Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thyroid Yuck In Parallel

want4rain
March 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hi, my name is Ashley. i have a thyroid problem. guess, what?!!! so does Mister!! ive been sleepy and moody and a little snappy lately. well so has Mister. he was really clingy all last week. yesterday he kinda grumbled and groaned at Jeffrey. few hours later he was sleeping and Jeffrey walked past him and snapped at his slippers. needless to say unhappy thryoid funky mom about ate his head off his body. where as Jeffrey can usually curl up with him where he is sleeping, lately he has been hurrying to get away from him. if i didnt know any better, i would suspect he is depressed.

none of our attention or habits have changed other than feeding him the Evo kibble on occasion. no flaky coat, funky eating habits, poops are fine, body feels fine, he is a little less active but he was never an active dog to begin with.

is this puberty?? he is abotu 18 months old now. he isnt really rebelling, just antisocial.

i had some blood work done today. last test said i was hypo, before that, hyper... so im going up and down. is there a possibility Mister is the same way?? we would like to give it a little more time before rushing him off to the vet for a thyroid panel. especially if there is a possibility of this being teenager funk.

any thoughts?? other than getting him to poop rainbows (not Rainbow!!!)?

-ashley

coppperbelle
March 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Chloe is hypothyroid and her only real symptom is aggression. She does lose weight in the summer time but I'm not sure if it has to do with all her activity or her thyroid. She has tons of energy but at night she wants peace and is more crabby than she is during the day.

At 18 months old I don't think it is puberty. The puberty stage for goldens is between 6 and 12 months although I don't know if it is the same for all breeds. Everything I have read about hypothyroidism says that it often goes undetected for a long time. Only when the symptoms become really obvious do dogs get tested. I think Chloe had symptoms for years before someone suggested to me she may have a thyroid problem.

If you suspect hypothyroid, get a blood test done. It isn't expensive and is relatively simple.

want4rain
March 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
i had a full blood panel done a few months ago and his T4 levels were lower than therapeutic. 1.4?? where as 1 was too low?? id have to hunt around and get the papers out again.

having thyroid issues myself and having been frequently tested (i *refuse* the radioactive iodine test) i understand how your moods and energy levels can swing high and low.

so aggression (in your experience) was her only symptom??? Mister is the least aggressive dog ever and when he snapped at Jeffrey, i was just *shocked*!!!

-ashley

coppperbelle
March 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE.

so aggression (in your experience) was her only symptom??? Mister is the least aggressive dog ever and when he snapped at Jeffrey, i was just *shocked*!!!

-ashley[/QUOTE]

Chloe had been showing signs of aggression for a few years. She is extremely anxious having had a very difficult beginning in life and I kept making excuses for her. She bit my nephews girlfriend (for no reason), bit me when I touched her tail (she hates having her tail touched) and also nipped a neighbors son for no reason. She would jump up on people and bark in their face. She snarled at me and my daughter daily and we are probably the two people in this world that she loves the most. I was at my wits end when I received an article from someone about hypothyroid problems and aggression.
She had no other symptoms like lethargy or weight gain but I had her tested anyways. Since she began taking medication she is better. I also started obedience classes with her which helped. Looking back her problems probably started when she was about 3 years old. One thing I have read about hypothyroid dogs is that they often go undiagnosed for years and I think this was true in Chloe's case.
I