Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing Oma, Cooper and Henry

HenrysMom
March 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hello everyone! My name is Sheryl and I live in Austin TX with my three kids, OmaKitty, Cooper and Henry. Since they're more interesting than I am, I'll tell you about them. :)

OmaKitty - she's the first pet I ever had as an adult. Born circa November of 1996, which makes her 11 years old - 5 years away from being able to drive. :) Her story is a long one - this is the short version. I went through some hard times in the late 1990s and had just come out of it all when I found her. I was driving through a neighborhood on my way to a friend's house when I saw a cat being abused by a man. Something came over me and I pulled over, punched the guy in the face and took the cat and the kittens (that he had in a burlap sack) and we left. I took her to the ASPCA and the next day, I couldn't stop thinking about her and the fight she was putting up against her abuser so I called and told them I wanted that cat. After weaning her kittens (and a few others at the shelter), she came home with me and we both started our own recoveries from our own bad times.

Oma's not a perfect cat in the least. She has OCD and will spend hours in her litterbox shuffling litter around until it's just perfect. If anyone puts their hand on her neck, she flips out and tries to shred them. She still shows the emotional scars of being abused but she has also made great strides in her recovery. She is the queen of the house; she gets whatever she wants and no one questions her. But most importantly, she and I have a bond that goes beyond cat/human and because of that, she trusts me to care for her. I can't ask for any more than that.

Cooper - my perfect dog. Cooper is a 5-year old chihuahua that's taught me what unconditional love is. I've never had human children but since Cooper came into my life, I imagine that must be what it is like. Cooper only wants to please and be with me - he doesn't really care where or why. He is a graduate of CGC, agility, therapy dog training and he absolutely loves to attend school. He has never been on a leash; he doesn't need one because he won't leave my side for anything. Most importantly, he loves OmaKitty and he treats her with the respect she requires from a dog. Coop has a weight problem that we're trying to get under control - he's 14 lbs now and about 2x what he should weigh. We've been working on it for 2 years now and nothing seems to be helping and blood tests come up clean. That's one of the reasons we ended up with...

Henry - my beast. Henry is 6 months old, a 3.5 lb chihuahua and absolutely crazy. I was thinking a puppy would help get Cooper more active so he'd lose weight... wrong. :) Henry is the exact opposite of Cooper - he doesn't care what I say to him, he doesn't want to be near me all the time and he never runs out of energy. It took me a good 2 months to warm up to Henry ... Cooper was so different as a puppy; he was calm, quiet and never really had much energy. Henry never stops!! I've spent some alone time with Henry in obedience class and just the two of us out on the town and have grown to love him, even with all the craziness. The weirdest thing about Henry is that OmaKitty loves him. He loves her as well - he spends all his free time jumping on her and kissing her which would normally send her into a tailspin of terror ... but she accepts it from Henry and she actually likes him. Henry wants to be a pirate when he grows up.

Pics of the kids -

OmaKitty

http://coopers-kennel.com/CK/020308oma11.jpg

Cooper

http://coopers-kennel.com/CK/020308a.jpg

and Henry eating a dead leaf :)

http://coopers-kennel.com/CK/020308c.jpg

duttypaws
March 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
:cloud9::cloud9:

Welcome to the boards :)

how cuuuuuuuute..... :) and what a lovely story about Oma (your a true hero :) )... they all look like very happy pets :)... :)

Coopers not overweight hes obviously big boned!! :)

danaekitty
March 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the board! Your stories are excellent, and all your babies are so pretty!
Much respect for helping Oma out of a sticky situation, SHAME on that man:yell: !!! It's so unfortunate what some animals have to go through before they get loving homes like yours. Thank you on her behalf, and I hope to see more pics of all three!

danaekitty
March 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Also, I know what it's like to have a bond like that with your kitty. You're both so lucky to have had each other to help with your hard times.

chico2
March 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Henrysmom,Welcome!!
I LOVE Omas face,what a sweetheart,she looks really girlie:lovestruck:
Thank dog you came along to help her out,that man was an evil beeing,I hope Karma catches up with him:evil:
Cooper looks a little chunky,but very sweet,a mamas boy for sure and then little Henry,awwww he's adorable,amazing that he has bonded with Oma.

sugarcatmom
March 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I pulled over, punched the guy in the face and took the cat and the kittens

Way to go!!!! I would have loved to see that.

Welcome to pets.ca, Sheryl. You'll definitely fit in quite nicely here :D! And you have such a lovely fur-family. Oma looks like she could give a bit of 'tude when needed.

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2008, 04:18 PM
You have such a beautiful fur family, HenrysMom!

Oma and Henry make such a lovely couple. :lovestruck: It's so sweet that they're such good freinds.

And Cooper is quite the dignified gent.

Welcome to all of you!

happycats
March 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM
WELCOME!! :)

FancyAppy
March 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Loved your photos and stories about your kids. I have a kitty that spends endless hours in the catbox too.Oma and Henry are precious.Please more pics and stories.

luckypenny
March 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Your babies are adorable :lovestruck: . Glad you made your way here!

I've never had human children but since Cooper came into my life, I imagine that must be what it is like. Cooper only wants to please and be with me - he doesn't really care where or why. He is a graduate of CGC, agility, therapy dog training and he absolutely loves to attend school.

Ummmm, yes, you must be imagining :D . Human children are not anywhere close to your experiences with Cooper :laughing: . He's an :angel: .