Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Self-introduction

denny1700
March 9th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hello,

I live in Seattle, Washington. My beloved 19-year-old cat died two months ago. I only had for three years, as we adopted him when he was already 16 years old.

I am hoping to adopt a young adult cat very soon.

This will have been the second cat I will have owned.

I hope to learn things from this site as well to share whatever experience I have taking care of felines.

Denny

allymack
March 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM
welcome to the board!

i'm so sorry to hear about the loss of you cat.

Its great that you looking to adopt an adult cat! you'll learn a ton of things from this site.

chico2
March 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Denny,welcome to our Forum:thumbs up
I am sorry for your loss,but I am sure you gave this kitty 3 wonderful years,a 16yr old cat is not easily adoptable:cat:
You will have no problems finding another needy kitty,you should consider 2 cats,it's double the purrs,love and fun.
Thank's for adopting shelter-kitties:cat:

danaekitty
March 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Welcome, Denny, and I agree, two kitties is better than one! It's not any more difficult to maintain two than one, and it will be much more entertaining for you! Hilarious, even.
19 years, eh? What a beautifully long life your cat had...you must have taken such good care. I don't think you'd have an problem with two.
Keep us posted on your decision! And don't worry, we'll all be around to help you out!

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Welcome to the board, Denny.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. :grouphug:

But I'm also so looking forward to hearing about your new addition when it comes. :D Enjoy your stay here.

denny1700
March 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

My last cat, Mannie, was the most beautiful creature I have ever known in this lifetime. He was also my first cat.

I am looking now into adopting a young adult or kitten, tuxedo with mask and pink nose...I know one is not supposed to adopt a second cat that resembles the first, but I would do it out of gratitude to Mannie and honor his memory as well as to make up lost time, if that is possible.

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I think it's a lovely tribute to Mannie that you want to adopt a kitty that resembles him. As long as you keep in mind that it won't be Mannie--it will be itself, with all the personality quirks of any individual. If you can keep that in mind, then I think Mannie would be proud.

Do you have a particular cat in mind, or are you still looking? If you're still looking, don't close your heart to any cat, even if it doesn't look like Mannie. You might miss out on your purrfect companion that way. :D

happycats
March 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
WELCOME!!

:rip: Mannie :candle:

denny1700
March 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Cats are truly amazing creatures...I have become totally fascinated and enchanted by them.

Right now I have been foster-parenting an orange tabby, 12-years-old, for the past six weeks, and she should be going back to her original foster parent.

I feel concerned because I think it will be hard to adopt her out to anyone at her age.

The thing about cats is that they don't age like humans, i.e., they don't become decrepit in appearance--a broad generalization, of course. They remain, often, adorable, trusting, cuddly...

But it feels bad to have to return this cat, Missie Jo, back to her original foster parent so that I can welcome a 5-month old cat, Tres, that I expect, if everything works, to adopt shortly.

Denny

FancyAppy
March 10th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome. I am sorry for your loss. I know you gave Mannie a wonderful live full of love. Congrats on the new member of your family that is on the way,Tres. I wish you could keep Missie Jo as well because it sounds like you have bonded with her.Cats are wonderful. I can not imagine life without them.