Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Odd behaviour

Raini
March 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I have a husky mutt, shes about three years old. When I first found her, I bought her a squeaky duck. She would never let it squeak and she always cried and took it away from me if I squeaked it. She was so obsessive over her squeaky duck that if she tried to run away and I squeaked it, she would still come back even though she knew she would be in trouble. Well, she lost her squeaky duck a couple of weeks ago outside in the yard and so I bought her a squeaky blowfish instead (she chewed the replacement duck I bought her to bits for some reason). Now she carries it around in her mouth and cries all day and night. She still eats and drinks but she just carries her squeaky blowfish around with her everywhere and cries. I dont want to punish her for being noisy... but I have no idea what to do! Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

rainbow
March 10th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Please do not punish her for something as trivial as that. Is she spayed?

danaekitty
March 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry, but this seems really funny to me!
When you say "crying", does it sound like she's sick or in pain or something? Maybe you could just remove the squeaking device from the toy, distract the dog with a bone or something. And if the squeaking really drives you nuts, don't buy another one! :laughing:
Sounds like the pup's got a new fave toy.

satchelp
March 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
It sounds like your girl thinks this toy is a pup because these actions are demonstrating maternal behaviour. This is usually caused by some kind of hormonal issue, and is not that unusual in females that have not been spayed. If she is indeed spayed, there may be some other thing going on that is causing a hormonal imbalance, in which case, you may want to consult a vet.