Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Play fighting?

onster
March 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Onnie and Bunduk are getting on eachother's nerves again....or theyre playing? I really don't know :shrug:.

I thought maybe someone could tell me by the pictures (sorry about the quality, there was glare from the window behind).

The first pic tells you who the real instigator is, looks like he's hugging him..but he's just gettting a good grip for his bite :rolleyes: Poor Onnie was minding his own business, watching the neighbours dogs...

Pic 2: Onnie says " its on Bunduk!!!"

Pic 3..Mommy says "BOYYYYYYYYS..." ...the face off

Love4himies
March 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I would say playing, when my cats have fought, the fur was fluffed, they screeched, hissed, and fur was flying with one cat desperately trying to escape.

onster
March 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Btw Hazel's fur isnt standing on end...its just always ruffly :crazy:

and More fighting (??)...

After Onnie chased hazel down the sofa....hazel hid behind the flower pot and they wrestled some more..this is after I told Onnie to stop it..he's a good boy, actually listens to me.

5 mins later Onnie is playing with his catnip mouse and bunduk is playing with his bath sponge....*sigh*..i think its a matter of boys will be boys?

onster
March 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I would say playing, when my cats have fought, the fur was fluffed, they screeched, hissed, and fur was flying with one cat desperately trying to escape.

thanks for that love4himmies...I'm just not sure sometimes because Bunduk gets thrown to the floor pretty dramatically..I usually know theyre 'fighting' because of all the thudding across the floor.

Bunduk also sometimes lets out some whimpers and Onnie "huffs"/ snorts...

Just dont want to ignore this if its the beginings of a war....

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Mine do that stuff too. I see Oksana do it with Kiska, and Vlad with Maks. I know when it's not playing when I hear the hissing, which is usually coming from Oksana. Mainly because Oksana hates to be bothered when she's not in the mood to play :D

Looks to me like they're playing. Even the nipping one. Mine nip at each other at times, but since I don't hear any "I'm in pain," sounding meows I let them play.

growler~GateKeeper
March 11th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Looks like just playing........Silly boys :crazy:

onster
March 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
lol..ok thanks guys

I'll take ure word for it! :D

I always thought multiple cat homes were complete harmony...tho I guess this is harmony too :D. All u see is pics of kitties cuddling and all so i thought my boys didnt like eachother too much with these occasional 'battles'.

onster
March 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
the thing is too that they pin their ears back when doing this...and Onnie swishes his tail...which I thought were signs of annoyance/ anger.

clm
March 12th, 2008, 12:33 PM
My cats past and present would/do get a little testy with each other while playing. Like you described, the ears pinned back and growling. My previous 2 males were the worst, they wouldn't back down from each other. It didn't happen often, but they'd start fighting in earnest once in a while, you can tell, cat fights are very, very loud. Usually around 3:00 in the morning and in the basement, so I had to jump up and run down 2 flights of stairs to break it up. :laughing: Only for the pleasure of having my himi come at me because I was mean enough to break up their fight. :rolleyes:
My current girls fight more the way your describe. Usually one will run off before it gets to the all out cat fight stage. I do find the odd clump of fur around from a battle I wasn't aware of. A cat coming into the room with fur in their mouth that's not their colour is another sure sign that they've been scrapping. :laughing:

Cindy

clm
March 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My himi used to smack his lips when he was getting really angry too.

If you're worried when they're scrapping, if you think it's getting out of hand, just a loud clap of your hands, or a spray from a water bottle will break it up.

Cat's do play rough though, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cindy

BeagleMum
March 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My cats used to play really rough. You know that one got too rough when the other one hissed. Usually there will be lots of growling and flying fur if it is an actual fight.

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
the thing is too that they pin their ears back when doing this...and Onnie swishes his tail...which I thought were signs of annoyance/ anger.

All my cats have done this in play, if they were fighting, you would know it, the screeching and flying of fur can't be missed.

onster
March 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I have as of yet never heard one of my cats hiss. I know what cat fights sound like (growing up with street cats), but as silly as this sounds, I just thought my cats didnt really know how to fight.

These 'scraps' always end up with bunduk running away (even tho hes the instigator) being chased by Onnie, who always ends up with a chunk of white fur in his mouth much like u described clm. Mainly I just yell a firm "Onnnnieee!!" and he stops..but i feel bad cuz bunduk starts it...but then bunduk doesnt know his name, lol :rolleyes:

I also do the hand clapping thing, especially when bunduk starts to 'squeal' (not hiss), im finding now though that bunduk cowers when I clap my hands....I never hit them/ anything..just water/ remove one of them from the situation.

Thanks to all ure input though I now realise theyre are just playing, albeit roughly.

Do u think it would be a good idea to board them in the same place (together one 'room')? I will have to board them for a good 2 weeks in the summer and while there is lots of supervision, I wouldnt want anything to happen. At the same time I dont want them to act like strangers afterwards if boarded seperately...

onster
March 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
thanks love4himmies...that was my main concern, the body language :thumbs up Onnie also does this weird thing where he will puff up and walk sideways when crossing bunduk's path sometimes....lol, does he not realize he's the bigger one???

Frenchy
March 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Both mine plays like this too. Until Monsieur le chat gets fed up and screams like a sissy :laughing:

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Onnie also does this weird thing where he will puff up and walk sideways when crossing bunduk's path sometimes....lol, does he not realize he's the bigger one???

He just wants to make sure bunduk knows he is the biggest:laughing::laughing:.

My foster kittens used to do this to each other, very funny to watch because they were so tiny.

onster
March 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
:laughing::laughing: so ive just confirmed my cats are big babies, acting like kittens :laughing:

:laughing: frency...does le chat start it and then scream? :evil: pure evil. Bunduk does this allll the time.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2008, 01:01 PM
:laughing: frency...does le chat start it and then scream? :evil: pure evil. Bunduk does this allll the time.

Yes , then I tell Paddy to leave Monsieur le chat alone ... then Monsieur le chat runs to Paddy to start it all over again :evil:

clm
March 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I would board the 2 of them together. They're going to be out of sorts being boarded anyway, the comfort of having each other will be so much better for them.

Cats are evil......it's usually the cats in my house that get the dogs all worked up by teasing them. You can almost watch them think about how to get the dogs going. :evil:

Couldn't live without cats, smartest animals around IMO.

Cindy

KimandAutumn
March 12th, 2008, 11:01 PM
you cats are so pretty. first pic is so cute, looks like that one has his arm around the other. :lovestruck:

chico2
March 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Onster,Rocky and Vinnie do almost the exact thing.
Vinnie will get close to Rocky touch him,then throw himself on his back(silly cat)Rocky will start licking Vinnie,just to clean the spot he's going to bite before he jumps him:laughing:
When it looks like it's getting serious,I clap my hands and they stop.
Vinnie too will be hiding and maybe later try the same with Chico,BIG MISTAKE:laughing:
Our little prince(Chico)will not tolerate that big white thing touching him,so Vinnie goes back to Rocky:cat:and here we go again:laughing:

lucha_miki_love
March 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone! Im new to this, but im getting the hang of it :)! Anyways, the reason i joined was, that i wanted to know how to tell if my cats are really fighting or just playing!?! I have read i few of the threds/posts and i still dont know:frustrated:!! I had my first cat Miki for awhile, he's 7 years old and never lived with another cat before. We just got Lucha, who is 4 years old, and in the begining they acually ajusted to eachtother rather well :) But they have little fighting moments almost everyday...im not sure if they are really fighting or jst playing!!

They chase eachother around the house, up and down the stairs. They bat their paws at eachother and sometimes wrestle. It looks pretty rough and i get worried...especialy at night when i cant see what they're doing. I dunno if they're friends or not...one minute they're fighting the next they're sleeping together back to back (like in my pic) :confused:

Whats really going on!?!?!:shrug:
Please help! :pray:
lol thanks alot!! :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I hate to tell you what that first picture looks like to me. That is what my boys have been doing just before they bite the other ones' neck and then try to mount them. Spring fever? They can't "do" anything about it anymore. I think they are just testing the waters to see how far they can go before the other one gets ticked. Of course they do it to the girls too. It passes.
lucha - first of all - welcome to Pets.ca. :)
Do the kitties sound like a herd of elephants coming down the steps? LOL I hear it every day. Lots of fun. I don't worry about the play fighting till blood is drawn and that hasn't happened yet. :shrug:

onster
March 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
lucha, I don't see a pic? which pic are u reffering to?

My cats do that all the time - running up and down the stairs, swatting at ea other etc. Ive pretty much come the conclusion that theyre playing but it sometimes get a lil out of hand :) oh and welcome to the board :thumbs up

14+kitties...the first pic of my boys looks like what ure cats do before mounting??? :eek:

14+kitties
March 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
14+kitties...the first pic of my boys looks like what ure cats do before mounting??? :eek:

lol Don't worry about it Onster. :rolleyes: It's not like they can get pregnant.
Does Hazel bite Onnie's neck or does it get that far? If that is what he does then yep, that's what is going on. He will outgrow it. Mine have never had the "pleasure" of sex but with all the hormones floating around my bunch it is bound to happen. Not to worry. Onnie is taking care of it. :o

Oh, and Onster - Lucha's pic is under her profile.

onster
March 26th, 2008, 06:59 PM
ummmmmmm...eww.

well they sometimes bite eachother's necks..but they dont mount :shrug:

Onnie, before we had bunduk(hazel), used to have this white cat stuffie....his 'gf' if u will...would carry it around the house, drop it in front of u..and ummm...pleasure himself :yuck: I had never seen a cat hump b4 him.......after we got bunduk he forgot about stuffie. which is good, she was my kitty from when I was 5, present from my uncle. It was kind of sad to see her violated...

so if anything Im guessing Onnie humps bunduk? ...oh boy.

found a pic of the 'forbidden love' :rolleyes: (not not the actual humping :p):

lucha_miki_love
March 26th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi again! Thanks for replying so fast :) ! Yes they are really loud on the stairs while running up and down, up and down after eachother!!! They also bang their tails on the ground alot too. You know what im talking about right? They would be wrestling then stop, and then start smacking their tails onto the floor really loudly...while eyeing eachother...LOL They are probably still adjusting to eachother too. Ill keep observing and see what comes next.;)
I also read that its important to watch the angle of their ears, and if they are fighting, not to get into it or break them up, is that true??:confused:
Again thanks for the welcome!!!:goodvibes:

onster
March 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM
true about ear angles...but my cats sometimes are definately playing, with their ears back/ down and their tails swishing! so..i dunno body language in that sense isnt everything.

No, u should get between 2 cats really fighting..u can get hurt pretty badly! Spray them with water, make a loud noise etc. if theyre really at each other. I guess the best 'proof' that my guys arent really fight fighting is that in the midst of it all I can go in pick up one cat and carry him away....and not lose an eye :laughing:....they let me, tho onnie always lets out a big "humph" sigh, lol. ** do not attempt if it looks like a real cat fight**

14+kitties
March 26th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I also read that its important to watch the angle of their ears, and if they are fighting, not to get into it or break them up, is that true??:confused:
Again thanks for the welcome!!!:goodvibes:

If it gets to the point where you think they need to separate for a while a sharp clap or a loud noise works for me. Normally it doesn't go that far. One of them will set the other straight. You should try it with seven. :rolleyes:

Onster - really hon - they grow out of it. :) The bite I was talking about is to the back of the neck, not the throat. In that case I would think it is Hazel in the first one.

onster
March 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
lol...alright 14+, ill take ure word on it :crazy:

Hollygirl
March 26th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I have 2 female cats that play very rough. They wrap their paws around each other and it looks like they sink their teeth into each others necks. One is quite a bit smaller then the other and she's the instigator. I didn't really worry about it too much until I noticed a big lump on the little one. It was a large abscess and my vet thinks it occurred during one of their "play fights" It was quite painful for the little one to go through and the $300 bill was painful for me too. I am very strict now when it comes to their play. If it gets to rough I stop them by clapping my hands. They still walk away with tuff of each others hair in their mouths but, no more punctures I hope.

lucha_miki_love
March 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah,okay, thanks for the advice:thumbs up ! Sometimes when i think they go too far i end up yelling at one of them and they stop. I think they're pretty good friends now, they share a food bowl,sleep together ex... so they were probably just playing.:D I jst wanted to know, do any of your cats have "cat dandruff"???????:confused: Because Miki, always has some near his tail and i try to brush it out but its always there!