Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Patch of white on the lining of a cat's mouth?

BusterKitty
March 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
My friend told me that her cat has a white patch on the lining of his mouth. It's at his bottom jaw and the "lip" is black so the patch is visible. The size is smaller than the diameter of a straw's opening. She's gonna have it checked out when he's getting his nails trimmed but we're just asking others if this is a serious problem(like some kind of weird tumour?).

I have no pictures and it's gonna be hard to get some because you can only see it if he relaxes his bottom jaw and his mouth opens. He's a bit overweight(about 15lbs) so could that be a problem? My friend feeds him Wellness and she has never seen that patch before so we don't think it's the food. If you would like more information about the patch, you're gonna have to wait a while because I don't get to see him everyday.

Anybody have answers?:confused:

Thanks you guys!

BusterKitty
March 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ehh, nobody?

I just looked a little bit and found that human oral cancer can cause white patches on the lips. Could that happen to cats too?

Kashi
March 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Can cats get oral thrush like humans can ? Literally, a yeast infection in the mouth.

In humans, it shows as white patches that cannot be wiped / rubbed off.

A sugar/starch/grain-free diet helps humans, as do doses of probiotics (acidophilus).

BusterKitty
March 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Nope, the white patch on his mouth can't be wiped off. I don't know much about oral care in cats but it might be that.

No, I'm not very good with long names of medi-stuff. But I hear lots about probiotics in yogurt commercials:laughing:So is plain yogurt a good solution? I've heard of some people feeding their cats that.

Kashi
March 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
You can get acidophilus capsules at the drug store or health food store. I'd call a vet first to make sure it's safe for the cat, or at least ask around some of the cat-food-safe gurus here.

BusterKitty
March 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Oh okay, I was pretty off but I'll tell her that. I think she's going to wait until the vet appointment though. Thanks anyways:D