Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bring Brew Home

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kelly27
March 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hello, I'm currently in a struggle to have our beloved Brewser returned to us. This is a case of good intention gone bad and missing information sending us astray in our efforts to have our 6yr old Border Collie returned to us. His registered name is Serendipity's Brew and he's a registered Border Collie with the AKC that I introduced to my family in New Brunswick 6yrs ago April 4, 2002. I currently hold his ansestry bloodline documents, registration papers and immunization record. He's a big part of our family and we rarely go or do anything without him. He is so well behaved and well manoured that he's always complimented. When we walk him it's common for vehicles to stop and comment on his looks. He's very large for a border collie and i've yet to find one like him in this community. We only moved to Carberry, Manitoba 1 year ago and we like the slower lifestyle of this small community. We feel safe here with our children (we have 4). The local children have come to know my dog and adore him, especially the way he plays hide and seek. He loves children, cats and is especially calm and gentle with the elderly. I've actually considered visiting one of the 5 or more elderly living establishments that make Carberry home. Being such a small community you'd think that the passage of information would be smooth but as i've experienced it's only as smooth as you make it. This all began approximately 1 month ago when we still had the surge of cold weather that Manitoba is known for. My 11yr old son let Brew out for his nightly business. Brew has in the past wondered out of our yard when given the chance so we've made it necessary to watch from an open door and return the pooch as soon as he's done. Unfortunately my young son was lured by his open computer game and returned to it's side rather that do what was required at the door. Brew saw the chance and decided to go visiting. 1 hour passed and I asked where Brew was which triggered my son's memory and he checked the door. No Brew. I stayed up and waited for the pooch for a long while because he always returned home. No Brew. I went out and looked for him. No Brew. I figured because of the cold a family had taken him in. It had happened in the past that a family would decide to take him in even going so far as to remove his collar and try and adopt him on sight. It took a week but we retrived him thanking the family for their concern for him. They only lived two blocks away. We happened across him when they attempted to walk him. Not their fault I hadn't updated his ID tags to reflect his new phone number. I promptly did this on his return. With this new disappearance I decided more change was in order on his return to ensure he no longer had the opportunity to take advantage of an 11yr old's mistake. This night his collar had already been removed for a quiet night of sleep. We decided he must be in some good somaritan's care again. One week passed and my son's tears sent me searching every chance i could. I'd asked many residents in Carberry if they had an animal shelter in the town and was told no. Not a big surprise, not a big town. Two weeks passed and still no Brew. The weather picked up, and brought hope that we'd find him being walked again. Every day of nice weather sent us searching to no avail. Unfortunately my search was limited by demands from work. I work for an office that oversees the financial and administrative services for all military members being deployed to Afganistan and with the tours changing hands this was a very busy time for me. I think i'd almost settled with the idea that perhaps a local farmer snagged him. In any case i'd find him and relay my story of pity and woe. The following week i was informed that i was being scheduled for Spinal surgery. In the week that followed I spoke to a grocery store cashier in hopes that someone had mentioned a found dog. It was at this point that I was informed that found dogs were relocated 70kms away in Brandon at their animal shelter. Panic set in, I know from past experience that they only hold an animal for a very short time before being offered up for adoption. I used to volunteer at a local humane society. Being too late for business hours i called the following morning from work and enquired about a Border Collie picked up in the Carberry area. I was told there was one and he'd been adopted out to a Brandon family. I couldn't tell my son. He already blamed himself and I was having major surgery the following day. I couldn't do that to him. My short stay in the hospital saw sleepless nights filled with tears over my pup. I finally discussed my situation with the night nurses in hope that I could get some much needed sleep and purhaps a solution. It was mentioned that I should call city hall. My delemma is this. I don't want to challenge the legalities of pet adoption. I am an avid supporter in their cause and currently own a 19yr old cat that i adopted at age 8weeks. She's a joy even in her senior years. The shelter provides a much needed service, but I love my Brew and I don't know what to do. I guess i hope that in hearing my plee the family that currently has Brew will side with reason and understand that a mistake has been made. I didn't know to call Brandon or I would have immediately. In retrospect there were probably other places i could have seeked to help. This is not a widely known fact in this community or at least one the residents I spoke to would have offered up this information I would assume. If i could turn back time i would but in the meanwhile my son cries and so do I. In his blaming himself, I blame myself. Last night he pulled out all Brew's documents to feel closer to him I suppose. The shelter will not divulge the new owner's name but has promised to send to them our phone number. That was 3 days ago. No call. We are more than willing to offer up financial restitution for any costs incurred. We love him dearly and although he carries a wonderful diposition and a happy character his heart belongs with us. He has crossed this country with us and I couldn't possibly leave without him. We are a military family and with our service we give up all emotional connections and friendships we create at every post when we move on. The only sense of continuity we possess are the people and possessions that travel with us from post to post. Please bring Brew home, we miss him very much. Any ideas out there on past issues like this?

Kelly

Love4himies
March 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Holy lots-a-words.

I hope you find Brew. Have you put up posters, knocked on neighbours doors?

shirley1011
March 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Kelly, my heart goes out to you. If I were in your position I would take out an ad with a picture of Brew and your son and put it in the Brandon paper with a brief plea for the error in looking at that shelter and perhaps
when they hear your plight they may return Brew.
Have you sent a picture to the shelter to confirm that it was Brew that was adopted from there?
Best of Luck to you...it has to be the worst feeling ever to not know where your beloved pets are.
Shirley

Love4himies
March 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
:oIWhoops should have read more closely:o. adopted a cat from a shelter a year ago, he is precious and I could not believe that somebody was not looking for him. Had the shelter called me letting me know that his family was looking for him, I would have contracted them in an instant (with proof I would have returned him). The loss of a beloved pet is similar to loosing a child. You never know, they may be out of town on vacation. Hopefully somebody will contact you soon. I would call the shelter again to ensure they passed on the message to the family who adopted him and to make sure they have your phone number correct.

I second shirley's idea of putting an ad in the Brandon paper.

ddianam
March 11th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Kelly27, I really really hope that you find your dog. I am in a similar situation as far as having lost my dog. You would think that people the community would help with a lost pet, but unfortunately some people aren't kind and don't care and know what it feels like to love a pet. My dog went missing a week ago and he has been spotted twice. The 2 different people who saw my dog on 2 seperate instances, did not do anything about it except call me to tell me that they spotted him. I asked them to keep track of him or hang on to him or something until I got there (which would be 5 mins later since I lived close by), but they both said no. When I called one person back to ask them if they would hold him they lied and said that they didnt even call and that I had the wrong #. Anyways, some people are just rude and mean and will never understand the feeling of losing a pet.
Hopefully you get Brew back and I find my dog as well.
Diana

shirley1011
March 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I was just looking on www.canadastrays.com but noticed that there are not many dogs posted there as missing. Perhaps posting a picture there will make it easy for whoever has Brew to check the picture and see your story.

danaekitty
March 11th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Oh my, Kelly...I hope things work out for you. I agree about taking an ad out in the paper - and hopfully the shelter told the family that you were willing to offer a reward. I would think that any person who would not give you your dog back after hearing this story could probably be bribed into doing so.
Fingers crossed for you...please keep us posted!

Jim Hall
March 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I am sorry for what you are going through but really. an 11 yr old is bound to get distracted no IDs or inaccurate ones and a border collie not on a leash.

I hope you get Brew back and have learned something from this.

Kelly27
March 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you for your support, it heartens me to see that not everyone is so quick to lay blame. I first and foremost want to admit that it certainly was our families error that caused this. You wanna believe that we've learned something. I've gone 6 years without having issues with Brew's whereabouts and i've never had a single complaint about any of my pets. I believe we are good pet owners and good neighbours. Sleep or no sleep the collar stays on! Not to mention better use of the kennel, i've always bent when Brew disagreed with going in there....guess i was too soft hearted...In response to all the questions, i have sent an email to the Brandon Sun with my dilemma, i've also contacted local radio stations on phone and email. I will put in an Ad shortly. Good idea. I'm currently creating a poster for distribution in Brandon. When i did initially contact the shelter they were very quick to go on the defensive and throw the blame back at me and mentioned that if i pursued this then no one would want to adopt from the shelter anymore. The second time my husband called and they said they'd pass my phone # to the new owners. But they will not tell me who they are. I'm not even sure if they'll actually do as they've said they will. The fight continues.

Thank you for the support

Kelly

Love4himies
March 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM
When i did initially contact the shelter they were very quick to go on the defensive and throw the blame back at me and mentioned that if i pursued this then no one would want to adopt from the shelter anymore. The second time my husband called and they said they'd pass my phone # to the new owners. But they will not tell me who they are. I'm not even sure if they'll actually do as they've said they will. The fight continues.

Thank you for the support

Kelly

I can understand both sides, but I think out of compassion, the shelter would pass your number onto the new owners. It is not like you surrendered your dog, then decided you wanted it back. The dog got lost. Like I said in my second post, had the shelter contacted me that Jasper's owners were looking for him, I would contact them.

shirley1011
March 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Kelly
Don't give up..plaster him wherever you can..use the internet lost and found sites, do ads and don't give up. I first hand know how awful you feel and I know you will do whatever you can to try and find Brew.
My heart goes out to you and your family and my thoughts are with you.

SIL
March 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Kelly...I agree with Shirley...don't give up!!!
Maybe the new owners don't know how Brew ended up at the shelter but as long as his face and your story are out there there is always a chance.
We're pretty sure someone has our Billie, she's now been missing for over 10 months, but I keep reposting her face on as many lost/found sites that I can.
:pray:that the new owners realize how much he is loved and return him.

coppperbelle
March 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I really feel bad for you and hope the new owners of Brew find out you are looking for him and return him to you. Seven years ago a co-worker found a golden pup. I was looking for one to adopt at the time. After keeping her for a week my co-worker decided to give her to me. The next day I began making phone calls to all the shelters in the area. I wanted to make sure that no one was looking for her. Everytime I called a shelter and asked about reported lost goldens my heart would sink. I was so afraid that I would have to return her to her owner as I was already in love with her. My point in all this is that after a month I am sure that Brew's new family is in love with him. I understand you have history with him but love begins immediately. Even if they find out you are looking for him this doesn't mean they will give him up. I think you should be honest with your son and explain the situation to him. It won't be easy for him but knowing that Brew is safe and warm in a new home is better than him thinking that he was hit by a car or freezing outside.

Good luck to you

shirley1011
March 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Cooperbelle, you are so right....and I think most of us would be upset if we knew that someone had our lost dogs, but to know that they are safe and warm and loved would make it so much easier to bear.
It is the not knowing that is so hard so I think you must continue to try and find out what happened to Brew and know that you did everything you
could..... and never give up

coppperbelle
March 11th, 2008, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=shirley1011;561827]Cooperbelle, you are so right....and I think most of us would be upset if we knew that someone had our lost dogs, but to know that they are safe and warm and loved would make it so much easier to bear.
It is the not knowing that is so hard so I think you must continue to try and find out what happened to Brew and know that you did everything you
could..... and never give up[/QUOTE

I agree that you shouldn't give up and meant to write that. I know I wouldn't. One thing that came to mind because I work with rescue. Could he have gone to a Border Collie rescue group? I know in this area when an older purebred is found we are often contacted to take the dog. It isn't easy to find new homes for older dogs and shelters don't always try. They prefer to put the young ones up for adoption.
I think it may be a good idea to take a drive to the shelter and speak to the director.

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Funny you should say that. I'm up at 2:30am because i can't stop thinking about this. I was actually just considering heading out to the shelter and speaking to him one on one. Maybe if he hears the whole story he'll have more empathy for my situation. And I definately agree that any family that has Brew will love him but i'm fueled by my son's tears and that gives me momentum...In the end the best interest of the dog is supposed to be priority according to the shelter and that would be us....we're his family and we've had him from 8wks old...although i would feel bad about anyone's pain i believe Brew belongs home...It's a lose lose situation...but like most people on this site i couldn't keep a well loved pooch knowingly...btw i got my posters done today and am going to send them to all four corners of the city....I also sent a lost dog email to the shelter's site for them to post complete with picture....i wonder if they'll clue in?

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 03:57 AM
oh and btw my avatar pic is Brew and if anyone would like to help my cause you could send a friendly email to the Brandon Shelter asking them to help bring Brew home. They do know who has him but they will not release any info or relay to the new owners what's going on. They also double as Brandon Kennels and funny thing is i used their kennel services last year for a couple of weeks for Brew and Kitty my 19 year old cat....while we were moving in here from NB. I didn't know at that time that they were also the pound. Go figure.

chico2
March 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Kelly,like the others say,I would be very happy and relieved knowing my dog was safe,but Brew belongs in his home,the home he grew up in and loved.
The people who adopted him,did a wonderful thing and I am sure they love and care for him,it also shows they have compassion.
Hopefully their compassion will help them give Brew back to the rightful owner,you and your family.:fingerscr
I am hoping Brews story will be told in the local newspaper,that the adopters will relent and let you come and talk to them.
Seeing Brew was not an abandonned pup,in my view the shelter should be forthcoming and help resolve this very difficult situation
3 days is a very short time for them to give up on an owner,maybe Brews situation will change their policy.
Good Luck:dog:

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Don't give up! I am sure the family loves Brew, but Brew is still mourning the loss of his home and his pack.

If the new family doesn't know you are looking for him, then they can't contract you. If they are pet lovers they will understand and would want what was best for Brew and that is to be returned to his home.

Jim Hall
March 12th, 2008, 09:36 AM
btw i got my posters done today and am going to send them to all four corners of the city....I also sent a lost dog email to the shelter's site for them to post complete with picture....i wonder if they'll clue in?

Ok he dog has been found correct so if you post a missing dog notice your making the people who read those and care look for a dog that isnt really missing

danaekitty
March 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Jim - as far as the people reading the posters are concerned, this is the owner of the dog who has no idea of the dog's whereabouts. They don't need to know that this is a ploy to get the new owner's attention. If Kelly didn't know what she knows from the shelter, she would still put up the posters, so ultimately it doesn't matter that the dog has a current home.

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
He's missing from me and the only people that can help resolve this situation won't help regardless of the details they seem more concerned with the reputation of the shelter...If you ask me if my story is told openly it could harm the shelter more than if they assist me from the beginning...that will be the context of my conversation with them today....i hope they see the light....my posters are an effort to let the new owners know that Brew's family is still searching for him as we have from the beginning just apparently not in the right places....remember i don't live in Brandon I live 70kms away...oh and I called my town hall yesterday to discover that our town does not have an animal control agent right now, he resigned in Jan a month before Brew disappeared....so i still do not know how Brew made his way there...The shelter said animal control brought him in but we do not have one and town hall does not have any record of any dogs being transported to Brandon...Apparently this dilemma will be discussed at the next town meeting...adding proper communication and publication of all animals sent out of town so owners have a way of locating them....and get this....i applied for the animal control job....I'm a military member full time but this is only full time and i'm more than willing to take it on...

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I had to laugh @ Chico up above....I looked at all his deletions and the first thing that crept into my foggy head was.....he stutters?....LOL

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I think the shelter should notify the new family and leave it up to the new family to contact kelly if they choose to. I think that makes for a compassionate shelter.

Jim Hall
March 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM
...adding proper communication and publication of all animals sent out of town so owners have a way of locating them....and get this....i applied for the animal control job....I'm a military member full time but this is only full time and i'm more than

coreect me if i am wrong that he did not have any id cause you took it off so he could sleep?

so if you gert the animal control job and you get a dog you dont know whose it is and a week goes by and nobody contacts you and you get hiom adopted will you tell the new keepers sorry to braek your heart but .....

Im sorry i am not usually this harsh but it seems you are blaming ervyone one else for this AND IT WAS YOUR FAULT

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Hall;562206
coreect me if i am wrong that he did not have any id cause you took it off so he could sleep?

so if you gert the animal control job and you get a dog you dont know whose it is and a week goes by and nobody contacts you and you get hiom adopted will you tell the new keepers sorry to braek your heart but .....

Im sorry i am not usually this harsh but it seems you are blaming ervyone one else for this AND IT WAS YOUR FAULT[/QUOTE]

Oh Jim, you are being a big meanie! But when your heart is broken and hurting so bad ...
Like I said in a previous post, had the owners of Jasper contacted me when I first adopted him, and if they had proof he was theirs, and if Jasper was happy to see them, I would have given him back because I just couldn't keep something that I knew somebody was hurting over and missing.

Jim Hall
March 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I dont mean to be a meanie and i understand the heartbrake invovled Im just a little miffed that it seems that Kelly will do anything to get Brew back

all right I said my :2cents: I hope you do get Brew back but i also hope that his new owners dont get too heartbroken also

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think you're being a meanie Jim, I think you're thinking along the lines that others may think also and you're right i do admit that my son made a mistake....he took the collar off so he could sleep not the dog....Brew tends to move around a lot through the night....taking it off through the night isen't an issue if my son was responsible enough to put it back on in the morning which was the case and we never had a previous problem...the problem this time is Brew wanted out one last time before bed after my son had already removed it then became absent minded about letting him back in immediately after he'd finished....he's 11, it happens. He's so broken hearted about this now that i doubt it'll happen again...i have no doubt whoever has him hasen't fallen head over heels for him but understand he's the product of a lot of love and attention, his natural good nature and our patience and love created a wonderful pet for us and anyone that he connects with...he's the product of us and no I'm not willing to surrender him over a mistake and a serioulsy faulty system for animal control...If i do get the job there'll be better communication and a well known area for people searching for there pets to go as an itial contact...something this area has none of....I had absolutely no knowledge of what happened to my pet or any direction as to where to search for him outside of my town....There are other towns closer than Brandon that would have made more sense to search....there was just absolutely no reason for me to search in Brandon, remember i'm new here and all i had to rely on were other residents knowledge and they didn't know either that adds to the case that more information is needed here...I'm not a bad pet owner and Brew loves us why punish him?...the bottom line is if i do not get better co-operation from the system then i'll be communicating through a lawyer soon and hopefully forcing the system to better it's ways...i'm just trying to fix this without causing a tidal wave first...and that's because i care about the family that has him now....it's not their fault either...but that doesn't change the fact that Brew is my family member not theirs...I still believe that if they knew about all this they'd feel as horrible as i do...and i don't want this ever to repeat itself to anyone in my town again...I think that's admirable....

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
and Jim I believe anytime an animal goes missing in some way shape or form it will be the human's fault. Animals don't make mistakes they only act on instinct. It will always be a human that steals the pet, ignores the pet, puts the pet in a vehicle etc etc....it's just people that love their pets never cause intentional harm and learn from there mistakes...i'm not being afforded that opportunity

chico2
March 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Kelly,no I don't stutter:laughing:my PC was slow this morning and I kept klicking reply and they all came up eventually:laughing:also I am a she,but my Chico is a he:laughing:

Kelly27
March 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I had a dog named Chico once when i was a girl....he was a boy too....I will try and remember that you a ma'am!

Love4himies
March 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I think time is of the esssence, kelly, the longer Brew stays with his new family, the more they will become attached to him. I don't believe that we can instantly truly love, unlike caring and liking, it takes time to bond.

Did you say the shelter kept him for only 3 days and put him up for adoption, even though he came from out of town??

I wonder what other shelters' policy is on previous owners looking for their dogs.

Love4himies
March 13th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I dont mean to be a meanie and i understand the heartbrake invovled Im just a little miffed that it seems that Kelly will do anything to get Brew back

all right I said my :2cents: I hope you do get Brew back but i also hope that his new owners dont get too heartbroken also

Also, big meanie Jim:p, what if Brew is missing his family horribly? This should be about what is best for Brew.

I know you are not really a meanie

Kelly27
March 13th, 2008, 02:52 PM
The policy here is they have to keep the pet for 5 days before they can adopt him out...

t.pettet
March 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
You are receiving conflicting answers from the shelter (ac brought the dog in, there was no ac employed at that time) so what to believe! You need to have an insider contact at this shelter who could look at the records if any were kept or someone who could volunteer to work at the shelter for you and they could access the records. If I were in your shoes I think I might hire a PI, they have ways/methods of uncovering the truth.

chico2
March 14th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Kelly,you must be beyond frustrated and sad about Brew,somebody must be able to help you:pray:
What if the shelter is lying,I hate to think so,but have you seen any kind of proof he was adopted??
What about the police,could they do something to help out??
I think I would go bonkers if I knew my dog was alive,but I cannot get to him:yell:
:pray:for some good news soon:fingerscr

Kelly27
March 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well here's the scoop. I just got back from discussing this matter with the SPCA in Brandon face to face. I also spoke to the old AC agent that left the position in Jan yesterday. The AC agent (he was very nice btw) says that someone picked Brew up and called him. Eventhough he was no longer the AC agent he made one last trip with Brew to the shelter. How it works here is everytime a trip is made a ticket is done up and handed in at town hall so he can get payed for his time and mileage. As of yesterday he still had not handed in the ticket so when i called town hall they had no record of a dog being sent to the shelter. There was absolutely no way for me to know where Brew was. After our talk he called the shelter on my behalf. My husband dropped by the shelter yesterday and they tried to tell him that Brew was in bad condition when he was brought in so the AC agent called and made sure that was cleared up because that wasen't the case at all. When i went to the shelter today I was met by someone that told me that i didn't have a leg to stand on and that the new owners have no intention on returning Brew to us. My concern is that at this moment the only person talking to them on our behalf is this gentleman and i get the clear feeling that he really doesn't want us to have him because it would make the shelter look bad. I told him that he was acting on the best interest of the shelter and not the animal by these statements and he laughed at that. He really doesn't see my Brew as having a say or having feelings. As angry as I was I kept my cool and assured him that the error was not at the shelter that the error was in my town and that's where my legs were. So he said well maybe i'll get some $$ out of the town then. I DON'T WANT MONEY! I want my Brew. Anyways he's going to talk to the new owners this weekend and let them know more to the story but i have absolutely no faith in this guy. I was rather insulted at this point. I really don't want to go to court because it's such a long drawn out process and the longer he's with them the more they'll get attached and the more i'm going to feel like the bad guy in the end. Where do i draw the line is my dilemma. On the way home i had to pick up some cat food and looked at the dog food area and started balling. A grown woman balling in the middle of the pet food isle. Fantabulous.

chico2
March 15th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Awww Kelly:grouphug:I can so understand how you feel,this is absolutely not right.
This man is making a mockery out of your love for Brew.there must be someone higher up on the ladder to talk to:confused:
:pray:that someone will understand what this is doing to your family..
I am going to try to write this shelter,yes,I'll be civil..do you have an address or website for this sheter?

Winston
March 15th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Kelly the SPCA must answer to someone. I know sometimes they are run by the cities or municipalities. This guy is obviously not looking out for Brew! is there a city rep you can go to?

Love4himies
March 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM
If the new owners will not consider the feelings that Brew may be missing his pack, then I would be worried about their knowledge of dogs.

Don't know if legally you have a leg to stand on, because shelters have to be able to adopt out found animals without fear of lawsuit as I am sure you can understand. I think you need to appeal to the new owners.

SPCA's report to their provincial office, Humane Societies have a board that they report to. I don't think they are connected to any level of gov't.

shirley1011
March 15th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I am just appalled at this situation. Have you been able to get a newspaper to do a human interest story on this?
I just can't imagine how angry and upset you must be knowing these people can make it right for Brew.
It sounds like the AC that didn't turn his ticket in is the one at fault and the town there should be doing something to help you.
There must be something we can do to help. Can we write to the shelter with our feelings of outrage, write to the local paper there...
Something has to be done quickly before the new people fall in love with Brew...maybe you could offer to get them a new purebred puppy.
Just let me know if there is anything, anything at all we can do as a collective group to try and make this situation right.
You did all the things that you were supposed to do to try and find Brew and the AC guy is the one who screwed up...someone needs to be accountable.

chico2
March 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I agree wholeheartedly,maybe we can shake up their concience:thumbs up

Kelly27
March 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I never thought of that...they must report to City Hall...I'll contact them after i hear from the shelter dude....i'm not expecting anything out of that though...The town here is bring the issue up at the next meeting so i guess we'll see....I suppose if the town represented me to city hall it would be better...I believe the shelter believes their hands are tied and the shelter cannot get involved but it's like I said to him, he's the only one that knows who has Brew and if he's not willing to release that info the ball's in his court but he's definately not the person to be representing me because for him his shelter is first and foremost, he made that quite clear...I don't agree with that either, people like that should not be in those positions, he's said that this type of issue has happened at this shelter repeatedly and that no one's ever gotten their pet back....This has got to be some kind of scurge on the City! I pleaded and cried with him but I may as well have been talking to a parrot with a limited vocabulary he just kept blurting out the same sentences with no room for adjustment...oh don't worry i'm not giving up the ship yet....yes i've contacted all means of communication here but still haven't heard or seen anything on the radio or newspapers....next week if the new owners still won't talk the posters and an ad in the paper will break out...Plus i'm taking this town to the next level...if they don't deal with me as a member of the community they'll deal with me as the new AC agent....the shelter's website is below and you'll notice it is a great site...missing are any notes on area of responsibility, according to this site they service Brandon....what it doesn't say are all the communities within an approx 70km radius of the city....imagine all the pets being delivered here without any clue to the owners...pets not only being adopted out but being put down anytime after 5 days of seisure...and that was thrown at me yesterday as well....like i was lucky....i suppose i was....

http://www.brandonhumanesociety.ca/

remember it was our family's responsibility to keep Brew home...the problem I have is the tools to help the owner find their pet were missing and out of my control...that is the basis of my arguement...

shirley1011
March 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Kelly I don't know what value it will be but I sent my 2:2cents: worth in to the SPCA.
I just hope this doesn't take a long time..getting Brew back where he belongs is the main goal.
I just can't imagine the adopting family not understanding that there was an error at the municipal level that prevented you from finding Brew.
Just keep pursuing it Kelly, never give up, never give up hope...
maybe we should take up a petition or something....

chico2
March 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Shirley,as did I,hopefully if he realizes this is not going away,maybe he will relent and change his mind.
I do feel for the adoptive family,but Brew belongs with Kelly and her family.

coppperbelle
March 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Have you consulted a lawyer? Sometimes a lawyers letter works wonders.

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I do have a lawyer and she's very good but i'm not quick to take that route...I really would rather resolve this otherwise...But i do think after this week that my options will be exhausted and i will have to get her on it....unfortunately....This has all been so exhausting because during all this i'm still trying to recover from spinal surgery from 2 weeks ago....If i do get the opportunity to speak to these owners i will offer a new puppy from the same breeder i got Brew from...maybe that will help

growler~GateKeeper
March 17th, 2008, 12:30 AM
he's said that this type of issue has happened at this shelter repeatedly and that no one's ever gotten their pet back

I think this is a great point to bring up at the town meeting to see if something can be done about the management of the HS

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM
"Reply to my letter:While every person has the right to their opinion and the right to express it, I would strongly recommend that a person gather all of the correct information before making a judgement.

The Brandon Humane Society: SPCA and Animal Shelter was not involved with the dog you are referring to. To the best of my knowledge, the Carberry Animal Control picked up this dog and he eventually ended up in the Brandon City Pound.

That being said, I would ask that you please gather all the facts before you make statements about any terrible examples of wrongdoing at this or any other shelter."

Thank You Hayley Gregory

o This was the reply I got from Brandon HS,obviously I wrote to the wrong place:yell:

danaekitty
March 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM
For God's sake, what is WRONG with this shelter? It's not like Brew was sitting there all sad for weeks with no hope of being found by his owners ar anything, it was only a few days, right? These jackasses are really starting to piss me off, especially that jerk who told you that the fam has no intention of giving Brew up.
I might regret this statement, but it's not like this is a child adoption agency or something, it's a DOG. Why the secrecy and scheming? Why is it SO important to this shelter that they cover up for the family? They've possibly made a mistake somewhere, but I'm sure they won't get a fine or anything for just trying to do their job, which technically they are not even doing at this point by not helping out the dog itself instead of covering their asses for no reason.
Maybe Hayley Gregory should have "gathered all the facts" before giving this dog up to a hasty adoption. Shouldn't they at least have posted a pic of him on their website or something? For at least a day or two to make the effort to alert the original owner of the dog.
Kelly - do what you have to do for the next day or so, but after you've tried, take legal action against this shelter, FORCE them to tell you where Brew is.

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
People like that guy at the shelter should not work with animals. Doesn't he realize that we are all human and we make mistakes. He has no compassion. You need compassion to work with animals!!!!! Or even humans! We all deserve a second chance! I know this may be a little crazy, but if i were in your shoes and lost my beloved girl. i would be knocking on every door in that town telling them my story. Hoping that someone would know the people who had the dog or maybe you'll find the new owners. I would also be snooping in backyards seeing if my dog was there. I'm a little crazy, but theres nothing i wouldn't do for this dog. If i lived there by you, i would go door to door for you. I'd also go to the shelter and give them a piece of my mind.
Maybe you should just consult with your lawyer, see if there is anything she can do. It can't hurt.
Also, when you do get your Brew back, have the vet put one of those chips in the dog. That way if for any reason this happens again (b/c we are humans and we're not perfect) The shelter can scan the dog for the chip and this will never ever happen again.
I am so sorry this is happening to your family. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

mona_b
March 17th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Brew is registered,so he either has a tattoo or a chip,or even both.

My suggestion to you is get tough now.Contact your lawyer,and please contact your breeder and let the breeder know what has happened(if you haven't already)..Have the breeder call the SPCA and get involved.I would even get the media involved and the paper involved.Let them know what happened and that the SPCA will not call the new adopters to tell them that you have been searching for Brew.

Also,you do not have to offer them a new pup from your breeder.Brew is YOUR dog.

Good luck.Don't give up.

Jim Hall
March 17th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Brew is registered,so he either has a tattoo or a chip,or even both.

SO the shelter could have contacted the breeder

SI this coorect that brew is tattoed and chipped

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I will contact the breeder today and find out if he's got a chip because I know he doesn't have a tatoo...I did ask the shelter if they have a scanner for chips and he said he did but he didn't think much of them because he said they tend to move and more times than not he can't find them....I swear to god that's what he said I just looked at my husband and shook my head....the breeder will be contacted to my dismay, I feel I really let him down....I never got Brew chipped but now i wish i had...don't know if it would have helped here because i get the feeling this guy doesn't like to use his scanner anyways...I know absolutely nothing about breeding or whether or not a tattoo or chip is required for registration with the AKC, all i know is i wanted a border collie because up to this point i'd had a Border Collie mix named Gigi and she was a fabulous dog (I got her at the shelter) Brew was someone my son could attach himself to when it came time to let Gigi go to rest....Question: Does tatooing hurt a dog? Because when all this is resolved I will be bringing both my dogs in for either a chip or a tatoo(I also have a toy poodle (Bino) we call him Brew's chew toy)....I guess I never thought I'd ever be put in this position...I knew I was always at risk of having someone steal him but felt if found I could always proove he was mine anyways and let's face it chips only assist honest thieves...Remember Brew was taken last summer by a family that decided to remove his collar and tags and tried to claim him as their own...I only got him back because i found them walking him here in town. I never got his collar back that time but that's easy to replace. A chip wouldn't help in that instance. I should have considered if he ever got caught without his tags...I relied on them too heavily....you can bet your booties I'm a Chip advocate now...

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Even though I'm not really liking the shelter guy, but he's a little right....... I got my dog and she was chipped already (well thats what the pet store said) I had taken her many times to many different vets (due to her sickness) and no one could find her chip. They do move. But any good shelter should know that they do and scan the whole body of the dog. Finally I moved and had to take my dog to a new Vet, and I just happened to ask them about my chip And they found it. So they do still work, just in a different spot.

But i would also like to know about the tattoo. Doesn't it hurt. I have 6 tattoos, and they all hurt. I would hate to do that to my dog. She wouldn't know what was going on, i could just imagine her face as they were doing it. (I actually think its kind of evil to do, but thats just my opinion)

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Kelly,is that right that Brew was at the Brandon Pound,not the HS??/
Have you got an address where we could write the pound??
Obviously the Brandon HS is not willing to help:sad:
I know we all have to go on,no matter what,but you must be absolutely frantic,I can imagine how you feel.
We are upset and it's not even our dog...

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Oh boy you're gonna luv this answer...the shelter and the pound are located in the same building so i don't know why they responded the way they did...basically the pound animals are held at one side of the building and the shelter and kennel dogs at the other....when i was there on Fri I was facing the sign outside that said Brandon Pound....I'm starting to wonder what they have to hide....I'm going to direct the president of the board of directors to this website right now....I cannot believe that response....i assure you Shane is the gentleman at the shelter that i've been talking to and he is the one that knows where Brew is!

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Oh and I just spoke to my breeder, he doesn't blame me and hopes the best for me. I feel just horrible Jonathon i'm so sorry, I say that because i directed him here...no he doesn't have a chip it wasen't a requirement...he brought up a valid point though...he wonders if through the lack of assistance in this matter if they haven't possibly benefitted somehow and maybe sold him or adopted him to a friend....I never though of that and I will continue to believe they haven't because this is already so overwhelming i can't let my imagination take over....If you go to a search engine on the net and type in Brandon Pound the same site comes up....i believe you are at the correct site....thank you for your support....

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I left a phone message for the president of the board of directors for this shelter to go to this sight...I also called the old AC guy here in Carberry and confirmed he DID bring him to Shane at the SHELTER....so they're lying...nuff said...I think i'll contact the vice president now....

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM
It may be time to call your lawyer!! It does sound to me they may have benefited from your doggy. Evil, evil people:evil:! How can they sleep at night knowing you and your family are sooo upset. Thats why sometimes I like dogs better than people. Dogs will never betray you!!!

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Kelly the peson who answered my e-mail,was a Hayley Gregory..I am going to look up the website from the pound,if they have one:confused:
I sent a plea to a Dana Grove at the Brandon Pound,hope I have the right person this time.
It is possible if they realize you are not going to give up on Brew,they will relent,unless OMG,he has been euthanized:yell:

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Clarification at last....terminology has caused somewhat of a confusion...I just recieved a phone call from the Humane Society and they are not located at the same place it appears that Brandon Kennels acts as a Kennel and the City Pound....our AC agent called it a shelter/SPCA so it confused me...If Robb revisits this site I offer my thanks for helping clear this up and acknowledge that the humane society has absolutely nothing to do with this problem...although I sure could use their assistance if it's offered!

http://www.fundsfurfriends.com/AtThePound.htm

try this site, but i'm not sure it'll get where we want it to get....see how hard it is to get info around here!

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I guess i should have clued in when they said I was lucky he wasen't put down, because the HS doesn't do that....I feel like a heel....so Yes Brew was sent to the Dog Pound...that's just not how it was told to me....sorry....I actually feel better because I'd hate to think that the SPCA would ever put me through this....

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I send my new one to bdnpound@fundsfurfriends.com hopefully it will help.

Winston
March 17th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Kelly I checked out the link for the Brandon Pound and had a look around...Found some interesting stmts that were made..like this one

While we currently have 56 foster homes, we simply do not have enough.

Do yoou think Brew is in a home that is considered a foster and they dont want to say anything?? The other thing I noticed is that they have to be funded somewhere...and everything on the website sort of implies that the Brandon Area Community Foundation is their major financial contributor...I looked at their website and maybe they would like to know how things are run in a place they provide financial help too?

http://www.bacf.ca/cms/index.php?page=about

Something good has to happen now! Just know we are all here for you! Stay strong as Brew deserves to come home! My heart breaks if he is with another family but its misguided...he has a family and things happen...If I were that family I would be hurt most definately but it is common sense I think that he should be in his true home.

Cindy

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
was that the Brandon Pound website or the humane society's website?

duttypaws
March 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
was that the Brandon Pound website or the humane society's website?

http://www.brandonhumanesociety.ca/FAQ.html

CearaQC
March 17th, 2008, 08:08 PM
OK I know I'm coming into this conversation late... but I'm so confused about something.

The shelter says they are afraid to act because they think they will look bad?

How would it look bad to reunite a beloved dog with his human family? It should be a time of rejoicing, not out of concern about public appearances. If anything it would make the shelter look better by doing the right thing.

Also I don't want to be mean... but my eyes went blurry while trying to read the original post. Pressing the Enter key now and then would be good. :laughing:

I don't get it... you have the papers, you have photos of the dog, you have your family as witnesses that it's your dog. What's the big deal? It should be a no-brainer case. People at that shelter must be a load of stooges. Tell them it's time to smarten up and do the right thing. Work under the radar if possible and nothing will need to be made public. But if they continue to balk and refuse to assist you, then make a big stink in the papers. They are afraid to look bad, so make their fear a reality. Don't threaten it, just do it.

I really hope you are able to be reunited with your furry friend.

Above all, forgive yourselves for what happened. You cannot change the past. People make mistakes. If we didn't we would not learn a darn thing.

No time for pity parties - take action NOW.

:grouphug:

Kelly27
March 17th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I know I get on a roll and I forget the enter key exsists. The pound feels if they give Brew back to me then no one would want to adopt from them anymore, or so they've said. Funny when i was talking to my breeder today he mentioned my posts were too long too...LOL <enter>

the correct website is here http://www.fundsfurfriends.com/AtThePound.htm
but it's a little confusing because they have two pounds represented here. I live in the county of North Cypress outside the jurisdiction of either pound so I wonder why we send animals there. Anyways i know where he went initially and I want my pup back! I've sent this website to many people today including the Mayor of Brandon's office. Hopefully i'll hear something. Someone's got to pay the pound personel.

veracity
March 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Someone needs to say something here before you go around and badmouth a bunch of people that do not deserve it.

There are two rescue groups in the area - the Brandon Humane Society and Funds for Furry Friends. The folks at Funds for Furry Friends take pictures at the pound once a week and post them online for their owners. Further to this, the "pound page" is linked from the city of brandon website, and both local rescue groups. I can not believe you would bash the Brandon Humane Society or any other rescue group for that matter. The people who run the rescues in this area work very hard to save lives - and you are sitting here insulting them!

#1 - Almost every city and town in Canada has a running at large bylaw. It is against this bylaw to have your dog running loose.

#2 - Looking for direction on where to find a dog? Try the area vet clinics, try the radio stations, try the newspapers, try the police or RCMP - all of these places have this information. Did you consider putting an advertisement in the paper when your dog FIRST went missing? How about putting up posters when the dog was FIRST lost?

#3 - Almost every animal impound is only allowed to keep the dogs for 72 hours before they are euthanized. Out of area sometimes is 5-7 days when they use an impound facility outside of the area. If these new owners of your dog did not rescue him - he would be DEAD!

Consider this... Someone saved your dog's life. The people who have him now actually saved his life - and now you want them to give him back to you because you deserve him back?

I have been reading your posts and honestly - I am reading about a dog who has gotten away on you more than once, a dog who is kept in an insecure yard, and a dog whose owners have such a "busy" lifestyle, they could not look for him for weeks...

You have a lot of stuff in your posts about how unfair this is to you... If Brew had been hit by a truck or caught in a fence somewhere - who would you blame?

mrthomas
March 18th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I Adopted A Dog From Furry Friends And They Are A Very Responsible Organization. You People Really Need To Get Your Stuff Together.

The Bacf Sponsors Furry Friends Group And Not The Pound. The City Of Brandon Is The Pound. Furry Friends Is A Charity. The Humane Society Is A Charity.

I Can Not Believe This Nonsense.

For Anyone Not Clear The Lady Is Talking About An Animal Impound That Picked Up Her Dogs Not A Shelter Or Humane Society.

growler~GateKeeper
March 18th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Question: Does tatooing hurt a dog?

Tattooing is done when the animal is anesthetized so they feeling nothing, most often it is done at the same time as a spay or neuter or a dental cleaning....FYI not all tattoos are in the ear, some breeders have them done on the inner flank.

I Adopted A Dog From Furry Friends And They Are A Very Responsible Organization.

For Anyone Not Clear The Lady Is Talking About An Animal Impound That Picked Up Her Dogs Not A Shelter Or Humane Society.

So why is no one in any of those organizations giving her a straight & clear answer as to who picked up her dog, where it was held and why they are unwilling to attempt to reunite her with her dog?

mrthomas
March 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM
So why is no one in any of those organizations giving her a straight & clear answer as to who picked up her dog, where it was held and why they are unwilling to attempt to reunite her with her dog?

I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I AM SAYING SHE IS YAPPING ABOUT FURRY FRIENDS GROUP AND THE HUMANE SOCIETY. HER DOG WAS AT THE IMPOUND SO ITS BETWEEN HER AND THEM. ONLY THEY KNOW.

Shaykeija
March 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
UMMMMMMMM the problem started here.....

This all began approximately 1 month ago when we still had the surge of cold weather that Manitoba is known for. My 11yr old son let Brew out for his nightly business. Brew has in the past wondered out of our yard when given the chance so we've made it necessary to watch from an open door and return the pooch as soon as he's done. Unfortunately my young son was lured by his open computer game and returned to it's side rather that do what was required at the door. Brew saw the chance and decided to go visiting. 1 hour passed and I asked where Brew was which triggered my son's memory and he checked the door. No Brew. I stayed up and waited for the pooch for a long while because he always returned home. No Brew. I went out and looked for him. No Brew. I figured because of the cold a family had taken him in. It had happened in the past that a family would decide to take him in even going so far as to remove his collar and try and adopt him on sight. It took a week but we retrieved him thanking the family for their concern for him. They only lived two blocks away. We happened across him when they attempted to walk him. Not their fault I hadn't updated his ID tags to reflect his new phone number. I promptly did this on his return. With this new disappearance I decided more change was in order on his return to ensure he no longer had the opportunity to take advantage of an 11yr old's mistake. This night his collar had already been removed for a quiet night of sleep.

I hope you get your dog back but will he go missing again?

CearaQC
March 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I AM SAYING SHE IS YAPPING ABOUT FURRY FRIENDS GROUP AND THE HUMANE SOCIETY. HER DOG WAS AT THE IMPOUND SO ITS BETWEEN HER AND THEM. ONLY THEY KNOW.

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS EQUIVALENT TO YELLING. So are you yelling at Growler? :frustrated:

Why is it called impound instead of just pound?

Hey... we're only going by what we were told and nothing more.

And didn't she say that 70 km separates her residence from any of those places (shelter, pound, etc)?

Did her dog travel 70 km? Or did someone pick it up?

Maybe we're not getting the whole story. :shrug:

SARAH
March 18th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Maybe, but still - a dog that has run before, just "let out to do his business" without a leash or surveillance?

mona_b
March 18th, 2008, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=Kelly27;564530]I know absolutely nothing about breeding or whether or not a tattoo or chip is required for registration with the AKC,QUOTE]

Actually it is required.This is how the breeder identifies each pup when sold.It is then recorded with the registration papers and the kennel club.It is needed.Why your breeder didn't do any of this is beyond me.With a tattoo/chip you would have no problems getting Brew back.Seriously,I don't know of any ethical breeder who doesn't tattoo or chip.

I have raised 3 GSD's from the same breeder.They have all been tatooed.And their tattoo # is on the registration certificate.My current is 12 and I can still see his tattoo.I also had him chipped when he was 13 weeks old.

As for chips moving,I have never heard that before.The chip is placed in between the shoulder blade.It's more or less embeded into the skin.

You have any pics of Brew you can post?

My sister has a 12 year old Border Collie.:)

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Wow a lot of business while i was out....I have an appt with the Mayor this afternoon...hopefully he can help...now let me rebuttle some of the questions/accusations out there....I'll first respond to the two junior members that have just joined us I would assume from furry friends....may i add the only reason they're here is because I sent them the web link yesterday...that's when i still believed that the SPCA had Brew...there is a lot of misinformation because getting info is just that difficult...please remember I had NO WAY of knowing that Brew had left my town in the first place

And shame on you for jumping to the conclusion that I ignore my pets...He has a dog pen attached to my greenhouse and another fenced in area attached to that....my son let him out via another doorway closer to the computer! The other time I talk about him wandering was in the summer and was the result of kids running in and out of the house and not watching what they were doing. Please don't assume I deserve this because you'd be guilty of everything you're accusing me of. I did not wait weeks to look for Brew. I was looking in the wrong place.

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Mona I really wasen't joking when i said i knew nothing about breeding, when i got Brew I knew I would have to go to a Breeder and this gentleman I knew personally. I knew I wouldn't be showing or breeding so I really didn't care about by the book. I just knew I was getting a well loved family pet from a family that cared.

OnelnAMiII25
March 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Kelly, dont be discouraged by what others say. Like a said before. We are all humans and we make mistakes. Yes the dog got out, but obviously, you've been looking for him since he's been missing and you love your dog very much and theres nothing you wouldn't do to find him! And you've gotten the run around from the staff at the pound/shelter. I hope the meeting with the mayor helps!

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
and Ceara BINGO! I haven't been getting the whole story from the getgo. Just so everyone knows as soon as Robb from the Humane society went to this website and read what was going on he called me and helped me clear the muddy water a little...

so to the two new posts from the junior members I already clarified the situation in posts from yesterday and your coming here with guns a blazing to people that love animals as much as you if not more doesn't help anyone involved. Blading me and calling me a bad pet owner is rediculous. In 6 years I've never had a problem until I moved here to Carberry. There are some internal changed needed in this town and i've said that from the get go.

The only inconsistancy in my story has been with who had Brew and who has him now. Something i'm still trying to sort out over a month later.

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Thank you Gianna's mommy....at least it's good to see that people are coming to this website at my request....you wouldn't believe how many I sent out yesterday alone...nothing unkind has been said about the SPCA or Humane society since it was clarified to me who Brew was sent to...yes some assumptions were made on my part but that's all I had to go on...I'll do anything to get Brew back!

mona_b
March 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Mona I really wasen't joking when i said i knew nothing about breeding, when i got Brew I knew I would have to go to a Breeder and this gentleman I knew personally. I knew I wouldn't be showing or breeding so I really didn't care about by the book. I just knew I was getting a well loved family pet from a family that cared.

I never showed my guys or used them as a stud.BUT every ethical breeder does go by the books.That's why they are called ethical.LOL..And that's why they would know that when they breed and register,they need to identify EVERY pup with a tattoo or chip.Then this way if a dog does get lost,the tattoo or chip is the only way of recovery.Like I said,this is recorded with the Kennel Club.:)

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Let's review shall we.

Brew disappears. I look for Brew in Carberry. Pet owning residents cannot help me with info with regard to AC in the town. No shelter here. Continue looking for Brew assumed with some family here. Cashier tips me to (what was told to me was a shelter) the pound in Brandon. I call no answer. I call town hall they say they have no AC and no record of a dog being sent to Brandon by old AC agent. I call Bradon they relay to me that Brew's been adopted and was brought in by AC in Carberry. I call town hall to get old AC agent's name. I call old AC agent and he says yes he did but didn't turn in his ticket yet so town hall wouldn't know. I've been in contact with the Pound many times since and they won't tell me who has Brew.

Other than rewriting history and never taking Brew's collar off and never letting my son interact with him I do not know what I personally could have done better.

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
But Mona Brew is registered I do have his number but he's not tattooed or chipped so it couldn't be mandatory...now Brew isen't registered with the CKC because as far as I know they still don't recognize the Border Collie but maybe the AKC does it different?...dunno....It was relayed to me that the American Border Collie Association doesn't require it. In any case it wasen't important to me at the time...amazing how things change though.

hindsight is wonderful isen't it? Bites me in the butt everytime!

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
And plse don't forget a lot of my work to date has been done via computer and phone because i'm still recovering from Spinal surgery and cannot leave the house....I had my C5/C6/C7 fused and a diskectomy at C6/C7....they took a piece of bone out of my hip and replace a disk with it....I'm doing everything I can think of which brought me here to help me think of more things to do....and it's helped immensely....I hope those two members Thomas and Veracity come and read the whole story because something tells me they didn't or didn't understand...I do have posters all done up and they go up tomorrow I'll be talking to the pound again today to find out the result of the last he spoke to the new owners yesterday at my request...I showed him the poster and told him they'd be going up if they refused to talk to me...

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Sarah my son already knows he made a mistake

Winston
March 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Kelly..I just want to put my :2cents: in here...I personally would not worry about what others think here.!! We only go by what we read...many people will make assumptions from reading between the lines....

I think it is honorable that you clarified all information here pertaining to the pound, AC and SPCA....its not up to us to lay blame or judge anyone

For example, what would happen if you were involved in a car accident?? in the hospital for 2 months? lets say your dog was with you and he got away, AC or whomever pick him up...you dont come out of it for a month and begin to wonder where your dog is??? In the mean time he is adopted out to another family because no one claims him?? Is this fair? There has to be some kind of consideration in cases like this? dont you think?

Please stay strong for Brew...yes ultimately I feel bad for the other people but there were circumstance here that need to be looked into?

Cindy

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Very good analogy....actually there are posts in this lost and found from people that have had accidents and had their pets disappear as a result....the same situation could apply....

I just heard from the Mayor and he's on it...I did direct him here to this website so I hope he gets a clear picture through all the haze of what's happened here...

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Kelly, are you asking the pound to get your dog back or are you only asking that the pound contact the new owners, explain the situation and hope the new owners give Brew back to you?

I hope you understand the pound can't give you any info on the new owners, they can be sued. As far as the pound is concerned, they did no wrong, stray dog was turned in, nobody claimed him, he was saved from euthanasia by a family who adopted him. They can't keep all dogs indefinitely hoping the owners claim them. It is a risk all pet owners have if they allow their pets (cats included) to go free, no matter how the animal got out of the house. And they can't go to new owners and demand the dog back, that is not ethical (or legal) on their part. However, I do believe the story should be conveyed to the new owners and they should make the decision to give Brew back or not.

It is a really sad bit of events that happened, the info you received from City Hall, AC not turning in his ticket, your surgery and I really feel for you, people are given incorrect info all the time from gov't and they are not responsible for it.

Don't get me wrong, I do support you and hope you get Brew back, but I think this is between you and the new owners. I think Brew should be back with you, you and your family are his pack.

shirley1011
March 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Kelly, I hope the mayor can help with this problem..you do not deserve this run around..yes there was an error made by your son...but know one deserves to feel this pain..if it can be avoided.
Sounds like there were other mistakes made that you had no control over.
I still feel a phone call to whoever has Brew should have corrected the problem and Brew returned if they truly love Brew.
AKC does not require tatoo or microchips..CKC does..We have purchased 2 AKC Norwegian Elkhounds from the US and neither was done but transferring them to CKC does require microchipping now and they even sell the chips for this.
I have also heard from some the pounds I have visited looking for Sable that the chips sometimes do move especially if a dog looses a lot of weight it can shift but I really don't think that yours is done as it is not a requirement.
Also the tattoos that are done by rescues or privately are not registered with CKC so even if he had a tattoo that was not registered with CKC there would be no way of tracking from that...Sable as well has a tattoo as well as a chip and I was informed the tattoo # done by the shelter would not be traceable, only would be a means of identifying that he was my dog.
Kelly, I wish you the best in your efforts to find Brew as do all of us who so painfully searched for our missng pets.

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 01:47 PM
You are correct....I've been the first person to readily admit that the error was here in my town....the circumstances surrounding the adoption are at question and whether or not under those circumstances should the adoption remain legal...there needs to be an avenue that when owners are separated
from there pet that they have the opportunity to be reunited...If it were a child that had been adopted without due process the adoption would be nullified....why is this different....

I could happen to anyone in here....a nasty neighbour doesn't like you and decides to steal your dog and deliver him to a pound as a stray somewhere you would never think to look...If you happened across info in your search leading you to that pound would you fight to have him returned?

Mine wasen't stolen but his pick up was masked in so much retoric that I was led astray and only found him by talking to a cashier....so now I fight

I hope this helps you better understand me....thank you for participating!

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I don't know the law governing animal adoption...but I also don't have a warm fuzzy about the pound person representing me to the new owners either...I got the feeling he really didn't want me to get Brew to save the pound's reputation...He wasen't interested in Brew's best interest...how i see it anyway...plus they lied to us and that's not cool...telling me he was found half dead in a snow bank and he was sent to the animal rescue league...all false...all these things add up

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 02:02 PM
The kind of pain that this has created helps me to understand why this website exsists. You couldn't possibly know the pain involved until you feel it...and most here have so the support i've received here has been irreplacable...

It's also been a tool...i've directed newspapers, radio news pers and animal involvment groups here to read this article in hopes that I may get additional support and information...sometimes you have to ruffle a few feathers to get what you want but that's ok...i'm a big girl i can take it without losing my cool...

I'd rather say i'm sorry as apposed to I give up.

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
One more tidbit....I just spoke to AC in Brandon and he says he spoke to the owners again and they're still unwilling to bring Brew home...I left word for him to pass to them one final message and that was to visit this article...hopefully they due because it's all i have left as far as letting them decide for themselves...they've obviously never had this happen to them

Winston
March 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Kelly DONT GIVE UP!! We are here for you! If there is anything we can do please just ask! I would be willing to bet money on the fact that the new owners have not been told! If they were told they probably were not told the whole story!!! I am not in your shoes but if all else fails contact your lawyer! maybe the threat of a lawsuit to fight for your boy will change their minds....I am sure thats not what you want but BREW is your boy! I really hope you can bring him home!!

For all of those lurking here to read this! PLEASE HAVE SOME COMPASSION AND LET BREW COME HOME TO HIS PACK!

Cindy

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Here is a copy of Brandon's AC bylaws. Didnt' have time to go through all of them:
http://www.police.brandon.ca/main.nsf/eb1d07a18522999486256eac006ad0b9/38316a2eafd3e61e8625713900556c20/$FILE/5900C.LAW.pdf

Check out pg 14

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 02:56 PM
To the people with Brew:

Please understand I never wanted to lose my pup. He's been loved and cared for by us for 6 years and there are many even outside of my family who love him and have a vested interest in him. My son is beside himself and cries almost nightly while sleeping with his tags and collar he feels he forgot to ensure Brew was wearing. He's only 11 give him another opportunity to learn how to be responsible with a pet because he's already learned how to love one, dearly.

I never stopped looking for or loving him. Know that if the roles were reversed I would sadly return him to you, I know it wouldn't be easy but I couldn't live with myself knowing the pain I'm causing.

If you point your finger at him and say "bang you're dead" he layed down dead, he climbs trees and if you put a thick rope from a branch he'll hang on is...he dives into the water from docks and loves to play with branches, balls anything....he loves hide and seek, hold his collar and ask someone to hide then tell him "find him Brew" he will....it's my son's favorite game....if you take him fishing and you get a fish on the line he'll try and land it for you...

He's so full of joy you can't help but smile....He's Serendipidy's Brew and at 8 wks I introduced him to our family and I hoped to be the last one he saw before he rests....give me that chance, please.

Sincerely
Kelly-Ann

Kelly27
March 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Thank you love4himies

shirley1011
March 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Kelly...your thoughts are of a truly loved dog and I hope whoever has Brew has a chance to read and reconsiders where Brew really belongs.

I did get a reply from the Brandon SPCA where I wrote yesterday but just telling me that they had nothing to do with the placement. I wrote back asking for any help they might be able to give.

Hang in there Kelly, we are here for you and will help if we can.

Winston
March 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Kelly my heart is breaking for you! Hang in there! That was very clear how much your dog is loved! I wish I were closer and could help but please let us know we are here for you! Your poor son! Give him big hugs and let him know how many people are praying for Brew!

Cindy
:thumbs up

chico2
March 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Kelly,I hope the new owners of Brew reads this,they did a good thing adopting him and I am sure beeing a wonderful dog,they love him already.
However,I also hope they love him enough to realize he belongs with his family and it was all a huge mistake,a little boy is crying for his dog.:sad:
I believe this sad story has affected us all here at our Forum,I can only:pray:Brew will be brought back to the people he knows and loves.

chico2
March 18th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Kelly,once again I wrote the wrong people,this is what was replied to me:

Woah - we have some major confusion here... We do not run the pound! The
animal impound is owned and operated by the City of Brandon. The pound
facilities are managed by Shane, a fellow who operates the Brandon
Boarding Kennel. He doesn't make the rules there, he just enforces them.
If someone has an issue with the operations of the impound facilities,
they need to take that to the City of Brandon.

Now, I personally go to the pound once a week and take pictures of the
dogs there, and we post them up on our website, with the contact
information for the city pound. Owners can check there for their animals
and we do note on that page that it is not necessarily up-to-date because
I sometimes can't get out there more than once a week.

I can not say I recall an Australian Shepherd coming through the pound
recently. I can tell you that some animals get adopted directly from the
pound and others are placed through our rescue. Any animals currently in
our rescue are on our website on the adoptable dogs page... We have an
Australian Shepherd named Mick but he came to us from previous owners in
Winnipeg, and another fellow Tristen who is in poor heath came to us when
his owner passed away.

Many of the animals who have been through the pound have been there
several weeks before they have been adopted or taken into rescue. I am
sure if these people were looking for their animal, they would have
checked long before then...

Just to clarify - I am an individual involved with a nationally registered
charity and we are NOT the city pound - we simply post animals AT the
pound on our website to help reconnect them with their owners.

- Dana

shirley1011
March 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
hmmm Chico..this person knows too much about this facility..but she has the wrong breed of Dog..she is trying to match up an Australian shepherd...not a Border Collie...big differnence..I wonder if Dana is worth another try to see if she remembers a Collie???

Jim Hall
March 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM
was this dog microchhipped ? arent all registered dogs ?

coppperbelle
March 18th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I'm almost positive that a breeder is not required to tattoo or microhip their pups in order to register them. I would think that a good breeder would but it is not mandatory.
Microchip's do move, by the way and often. Another problem with chips is that the readers are not universal. If the shelter or vet doesn't have a reader that is compatible with the chip in the dog it will not read it.
To the newbies who came here to plead their case, please be civil. From what I have read everyone who has contributed to this thread has been polite and supportive and I see the mood changing after your negative comments.
As for typing in caps, it is considered rude and screaming in the world wide web.
Accidents happen especially when kids are involved. I know I work with them.

mona_b
March 19th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'm almost positive that a breeder is not required to tattoo or microhip their pups in order to register them. I would think that a good breeder would but it is not mandatory.

Actually with the CKC it is.

All dogs must be uniquely and permanently identified with an approved Canadian Standard microchip transponder or a tattoo, prior to leaving the breeder's premises.

This from the CKC site.And this is how I have always known it to be.This going as far back as 24 years ago when I got my first GSD.

Wow,I guess the AKC is really different then the CKC,in more ways then one.

Also the tattoos that are done by rescues or privately are not registered with CKC so even if he had a tattoo that was not registered with CKC there would be no way of tracking from that...

Very true.I just don't understand why the AKC wouldn't make it mandatory:confused:...This is really the only true way you can prove the dog is yours.:shrug:

kelly,since the new adopters are NOT willing to give Brew back,then I strongly suggest you talk to your lawyer and take legal action.Enough is enough from these people.Time to get tough.Seriously.Brew needs to be back home with you.And trust me,if I was in this situation,I would definately be taken action.:thumbs up

shirley1011
March 19th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I also think AKC should make microchips mandatory. We just bought a male Norwegian Elkhound and had to microchip him to be registered now with CKC.

Kelly, do you think it will help if we write to the newspapers in Brandon, asking for their help in this sad story of finding Brew?
I do feel for the new owners of Brew but they can't know all the facts or
they would return him to where he is loved by his real family.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM
kelly,since the new adopters are NOT willing to give Brew back,then I strongly suggest you talk to your lawyer and take legal action.Enough is enough from these people.Time to get tough.Seriously.Brew needs to be back home with you.And trust me,if I was in this situation,I would definately be taken action.:thumbs up

I don't understand who she would sue?? The pound did what it was legally allowed to do. The new owners legally adopted this animal. Is this fair to the new owners who have followed the law and possibly rescued this dog from euthanesia??? How was the pound going to be able to locate Brew's owners??? Should they keep a dog indefinitely thinking the dog's owners may show up some day or maybe not?
The town she lives in because AC did not submit his ticket on a timely basis? That still won't bring Brew back.

The fact of the matter is, the dog was let outside to roam with out any ID. The dog was picked up by AC, taken to the pound and adopted out.

I feel very badly for you, kelly, I really do and especially for your son who must be going through hell.

chico2
March 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Shirley,OMG my mistake,I said Australian Sheperd:wall:I'll correct my mistake..

CearaQC
March 19th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I also think AKC should make microchips mandatory.

Why? Why on earth would you wish for such a thing? What's wrong with the tattoo ID??

What is so special about a microchip - introducing foreign material into the body that emits an electromagnetic field (EMF)? All living creatures have internal EMF. In humans, it emits from the heart and brain. Introducing yet ANOTHER form of EMF into the body may not be the wisest thing to do. We're already bombarded with enough.

Just think about it for a moment... would you wish to receive the implant? What about all your loved ones and family?

What if it was required for every human to receive the chip. Is that really a good idea?

If you don't want a human to get the chip, then why would it be OK to do it to animals?

The public knows so little about the chips or the long term effects. We're told it's safe... but is it really? And if it is safe, then why are several states in the USA trying to stop legislation for forced microchipping of humans but yet it's OK to do it in animals? :confused:

Poor animals... :sad:

I stand against microchipping of ANY living creature.

mona_b
March 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I don't understand who she would sue?? The pound did what it was legally allowed to do. The new owners legally adopted this animal. Is this fair to the new owners who have followed the law and possibly rescued this dog from euthanesia??? How was the pound going to be able to locate Brew's owners??? Should they keep a dog indefinitely thinking the dog's owners may show up some day or maybe not?
The town she lives in because AC did not submit his ticket on a timely basis? That still won't bring Brew back.

The fact of the matter is, the dog was let outside to roam with out any ID. The dog was picked up by AC, taken to the pound and adopted out.

You are actually making this sound like no one should ever get their lost dog back:confused:How many people have come on here to say they have lost their dogs.We tell them the steps to take.Would have it mattered any if Brew did have his collar and tags but somehow the coller came off?Think about it.What if you were in this situation?Would you just give up or would you fight to get your dog back?

As for her getting a hold of her lawyer,she doesn't have to "sue" persay.The pound knows that kelly has been looking for Brew,the pound knows who the new adopters are.The new adopters will not give up Brew knowing the original owners want their dog back.Brew has been in kellys family for 6 years.There are kids involved also.People don't like to hear it when you mention lawyer.And I have talked to my nieces hubby who is a criminal lawyer about this situation.He has actually told me that there have been some cases like this,and yes,the original owner does get their dog back.

chico2
March 19th, 2008, 10:19 AM
This is not a finders/keepers situation,Brew is not a thing,but a dog with feelings of sorrow and happiness,mistakes were made,mistakes that can be undone.
I am not saying the pound did wrong,but now it's time to make things right for Brew.
Brew is family,you do not give up on family,he belongs in the home he grew up.:pray:

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
You are actually making this sound like no one should ever get their lost dog back:confused:How many people have come on here to say they have lost their dogs.We tell them the steps to take.Would have it mattered any if Brew did have his collar and tags but somehow the coller came off?Think about it.What if you were in this situation?Would you just give up or would you fight to get your dog back?

As for her getting a hold of her lawyer,she doesn't have to "sue" persay.The pound knows that kelly has been looking for Brew,the pound knows who the new adopters are.The new adopters will not give up Brew knowing the original owners want their dog back.Brew has been in kellys family for 6 years.There are kids involved also.People don't like to hear it when you mention lawyer.And I have talked to my nieces hubby who is a criminal lawyer about this situation.He has actually told me that there have been some cases like this,and yes,the original owner does get their dog back.

That is not what I am saying, I prey everyday that Sable, Billie, and Spencer come home. I don't believe people should just keep animals they have found, I believe they should be reported as found to the local shelter and vets. My heart goes out to all those families who have lost their loved ones and have cried at my computer, frustrated everytime Shirley posted that she wasn't able to find Sable. My heart goes out especially to her son who must be feeling horrible guilt. I really hope that they get Brew back too, but the fact is that she lost her right to Brew by allowing him out free. In our society we have AC, shelters and rescues that have to be able to operate within legal boundries and those, out of kindness of their hearts, adopt from these shelters without fear that one day the original owners will come and sue them for what they obtained legally. That is not fair to the new owners or to shelters. It is a very sad situation, but there are rules to follow in our society.

As for the collar coming off, that is why there is microchipping, which I think should be as routine as vaccinations.
This is very heartbreaking, just as the post about Krinkles, the cat, but it is a risk animal owners take when they allow their pets roam free.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45777&highlight=Mississauga

mona_b
March 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
In our society we have AC, shelters and rescues that have to be able to operate within legal boundries and those, out of kindness of their hearts, adopt from these shelters without fear that one day the original owners will come and sue them for what they obtained legally. That is not fair to the new owners or to shelters. It is a very sad situation, but there are rules to follow in our society.

Yes there are rules and laws.But these shelters should have some ideas that there are owners out there searching for their lost pets.And I'm sorry for the new adopters,but they too should have it in the back of their mind that since this dog came in as a stray,the owners may be looking for them.Do I trust pounds,no not a 100%...But I won't start a war on here about that.

An original owner has every right to fight and get back their animal.Trust me,I would do the same.

but the fact is that she lost her right to Brew by allowing him out free

She lost her right?That's a little cold.Mistakes happen.We live and learn from them.We don't punish.

As for Krinkles,I know all about that.There was a huge right up in the Toronto Star and Sun,This cat was chipped and had tags.So they knew who the owner was.They did nothing to get in touch with his owner.And if I recall it was a family member watching the cat,so they could have called.A HUGE error on their part.

mrthomas
March 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
So You Are Saying That Pounds Should Keep Dogs Indefenately Until The Owners Come? What Does This Say For People Adopting From Pounds - Dont Do It Because There Is A Risk The Owners Will Come Back Down The Road And Take The Dog Away? dogs Left At Pounds Are Dead, Unless They Are Rescued By Someone. If Someone Helped Brew By Saving His Life Then He Is Lucky And You Should Be Gratful He Is Alive. Not Trying To Take Him Away From The People Who Made Him A Part Of Their Family. Why Is No One Looking At It Like That? The Pounds Keep Animals Several Days Before Letting Them Go. How Long Before You Called Them? I Also Agree With The Person Who Said Why Did You Not Put Up Posters Or Adds In The Papers?

pbpatti
March 19th, 2008, 11:58 AM
[ How Long Before You Called Them? I Also Agree With The Person Who Said Why Did You Not Put Up Posters Or Adds In The Papers?[/QUOTE]

You're Caps Sound Like You Are Judging. Please be respectful of all and do not judge.

If you read the whole thread you would see that they have done evrything possible to get Brew back, please before you post your opnions read up what has already been discussed. This family is in a lot of pain and just trying to get their Dog/Family Member back. patti

mona_b
March 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I am saying that pounds need to be prepared for the original owners to come looking for them(pets I mean)

Would you give up your dog that easy?A dog that has been in your family for YEARS?A dog that your kids love and adore?A dog that you raised since 8 weeks?

So our Brews, Sables,Spencers and Billies get brought to a pound and get adopted,these owners are supposed to stand back and and say oh well,they have been saved by these new adopters,let them have them???.Hell no...Some people wouldn't give a rats behind,but I know these owners do.And they care and want their dogs back.They are part of their family.

Get real.These owners have a heart and feelings.Seriously some people need to be in these peoples shoes.Ten to one your thoughts would be sooo different.

mrthomas
March 19th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Keep In Mind That Just Because Someone Writes It Doesnt Make It True. I Am Asking Cuz There Is Another Family Or Person Involved Here Too And Maybe They Have Kids Too? Who Is Thinking About That? Also Groups Who Are Being Insulted Here That Help Animals. Its All One Sided Here.

Winston
March 19th, 2008, 12:26 PM
mrthomas....

Lets reverse the situation here! You have been in an accident and your dog gets away...you wake up in the hospital 3 weeks later..wondering where your dog is?? Someone investigates this and finds out that your dog was picked up...placed in the pound, animal shelter rescue whatever you want to call it...and subsequently is adopted...You manage to track down some info about your dog and that he is safe and new home. Would you just walk away?? Walk away from the dog you raised, your family knows, where he is loved? I am not saying that the adoptee's dont love this dog...the point being that this family didnt do anything wrong here?? they lost the dog they love and for whatever the circumstances they deserve to have their dog back...

I think if you were in this family's shoes you might feel the same way....It is tragic no matter what way you look at it isn't it! Can you honestly say that you would walk away from your pet and not put up a fight because he is loved by someone else....

It would be ideal if someone could arrange a conversation between the new owners and the old owners and I think if someone facilitated this request things would work out in the long run? I realise what your saying about the adoption places having to have some guarantee for the dogs they adopt out BUT would they really have such a problem giving a dog back once they new the truth to the story? They are certainly free to return the dog if it doesn't adapt in their home so why not in this case as well...Simply put this is a mistake and no one needs to be blamed here...just return the dog....

Cindy

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I am saying that pounds need to be prepared for the original owners to come looking for them(pets I mean)

Would you give up your dog that easy?A dog that has been in your family for YEARS?A dog that your kids love and adore?A dog that you raised since 8 weeks?

So our Brews, Sables,Spencers and Billies get brought to a pound and get adopted,these owners are supposed to stand back and and say oh well,they have been saved by these new adopters,let them have them???.Hell no...Some people wouldn't give a rats behind,but I know these owners do.And they care and want their dogs back.They are part of their family.

Get real.These owners have a heart and feelings.Seriously some people need to be in these peoples shoes.Ten to one your thoughts would be sooo different.

I don't want to get into an argument with you, but what do you think shelters/rescuers should do? Go to the new adopters who now have legal ownership and take him away? I think this is an empathy issue between the new owners and Kelly.

You are right, we all make mistakes, some very tragic and sad, but there are consequences for mistakes, sounds cold, but is a fact of life.

I, personally, would return Brew to Kelly after I was satisfied that they were the rightful owners and that they don't allow Brew free again, but I don't agree with legal action. If everybody started doing that Shelters would go bankrupt from legal fees, and would get a reputation of untrust. They can't place all the animals they currently have and most are barely keeping their heads afloat financially.

As for Krinkles, I believe AC did hand deliver a letter to the house which was received by the homesitter who did not open it, even knowing the cat was missing. This story is also very sad.:sad:,

You don't know me or what I have gone through in my life, I am extremely empathetic person who loves animals more than you can imagine. I volunteer at a tiny no kill humane society and know that any legal action that would entail having to get a lawyer would bankrupt them and then many animals would suffer. Or they would have to make a choice, legal fees or vet fees, can't afford both.

Jim Hall
March 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
mrthomas....

Lets reverse the situation here! You have been in an accident and your dog gets away...you wake up in the hospital 3 weeks later..wondering where your dog is?? Someone investigates this and finds out that your dog was picked up...placed in the pound, animal shelter rescue whatever you want to call it...and subsequently is adopted...You manage to track down some info about your dog and that he is safe and new home. Would you just walk away?? Walk away from the dog you raised, your family knows, where he is loved? I am not saying that the adoptee's dont love this dog...the point being that this family didnt do anything wrong here?? they lost the dog they love and for whatever the circumstances they deserve to have their dog back...

I think if you were in this family's shoes you might feel the same way....It is tragic no matter what way you look at it isn't it! Can you honestly say that you would walk away from your pet and not put up a fight because he is loved by someone else....

It would be ideal if someone could arrange a conversation between the new owners and the old owners and I think if someone facilitated this request things would work out in the long run? I realise what your saying about the adoption places having to have some guarantee for the dogs they adopt out BUT would they really have such a problem giving a dog back once they new the truth to the story? They are certainly free to return the dog if it doesn't adapt in their home so why not in this case as well...Simply put this is a mistake and no one needs to be blamed here...just return the dog....

Cindy

is a very god question NAd I cant honesly say what i would do I like to think I jave the courage to give her up to a loving home and get another but who can say ?

shirley1011
March 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM
You are so right Jim..who can say...well until you have lost your family dog, you have no idea the pain and heartache it can cause your family.
I personally have logged over 80,000 km. and paid for newspaper ads for over a year, called every shelter, pound SPCA I can think of in the area..taken in posters, put out over 2000 flyers and cards and if for some reason Sable slips through the cracks and gets adopted by someone else...you think I am going to be gracious enough to back off...I don't think so.
Sable is microchipped & tattooed but that isn't helping much.
When you have had a dog like Brew for 6 years, he is family. An AC screwed up and I think he and his superiors are the ones that need to intervene and make it right for Kelly. They will never agree to let Kelly meet with the new owners but I feel they should be given the facts that there was an error made. I also understand that the shelters and pounds have to adopt out animals but there needs to be more checks in place so this type of thing does not happen. I have heard repeatedly from this site as well as others, don't just call go to the shelter because they don't always know what you are describing and if Kelly had the right information she could have gone to where Brew was...That is the point that is being missed.

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Wow I've just only returned and this has become a very interesting thread indeed....Let me start by saying that I respect everyone's opinion even if it's oposite of mine and I don't hold grudges...One thing I have to say though is please do not comment on this thread if the only rebutle you have is that I'm lieing...that is something that cannot be debated and I truely believe anyone that has entered here with a story. Let's face it that's why they're here. There has been some mix ups in info but definately no flat out lies...

guys if that last web link i provided didn't do the trick i'm kinda lost...they said there was a link off the city of brandon web site but it only provides a phone number...maybe the pound doesn't have a web site....I'll look into it again today....as for the town's mistake...yes...they admit it and the Mayor is going to bat at the city for me...all i can do is wait...

YES I do have posters...holy cow...I haven't diseminated them yet because I held hope that the pound would come through for me...since they haven't as of yesterday I WILL be plastering the city....I'll start another post before this gets too long....again...lol

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Your correct Jim in your comments...I've struggles with the ethics of taking Brew or surrendering him because of the other family involved and in the end i continue soley because they seem to be uncaring of mine by not communicating with us

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
mrthomas welcome back i'm happy you returned....I was thinking it was soley a hit and run by yourself and verocity....please understand this

everyone involved in this thread was being guided by the same misinformation that was being provided to me....the first mistake was when the pound was said to me to be a shelter....the names SPCA/shelter were used to me intermitently by various people here....that's why I thought the SPCA had Brew....when emails were sent I thought they were being sent to "Shane" at the SPCA/Kennel/Pound....I thought they were all in one....I voluntarily emailed the President and vice president of the board of directors of the SPCA to visit this website and clear it up....which they did in a phone call to me....I immediately let everyone here know what had happened and the SPCA was never mentioned again until yourself and verocity came in with guns a blazin...

now the problem is trying to redirect these same emails to the pound....we cannot find a link....

more to follow....

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM
HEY! I'm not a Junior member anymore....oh joy

The last webite I provided remember i said it represented two pounds...one for Brandon and area and one for the county of Cornwallis....I did call Golden Acres which is the kennel that acts as the pound for the county and they weren't even aware of who was the pound for my town....I'm starting to wonder if Brandon Kennels has any jurisdiction over my town? I think there may only be some kind of verbal agreement in place....I asked them why Carberry strays were sent to Brandon when Cornwallis county is closer by half the distance....they didn't know....but i do know this we are definately not part of the City of Brandon and they're rules and regulations do not apply here....we have absolutely no mandatory pet registration or fines there of....that's right from the old AC agent i spoke to....

when i spoke to the Mayor yesterday I told him changes were needed and he agreed....hopefully i'll be the person to implement them...hopefully i'll recover from this surgery in time to take the job....mind you there's no line ups for it...

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Question: Why are strayes taken to the pound and not the shelter in the first place....the second last town I lived in only had a shelter and no pound....if adoptable animals are at risk of being put down in pounds why are they in use?....

And just so everyone knows Brew in this case because of his personality was not at risk of being euthanized...Shane had no intention of putting him down...he felt he was very adoptable and my hat goes off for him for that....

Thank you Shane

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 01:49 PM
They will never agree to let Kelly meet with the new owners but I feel they should be given the facts that there was an error made.

I agree, and if the new owners have any empathy, they will return Brew. How would Kelly ever know if the pound actually does contact the new owners? I still think she should put a lost ad in the Brandon paper with a picture of Brew hoping the new owners see it and contact Kelly.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Aren't pounds city/town run and our tax money is used to fund them. That is why they are high kill shelters, they don't waste tax payers money on animals:sad:. Humane Societies and SPCA's are charities, not receiving any tax funding.

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
FINALLY....In my frenzy to send out my story yesterday I got a response from the Brandon Sun as follows:

hi Kelly,

What an awful story -- that's a terrible situation to be in, and I had no idea that pets located in Carberry might be shipped here to Brandon.

I've forwarded your tale to our pets columnist and also to the editor of the daily paper. I hope we'll be able to do something for you.

Good luck

Grant Hamilton
Brandon Sun
Community News

On 17-Mar-08, at 4:16 PM, Jaz wrote:

go to www.pets.ca then to their lost and found link. Read the article entitled Bring Brew Home. Might be a wonderful human interest story. Plse reply soonest with comments...

Kelly

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Give me some feedback on this comment with regards to the SPCA (of whom I am an advocate) This is something that I've been thinking of

Since the SPCA is a no kill facility what do they do with wild cats...of which there are multitudes of here in this area and I know a great many have been euthanized at the pound. You see this is a huge farming area and cats are sought out as farm cats to keep the critter population down. These cats remain unsocialized and created for man's use. When the cat makes it's way to the town where i would assume food is more plentiful they are captured and sent to the pound. Unadoptable they are euthanized. The bulk of all animals AC sent out of this town are cats.

What would the SPCA do with such felines. Would they socialize them and try and adopt them out or simply send them to the pound so they can retain their no kill status? No accusations are being made here i'm simply asking so put away the ammo....lol

shirley1011
March 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Kelly do you have an email address for the paper..I would like to send a letter to that dept. as well.
Also, I know you are new as I was only some months ago, but I did send you
a private message..top left hand corner.
Could you please take a look and let me have your email address as I did get a response from the SPCA that I would like to forward to you...not of any importance but thought you might like to read.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Give me some feedback on this comment with regards to the SPCA (of whom I am an advocate) This is something that I've been thinking of

Since the SPCA is a no kill facility what do they do with wild cats...of which there are multitudes of here in this area and I know a great many have been euthanized at the pound. You see this is a huge farming area and cats are sought out as farm cats to keep the critter population down. These cats remain unsocialized and created for man's use. When the cat makes it's way to the town where i would assume food is more plentiful they are captured and sent to the pound. Unadoptable they are euthanized. The bulk of all animals AC sent out of this town are cats.

What would the SPCA do with such felines. Would they socialize them and try and adopt them out or simply send them to the pound so they can retain their no kill status? No accusations are being made here i'm simply asking so put away the ammo....lol

It depends upon the shelter and their governance. Some will euthanize any unadoptable pets because they just can waste precious resources on them when there are so many unwanted cats:sad:.
If they are babies they are sent out to foster homes to socialize them and will go up for adoption when they are ready. True feral adults are very hard to socialize, if not impossible. Other shelters spay/neuter/vaccinate and send them to farms who have agreements with the shelter, similar to a trap, neuter, release program.
I volunteer for a no kill, 100% volunteer shelter (no money for paid positions only for the animals), they would not send their cats to the pound. Some of their cats have gone to a farm because they were deemed unadoptable.

onster
March 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
kelly, this is a bit off topic, but can you please go back to your first post and edit it into paragraphs. I have read it all, as have many members, but its a bit of a doozy. Since your directing newspapers and such to the site, it would make it a whole lot easier if you made it more 'user friendly'...they'd be more obliged to actually read it in their busy days and hopefully respond :2cents:

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
ooo good response never thought of that....have the cat spayed/neutered and offer them out to the farms as farm cats but without the ability to procreate...they may still wander but at least they won't add to the population....should be advertised to the farms so they know where to go for their farm cats....

But I thought part of the adoption process at the shelter was that you needed to provide a home...and not house them in a barn or tie them in a yard permanently....

I do like your response though...better than euthanizing them....I don't know of that many farmers that wouldn't take in an additional farm cat....they are fed daily but also left on their own instincts to hunt on the farm without restraint....

Overall i wish farmers would control their own rodent problems and keep cats as pets and not farm equipment....At least take it as their own responsibility to spay or neuter them first....i don't know thoughts? In the end better on the farm then dead...

As soon as I hear from the Mayor I'll let you guys know....

Kelly

mrthomas
March 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I Am Really Only Posting Here Because Rescues And Spca Do Good Things And This Is In My Area. I Hate To See Them Insulted.

One Last Thing To Ask, Just Wondering Why Your Husband Did Not Assist In The Search While You Were Ill?

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Good idea! ummm how? I don't see the edit beside the quote anymore....

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
good question mrthomas....funny too because i just sent a private message addressing this very issue....we are a military family that is both myself and my husband are military....right now my husband is in AB and shortly after his return he'll be in QC for weeks....prior to his departure he did go on our behalf and speak to the pound and call them prior because i couldn't talk or travel..I only found out Brew was sent to Brandon 2 days before my surgery....

before it came to our attention that Brew was in Brandon he shared in our responsibility to find Brew here in Carberry...talking to people and driving around looking in yards

Unfortunately the timing couldn't have been worse...you see prior to my operation my workplace was responsible for sending soldiers to Afghanistan for the next rotation. So in the middle of sending approx 800 men and women oversees is when this all happened...we both worked late nights and weekends and when we were home we were looking for Brew...and trying to piece the puzzle together....

my operation has actually given me a chance to dedicate myself more fully and find answers but i still cannot travel

on a side note: Of the soldiers just recently sent there from CFB Shilo two have already been killed.....jesus accept them into your home with open arms

but rest assured when i need to get out there I will, I did against docs orders visit the pound with my husband before he left so i could see him eye to eye and show him physically my documentation on my dog and my emotion linked with bringing him home, that's why i was able to comment on his reaction of what i considered to be laughing at me to my acclimation that Brew had feelings too

through all of this I have not let my struggle to get Brew home...i do have posters which need to be changed because i mention the wrong agency in them and they will go out hoping that another Brandonite will confess to where they've seen Brew, I know he's out there and I will find him.

The only time I was not able to contribute to my struggle was my stay in the hospital and i spent most nights up speaking with nurses about it and getting their ideas on it....because i couldn't sleep...It was actually one of them that said to go to city hall. I just know I won't get anywhere with them i need my Mayor to help....that's his playground...and I think he will....he's a good man

Jim Hall
March 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
so lets say you find the new owners and they say we are keeping brew what then
lets say the paper prints an article and the rescue org that had brew gets a load of bad publicity and loses thier funding what then

supoose that brandon decides that with all the trouble that is being caused they decide not to have a pound what then

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
mrthomas if I were in your shoes although probably a little more diplomatic I would have done the same thing....

after the info was sorted out nothing unkind has been said of the SPCA, we were only going on bad info and I'm happy it was sorted out because as an ex volunteer of my local SPCA it was unbelievably hurtful to me all the things I understood the local SPCA to be guilty of....i'm relieved....and i'm happy you returned because the hit and run we recieved initially from yourself and verocity might have blemished the professionalism of your foundation...but I do understand your energy in defending your establishment...we are all supporters of the humane society's work...I would love some assistance if you deem it justifiable...

I'm only trying to right a wrong...

shirley1011
March 19th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Kelly as I have said before shelters and SPCA's do wonderful work..but there was an error made here..not there's but one was made and I don't think that Brew should have to suffer the concequences because of it.
We should all be proud as Canadians that you and your husband are dedicated to helping our forces.
I hope the Mayor does stand up for you and your family and I know how quickly you can learn to love a dog but I truly feel if the adoptive family knows the whole story, they will find it in their hearts to return Brew and go on to give a wonderful forever home to another.

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
well Jim a loss of a pound to me is not a loss...if there is no wrong done then there should be no reason for bad publicity

onster
March 19th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Good idea! ummm how? I don't see the edit beside the quote anymore....

hmmmmm, i dont know why that would be........ive edited things long after i posted them. Maybe pm marko/other admin?

Jim Hall
March 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=shirley1011;565494]Kelly as I have said before shelters and SPCA's do wonderful work..but there was an error made here..not there's but one was made and I don't think that Brew should have to suffer the concequences because of it.

brew is most likely happily in her new home and being walked on a leash
with a collar and current information

the error made was not having brew on a leash that was the error ]

OnelnAMiII25
March 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=shirley1011;565494]Kelly as I have said before shelters and SPCA's do wonderful work..but there was an error made here..not there's but one was made and I don't think that Brew should have to suffer the concequences because of it.

brew is most likely happily in her new home and being walked on a leash
with a collar and current information

the error made was not having brew on a leash that was the error ]

Wow Jim, your being a little harsh!!! You've never made a mistake in your life? Your not perfect either!! We all deserve a break sometimes!!

aslan
March 19th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I agree Jim you are being harsh, when was the last time you had your dog, in your yard on a leash? It was an accident that a child made. Kelly already admited her fault in this. But if I read this thread right, they only waited 3 days before giving Brew away. Here in Toronto the dog is held for 7 days before being put up for adoption.

mrthomas
March 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I Dont Know How Harsh This Is. No One Is Thinking About The People Who Saved The Dogs Life. If He Was Not Adopted He Would Be Dead. Now It Seems That Because Someone Saved The Dogs Life They Are Being Asked To Give The Dog Up. Is No One Else Seeing That The Attack Here Is On The New Home When The Dog Would Otherwise Be Dead?

Everyone Makes Mistakes But What Mistake Did The Rescuers Make?

shirley1011
March 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
The rescuers made no mistake mrthomas you are right..the Cranberry AC officer made the error. And of course a little boy made a tradgic error.
It is not like this poor family have not tried to find their family dog...and I think if the facts were presented to the new family they may see that Brew deserves to be back where he has been loved for 6 years.

and Jim, I wish you no bad luck, but I hope you never loose a dog because until you do you will never understand the heartache.

onster
March 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
mrthomas, this isnt an attack or anything..but whats up with the capital letter to every word? :shrug:

Obviously theres two sides. A mistake happened, but like someone said there are consequences to mistakes - that is life. That is why kelly and her son are in the position they are in now.

The new 'parents' dont have to give up Brew...it would be nice if they did, but they dont have to. They are not evil if they dont, but they arent so empathetic. Yes, they did save the dogs life by adopting brew, but this does not mean they can't still 'have a heart'. Like mrthomas said, they may also have a young child that will be heartbroken without brew, however if they are reading this: what better lesson in humanity to teach your child? If your famiy will be upset, how much more upset is kelly's?

If you dont get Brew back Kelly it will indeed be very sad. Be comforted though that he is in a loving home now that wanted him and saved him. Maybe they just arent strong enough to give him back...

danaekitty
March 19th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Poor Kelly - A lot of people are just making the same comments (accusations and jabs, in some cases, *ahem*) over and over again!!! Kelly, your diplomacy in defending yourself and repeating information you've already posted is astounding.
I don't think you should encourgae the people on this board that are criticising you for things you cannot undo by answering to their judgements over and over - it must be exhausting for you. Just update us once in awhile...you certainly don't deserve to be hung to dry.

chico2
March 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Kelly,I am really happy the media has taken an interest in your very sad story.
Hopefully between the major and the paper something will be resolved:pray:
I agree with danaekitty,you have graciously taken the critic from some people here and I admire your restraint.
Were it my dog,I think I might not have been able to be as gracious.
The new family could have a child,who would miss Brew,but on the other hand Brew could also be kept on a chain outside,who knows??
I only know one thing for sure,Brew belongs in his home,the home he grew up in and loves and I sincerely hope you will have him back soon:pray:

I am a financial supporter of the SPCA as well as other donations etc.,I would never badmouth the SPCA,I know the many good things they do.
Our local Humane Society,is a no-kill shelter and I have relied on them on many occasions,a wounded bird,dead Raccoon on the road or just simply having them come here and pick up a lost cat/dog.
I don't know what I would have done without them in many instances.

I am hoping you will be able to meet with the adopters,that they will realize your heartache and give you Brew back,then we will party!!:thumbs up

Jim I do not know why you are so accusing,all of us could lose an animal,even I lost my Chico,just for a couple of hours,but I nearly went in to hysterics over it,as was said we all make mistakes and in this case it was an 11yr old boy.
I am sure Kelly is greatful Brew was found and is alive,but the heartache of not having him home where he belongs,must be unbearable.

chico2
March 19th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Kelly,this is the latest e-mail I recieved,after correcting Brews breed to border-Collie:
Anita,
You are asking me a very hard question! Border Collies are the most
common breed we see through the pounds around here. There have been
several - one that was originally from the Winnipeg Humane Society and
found it's way back. Several that came through our rescue and others that
went to homes straight through the pound. The last one we took through
rescue was in the pound for around 3 weeks. But that would be a while
back. Check our website - it's kept very current.

The best thing to do is deal directly with the pound or their city/rural
municipality. Shane is an incredibly kind person and he keeps almost all
of the dogs beyond the 72 hour time frame - at his own expense in many
cases, in hopes the owners will come for them. Of course, there is only
so much kennel space - so they can not keep the dogs forever. If no one
comes for them after a week - sometimes longer, then they are adopted out
directly through the pound or an organization such as ours finds a place
for them through rescue. If they do not utilize adoption options, the
animal is euthanized. (So, of course, we want to see them all get adopted
or in rescue if the owners do not come for them!)

We do not accept found dogs in rescue - we send everyone to the pound for
their area if they have found a dog. We can not take them into rescue
until the owners have been given a fair chance to locate them. We pull
them from the pound if they are facing euthanasia, of course. Usually at
this point the owners have been given a few weeks to come for them.

If the dog has been adopted it, it would have been left quite some time at
the pound. I do not believe that legally any information on adoptive
homes can be disclosed -the Privacy Act of Canada is pretty strict about
disclosing personal information.

- Dana

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
But I thought part of the adoption process at the shelter was that you needed to provide a home...and not house them in a barn or tie them in a yard permanently....

Kelly

Also, I believe the farmer had to agree to feed the cats, provide shelter, etc. (I know I was shocked when I first heard one of the kitties was going to a farm so I had to ask the same question as you) It would be more like an outdoor kitty, that is provided for. Better than euthanasia I guess, it gives the kitty a chance for a life.

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
My patience will pay off in the long run and it's no one's fault here for what has happened...I'm here to pick brains and gain support...and i've gotten that 10 fold...

As far as the devil's advocates; if i can face them here i can do it in public so it's a good test....

Maybe I haven't made something quite clear enough

the new keepers of Brew will possibly suffer in the long run along with myself now because of the inefficiency of the AC process here in Carberry, not because of me....If I had lived in Brandon and this happened I would have known exactly where to find Brew and retrieved him within the 72 hour timeframe, paid a fine and carried on with my son finding out what happens when certain things are not done properly....

Unfortunately I live here without due process and my dog was lost from me. I was left looking in the dark with no direction. That is the real story here, not that my dog was left unattended by my 11yr old but that I was not afforded the opportunity to reunite with him... so in the end put the blame where it should be...it certainly isen't with me....

Brew was at the pound so it seems a couple of weeks....more than is normally allocated because he was deemed adoptable and not at risk of euthanasia....if he had been put down these conversations would not be happening and I would be going straight to court...but that's not the case...

Now in the end if the new family is hurt I hope their blame goes where it should....

How's that for a rebuttle?

coppperbelle
March 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
This story reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. Some kids in the neighborhood found a golden and brought him to me. They thought he may be lost and knew I did rescue work. I brought him into my home, set him up in the garage, fed him, gave him water and a warm bed to sleep on. I contacted all the local shelters and left my number with the one that was responsible for picking up dogs in our area. After 5 days no one had claimed him, the legal claim time had passed and so we had him neutered and then put him up for adoption. He was adopted immediatley. A week after finding him he was in a new loving home. A day or two later I received a call from someone who got my number from the shelter. She asked if I had found a golden and my heart sank. We had this dog neutered and he was now living in a new home. What would I say to his new owners who were already in love with him! I was annoyed that she had waited a week to look for him but she said he had done this before and he usually came home on his own. We decided as a group that if this turned out to be her dog and wanted him back that we would hold her responsible for his neutering, vaccines and boarding for the 8 days he was in our care. It would have amounted to a few hundred dollars. I will never know for sure if it was her dog because she decided it wasn't after my describing him to her on the phone. I suspect she just couldn't be bothered claiming him.
My point in this story is that you may be held responsible financially responsible for Brew's care while he was with his new family. At $20.00 a day it could add up to a sizable fee. This of course is if they ever find out that you are looking for him.
I think at this point they (his new owners) should at the very least be made aware that you are looking for him. If they decide that they are not willing to return him then you will know where you stand and whether you want to pursue legal action. There is always the possibility that Brew is not the dog they had hoped he would be and would be willing to switch for another dog.

mrthomas
March 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM
This Is My Last Post Cuz This Is Just Going Noware.

If You Feel The Process Was Bad You Should Blame The Town You Live And Not The Pound People Who Just Follow Orders. You Should Take The Town To Court. I Dont See How It Will Get Brew Back But Maybe It Will Make You Feel Better.

If I Got A Dog Somewhere And Then Later They Told Me I Had To Give It Back That The People Who Lost It Started Looking For It Now I Would Be Mad. I Would Never Adopt A Dog Again Cuz You Would Never Know When Someone Might Come Along And Start Up.

Jmo But It Is Your Town And Not The Others Doing Their Jobs To Save Brew That Is To Blame. But Also Think It Is Not Fair To The People Who Found Him And The Pound People And All The People Who Are Being Badmouthed In The Posts Including The Pound Guy.

People Say "have A Hart" But Dont You Think The People Who Saved The Dog Did Have A Hart? They Saved Him Didnt They? How Can U Say It Is Hartless For Them To Want To Keep Him?

O Well. Good Luck Finding Him

onster
March 19th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Kelly, I just wanted to say that i was in no way, shape or form critisizing you. I really do hope you get brew back and Im sure he aches for his family.

I would go ahead and put all the posters up and put ads up too...even if the new fam doesnt see it, their friends/neighbours/vet may...who knows they may call and tell u who the ppl who adopted brew are so that u may talk to them. Try and put posters up at schools if u can as well, kids see everything.

onster
March 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
mrthomas, with all due respect, having a heart by adopting brew does not mean they can't also have a heart by returning him to his family. One does not have a certain 'heart quota' that can't be exceeded :2cents: Kind people, you would hope, would continue to be kind..

aslan
March 19th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Kelly I really do hope that you get your baby back soon.

MrThomas, I really hope that you never for one minute know the pain that kelly and her family are feeling at this moment. I am a huge supporter of shelters and the work they do, but I personally would return the pet to its rightful home. If I felt pain after a few weeks imagine what 6yrs feels like. Oh and I just have to say this because it's irritating me. The word is heart, not hart.

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
mrthomas

I am not asking anything from anyone that I myself am not willing to give...If I find a wallet without any ID in it do I keep the money?

I am not blaming the pound for having adopted him out....I'm angry because I've been lied to by them twice...they told my husband that he was in horrible condition when found which the old AC agent here in Carberry cleared up for me with a phone call to the pound and a woman working over there told me he was sent somewhere else which wasen't true....and when i went face to face with this man he basically scoffed me off without thought....i'm not even certain that he's ever actually called the new owners....I don't trust him one bit....

Wouldn't you be angry in this instance?

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM
on a tid bit of good news for a change I just found out i'm going to be a first time Grandmother!!!!!woohooooooooooo

onster
March 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
congrats kellly!!!! :cloud9:

Kelly27
March 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
hummmm something just dawned on me, do you suppose these people attached to the pound or shelter or such institutions take me story as a threat to what they do? I hope not. My getting brew back after having been adopted isen't a message that their work is wrong. I'm just saying not everything is black and white. I believe this is a grey area and deserves special consideration... that's all...just take all the pieces and weight it accordingly...

yes the mistake happened in Carberry but does that mean that the mistake is allowed to be perpetuated somewhere else....this problem should be judged from the beginning....It did not begin at the pound....and I believe due to the exsisting issue here in Carberry that any unbiased person would feel that circumstances created afterword would be null and void...

I would hope that I would be judged on how I lost my pet and If I was given the same chances as any other person in Canada to retrieve my pet fairly and without prejudice....the answer is "no"...

am i wrong in this view....take out the emotion for a second and think about it

pbpatti
March 19th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Kelly my heart goes out to you and your son for this difficult situation, I also admire the way you have handled yourself from the beginning of this thread.

I expect that the grace and patience you have shown here has also been exrended to the people that you have talked to personally. I am praying for an outcome that will satisfy all that are involved with this.

Please, whoever has Brew; Bring him home. Patti

PS. congrats on becoming soon, a new Grandma, good health to all

Jim Hall
March 19th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Jim I do not know why you are so accusing,all of us could lose an animal,even I lost my Chico,just for a couple of hours,but I nearly went in to hysterics over it,as was said we all make mistakes and in this case it was an 11yr old boy.
I am sure Kelly is greatful Brew was found and is alive,but the heartache of not having him home where he belongs,must be unbearable.

i am sorry i dont mean to sound so harsh I do hope you get your brew back Kelly but I hope more that all the kind people that saved your dog don't get hury or stop their wonderfull work
It just seems to me that sometimes I feel that you would do anything to get brew back regardless of the consequences.

I hope your boy is doing OK it must be so hard for him, I am sure they were buddies I know i was with my wonderfull shepard when I was his age .

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 07:50 AM
and Jim I believe anytime an animal goes missing in some way shape or form it will be the human's fault. Animals don't make mistakes they only act on instinct. It will always be a human that steals the pet, ignores the pet, puts the pet in a vehicle etc etc....it's just people that love their pets never cause intentional harm and learn from there mistakes...i'm not being afforded that opportunity

You were afforded that opportunity, when your dog went missing the first time, but you did not learn from that.

Brew has in the past wondered out of our yard when given the chance so we've made it necessary to watch from an open door and return the pooch as soon as he's done.

I stayed up and waited for the pooch for a long while because he always returned home. No Brew. I went out and looked for him. No Brew. I figured because of the cold a family had taken him in. It had happened in the past that a family would decide to take him in even going so far as to remove his collar and try and adopt him on sight. It took a week but we retrived him thanking the family for their concern for him. They only lived two blocks away. We happened across him when they attempted to walk him. Not their fault I hadn't updated his ID tags to reflect his new phone number.
Kelly

The pound only needed to keep your dog for 4 days (96 hours), check out the City's bylaws. I hope if it comes to legal action that you do not involve the pound or the new owners, they did not do anything wrong, only negligence was done by your family (allowing Brew to roam) and your town who did not provide you with correct info.

Copy of Brandon's bylaws, pg 14:

14. Subject to section 15:
(a) the owner of any dog or cat impounded may redeem said dog or cat from the pound within
seventy-two hours of impoundment by:
(1) satisfying the Pound Agent as to his ownership of the dog or cat; and
(2) providing proof of current vaccination against rabies and, if such proof is not provided,
said owner shall be required to pay the cost of rabies vaccination; and
(3) producing or buying a current City dog or cat license; and
(4) paying to the Pound Agent all applicable impound fees as set out in the City's annual
fee schedule.
[AM. B/L 6603]
(b) upon the expiration of seventy-two hours from the service of the notice under subsection 11(e), if
the dog or cat has not been redeemed by its owner, the Pound Agent shall be authorized to sell
the dog or cat for an amount sufficient to cover, where possible, all applicable impound fees as
set out in the City's annual fee schedule, and vaccination costs, but in no case shall a dog or cat
be released from the pound until a current City dog or cat license has been purchased for said
dog or cat.
[AM. B/L 6171/20/94; B/L 6603]
(b.1) Notwithstanding subsection (b), the Pound Agent shall not permit the sale or release of a
dangerous dog other than to its owner in accordance with subsection (a).
[EN. B/L 6171/20/94]
(c) upon the expiration of ninety-six hours, if the dog or cat has not been redeemed by its owner or
sold, the Animal Control Officer may direct the Pound Agent to have the animal destroyed by a
Veterinary Surgeon and the owner shall pay to the City the cost of such destruction.

CearaQC
March 20th, 2008, 09:13 AM
OK Kelly the only way Brew can go home is if you emotionally plead with the people that have him now and hope their humanity rises above their selfishness to act in your favor. But, you cannot and will not get their personal information from the shelter.

Everyone's hiding behind "laws" although clearly it was stated above that someone intentionally breaks the rules on a regular basis to keep animals longer than the stated 72 hours.

Kelly,this is the latest e-mail I received after correcting Brews breed to border-Collie:

Anita,

Shane keeps almost all of the dogs beyond the 72 hour time frame.

- Dana

A big mistake admitting that even if it's out of apparent kindness. It's claimed that the person named does this at his own expense, but what proof is offered of that repeated action? None.

What other rules have been broken besides the 72 hour one? If there's evidence if one law being broken, then it's highly likely other laws are broken as well. And since it was admitted to keep animals longer, who's to say that Brew wasn't also kept longer than 72 hours? OR what if Brew went home with one of the pound employees or one of their relatives? Then they'd be shouting laws for sure. Just like a person who farts in public is always quick to fake innocence especially if it stinks.

So... the only other option left to you Kelly is an emotional appeal somehow made public that perhaps the other people will see.

If it's a small town, soon other people will know that so-and-so has a dog that fits Brew's description and the gossip will begin. Once the gossip professionals have done their job, every time that family shows up in public, people will point and whisper. And going by human tendencies to police and shout rules at others, at some point if the social pressure is big enough, that family will willingly give up Brew just to be rid of the problem.

The only ways you can do that is to purchase advertising space in the paper, continue to put up posters, or even try purchasing radio ad time. Anything you can think of.

Considering the circumstances, there's no chance that anyone will cover the story for free now. You might have had that chance if you acted sooner before all the other stuff appeared on this forum. An internet forum is really not the place to take action in situations like yours. The action is too slow here for that and most forums out there are meant for discussion, not solving of problems. Too many people come here hoping that others will solve problems for them. It doesn't work that way because on the internet there are perhaps BILLIONS of websites to visit and it's not likely huge numbers would visit here daily and see your story. What's the total population of Canada.. and how many regulars are on here every day from Canada... and how many of those members are in your immediate area? The percentage of that happening is pretty darn low.

The whole story has become a he said/she said scenario now. You say one thing, and they keep coming back with bylaws this and ordinances that or thinly veiled anger (which is really fear based) about the possibility of other organizations "looking bad." And in my opinion, when people start talking like that, they have something to hide which raises a red flag warning. People that have nothing to hide are an open book.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Let's talk cars today shall we....question:

If a car is stolen or aquired in a manner subject to question and LEGALLY resold...

whose car is it?

Now i'm not saying Brew is a car or any inanimate object he's much more...a part of our family

It's not the fault of the people selling the car but when the legal owner returns they will be out $$...it seems so clear in my head and i'm trying to understand all avenues...this group has been helpful in many ways and i don't see anywhere in here that could possibly hurt my case...i'm not hiding anything and anything i've said here i'll willingly support in public...what you haven't remembered is that others within this town have probably lost pets the same way i have and not realized it....that's my concern...as far as his previous disappearance, i've already covered that sufficiently ...plse remember i've NEVER had a complaint of my pets running free...when my neighbours cat ran i was out there looking with her...and this town up to Jan did have AC...so if he had been a repeat offender i certainly would have been here much much sooner than this....

This is a very close knit community and if there's a problem we'll fix it but right now all i want is my pup

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 10:42 AM
OIC what you're saying about the intentionally breaking the rules on a regular basis....i'm sure that was meant as for the better....but ya that could have been worded better...

If this does go to court I'll face the same accusations and comments that I hear here so this forum does not intimidate me it only educates...

People who whisper don't know me, but if they ask i'll answer...I'm a big girl I can take it...lol

veracity
March 20th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Talk about pushing the envelope. First and foremost, Kelly is NOT FROM BRANDON. She is from Carberry and follows the laws as set out by Carberry animal control. Dogs from Carberry are held for 5 days and not 72 hours, and the pound handles these dogs in accordance with the laws set out by THE TOWN OF CARBERRY.

Just so you know how it works, the area animal impounds are contracted to boarding kennels or facilities equip to hold dogs. In some towns around here the vet clinics, boarding kennels, etc. have the contract for this. Carberry happens to be a very small town with no vet clinics or pet services – the closest location to offer these services is Brandon. Sorry Kelly – but if your nearest vet clinic is in Brandon, would it not stand to reason you tried even calling the closest area vet when your pet was missing (whom could have directed you to all the area impound and rescue facilities!)

Sorry lady, nice try with the “laws” comment, but if you read the comment closer – “at his own expense” is mentioned. The towns or cities pay for animals to be held for a required time frame, space permitting. The guy who operates the pound sometimes pays to buy the dogs a few more days and the truth is that any individual off the street could offer to FUND a dog for a few extra days at the pound. Legally an animal CAN be put down after that time frame, but there is no law saying that it MUST be. The animal can be rehomed at that point, but that is because after the elotted time frame, the animal becomes property of the city/town and can be legally adopted out or euthanized.

I am also from a surrounding community and it took me about 2 phone calls to find out where animals go in my area.

mona_b
March 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM
but I don't agree with legal action.

That's where we differ.This isn't a case of someone giving up their dog to a pound.This is a case of a lost dog.A dog that has been in this family for 6 years.He has been adopted out.And needs to be "reunited" with his family.Kelly is just supposed to give up on Brew?Say well he's in a home and that's all that counts?Ummmmm no...Legal action can be taken against the new adopters.Would I do that?Yes.Sorry but this is the real world.No need to sugar coat it.The new adopters don't want to give Brew up.Is that being compationate?Not in my eyes.

[UOTE=Love4himies;565342]You don't know me or what I have gone through in my life[/QUOTE]

Ditto.In my line of work you have no clue as to the horrors I have seen.Not only with humans,but with animals

Jim Hall
March 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM

If a car is stolen or aquired in a manner subject to question and LEGALLY resold...

whose car is it?

Now i'm not saying Brew is a car or any inanimate object he's much more...a part of our family

It's not the fault of the people selling the car but when the legal owner returns they will be out $$...it seems so clear in my head and i'm trying to understand all avenues...this group has been helpful in many ways and i don't see anywhere in here that could possibly hurt my case...i'm not hiding anything and anything i've said here i'll willingly support in public...what you haven't remembered is that others within this town have probably lost pets the same way i have and not realized it....that's my concern...as far as his previous disappearance, i've already covered that sufficiently ...plse remember i've NEVER had a complaint of my pets running free...when my neighbours cat ran i was out there looking with her...and this town up to Jan did have AC...so if he had been a repeat offender i certainly would have been here much much sooner than this....

This is a very close knit community and if there's a problem we'll fix it but right now all i want is my pup

so let the court decide then

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
That's where we differ.This isn't a case of someone giving up their dog to a pound.This is a case of a lost dog.A dog that has been in this family for 6 years.He has been adopted out.And needs to be "reunited" with his family.Kelly is just supposed to give up on Brew?Say well he's in a home and that's all that counts?Ummmmm no...Legal action can be taken against the new adopters.Would I do that?Yes.Sorry but this is the real world.No need to sugar coat it.The new adopters don't want to give Brew up.Is that being compationate?Not in my eyes.

[UOTE=Love4himies;565342]You don't know me or what I have gone through in my life

Ditto.In my line of work you have no clue as to the horrors I have seen.Not only with humans,but with animals[/QUOTE]

I don't want to argue with you Mona b, and I think we can agree to disagree.

I have empathy for all involved, I guess, not just Kelly. If somebody adopted in good faith from a pound/rescue/shelter, they don't deserve to be sued. These people didn't steal the dog, they adopted it legally. The pound did not know at the time the owners were looking for Brew, so they did what the bylaws instructed them to do, so I don't think they deserve to be sued either.

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Dogs from Carberry are held for 5 days and not 72 hours, and the pound handles these dogs in accordance with the laws set out by THE TOWN OF CARBERRY.

Just out of curiousity, does this town have a bylaw stating dogs must be leashed/contained or are dogs allowed to roam?

Jim Hall
March 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM
i really dont see how youcould sue the new owner no fraud was commited on thier part no tort actions seem to in force I still cant fogure out why a registerd dog coulnt be traced

veracity
March 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Just out of curiousity, does this town have a bylaw stating dogs must be leashed/contained or are dogs allowed to roam?

Yes - all communities in our area have this bylaw. I only know this because I live in a near by Rural Municipality and even the RM's have this law.

mona_b
March 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
When you take legal action,it doesn't mean it has to go to the courts.Lawyers can talk it out and see if they can do it without court.Then they take it from there.I know how the court system works.I have been to many court cases.Part of the job.

Yes the adoption was done legally,BUT kelly is the original owner of a lost dog.And she has every right to fight to get Brew back.

People really need to stop pushing the blame.Kelly knows already the mistake that was made.STOP rubbing it in her face already.

Like I have said,put yourself in her shoes.I'm sure the tone would change.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
just so everyone knows i did call my vet ...and if there was in fact a contract with the Brandon Kennel for strays that it would be common knowledge? Why the spy treatment?...there is/was no record at town hall here that a dog had been transported to Brandon...

mona_b
March 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
i really dont see how youcould sue the new owner no fraud was commited on thier part no tort actions seem to in force I still cant fogure out why a registerd dog coulnt be traced

This doesn't have anything to do with fraud.

The AKC doesn't tattoo or chip dogs...Which to me is pretty dumb.Another reason I like the CKC....:D

Jim Hall
March 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
ok so sue brandon what will that accomplish esp in light of you wanting to work for them

mona_b
March 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM
ok so sue brandon what will that accomplish esp in light of you wanting to work for them

Ummmmm who wants to work for them?..Kelly?

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM

I think she wanted to contract out to be the AC for the Town of Carberry, Jim. City of Brandon is where the pound is located which Brew was taken to.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
and if it took two phone calls to find my dog good for you because you said it yourself you are already aquainted with this area...don't forget i'm not and the info hasen't been jumping out at me either...Brew was not in this town for 5 days prior to being sent away...there are no facilities here....he was kept here for a day or two while a gentleman asked around...apparently the people he spoke to and the people I spoke to were different people...the bottom line is Carberry will address this and make adjustments necessary...this is a wonderful town to live in and I've already made suggestions to avoiding this and it's all in the communication area...not that we need a shelter but that residents need to be made aware of the process set in place...nowhere in this town is there a bullatin board dedicated to lost/or picked up pets....the paper doesn't post the bylawys in the town regarding pets and the name of the AC agent and contact number is not published...I called town hall pretending to have found a lost dog and the responce I got was "I don't know what to tell you" as far as what to do with it...so I have to make the assumptions that currently without an AC agent that the town deals with their own...this is a small community and I would assume that finding a pets owner "if they want to" shoulding be too trying although could take some time...there are no mandatory registrations here but the town does offer FREE tags to those that ask...unfortunately i didn't know to ask...

the things you find out during this type of dilemma is unbelievable....now i've been told that it was my responsibility to ask....well when i did move here my husband did report to town hall and got the schpiel on garbage collection and recycle dos and don'ts...why didn't they then include AC info?...I'm in the customer service business and if i left everything unsaid that wasen't ask I wouldn't have much to do in the day...I'm the one with the knowledge therefore i inform....

now put the hairs down from the back of your neck and hear me one more time....I don't blame the pound or the City of Brandon for any of my woes....that includes the new family....I didn't like my treatment at the pound and I don't agree that the new family could be so heartless knowing the facts that they still would not return Brew...I don't even know if they know all the facts so i reserve my judgment....

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM

whose car is it?

But Brew wasn't stolen or in a manner subject to legal question was he? Wasn't he picked up by your town's AC because he was roaming?

If your car was towed by the city because it was illegally parked and you don't claim it, can the city sell it? :shrug: not sure on this law.

veracity
March 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
just so everyone knows i did call my vet ...and if there was in fact a contract with the Brandon Kennel for strays that it would be common knowledge?

Actually it is common knowledge. I am seriously curious who you talked to. ALL of the area vet clinics know this. Where do you think pound animals go to be euthanized? This is common knowledge between the clinics and ALL the clinics in the area know each other. The nearest clinic to your area would be in Brandon, would it not? Also as a rule us rural people go to the nearest large center for these kinds of things.

I hate to say this, but you realize if a car was impounded and you do not pay the impound fee and collect your car within the elotted number of days, the vehicle would become property of the impound and be resold?

One final note about this topic. You can not sue owners for legally adopting an animal from a pound. I'll tell you why I believe that. Animals fall under the property section of the criminal code in Canada and therefore are treated by the law the same way property is. I am not saying this is right, I am just saying this is reality.

I don't know what you expect people to do. Hold your pet infinately until you figure out where to look? You seem to feel that since your pet was not put to sleep at the pound the most fair action is for the ones who prevented that to return the dog to you. No one deserves anything except you.

At the end of the day if you feel animals should be held longer for owners to reclaim them consider that around 800-1000 animals go through the pound each year, and tax payers foot the cost for the 3-7 days they are held. Assume it's $10 per day to do this - that's a minimum of $30000 for each animal to get three days. If each was held 7 days that would be $70000.

I am ALL FOR extending the amount of time animals stay waiting for owners at the pound. I think it's worth the money. Why don't you take THAT to the media and argue this thing at the source.

That's all from me.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
good one himmies....no he wasen't stolen but the manner in which he came to be where he is has been weighted to one side...in other words the advantage was in the town's court...by law there is a timeframe alotted for owners to reclaim their pets and although the timeframe was upheld or even exceded how was I to find him if the town didn't have record of ever having sent him...even a month after the fact...so even if they give 3 or 5 days....It wouldn't have helped me in this case....nothing is black and white...

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM
maybe it's common knowledge where you are but it's not here....I even asked Golden Acres who is the pound for the County of Corwallis who was the pound for Carberry....and they didn't know....these are the people that share a website with Brandon Kennels....answer me that

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I hate to say this, but you realize if a car was impounded and you do not pay the impound fee and collect your car within the elotted number of days, the vehicle would become property of the impound and be resold?

HA HA HA I WASNT GOING TO COME BACK BUT THIS FORM HAS GOTTEN TOO FUNNY. CARS NOW?

YOU KNOW I DON'T THINK ANYWHERE (AND SOMEONE ELSE CAN POST A CORRECTION IF I AM WRONG) SENDS OUT LOST PET INFORMATION AND WHERE TO FIND YOUR DOG. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW YOU HAVE TO LOOK FOR IT. I KNOW THE COPS AND RCMP DO KNOW THE ANSWER.

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO SUE OR PUT SOMETHING IN THE PAPER. I DO NOT THINK YOU HAVE MUCH TO GO ON BUT WANT TO KNOW WHEN TO CHECK THE FORM AND SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED.

veracity
March 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
maybe it's common knowledge where you are but it's not here....I even asked Golden Acres who is the pound for the County of Corwallis who was the pound for Carberry....and they didn't know....these are the people that share a website with Brandon Kennels....answer me that

Why would two competing businesses share a website? I think you are confused.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
why would someone assume their pound is in Brandon?....the world does not revolve around Brandon!...there's a lot of towns between Carberry and Brandon and even more if you go the same distance around, why would I being a new resident assume my pound is in Brandon just because my vet is there...my hospital is here in Carberry, my firedept is here in Carberry, we're small but very self sufficient...

Winston
March 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM
You know what this is getting out of hand now! We are here to support Kelly and Brew. In addition this forum is too discuss issues with one another in a civil manner....For those of you that dont have any value to add here please dont post! I am sick and tired of the bickering going on between who should have done what!! Perhaps the comment should be this:

We agree to disagree!!

Kelly dont feel like you have to keep dignifying those that only come here bash you and your family with any comments!

Kelly also know that there are MANY members here that understand your situation! and I am sure we are ALL taking what they have to say with a grain of salt!

I look forward to the day when this can be settled for you, Brew and also the family that has Brew because they will be feeling a loss as well!

MR THOMAS I WILL TALK TO YOU IN CAPS SO YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND!!! IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE TO ADD HERE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

Verocity, do you have anything of value to add here? Other than trying to start agruments over information we have discussed meny times in the past? No! didnt think so!

Kelly, sorry I just had to say these things! You are taking alot of crap here and it really isnt fair! Stay Strong!

Cindy

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
here is the website with both pounds listed....and no it's not from the city of brandon website....it's the only site i've found and even Golden Acres didn't know who the pound was for Carberry, if you don't believe me call them

I am not Kreskin I do not just know stuff without someone informing me...and yes cities and townships do have a responsibility to publish their business for use by their public...

I have to answer these questions and pass my test because one of these people could be the new keepers of Brew or someone that has knowledge of his whereabouts...I have nothing to hide

veracity
March 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
here is the website with both pounds listed....and no it's not from the city of brandon website....it's the only site i've found and even Golden Acres didn't know who the pound was for Carberry, if you don't believe me call them

Okay you do realize (if you read) that this is a website for a rescue called Funds for Furry Friends. It's not the pound's website. Did you even call this group?

Also, Brandon is the nearest large city to Carberry. But then, it seems illogical to call a vet clinic in Brandon and ask where a person could call about a lost dog right?

What I find the most sad thing of it all: Kelly admits the dog has gotten away before and says she travels a lot. Yet this dog carries on him no proper identification? I agree with Jim - bottom line is there was a prevention option here. Kelly said she was living in Carberry for a YEAR and I think someone could think of checking into things within that year, especially if their dog has gotten away on more than one previous occassion - as per her previous posting.

I didn't read anything about this website being a support Kelly forum. She is directing lots of people to this website, including the SPCA for whom I am a supporter. You post things publically, you have to expect feedback of all kinds. Just because people disagree doesn't mean their opinions have no value.

Don't worry Cindy. I am sick of reading these posts so you can all go back to coddling poor Kelly and reassuring her that it's okay to blame people because her dog didn't die in the freezing cold she spoke of, or get hit by a car. Oh, and thank goodness he did not get put to sleep by the pound. So now that we know he is alive and well somewhere, lets find someone to blame and attack.

Don't bother replying to this post, I will not be returning to this forum.

danaekitty
March 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Oh my. :shrug:

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
oh please before you go why don't you hit all the lost and found posts on this site and curse them out too

as for sueing anyone...that is a last resort...while this subject is being discussed rest assured I'm working in other ways to set this straight....

I believe if it were you in my shoes you'd appreciate the support i've recieved here as do all others who've lost a close member of their family....the site is called lost and found...not www.letsbeabully.ca

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 01:55 PM
not a huge loss i'm guessing....Jim I in no way hold you at the same level your input has been more interesting and informing and less childish....

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
MR THOMAS I WILL TALK TO YOU IN CAPS SO YOU FULLY UNDERSTAND!!! IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE TO ADD HERE KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!

HEY CINDY I THINK I HAVE MADE GOOD POINTS AND ASKED GOOD QUESTIONS. SOMEONE TOLD ME TO CHECK OUT THE WAY THE BRANDON SPCA WAS BASHED AND THIS IS WHY I SIGNED ON. TELL ME EXACTLY HOW ANYTHING YOU HAVE SAID HAS OFFERED ANY SOLUTONS OR HELP. KELLY IS DIRECTING PEOPLE IN THE AREA HERE SHE IS GOING TO HAVE TO HEAR WHAT THEY THINK. DONT LIKE ME? DONT CARE.

MY LAST POST I ASKED IF ANYONE LIVES SOMEWHERE THAT INFO ON WHERE TO FIND A LOST DOG IS DELIVRED TO THERE DOOR. I THINK THIS IS A GOOD QUESTION.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
mrthomas why does this discussion offend you so much...i've already explained ehaustingly what happen...I haven't pointed the finger of blame and I haven't been rude...I'm trying to right a wrong both within my town and with regards to the ownership of my pup...in the end if a judge has to decide so be it but why are you so defensive? Do you hold a vested interest in this case somehow?

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 02:04 PM
It was the townships responsibility to provide me as a new resident info with regards to their bylaws or where to find them...they saw it necessary to give me garbage pick up days and recycle days so why was it not equally as necessary to provide to me the AC regulations and contacts? Why is this so hard for you to grasp? I did take it upon myself to find out what happened but because it was so conveluded it took a while.

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
mrthomas why does this discussion offend you so much... Do you hold a vested interest in this case somehow?

I HATE REPETEING MYSELF. I AM A SUPPORTER OF THE SPCA. I WAS TOLD TO COME HERE OR I WOULDNT HAVE BY SOMEONE ELSE WHO WORKS THERE. I ALSO ADOPTED FROM FURRY FRIENDS RESCUE. I AM JUST SAYING THIS IS WHY I CAME TO THIS POST RESPONDING TO CINDY.

MY VESTED INTEREST AS YOU CALL IT WOULD BE THAT INITIALLY. NOW READING COMMENTS I FEEL THE NEED TO SPEAK UP BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT BEING FAIR. YOU ARE PRESENTING A ONESIDED ARGUMENT HERE AND I HAVE TO WRITE IN BIG LETTERS SO SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT OTHER THINGS.

INFORMATION ON WHERE PETS GO IS NOT AVALABLE EVERYWHERE. PEOPLE HAVE TO LOOK HARD FOR ANSWERS. POSTS SAY RCMP, POLICE, VET CLINICS, AREA POUNDS, POSTERS, NEWSPAPERS, AND SO ON. THE DAY A PET GOES MISSING YOU SHOULD TRY EVERYTHING. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE DOING STUFF AFTER THE FACT.

DID THE POUND GIVE YOUR DOG AWAY IN 5 DAYS? IF NOT, EVEN IF YOU WERE ILL COULD YOU NOT PICK UP A PHONE?

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
yes verocity I do know that that is the furry friends website but it's the only website that I can find that gives any reference to pounds! If you have another please by all means provide it. I also know that nothing can appear on a website advertising without permission so the pounds knew they were there...

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
perfect! That's why I'm also here I need to see the other side also but i'm not offending anyone by doing it...I have no problem listening to your side...I'm not blaming anyone in Brandon so i'm not too sure why your so offended....yes if Brew is returned to me there will be hurt feelings but in the end there will always be hurt feeling somewhere when it comes to a loved pet. I did everything I knew I could at the time when Brew disappeared and the only logical explanation was that a family here in Carberry had him and that's where I concentrated all my efforts until it was relayed to me by another resident that pets sometimes ended up in Brandon....it was then that I called (with a phone) and thus began my discussion...

I know you feel you want to nail me to the cross for my son's woops but it won't happen and you can try and try again because you won't get anywhere with it....I'm a good pet owner and will continue to be....Brew is not my only dog and wait let me check....yup .... Bino's still here....this was an accident...and Brew would be here today if i'd known where to call or go initially....it's not as cut and dry as you want it to be...

the old AC agent agrees things need to change and the Mayor agrees things need to change so you're word here seeing how you don't live here doesn't mean a whole lot...especially if your trying to critisize something you're not capable of understanding or willing to understand is probably more accurate...

please if you want to donate your information or knowledge if it'll help good or bad you can but do it in a manner that is less offensive....I've noticed that you and verocity get really out of hand when on together, I know you know each other but all your doing so far is embarrassing the establishments you represent with how you're carrying yourself...I'd say verocity more than yourself...I know you have a heart because your involved in such a worthy cause...I've never condemned you for your actions and I would appreciate the same consideration...

Winston
March 20th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I AM JUST SAYING THIS IS WHY I CAME TO THIS POST RESPONDING TO CINDY.

This statement is not true! Your first post here was to Growler!

Let me make one thing very clear to you Mr Thomas...I am a BIG Supporter of the SPCA...beleive me! I am involved in rescues. I have contributed very big to my community and others to help animals in need! So unless you have facts to prove otherwise dont tell me your worried about the SPCA?? They are bashed all the time...how many people do you know of that think ALL SPCA's are KILL SHELTERS! hah! many! I dont get mad at that anymore..I just politely let people know they are not al the same! ITS CALLED EDUCATION!!

I never intended to dignify you with an answer but you didnt come to this site to help Kelly bring Brew home, or even to offer some kind words or simple advise...No you came to lay blame to why Brew was loose! We have covered it a million times! Please enough already!
:yell::yell:

Cindy

luckypenny
March 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
After all is said and done, legalities aside, is anyone wondering where Brew would be happiest?

We're talking 6 years here with a family who obviously loves him dearly. I'm sure he misses them much more so as dogs are the most loyal creatures. Yes, he's wandered previously and has always returned (fortunately uninjured). However, this time he didn't. I can't imagine Kelly and her family not taking every precaution to prevent this from ever happening again. There is a child involved here folks, one who is traumatized and will continue to be for a long time to come by this unfortunate experience. Can you imagine the overwhelming responsibility this young boy feels? The sadness and heartbreak of losing a cherished family member? Regardless of where the responsibility ultimately lays, what human with a heart would not consider returning Brew to his boy?

I can sympathize with his new family who I'm positive loves and wants to protect him as well. And my utmost gratitude for possibly saving this dog's life. But how can you not feel the suffering of Kelly's family? Because of errors made by all concerned, why should their child suffer so? To the family who has undertaken his care presently, why not meet and personally speak to Kelly and her family? If Brew is legally yours, you have nothing to lose by hearing their story in person. Judge for yourself if you feel they deserve another chance. If you find it in your hearts that they are where Brew should be, then demand that he wear a collar and tags at all times, or be microchipped. And demand that secure fencing be placed in all areas necessary to ensure his safety. Make out a legally binding contract if you will and if it eases your worries. But please, at least consider what this family is feeling, and consider what is in Brew's best interests.

To the pound and/or shelter responsible for taking Brew in when he was lost, I can't imagine anyone diminishing the work you do in saving the animals' lives that come into your care. Thank you for saving Brew.

Finally, to everyone concerned, please put blame and pride on shelf and out of the way. It doesn't matter now who said what, who did or didn't do things right. The fact is that Brew is alive and well and there's a family who desperately wants to be reunited with their loved one as I'm sure Brew would want nothing more if given a chance. Please, consider doing what's morally right. You will all figure out what that is if you just stop talking and start feeling.

Praying for you Brew, that this situation is resolved quickly and that 'man' can practice some humility and do what's in your best interest.

brandongirl22
March 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM
hello everyone i am new to this and signed up to post on this thread. i am a brandonite who heard about this website from a friend who volunteers at the humane society. i just wanted to post a comment because lots of people are viewing this thing now. the story is very said when you start reading it and see a little boy let a dog out and got preoccupied. then as you read on you begin to realize that the dog’s owner who has had past experiences with her dog getting out of the yard did not have proper id on him. it sounds like he was a loved pet, but it is unclear as to how much time passed between the day he ran away and the day the search began beyond door knocking. that is not clear. i just wanted to post my opinion. i adopted my dog from the humane society a few years ago and she was picked up by animal control running loose. they did not find her owners but if they came to be after i adopted her and asked for her back i would say no. she is my dog and i love her and i would never give her up not ever. i know she is happy with me. if the pound gave brew away after only three or five days that is totally unfair. you are not clear as to this point. if the pound had him for longer than a week than i agree with the statement, how long should they just wait and hope you come? well this is just my thoughts i am at school and have to get to my next class. i really hope you can write the wrongs of the town people for misinforming you and find a way that maybe all people can no where to go from all the areas around here.

shirley1011
March 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
LuckyPenny you have put things into perspective. Kelly did not come here to get bashed..she has admitted her family made a grave error that has cost them dearly and came here for support.

I also have some issues with some of the SPCA's but all in all they do wonderful work and we would be hopelessly lost without their dedicated work.

I am grateful that Brew was found and is alive, for this I know Kelly must feel some comfort but I truly understand the anguish she went thru trying to gain this knowledge. It is a feeling of utter hopelessness and sadness. I don't think anyone can begin to understand how the guilt of loosing our beloved pets can wrench your soul.

A couple of errors were made and now if possible, yes it would be nice to know that folks who adopted Brew are given the opportunity to know all the facts.

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Excellent post, Luckypenny :thumbs up ...I hope everyone concerned takes the time to read it at least once. :)

meg4050
March 20th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I agree, that was a great post LP!

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 03:17 PM
After all is said and done, legalities aside, is anyone wondering where Brew would be happiest?

HOW DO WE KNOW HE IS NOT HAPPY? I DONT THINK IT IS AN UNFAIR ASSUMPTION TO ASSUME HE WOULD LIKE TO GO WHERE HE WAS FOR SIX YEARS BUT I ALSO WONDER HOW ONE CAN ASSUME THAT HE IS NOT HAPPY WITH THE PEOPLE WHO CARED ENOUGH FOR HIM TO SAVE HIM.

I AM NOT SAYING KEELY IS UNDESERVING OR ANYTHING BUT A LOT OF JUGMENT IS BEING PASSED ON PEOPLE WHO HELPED THIS DOG AND LOTS OF STUFF CALLS THEM HARTLESS. MAYBE THEY JUST LOVE HIM AND DO NOT WANT TO LET HIM GO NOW THAT THEY HAVE SAVED HIM FROM DEATH. THEY MIGHT HAVE KIDS TOO.

OR MAYBE THEY ARE JERKS WHO KNOWS. I JUST THINK PEOPLE HERE SHOULD THINK THAT THEY COULD BE NICE KIND PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST HAPPY WITH BREW.

meg4050
March 20th, 2008, 03:21 PM
mrthomas, No one said that Brew is not happy with his new family. What Luckypenny pointed out is where would Brew be HAPPIEST and I think all of us dog owners would agree, as LP said that dogs are very loyal to their owners and 6 years is a long time for a dog.

His new owners may be wonderful but whether or not Brew is happy there, I wouldn't doubt that he misses his family, especially Kelly's son. The bonds between dogs and children are incredible.

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=meg4050;566248]mrthomas, No one said that Brew is not happy with his new family. [QUOTE]

THANK YOU FOR ACKNOWLEDGING THAT

aslan
March 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
MrThomas= was just wondering if you are aware that typing in all capitals is considered yelling in net speak. If you are aware of this why are you yelling. No one has raised their voice at you or been disrespectful to you. Yet you insist on typing in capitals which is rude and inconsiderate. Just because people aren't bowing down and saying oh your right doesn't give you the right to bully anyone here.

Kelly= just out of interest, are we even positive that the dog the pound is talking about is your brew?

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
It Would Be Nice If Brew Did Get Back To His Family And All. I Just Hate Reading This Onesided Argument And I Think That There Are More People Involved. I Think Its Unfortunate All This Has Happened To Kelly. I Also Think That Its Hard For People To Think That There Is More Than Just Her Family. How Is It Anyones Fault They Adopted A Pet In Need And Now Someone Wants To Take It Away. I Adopted A Pet And I Would Be Destoyed If After I Had To Give It Away. Then How Would The Rest Of People Feel About Adopting If They Worried It Could Happen To Them. Hopefully Stuff Like This Doesnt Happen A Lot But I Think Carberry Town Screwed Up This One For Everyone.

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
MrThomas= was just wondering if you are aware that typing in all capitals is considered yelling in net speak. If you are aware of this why are you yelling. No one has raised their voice at you or been disrespectful to you. Yet you insist on typing in capitals which is rude and inconsiderate. Just because people aren't bowing down and saying oh your right doesn't give you the right to bully anyone here.

Kelly= just out of interest, are we even positive that the dog the pound is talking about is your brew?

oh i didnt know it was yelling. sorry. thats a good question to.

luckypenny
March 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Oh mrthomas, I never meant to imply that Brew is not happy with the people who are so kind to have taken him into their home. They must be the most wonderful, kind people to have considered giving an animal at a pound a place in their hearts and in their home. My utmost respect to them and all the rescue workers involved.

And you're absolutely right mrthomas, too much judgement is being passed, on both sides. But this is not about choosing sides, is it? I would hope not. This is about putting anger and blame aside, and looking at the situation for what it really is. A family who misses their dog terribly, a dog who would benefit to be returned to his family of longstanding.

I just pray that everyone stands back for a moment, and just takes a moment to feel, then step forward once again, hopefully to join others in a peaceful and mutually respectful manner. I know this can conclude in such a way that there are no losers. This should not be a time of accusations and anger but one of celebration. I know in my heart, nothing would bring me more joy and satisfaction in knowing I could play a crucial role in reuniting a loved one with his family and in joining in that celebration.

shirley1011
March 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yes Mrthomas, Carberry certainly did screw up and they are the only ones that Kelly has really blamed besides their own error.
I too adopted Sable and now Jack but I think that if someone came along with all the details of what really happened I would take it all into consideration and do what I felt would be best for the dog. I know with Jack our new dog, the owners who had to surrender Jack are very much a part of his life, we email them pictures, they visit and will take him for us if we need to be away. I am happy that Jack can still have them in his life.

danaekitty
March 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Well put, LP.

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
It was the townships responsibility to provide me as a new resident info with regards to their bylaws or where to find them...they saw it necessary to give me garbage pick up days and recycle days so why was it not equally as necessary to provide to me the AC regulations and contacts? Why is this so hard for you to grasp? I did take it upon myself to find out what happened but because it was so conveluded it took a while.

Kelly, I am also a military wife and brat, I have moved on average every four years of my life, I am now 46 years old and I have never once been contacted by any city or municipality to let me know where I can find their bylaws (not even for garbage pickup), it has always been my responsibility to find out what they were.

I know the military coddles their employees and does everything for them, but it is not like that in the real world. Are you not instructed to read the routine orders when you get posted to a new base to become familiar with the base, should the same not be for you to find out what the bylaws (especially the ones that may pertain to you and your family) are when you move to a new municipality?

What I would really like to know is what you are hoping to get from this forum? Your dog is not lost, it has a home so we can't help you look for your dog:shrug:. We are not lawyers so we can't give legal advice.

Ford Girl
March 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Not all no-kill shelters accept all animals inthe first place, no kill doesn't mean they accpet all animals. They refuse to intake some animals that are not adoptable, therefore they don't have to kill them. There are waiting lists for no kill shelters, and they work very closely with fosters and breed specific rescues to ensure all animals brought in to the no kill facility are in fact adoptable.

I Dont Know How Harsh This Is. No One Is Thinking About The People Who Saved The Dogs Life. If He Was Not Adopted He Would Be Dead. Now It Seems That Because Someone Saved The Dogs Life They Are Being Asked To Give The Dog Up. Is No One Else Seeing That The Attack Here Is On The New Home When The Dog Would Otherwise Be Dead?

Everyone Makes Mistakes But What Mistake Did The Rescuers Make?

I agree, the new family did nothing wrong with adopting this dog, I dont think anyone is blaming the new family for saving Brew's life - I didn't read that anywhere, that doesn't evenmake sense? However, that doesn't mean they should ignore the plea from Kelly's family, it would be simple for them to say..."Kelly, we've had Brew for 2 weeks now, my kids are very attached them them, we have him enroled in classes, (etc...) he's very happy with us, we will be keeping him"...at least aknowledge it, they don't HAVE to, but its appropriate. It would lay things to rest, Kelly would know why the new family loves him so much.

I would be heart broken and would do anything to get my dog back, simple as that, but thats just me, I would try anything and everything in my power...but if I recieved a response form his new home reassuring me he's happy and safe, maybe see with my own eyes him with his new kids...it would be easier to let things rest...

Again, the new family didn't do anything wrong, they are not legally bound to be sympathetic but they must know how Kelly and family is feeling?

If put in a place to choose, I'd bet the dog would go back to his pack...

Good post LP! Save your breath Cindy, not worth your typing time. :)

Someone asked about tatooing? They don't usually use tats without a chip these days, (shelters and vets anyways, not sure about breeders) tats are only trackable by binder, there isn't an information system that collects ever vets tat numbers...you can have duplicate numbers in different towns, and when someone calls the vet to track a number, they have to sort thru a binder, they are usless unless they are accompanied by tags or a chip. And yes, chips move around the body all the time...especially in large active dogs. :)

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Well said, Fordgirl.

We can't be sure that the dog will be better off with Kelly :shrug: not sure, we don't know the new owners. Maybe the new family will ensure the dog is safe and not allowed to roam free, free to get hit by a car, to freeze to death, to get chased by coyotes, etc., etc. History speaks for itself, and this is not the first time this dog has roamed and went missing and she still did not prevent it from happening again.

I do agree that this poor boy must be hurting so bad, my heart goes out to him, some life lessons are extremely hard:sad:. I also think that Brew would be happier with his pack, but is he really better off? It is our responsibility to ensure our pets are kept safe.

I also agree that the new owners should be contacted by AC and allow the new owners to make the decision to meet with Kelly. I don't agree with legal action, that is not fair to the pound (unless they did something illegal) or to the new owners.

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Does kelly want to just know he is okay? i got the impression she wants to take him back and no wonder the new people woundt contact her if he/she thinks they could be sued or loose the dog. Also kelly did you call all the area rescues? the people at the spca and furry friends can be really helpful. what do you want out of this. the dog back? know hes okay? contact with brews family? updates through the pound guy? maybe he could get you them?

chico2
March 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
OMG,I don't really know how this got so out of hand,to me there is only one issue and that is that Brew comes back home.
No badmouthing anyone,it's a dilemma,one that needs to be cleared up and hopefully with a happy ending for Brew and his family.

I do not believe Kelly came here thinking we could help getting her dog back,more likely she came here for moral support and advice,she certainly has my support 100%.
Please no more bickering,or this thread might end up closing,be civil please!!

MrThomas,to me it's clear Kelly wants her dog back,who would not?
I know were Brew my dog,no way would I ever give up getting him back..

shirley1011
March 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Chico..well said..it breaks my heart to see all this bickering when all Kelly wanted was a little moral support.

I for one would not give up if this was my dog..why would you..

I have received more support and concern from this site over the past year and thanks can not express my gratitude. We all love our pets or we wouldn't be here.

But hey Kelly...you have almost as may replies as me and it has taken me over a year. lol

Good luck Kelly and may this situation be resolved graciously.

mrthomas
March 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM
give a guy a break. kelly is telling people to come here. people from the spca are posting that. keep in mind our spca is well thought of here and while i know this has been cleared up now it has attracted people to this thing.

keep in mind this dog is not lost unless kelly is unsure if the dog at the pound is hers. if she is sure, her dog is in a home not lost.

Ford Girl
March 20th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Does kelly want to just know he is okay? i got the impression she wants to take him back and no wonder the new people woundt contact her if he/she thinks they could be sued or loose the dog. Also kelly did you call all the area rescues? the people at the spca and furry friends can be really helpful. what do you want out of this. the dog back? know hes okay? contact with brews family? updates through the pound guy? maybe he could get you them?

I agree, I would want my dog back, BUT if the family refuses - in their right, give a little more then saying to the shelter..NO...thats all, there are hurt emotions on both sides, fear, anxiousness...my post wasn't to say the dog should or will be returned, or shouldn't be returned, I just feel if his new family has it in their hearts to adopt a rescue dog, then it should come easily to be empathetic to his old owners, and respond with more then a NO. :shrug: Knowing he is ok and not getting him back is better then not knowing anything.

I would be afraid is I was the new family, for sure, afraid my new dog would be taken, but communication would help both sides, even if it was thru the shelter or a lawyer. If it was me, I would send a family picture to Kelly and simply say...This is why I can not return this dog to you, he is part of our family now, it would hurt Kelly and her family like hell to see that picture - but to me, that would be the piece that was missing, and if the law backed it, you'd have to accept it. Closure almost.

There are two sides to this for sure, on one side of it I wouldn't give up until I had exhausted all options, on the other, I would give closure to the family who lost him. Everyone hurting so be humane about it and communicate.

Kelly27
March 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hello everyone....

No I've never had definative information on whether the dog in question is Brew or not....this is part of the problem and people's inability to help me....I believe because it was a border collie out of Carberry everyone's running with the assumption that it is Brew....no one's willing to go any farther to confirm that for me....lord knows I cannot contact the new family myself so there's nothing i can do about that at the moment....

I spoke to Jim earlier about the ethical question of leaving the other family hurting over losing Brew should I get him back and yes I'm well aware of that...I'm taking it one step at a time...

I have sent this website out....this so far is my only avenue of getting my story to the new owners should they visit....if I could speak with them this would not be necessary although I still probably would have come here for support....that's irreplaceable....until now I didn't even know about pets.ca...it's an amazing sight and not just the lost and found.....

and yes when I go to a new base I become familiar with the rules and regulations....but I know where to find them now don't I....remember when i moved here I did go to town hall for "the scoop"....which i do at every new location...

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Kelly,

I've been skimming through this thread and just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for what happened. Accidents happen with pets, just like with children. Dogs are a part of a family, and the family should get a chance to appeal the decision.

If I were in the position of the adoptee family, I would at least agree to speak to you. If you seemed nice and loving, and especially if I could see your son was remorseful, I would sadly say goodbye and know that he is happiest in his REAL home. If I saw evidence of this campaign - the posters, the website, all of that around town I would know you were being serious - nobody who didn't really care about a dog would go to that much trouble and be that persistent.

My heart goes out to your son, as he must feel very guilty. I remember letting my dog out when I was a kid and he took off for the night - I was sick with grief and guilt. But that HAPPENS. Accidents HAPPEN. It's not negligence, it's not cruelty or abuse, it's just a misunderstanding!

Good luck to you.

chico2
March 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
The not knowing,the lack of communication is exactly what would drive me crazy.:yell:
A meeting with the adopters and the dog in question is essential.
I am hoping this is Brew,for his sake,but since Dana said Border Collies are plentiful in the area,it is possible it's not him.
If Shane(from the pound)somehow confirmed it's Brew,then Kelly knows.
I am pleased this sad incident is getting a lot of attention,not to give any shelter a bad name,but to correct a mistake
Honestly,if I had adopted a dog,my love for him would make me give him back to the people he loves the most,the home he grew up in,unless I found there was abuse and neglect,obviously this is not the case with Brew.

adowd
March 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Kelly-Ann, my name is Allison Dowd and I am a reporter with the Brandon Sun.
I'd like to speak with you sometime this Easter Weekend regarding the situation your family now finds itself in RE: your family dog, if you have some time.
I cannot locate your phone number in any listings, could you please get in touch with me as soon as you get the chance?
You can either email me at adowd@brandonsun.com or phone my work line at 571-7434.
Warm Regards,
Allison Dowd

LavenderRott
March 21st, 2008, 07:28 PM
I know the military coddles their employees and does everything for them, but it is not like that in the real world. Are you not instructed to read the routine orders when you get posted to a new base to become familiar with the base, should the same not be for you to find out what the bylaws (especially the ones that may pertain to you and your family) are when you move to a new municipality?

I most certainly hope that you are seriously kidding!

As an Air Force Veteran and the Military wife of an Infantryman currently on his way to Iraq for the second time - I can tell you that the military most certainly does NOT coddle their troops and failure to take care of your family - ON YOUR OWN - is grounds for charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and can result in jail time.

Coddled - are you freakin' kidding me!!!

chico2
March 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
adowd,it would be wonderful if you could help Kelly get some answers and hopefully her Brew back:pray: Thank you!

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2008, 09:22 AM
I most certainly hope that you are seriously kidding!

As an Air Force Veteran and the Military wife of an Infantryman currently on his way to Iraq for the second time - I can tell you that the military most certainly does NOT coddle their troops and failure to take care of your family - ON YOUR OWN - is grounds for charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice and can result in jail time.

Coddled - are you freakin' kidding me!!!

US or CDN?

CDN military does do everything for their troops, unlike a civilian employer, it is a community in itself. But this is off topic so I won't discuss it again.

CearaQC
March 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Things are getting a bit out of hand here, and I want to offer a solution.

It's now come down to the welfare of Brew. In my opinion he should be at home with his original family. People make mistakes. That's our nature. We would not learn and grow if we were perfect.

What we should be concentrating on is how we treat our fellow humans and animal companions.

For those members spiritually inclined, we should meditate and send positive energy to Kelly's family and Brew and pray that everything will turn out well for all involved.

Appreciation for all animal rescue organizations.

Compassion for those that lose their animal companions.

Forgiveness towards self and others.

Humility to see that we are not perfect, but yet can grow from our experiences.

Understanding of others.

Valor to do what is right for all involved, regardless of personal feelings.

Winston
March 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
Well said CearaQC! :thumbs up

shirley1011
March 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Ceara..so well said and I couldn't agree more

rainbow
March 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Great post, CearaQC :thumbs up

rainbow
March 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Kelly-Ann, my name is Allison Dowd and I am a reporter with the Brandon Sun.
I'd like to speak with you sometime this Easter Weekend regarding the situation your family now finds itself in RE: your family dog, if you have some time.
I cannot locate your phone number in any listings, could you please get in touch with me as soon as you get the chance?
You can either email me at adowd@brandonsun.com or phone my work line at 571-7434.
Warm Regards,
Allison Dowd

YAY.....Kelly I hope Allison's great offer :thumbs up brings you some long awaited results. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Jim Hall
March 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM
thank you ceara

Kelly27
March 22nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
Wow you guys I'm overwhelmed and I feel really good right now....I will be talking to the Mayor on monday (he also visited here btw)....anything i've said here I said to him on the phone and I hope we can work together to fix this situation pronto....

I have contacted the reporter and am waiting for us to connect....I feel really positive right now....thank you so much....

rainbow
March 22nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Good luck, Kelly. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

luckypenny
March 23rd, 2008, 12:02 AM
Wishing a most positive outcome for everyone :goodvibes: .

Desiree16
March 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
Hey Auntie ^^, Wishing the absolute best for Brew. I remember when we went out to visit with our dog, the first time Shadow went in your house in NB, Brew took one look at Shadow and peed on the floor lol. Gosh that was funny. I am sure you will get Brew back... Just keep trying and don't give up 'till the Fat Lady sings.

Desiree16
March 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
He is well loved and sorely missed... I know he wants to be home where he belongs!
http://i25.tinypic.com/34i6cnr.jpg

Kelly27
March 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hey there Des....I've never seen that pic before...cute!....yes of course I remember, Shadow and Brew became great friends....thank you for the pic....it made me smile :angel2:

chico2
March 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Kelly,I know there is probably a lot going on right now in your household,I am also sure at night the tears will come,tears of missing Brew.
I :pray:something will happen with all the attention this has been getting,:fingerscrthat Brew will return home soon.

mona_b
March 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Things are getting a bit out of hand here, and I want to offer a solution.

It's now come down to the welfare of Brew. In my opinion he should be at home with his original family. People make mistakes. That's our nature. We would not learn and grow if we were perfect.

What we should be concentrating on is how we treat our fellow humans and animal companions.

For those members spiritually inclined, we should meditate and send positive energy to Kelly's family and Brew and pray that everything will turn out well for all involved.

Appreciation for all animal rescue organizations.

Compassion for those that lose their animal companions.

Forgiveness towards self and others.

Humility to see that we are not perfect, but yet can grow from our experiences.

Understanding of others.

Valor to do what is right for all involved, regardless of personal feelings.

Amen Sista:highfive::highfive:

mrthomas
March 24th, 2008, 01:23 AM
jest back after the weekend and checking in to see if you got your dog back yet. i see someone from the newspaper is putting out a story. your readers are interested to know when that will be out!

mrthomas
March 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
wow you are brave posting pictures of your kids on the net. i am paranoid of crazies on the net. :)

are they pleding with the new family for you or writing something about the how hard it is to get good infomation in rural areas? let me no when they put it in the paper!

luckypenny
March 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Awww, Kelly, what a beautiful pic :cloud9: ! Our 11 year old son sleeps with his arms wrapped around our Penny too except it's her other end that's usually up on the pillow next to him :laughing: