Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chewing on himself.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Guinness is ten weeks, came from a nice clean house and a reputable breeder - certainly not a puppy mill. However, I noticed that sometimes he will shove his whole paw in his mouth, front and back. If he bites me and I say Ouch and move away from him, sometimes he will just bite himself. He isn't biting hard, just sort of mouthing his paws.

Normal?

I've given him a bath to make sure his feet are clean, with moisturizing doggy shampoo meant for long hair breeds, but he was doing this before the bath.

We are seeing the vet next week for his shots, so I suppose I can ask them, but I just wanted to know if this sounded familiar?

duttypaws
March 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
my dog did this as a pup he stopped when we gave him enough toys etc to chew/suck...
he may be loosing/getting big boy teeth.

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Lots of puppies do that. Does he have a Kong to chew on? Whenever you see him chewing something you don't want him to give him his kong or another rubber toy.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I keep hearing about KONG. I guess I need to go buy one. :D

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 06:58 PM
They are one of the best dog toys out there. :thumbs up

Also, do not give your puppy any rawhide, pigs ears, cow hooves or anything else like that. They are known to cause more problems which often end up in vet visits.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I was told Rawhide was fine, but particle press bones were not. I just hate the snapping sound it makes when he chews it (I keep thinking his teeth might break), so I took away the rawhide bone quite a while ago. :thumbs up

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Here's some info....

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/RawhideandChewyTreats.htm