Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Male or Female?

Harley's_Mom
March 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM
If I already have a male dog, am I better off sticking with males? Eventually we'd like to get another dog and I'm not sure if it would be easier on Harley to get another male or if he'd accept a female easier.

clm
March 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
How is Harley with other dogs? Does he tend to be aggressive with male dogs in general? Can't really pass judgement on dogs he's met that haven't been neutered. If he's been alright with other neutered males, then you should be ok as long as the introductions go well and they accept you as the pack leader. If he's not happy with other neutered males, then you may find it easier to stick with a female.

Cindy

TeriM
March 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Although lots of people have same sex dogs that get along great I would recommend having two dogs of the opposite sex. In general if there are going to be problems (and it greatly depends on the individual dogs) they are more likely to happen with two same sex dogs. Now, having said that if your dog is very easy going with other dogs you probably would not have a problem.
Good luck.

Harley's_Mom
March 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Yea, I was thinking I'd probably be better off with a female. Harley plays with the female spaniel next door with no issues. The only recent exposure he's had to another male was with the unaltered husky two doors down. The husky is allowed to roam the neighbourhood and I had Harley out for a last pee before bed and next thing I knew he was running after the husky (I didn't know the dog was outside). Fortunately Harley came right back when I called him. I'm not sure if he wanted to play with the other dog or if he was running him off our property.

Hogansma
March 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I would probably look at keeping Harley the top dog. That way he will accept the new dog better. If you get a female, they will each be top of their own sex, top male, top female, and therefore few problems. If you get a male, I'd look at one that is more submissive than Harley so he can be the alpha. After all, it is his house, yard, toys etc. Then when you get the new one, give Harley 2/3 of the attention, feed him first, walk him first, greet him first when you come home, and make it clear that the new dog is second. This is not cruel, just clear rules. Also tell friends and family your rules cause they will all want to come and fuss over the new addition. After several months, the rules can be relaxed.

Good luck!!!