Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spay operation next week, and I need reassurance!

SolaMio
March 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hi all!
My buddy Sola (I have pics in another thread, check them out!) is having her spay operation next Monday (St. Patrick's Day).

I am of course responsible and want/need to have her spayed, it was always the plan to have all my pets "fixed", as are my two kitty rescues (also pics of Millie and Layla in the same thread).

Anyway, it's Sola's first operation of any kind, and I'm really nervous. Maybe someone can help me ease my nerves. So, I have a few questions...
-Are there any specific questions I should ask my vet beforehand?
-Are there many risks? (I mean, I know it's an invasive surgery but, it's safe, right?)
-How long will she be "out of it"? What sort of behaviour can I expect? Will she have much appetite?
-Will her behaviour change in the long run? Sola is half alaskan mal, and half black lab... I've heard that mals' personalities change a bit once spayed.

Any reassurance or info, or just happy thoughts are welcome!!! :o

clm
March 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry, I've never had a female dog so I have no answers to your questions. Your vet will be able to answer them though and I'm sure she'll come through it just fine. Most important to find out before the operation is when you have to stop feeding her prior to the operation, and of course, when you'll be able to pick her up from the vet. Usually they stay in overnight after the operation. Then ask how long you have to keep her quiet and if or when, depending on the type of stitches, do you need to take her back to get the stitches removed. I'd ask what you need to do to look after the incision as well after you get her home.

Cindy

Frenchy
March 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
-Are there any specific questions I should ask my vet beforehand?
-Are there many risks? (I mean, I know it's an invasive surgery but, it's safe, right?)
-How long will she be "out of it"? What sort of behaviour can I expect? Will she have much appetite?
-Will her behaviour change in the long run? Sola is half alaskan mal, and half black lab... I've heard that mals' personalities change a bit once spayed.

If you want to be extra careful , you can ask for a blood test before the spay. To make sure she's healthy enough to be put under. I know the females I had get spayed (my Daisy and many foster females) were waking up right after surgery but my vet keeps them until the next day. Once they get back home , I never saw any changes. They can be a bit tired for the first 24 hours. As for behaviour changes , they seem to feel better , no more heat and hormonal changes. The only thing to be concerned about , IMO , is to keep them calm and to keep them from licking the wound too much. I always use the cone collar.

Good luck and try to not worry too much !

SolaMio
March 11th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks, I will ask my vet about blood tests. I've heard something about bad reactions to anesthetic. I'm also going to ask my vet for a cone, if they have them at the clinic. Poor Sola. She's such an excitable dog, this won't be fun for her at all. I'm going to be a mess all day at work (the clinic I go to takes the animal in early in the morning, and then you pick them up in the evening). We have a really great vet, it's an entire family of vets actually, but ours is really good and Sola doesn't even mind going there for shots. She might change her mind after this.
So, maybe I should be positive, if there is a chance her behaviour could change for the better? I think someone told me mals become less likely to want to run away on their own... But I suppose each dog is different.
Thanks for the responses!

SolaMio
March 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Thanks, I will ask my vet about blood tests. I've heard something about bad reactions to anesthetic. I'm also going to ask my vet for a cone, if they have them at the clinic. Poor Sola. She's such an excitable dog, this won't be fun for her at all. I'm going to be a mess all day at work (the clinic I go to takes the animal in early in the morning, and then you pick them up in the evening). We have a really great vet, it's an entire family of vets actually, but ours is really good and Sola doesn't even mind going there for shots. She might change her mind after this.
So, maybe I should be positive, if there is a chance her behaviour could change for the better? I think someone told me mals become less likely to want to run away on their own... But I suppose each dog is different.
Thanks for the responses!

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM
You can also have Sola hooked up to IV fluids during surgery. They are not very expensive (I think I paid around $10) and are supposed to help with nausea afterwards.

We have always taken our dogs in first thing in the morning and picked them up around 5:00pm the same day as well. We have never had any problems. Good luck with Sola. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Winston
March 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Couldnt have put it any better than Rainbow, Frenchy and all the others!! BUT I think they should provide anti anxiety drugs to all pet owners cause I think we worry more than anyone! :laughing:

Cindy

P.S They told me my boy would calm down and be less dominent so I did him at the earliest possible...Well werent they wrong!! he mellowed a almost 4yrs!! (typical lab!)

Frenchy
March 11th, 2008, 07:24 PM
You can also have Sola hooked up to IV fluids during surgery.

Yes I always forget , because my vet does it without asking , it's included with the spay. You can also ask for pain killers and antibiotics for the after spay.

And as Winston mentioned .... some rescue remedy for you :laughing:

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
You can also ask for pain killers and antibiotics for the after spay.

I think antibiotics should only be given if there is actually an infection.

SolaMio
March 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone! :thumbs up
I agree, anyone want to send ME some anti-anxiety meds?? It's probably silly that I'm nervous, right? :o
I didn't know that about the IV too, I will ask my vet about it!

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
No, it's not silly ....you're just a concerned mom. :angel:

SolaMio
March 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM
... And I am losing it. I have to call at lunch to see how it went. Sola was so confused and hungry. I know I am being crazy. Wish her (us?) luck...

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2008, 09:16 AM
:grouphug: The waiting is the worst! Luckily for Sola, she'll probably not have much memory for today at all--the anesthetic does that to people and seems to do it for animals, too. So when she next remembers, she'll be safe at home recouperating and getting lots of lovin' from mom...and that's what she'll remember :thumbs up

:fingerscr and :goodvibes: for a quick recovery!

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Any news yet, SolaMio? :grouphug:

Frenchy
March 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Did you take the little blue pill like I told you to ? :laughing:

Don't worry , everything WILL be fine , and it's now 12:48 ..... so .... is she awake yet ? :dog:

SolaMio
March 18th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Sola is doing really well! We took her home yesterday evening and she was really dopey and tired of course... She ate a little bit and then didn't want anything else including treats :eek:
She was allowed up on the couch and we sat on either side of her while she snored away.
This morning she seems sooo much better, ate all her food and went to the bathroom etc.. I didn't want to leave and come to work. Thankfully DH is off today due to weather so he will be checking up on her :thumbs up
Thanks for all the :goodvibes: I think she'll be a-ok!

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Glad to hear Sola is doing well and mom can now relax a bit. Does she have to wear a cone or is she leaving the stitches alone?

Frenchy
March 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
A little advice for the stitches / cone , it always takes a couple of days before it starts to itch , so even if she's leaving the stitches alone now , it may not be the same in a few days. Good luck and soon enough , the stitches will come off and everything will get back to normal ! :thumbs up