owner seeking out any help or advise on anything we may have missed! My sweet Rhayn is sleeping at the vet tonight again and when we visited her today, all she wanted was to follow her kids into the truck and go home. My heart is breaking, my tears won't stop and I desperatly want to help my Rhayn girl.:cry:

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Your story gets me all misty eyed and makes me want to hug my puppy and never let him go. It's a scary thing when a pet gets sick, and I've had my share of experiences. I don't know what to tell you about her illness, but I just want you to know that we're all thinking of you and yours, and hoping Rahyn can pull through this. Luckily, she has you to be with her through this, good or bad - and that is all she could ever ask for.

loopoo
March 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM
my prayers are with you and your sweet pup... it sounds like your vets are doing all that is right.. the only thing that came to my mind is the initial dental appt. you said she had. could it be possible that there is an infection or abcess that they missed in one tooth? :fingerscr that they find something, or that the pred works. please keep us updated :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
March 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I do hope the vets find the right answers for your sweet girl :goodvibes::fingerscr:grouphug:

I'm wondering if they have considered toxic poisoning from the dental formula food? (Recalled Pet food disaster from 07 comes to mind) Have they done a full liver & kidney function tests?


:grouphug: :pray:ing for you & your baby

Horsey Mom
March 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Thank you for the kind words, I'm a royal mess right now!

We at first thought maybe a tooth as well. But with all the antibiotics she's been getting, it should be WAY better and things are getting worse. Also the xrays confirm no infection anywhere. Other dogs have gotten the food (it was just Dental month <Jan> so the food has been given out to lots of dogs, no one else is sick). But I will ask anyways because I have nothing to loose.

growler~GateKeeper
March 12th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Sometimes its 1 bag that slipped through the proper testing or was expired or something


Maybe ask your vet to check if the antibiotics or anti-inflammatories have known reactions in APBTs, some breeds react differently to certain drugs/vaccines etc :shrug:

:grouphug:

want4rain
March 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
gosh, this sounds like baby Sway all over again. :( im so sorry... no advice, just a few tears and some hopes to send your way.

-ashley

Winston
March 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
OMG this does sound like baby Sway all over again. I am so sorry you are going through this...pls have a loook at this thread and see if it helps you with some informatiion:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42910&highlight=anemia

Cindy

Purpledomino
March 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I can't offer any advice or suggestions, as it sounds like they are exploring every possibility here. I hope that they find something they missed, and your girl recovers asap. Best of luck and hugs......:grouphug:

Horsey Mom
March 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone, we're holding out hope that something can help Rhayn. I called the clinic this morning and they say that she has eatten breakfast and is drinking well. They really like her there and they say she is so smart, sweet and loving. And she really is, her temperment has not changed one bit with being sick, she is just more tired but no less sweet and loving.

Today I think we are going to go with the Pred and see if that helps. I want so badly to be positive, but that low WBC count and lack of immature WBC just disheartens me. But will the very best we can for Rhayn even if that means pain management and lots of love.

:fingerscr Heres to Rhayn getting better!!:lovestruck:

rainbow
March 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I am very sorry to hear about Rhayn. :grouphug: I also thought about Josh's dog Sway and you should read the thread that Winston posted as well as the links that Josh posted in the thread.

Also, I would really try to find a way to go to the vet school at Saskatoon since you are not that far from it. They have all the specialists and equipment there and are cheaper than a regular vet.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Miracles can happen. Sometimes, the body can just patch itself right back up. Love and laughter and affection can be the best medicines when it comes to a beloved pet. I bet that just feeling you and your family near her soothes any pain she might feel.

I have been reading a lot of dog books lately, and when it came to the veterinary section it always mentioned Holistic vets. I don't know much about them except their methods are more natural and, like, spiritual... But perhaps if your normal vet cannot help you you could try with one of those? :shrug:

Horsey Mom
March 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Unfortunetly the tests, etc that she would need are very expensive and we've already looked into it and it will be about $1000 to walk through the door. Breaks my heart, but add that to the bill we already have, we just can't afford it. I'm hoping to hear from the vet asap and I would fall on the floor if I heard her level were doing anything but dropping still. The vet I have her with also does large animals, so I can't nail her down due to calving season. The vet is great, but I don't think I could take another small animal back to her for anything but routine services. She is run off her feet and I'm feeling neglected as an owner. Nothing to do with her as a vet or person, just bad timing is all. Calving season is wicked on a vets time.

I want my dog to come home, I feel like I'm missing out on precious time with her. I know in my heart her time is limited and I want as much as I can have. Cancer is such a b*tch :mad:

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
If this vet is so busy, perhaps you could try another one?

MOOSEDRY
March 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
hi horsey mom.

i'm so sorry to hear of your troubles :sad: i know it's hard to switch vets in the middle of treatment, as you're starting over again with the animal's history, plus the bills start fresh. diagnostics alone are enough to break a person these days, let alone solutions...

i will say prayers for you and your sweet baby. you are a good mom!

hope and wishes,
tracy :pray: