Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stalling.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I have been pretty good about taking my dog out every two hours, and 15 minutes after every meal. He is always supervised, so every once in awhile I catch him assuming the position. He may have made just a little bit of a mess, but he is obviously not finished and would go a lot more if I let him - but I scoop him up, saying "Hey, hey. No. Outside." and deposit him onto the special spot on the lawn. Sometimes I catch him in time so that he doesn't even get to start, but we will sit outside and wait for 15-20 minutes and he will just sniff around or try to climb the front steps.
If puppies have no bladder control and just go when they need to go why won't he go once I put him down? I don't run towards him, or sound angry, or try to be intimidating in any way when I pick him up.

I have started crating him after every unsuccessful try, for about 10-15 minutes. Then we try again. It usually takes 2-3 times before he will go. Today we did this, and he went outside, I brought him and praised him, and ten minutes later he was squatting again - wouldn't go outside - and he's back in the crate.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? What am I doing wrong?

luckypenny
March 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, Chibi. Keep in mind you have a 10 week old pup and he needs a lot of patience and consitency from you. It takes some puppies up to several months to finally getting th ehang of going outside to potty. Keep up what you're doing, make sure you've got a supply of rags and odor neutralizer on hand :D, and just enjoy your pup.

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Guinness is only 10 weeks old. Just keep doing what you're doing and one day Guinness will just "get it". :D

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hee hee....I was saying the same thing as LP at the same time but she types faster than I do. :laughing:

Ford Girl
March 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I does really just click, one day you will realize it's been a few days since you've had to clean up messes...don't think your works done on this day :laughing:...they can have accidents when they are fully trained but still young too...use treats and positive praise, and be consistant...:thumbs up

10 weeks old is nothing...wait till you hit adolecence!! :eek: :laughing: :evil: :cloud9:

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Haha, okay. I think a lot of his reluctance has to do with the weather out here. Lethbridge is known for the weather to change radically for no reason - 2 feet of snow in August, and 25+ degree Celsius weather that pops up in January when there is still 2 feet of snow on the ground, lol.
Right now, as spring is coming, there is wind. When people first come to Lethbrige they think tornadoes are coming while those of us who have been here awhile think it's quite a nice day. Today the wind is howling, the trees are bending, and when I put the puppy on the grass his ears lift like fluffy black flags and sometimes he gets knocked over.

As for adolescence we plan on hiring a professional trainer. We are not messing around with a breed like a Daxie. That is just asking for trouble. :laughing:

P.S. I put him in the cage for his 15 minutes when I originally posted, but he feel asleep so he is still in there. :cloud9: He is such an angel.

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Today the wind is howling, the trees are bending, and when I put the puppy on the grass his ears lift like fluffy black flags and sometimes he gets knocked over.

Awww....poor baby......did you get pics? :D

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Haha, he won't stand still long enough. As soon as I move he races behind my legs, trying to get me to block the wind and giving me those "What have I done to deserve this?" eyes.

Ford Girl
March 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
As for adolescence we plan on hiring a professional trainer. We are not messing around with a breed like a Daxie. That is just asking for trouble. :laughing:

P.S. I put him in the cage for his 15 minutes when I originally posted, but he feel asleep so he is still in there. :cloud9: He is such an angel.

Good idea for sure!! Are there alot of options in Lethbridge? There are so many stages of their deveopment, just when you think you've got one licked they hit another!! Of course they are so cute :angel:, it makes up for any naughtiness :evil: !

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
My boyfriend knows a girl at work whose mother is a dog trainer, so he is going to ask about her and he other places she knows, but there are not too many options that are in town.

There is one trainer, Christina Holgate, who does a series of things. I need to find out more about her of course, but she sounds nice.
Diva Dogs (http://geocities.com/divadogs_ab/)
My boyfriend is interested in her 2-4 week program where you actually drop the puppy off and it lives with her and her dogs and she trains him. I would need to meet her and find out everything about her before I could even consider leaving my baby with a stranger, though.

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Hmmm...I wouldn't just drop off a puppy and leave it with the trainer. Obedience classes are something you both should attend. YOU are the one that is alpha to YOUR dog not the trainer. And, if this is your first dog, you will learn just as much as your puppy from the classes.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Our issue is transportation, as neither my boyfriend and I own a car. :eek: He was a student and so never bought one, and I will be a student this coming fall and we actually live a block away from the University, so I did not want to factor having a car and insurance payments in with my student loans.
It would be easier to send him away to Puppy Boarding School, and the trainer assures that there will be a transfer of authority, where you come over at the end of the time period and are taught how to take command, and etc. Like I said, we are doing more research and are not just handing our baby to a stranger.

We will figure something out. I know that there are trainers that will actually come to your house and work with you there, which might be an option as well.

BusterBoo
March 11th, 2008, 08:50 PM
10 week old puppy! Potty training 101 will be in order! Depending on the dog and the breed and how persistant you are, it can take a while before they "get it". Lots of TLC, treats and persistance!

as for obedience training, some of the best times I had with Buster were at obedience class, watching a young pup try and keep up with the other dogs! If you can get someone to come into your home for training, that would be great. I think your doggie would be more at ease, less stressed and might
re-act quicker with training in the home.

Good luck!!!

Ford Girl
March 12th, 2008, 02:52 PM
My boyfriend knows a girl at work whose mother is a dog trainer, so he is going to ask about her and he other places she knows, but there are not too many options that are in town.

There is one trainer, Christina Holgate, who does a series of things. I need to find out more about her of course, but she sounds nice.
Diva Dogs (http://geocities.com/divadogs_ab/)
My boyfriend is interested in her 2-4 week program where you actually drop the puppy off and it lives with her and her dogs and she trains him. I would need to meet her and find out everything about her before I could even consider leaving my baby with a stranger, though.

I would want to be there, you are the one that will need to work with your dog every day, how are you going to learn the skills you need to be a good owner if you are not there?

Dogs are very smart critters, what they do for your trainer in class won't be the same behavior at home with you unless you are both on the same page using the same words, signals and have the same expectations. How do you knwo what your pups learnt and how do you know hoe they are progressing or what triggers them?

What you are describing sounds more like a boot camp then a puppy kindergarden oe basic obedience, they do use this form of training as rehabilitation for dogs who need to be socialize and live with other dogs to learn normal behavior.

And if you decide this is the best way for you and your family, due to transportation reasons (we all understand that!) then get several referals in writting, speak with clients and customers, and not just this persons family and friends, I would be leary trusting someone 100% with my dog for weeks at a time without being there.

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I wish I could understand his stalling. I catch him about to go, and scoop him out just as one little piece falls to the floor/dribbles a little tiny bit, and rush him outside, and then it's like he never had to go in the first place. :frustrated:

Oh, if we were to send him away we would have references and etc. etc. I would never just hand my puppy to a stranger and hope for the best if I knew nothing about her. :D And we haven't ruled out the classes at all, I'd like to go, it's just about making it work.

allymack
March 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Today we did this, and he went outside, I brought him and praised him, and ten minutes later he was squatting again - wouldn't go outside - and he's back in the crate.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? What am I doing wrong?

first off, i dont htink your doing anything wrong. but next time he goes outside, praise him outside, so he know he went in the right spot, give him a treat or a little play session. if you praise him inside, he probably wont know what he is getting praised for.

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I only praise him when he goes outside, I guess I wasn't too clear about that. :laughing: When we are on our way outside I use the word a lot, so he learns to associate the word properly. "Do you want to go OUTSIDE? We're going OUTSIDE! Yay OUTSIDE! Here we are - OUTSIDE!" And as soon as he is on the grass I say "Go pee!" And try to sound excited and encouraging, and say "Good boy, good pee!" when he goes, sounding like a lunatic.

The problem is that when I interrupt him inside he won't GO once he is outside, so I can't praise him for the correction.

06canyon
March 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hopefully its warm enough where you are now to stay outside until he does the right thing. Then praise and maybe a little treat. Tia got to cold to stay outside until she did something so we would go inside to warm up then right back outside. She doesn't like the wind either. Good luck and plenty of patience

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM
It is getting warmer, usually a few degrees positive (Celsius), but the wind has been constant lately as a chinook is likely blowing in. He gets cold fast because he only weighs a few pounds... Also the grass is very distracting. So many sticks and leaves and crab apples and lady bugs to inspect.

wmcneely
March 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
"Do you want to go OUTSIDE? We're going OUTSIDE! Yay OUTSIDE! Here we are - OUTSIDE!" And as soon as he is on the grass I say "Go pee!" And try to sound excited and encouraging, and say "Good boy, good pee!" when he goes, sounding like a lunatic.

I would praise him in a calm voice. I started out with an encouraging tone, and wasn't getting as good of results as I wanted. I listened to the training podcasts available here and they suggest using a calm voice, almost a whisper to praise the dog. I think that you will find it in either the Jumping Dogs or Dogs that Pull podcasts. Although the podcasts don't deal with this issue directly, they do set a bit of groundwork into place for future training, and again the message is consistent and calm. (A quick thanks to Marko and all of his guests for some great information!)

I put these into action and have had a lot more success with my furry friend than before when trying to learn new behaviors and habits.

Hope that helps, and enjoy the journey.

Desiree16
March 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Luckily I never had this problem, right from the get go Shadow would go outside. The only thing really is when we got him he was INFESTED with worms and so when we gave him the medication to kill them off he had frequent accidents in the house... but it's not like he could help it, poor guy. Another thing is teaching your pup the command "Go for a Pee" or "Go Pee"... on those cold days or days where it's raining it really helps. Let him out say, Go Pee he goes back in and done ^^. Of course it does take time and it sounds like you're doing a good job so far.:thumbs up

caharris
March 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Oh, I am SO right in the same boat as you!! I just posted the same exact frustration under my 'Working Moms of New Puppies'. I went home for lunch...and we went outside 3 times! Each time....no potty. Just tinkle. Then we're inside, and he starts his sniffing and funny walk (what he does). Then outside....nothing....inside....then outside....nothing...inside. I get so upset because I just want him to go since I have to go back to work. He just wants to play when he's outside and eat everything in site. I do the 'praise for a potty', positive reinforcement, crate training...but he LOVES to stall.

So I don't have any advise, but know that there is someone else out there going thru the same thing!! I just told my friend...obedience training can't get here fast enough for m (not til Aptil 27th). I have a long few weeks of exercising my patience.

Good luck to you! Hopefully others will have some good advice for us. And I'll pass along anything that I hear as well.

cockermother
March 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Are you taking him inside right after he goes? Dogs learn fast based on their interests, and if potty signals the end of outside time, they will hold it for as long as they can so that they can stay outside. If this is the case, then you need to make sure that there is some more outside time AFTER potty so that he's not learning that going potty means his fun is all over...