Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drooling

tntregnier
March 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
My puppy woke up this morning and he is drooling excessively but he is still eating, drinking, playing what could the problem be? He has been eating a lot of table scraps lately and I wondered if that could be the problem. I checked his mouth there are no scratches or anything but he is really drooling what should I do?

OnelnAMiII25
March 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
What kind of puppy is it? My dog drools all the time :yuck: (i like to call it Neo nectuar). But it's more excessive when she she's/smells food! That droool is more sticky. But when she's about to throw up :sick:, her drool is almost like water. Which one is your puppy doing?

tntregnier
March 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM
He is a lab/husky 6 months and he has never done it before it is a little sticky but a lot of it

OnelnAMiII25
March 11th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I know it's winter, but theres a type of frog/toad, that if they lick it, makes them drool. Not sure if it's poisnious. You said he was acting normal right? Have you called a vet yet to just ask them if this was normal?

pitgrrl
March 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
In my experience the most common causes of drooling are nausea, stress/anxiety/fear or pain. In my dogs, drooling because of nausea is usually accompanied by sitting or standing and staring at me, sometimes trying to eat random stuff if they don't have access to grass.

In the case of anxiety or stressed out drooling, they usually shake a little, tuck their tails and try to hide or avoid the thing stressing them out (which is rather hard when it's a thunderstorm :laughing:).

If those things are ruled out, I'd probably be heading off to the vet if it continued.

tntregnier
March 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
It's weird he is fine but there is a puddle of drool where ever he goes to sleep. He' sbeen for his walks and has eaten his breakfast been outside playing but Iwas with him so I am not sure what is going on his nose is cool and wet so I don't think h s feeling sick.. I am going to call the vet though to see if he just has an upset tummy

tntregnier
March 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I don't see anything changed in him but the drool. Is that your dog? I love pits. We used to have one but my husband's ex wanted her so we had to give her back. She was the most awesome dog lick you to death and play that's about all she did. I am calling the vet to see what they say

tntregnier
March 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I called the vet and they told me to keep an eye on him but they think he just has an upset tummy so we'll see a the day goes but I don't like it when he is sick.:fingerscr

OnelnAMiII25
March 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I wish my dogs drooling was just an upset tummy. I've got pools of drool thru out the house, It's on everything. I love when i put on new socks and walk thur the kitchen to step in a cold squishy pool of droll.
I hope you puppy feels better. Maybe u can try rubbing his tummy. That always helps with my dog.

tntregnier
March 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks I am keeping a close eye just in case but since he is a mix they said that he might end up being a drooler with lab in him so we'll see what happens I hope it is only an upset tummy, I am runining through the house with towels mopping everything up!! Price to pay for a furry child.

coppperbelle
March 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
This happened to one of my dogs a few weeks ago. She had been with me all day so I know she didn't get into any poisons. The only thing I did notice was that at one point she was digging in the snow but I didn't see any critters. A few hours later she ate her dinner and about an hour later I noticed the excessive drooling. It lasted a few hours and then stopped.

the gang
March 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM
just maby the pup is losing some teeth good luck

OnelnAMiII25
March 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Is your puppy still drooling?