Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shih Tzu

jealma
March 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM
HI, really really new at this, and I wanted to ask someone about my shih tzu she is 10 weeks old and is throwing up in the mornings yellow foamy stuff. I am looking forward to getting to meet and know other dog owners as well. So far ABBY has been a joy to have around but I'm sure there is lots I am going to need to learn, and who better to help me than other pet owners.

Dorothea
March 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
jealma,
I have had the same experience with my St Poole.My vet's advice was very helpfull. It's bile in my case. He suggested giving her last meal later in the evening .
Dorothea and Lisa

LavenderRott
March 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Sounds like bile.

My mom gives her little dogs a lite snack just before bedtime.

jealma
March 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
thax's I kind of thought it was a digestive problem, just wasn't sure if she was eatting enough food. The vet nor the breeder actually said how much to feed her, everyone was more concerned with what brand. I'd like to post Abby's picture like you did Dorthea but I don't see any place on here to do that? Very cute poodle by the way. Also Sandi, what kind of dog does your mom have?

LavenderRott
March 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
My mom has a pair of chihuahuas and a yorkie.

So, what kind of food are you feeding and how much?

jealma
March 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I have been giving her beneful dry puppy food. I'd say a female size fist full 3 - 4 times a day upt to 10 pm. she doesn't usually go right to eating though, it can sit there for an hour before she wants any so she doesn't seem hungry

LavenderRott
March 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Here are the ingredients for Beneful's dry puppy food.

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), chicken, rice flour, milk, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), calcium carbonate, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, brewers dried yeast, biotin, garlic oil, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Corn is useless to dogs. They don't digest it well so it equals poop in the yard. Chicken-by-products are those parts of the chicken that the slaughter house can't get rid of any other way.

Do some research in the nutrition forum and I am sure you can find a much better quality food that will eliminate your bile problem. (And don't let your vet try to talk you into Science Diet, it is yucky too.)

jealma
March 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your input. I"m willing to pay more for the food I just don't want to pay more for the same stuff. :-) Seems they always want more money if they put a small dogs picture on it. Advertising scheme I guess

jealma
March 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
HI, I don't seem to know how to post a picture of my Abby so if you like you could take a look at her here,, and feel free to leave a comment or message :-)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=101jealma&search_type=

if that doesn't work, it's www.youtube.com,, and search for 101jealma

thanks, really hope you take a peek, I"m pretty proud of her.

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the board, jealma.

Sorry I can't look at the pic :sad:--I have cranky dial-up :rolleyes: Some days I can't get a connection at all...and most of the time, my modem and phone lines don't get along with anything from youtube. :o

So I'll just have to wait till you can post a pic here. There is a slight delay from the time you join to the time you can post attachments, so you should be able to put up a pic soon. :fingerscr

I hope you enjoy your stay with pets.ca! :D

happycats
March 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
WELCOME !! :)

And I hope Abby's tummy troubles go away.

rainbow
March 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up Abby is a cutie. :lovestruck: Is Mr. Sponge Bob still in one piece? :D

I agree with LavenderRott about the Beneful food. Any pet food you can buy at the supermarket and places like Walmart is not very good. The better premium/holistic brands are found at small independent pet stores. Check out the Food Forum here for lots of good information. :pawprint:

jealma
March 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
HI, and thank you, yes, I saved bob before the jaws of abby did him in. She's a very busy playful girl. :-)