Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Open letter to Marko

Deda Brada
March 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Yesterday I got reply to one my post. There was a sentence in it, interesting but woeful. Here it is:
... Comparing children to animals is just dumb.

I told you when I introduced myself, that my English is not quite good. My vocabulary says it means stupid. www.answers.com says the same: Conspicuously unintelligent; stupid. OK, I am stupid, 'cause only stupid does stupid things.

There were some other mails the other day, I'll cite parts of just two of them:
Hi out there! My name is waterbabies. I have two legged kids a step daughter with two legs and three four legged kids.
Cassiebaby My kids and I are all new to this(by kids I mean my 4, 4 legged kids).

Maybe it would be fair to inform them that they are stupid too? Thanks to this forum I have found out that, loving pets and treating them like children, and comparing them to children, is stupid thing. Well, I know what I am, lastly.

I am not as affected by statement that I am stupid, as I am by the fact that such people exist on this forum.

I'd be grateful if you could somehow estimate the ratio between us, stupid people, and those clever ones on this forum.

Yours truly Deda

clm
March 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Deda Brada There are lots of wonderful members here, your hostility has ended up getting some directed right back at you. You attract more bees with honey than fire. :shrug:

Cindy

duttypaws
March 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
*sigh* I have to agree with clm everyone I have met on here is really helpful and friendly (and they answer my mundane questions with patience).

*teacher hat on*

As an English learner you will have to realise that people use expressions out of context and not in such a hard manner as someone who is unfamiliar with these expressions (in English). I use the expression dumb all the time but im not randomly calling people stupid its just used in general speech all the time

i.e. well that was a dumb idea (yes it means stupid but its not really the most offensive... I could just be making it as a joke... ) , I also call my dog dumb dumb he doesnt seem to offended by it.

I have even come across this being an Scottish resident IN Montreal where they use words in certain ways I wouldnt (French and English).... it takes time to adapt and reeducate yourself on phrases that are used regionally...

You will come across MANY of these expressions as we found with "farting about" in another thread not that long ago.... there are many idioms and similies that various English regions use....

Im sure Badger who loves all her animals in a big big way (as does everyone on this forum) doesnt mean that its stupid to not treat your animal as a child BUT there is a limit I agree with her in a way that in the end a human is a human and a animal is an animal but that doesnt stop you treating your pet with the biggest love and respect.

just my :2cents:

CearaQC
March 11th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Deda you can't expect people in North America to think in the same way you do. Although I can understand where you are coming from.

Now take a step back and try to understand where the people on this forum are coming from.

You live basically a war torn area, no? Serbia has not always experienced good, happy or peaceful times. Then again I don't think any part of the world has... but now you have to deal with Kosovo separatist stuff. I'm sure things aren't too sunny these days.

Now I'm about to say some things that most people in N America might hate me for, even though I was born in N America.

Many people over here live their lives based on what's on TV. They eat, drink and sleep by the television's schedule. They are sucked into advertising, with constant psy ops images being forced on them, dictating their daily lives. Most are living out Orwell's worst nightmares and they don't even realize it. Most live with their heads in the sand like an ostrich, and have absolutely no clue what is going on in the world around them. And a good number probably couldn't even find your country on a map.

Watch the movie "Network" Howard's monologue is pretty much self explanatory. Here's the monologue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN3s2iVKKI

People in N America have been sheltered in a way and are thus naive. They don't really know what it's like to live in a war torn nation. They are able to go to sleep at night without fear of bomb sirens going off (at least not recently), but fear the boogeyman is going to break into homes and steal precious material things. Homes or apartments, filled to the brim with junk. Cars, TVs, computers and game consoles. Their lives are filled with either work or mindless entertainment. Their bodies are being pumped full of chemicals and exposed to all sorts of radiation that they aren't even aware of. All that matters to most N Americans is that they have their fun, clothes, and cheap plastic... and it doesn't matter about the rest of the world.

There are unspoken social rules in N America. And one of them is to never give medical advice of any sort online, for humans or animals. Why? Because people are afraid of being legally sued, blamed, etc. N America is a continent of fear. Most feel that only "experts" with alphabet soup titles behind their names, earned at "universities," which only teach what they want the student to know and nothing more. And most students have no desire to learn further, thus believing what they are told (indoctrination), and then go around preaching about what he/she knows and how that's "just the way it is, I'm an expert." And anyone without a degree is treated like a nobody, a peon not worthy to give advice and therefore shouldn't.

I don't agree with it and I don't like it. But that's how it is over here.

So save your breath to cool your porridge and join the rest of the world in shaking heads in utter confusion trying to understand us crazy North Americans.

:laughing:

Love4himies
March 11th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Well said, CearaQC, especially about our fear of being sued. It is crazy here, nobody has to take personal responsibility, it is always somebody else's fault.

Sadly, it is true here, in general, if you don't have that university degree, your knowledge is not respected.

Winston
March 11th, 2008, 07:49 AM
To whom this concerns:

I would like to say that just because we all have differences of opinion we all are here for the same reason! To discuss and help out those that need advice or guidance..Having said that I thnk there is a distinct difference between suggesting someone try pumpkin lets say for a dog having the runs and telling someone how much meds to administer....I would think it would be less harmful for someone to try pumpkin vs medication.

I would also think that we are all adults here who should be able to understand that we may not agree with one another we are too show simple kindness.

Deda Brada you made several comments on a previous thread that I could have perceived as being argumentative BUT I did not enagage you with a fight! rather I continued to ask the person who needed advice how I could help them out, perhaps you need to look at this and not take it so personally.

How do you think that person that started the thread must have felt?? Seeing US GOING ON AT EACH OTHER OVER WHAT?? I really dont care where any members live whether that be Canada, USA, Serbia or anywhere else because I dont think it matters!! We all come here for our own reasons whatever that may be..

I would also like to say that it is not right to compare the veterinary services you receive in a different country to those here in Canada. It is just not the same. You may have a cheaper cost to do this work in your country but to say that we should not pay our vets what we do is not right. We pay for the services and we dont have much choice in the matter. Whether that makes the vet rich here or not doesnt really matter. I could choose to look for one that is of lesser cost. I cant go to the store here in Canada and try to make a deal for a loaf of bread whereas you may be able to do that in your home country. In Canada the price is the price and thats it!

Deda Brada perhaps your approach to this forum should be "okay what can I add to this forum that we be of benefit to others rather than argue about mute points! I dont mean this in a bad way either!

I hope we didnt scare MichaelIreland away from the forum with this silly behaviour!

Cindy

SARAH
March 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
If I were to get offended by everything, or irritated over some of the comments here, I'd have stopped coming ages ago! Tolerance does avoid wars ... :2cents:

Pike
March 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
This should be a PM to Marko directly, not a thread in the open forum. As such, it will now be closed, and any further issues regarding this topic should be sent directly to Marko.

marko
March 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Deda Brada,

We are an AMAZING group of people around here that try hard to help. We have been doing this for years. If you are not happy with members, advice, mods admins...well you know, the internet is a big place.

If you have an issue with how our forum is run, PM me, I always listen.

I would highly suggest you read the rules again and simmer down.

Thanks in advance,

Marko