Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming Vist

jealma
March 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Today is Abby's first visit to the groomer. She's 11 weeks old and a Shih Tzu. It maybe a little early but I want her to not have fear of going, and since she doesn't need a lot of work done, I"m hoping it will be less tamadic?
Perhaps someone here may have suggestions for me about her first visit? Or what to keep an eye on.

hazelrunpack
March 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM
When Priscilla went to the groomer, I always went with her. Find a groomer that doesnt' mind the owner peering over her shoulder, and stay with your little one. At 11 weeks, this is a pretty major experience for her. Don't offer sympathy if she gets a little nervous--keep your voice calm and upbeat instead.

As for what to watch out for, the most common complaint I hear about groomers is that they cut the quicks when they cut the nails. Our groomer was pretty good at it--she never once cut a quick on Priscilla--but I've always made it a practice to clip my dogs' claws myself. Since your pup is so young, now would be the ideal time to start handling her feet and clipping the tips on her nails to get her used to it. If you need some instruction in how to do it, ask the groomer to show you--just make sure she's not cutting them too close so you learn properly! A vet tech makes a good teacher, too.

t.pettet
March 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Explain that its pup's 1st. grooming and could you possibly get her an appoinrment when its not too busy, a calmer environment will be less stressful for Abby. If you are permitted to stay try not to interfere or show nervousness as this will make Abby fearful.

jealma
March 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
The grooming visit went well. We just did some very basic needs for her like trimming her face hair, and doing her feet. The ears were actually pretty hair clear and the groomer suggested waiting till she was a little older to pull that hair out since she would still be sensitive there. All in all it went well. Abby did not like her face being trimmed managed to survive it wll without too much tramma. Thank you all for the advice.