Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The 10 Do's and Don'ts of Housebreaking.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 01:08 AM
A brief questionnaire, as I would like to compare methods to perfect mine. Feel free to add any 'What' questions of your own if you can think of anything else. :thumbs up

1. What do you do when you find a puddle/pile on the floor that is already at least 30 seconds old, and the dog is nowhere near it?

2. What do you do when you catch you puppy when he is 'assuming the position' and about to have an accident?

3. What do you do when you catch you puppy in mid-accident?

4. What do you do if the puppy will sleep in his crate all night long, but can't stand to be seperated from you even for the briefest moment (having a shower, leaving the house, etc.)?

5. What do you do if you catch your puppy chewing something he shouldn't be?

6. What do you do if you catch him 'digging' between couch cushions, on the carpet, etc.?

7. What do you do when you puppy nips at your fingers?

8. What do you do when you catch your puppy doing something that is hard on his body (My Daxie has a fragile back and can't jump off of things)?

9. What do you do if your dog does not seem interested in eating, but no change in atmosphere/routine has occured and he was eating fine the day before?

10. What do you do if your puppy ever bites/growls/shows any disrespect against a human, or the 'Pack Leader'?

clm
March 11th, 2008, 07:27 AM
1. What do you do when you find a puddle/pile on the floor that is already at least 30 seconds old, and the dog is nowhere near it?

Make sure the dog isn't around to watch and then clean it up.

2. What do you do when you catch you puppy when he is 'assuming the position' and about to have an accident?
We've always said "No, outside" and then take the puppy out.
Same as previous, except for cleaning up what they've already managed to do inside. Just make sure they don't watch you clean up after then.
4. What do you do if the puppy will sleep in his crate all night long, but can't stand to be seperated from you even for the briefest moment (having a shower, leaving the house, etc.)?
I wish I knew the answer, have had trouble this way with Baxter from the beginning.
Say "NO, take it away if I can (ie it's not a chair leg or something) and then give the puppy something he is allowed to chew on. Then spray immovable objects (like table legs) with bitter apple if necessary.
6. What do you do if you catch him 'digging' between couch cushions, on the carpet, etc.?
For the couch I would say "NO" and take him off the couch. As for the rug, I have a throw mat on the carpet in the livingroom that the cats and dogs are allowed to dig all they want. It was purchased specifically for that purpose...more for the cats but the dogs love to work on it too.
Say "ouch" and then "no biting"
8. What do you do when you catch your puppy doing something that is hard on his body (My Daxie has a fragile back and can't jump off of things)?
Cringe. :laughing:
9. What do you do if your dog does not seem interested in eating, but no change in atmosphere/routine has occured and he was eating fine the day before?
Nothing, not unusual with my breed to do that. All 4 of my past and present dogs could lose interest in food from one day to the next for no apparant reason.
10. What do you do if your puppy ever bites/growls/shows any disrespect against a human, or the 'Pack Leader'?
Correct it right away, either with words or action (a time out, a leash correction, removing a toy. Depends on the situation.

sugarcatmom
March 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
A lot of your questions are dealt with on Dr. Ian Dunbar's website, Dog Star Daily (http://www.dogstardaily.com/).

jessi76
March 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM

clean it up, and deal with the fact that it's MY fault I wasn't watching the dog well enough to recognize that he needed to go out.

say AHT! AHT! and quickly scoop him up (risk getting peed on) and RUN outside w/ him to let him do it (or at least finish) outside, then reward.

see above.

make sure the pup is safe (in a crate or xpen) and take my shower or run my errand. Sure, the dog may whine, but dogs don't whine forever. most whining stops after 10 min, even faster if a new fun tasty toy is provided for entertainment. my life doesn't stop for puppy whining.

say LEAVE IT, and redirect the pup to an appropriate chew toy. praise the pup for using the toy.

if on the couch, he loses couch privledges, so he gets demoted to the floor. if it's the carpet, well, redirect the dog. this is an "i'm bored" activity, so play, walk, or train the dog to relieve some energy.

yell OUCH! in a high pitched tone. get up and leave. playtime ends if nipping/biting occurs.

don't allow it in the first place. and prevent it. If jumping off the couch is bad for the animal, then the animal shouldn't be ON the couch, unless being held, or on a leash. if that isn't possible, provide doggy steps and train to use them.

I chalk that one up to a picky pup who is holding out for something better. I don't give in. I provide adequate high quality food, if not eaten in 20 min, I take it away. try again at next meal. the dog WILL eat when hungry. if 24hrs pass w/ no eating, a phone call to the vet would be in order incase it's a health problem.

realize that is NORMAL. puppies constantly test their boundaries. When my dog got snarky, I ignored him, placed him in an area for a time out, while teaching him appropriate manners in a positive way. Always try to end on a good note.

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=jessi76;561503]

make sure the pup is safe (in a crate or xpen) and take my shower or run my errand. Sure, the dog may whine, but dogs don't whine forever. most whining stops after 10 min, even faster if a new fun tasty toy is provided for entertainment. my life doesn't stop for puppy whining.

I have tried crating him while I am doing the dishes, in the room, etc. He doesn't just whine, he will howl and scratch and beg. He won't stop even if I leave the room for ten minutes... How can I teach him not to freak when I leave?
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v215/234/90/512537602/n512537602_719409_6452.jpg
Poor thing. :sad:

Winston
March 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
You could try a kong filled with small treats to keep him occupied while your doing whatever you need to do.!

Cindy

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Yep....you gotta get him a puppy kong. :D

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
:laughing: I think you're going to be dreaming of Kongs tonight, Chibi. :D

Chibi
March 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I think so too. :laughing:

jessi76
March 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have tried crating him while I am doing the dishes, in the room, etc. He doesn't just whine, he will howl and scratch and beg. He won't stop even if I leave the room for ten minutes... How can I teach him not to freak when I leave?

by leaving him more often, if that makes sense. start with short time periods, frequently. start with 1-2 minutes (with you out of sight), work up to 5 min, then 10 min, then 20 min. always REWARD the dog when the whining & freaking out STOPS - even if you just hand him a tidbit through the wire in the crate. do not let him out if he's whining/freaking. be ready - but only open the door when he's QUIET. this window of opportunity may be VERY short, like 5 seconds, so be ready. have the crate unlocked and just hold the door closed. when he's quiet, let out. he'll learn to be calm & quiet in the crate with time and repetition.

Believe me, my dog was anything but quiet and calm the first couple of weeks we crated him. but now, he LOVES his crate, runs in, quietly and calmly lays in it... it's a peaceful place for him now.

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Crate training seems like something we need to start over completely, sigh.

I DID dream of KONGs last night! :laughing: