Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Starving horses seized in Alberta

badger
March 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM
$1000 - pitiful - I'd have hung him from the rafters and smoked him like a ham. I guess Quebec isn't the only province where animals are at risk.
Those poor horses :sad::sad::sad:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080309.whorsesstarved0309/BNStory/National/home

shane 123
March 9th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Being a horse lover and former rider I would have jailed that man for life without food or water.

want4rain
March 9th, 2008, 06:03 PM
im not finding much other than a bunch of quotes on the net. :( it sounds like Hinz-Schleuter Arabians has a fairly straight forward reputation and no one can really guess as to what happened from the dedicated individuals to turn this into such a horrific situation. i just can not fathom myself how something like this happen. you know, there are cat, dog, bird hoarders but one cant dedicate hundreds of acres to taking care of horses, have hundreds of them from such respected blood lines and then turn around and neglect them like this story. was there a debilitating death in the family? alzheimer's disease? staff lying?? its so sad. :(

:candle: for those who passed away.
:candle: for whatever happened to allow this situation.

-ashley

Frenchy
March 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
was there a debilitating death in the family? alzheimer's disease? staff lying?? its so sad. :(

He did the same sh:censored: in 2005. There is no excuses.

want4rain
March 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
:wall: see where compassion and understanding gets me? wasted on folks like that.

-ashley

Dog Dancer
March 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
The news last night said many of these horses will be sold to slaughter now. How terrible. I hope they are wrong. While it's good to save them from a slow death, I hope a quick death is not their current sentence.

Purpledomino
March 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
The plan for these horses is to go to auction on Thursday in Clyde, Alberta. Although the auction process is a vehicle for the meat buyers, I am assuming if this auction takes place, many will be taken in by ligitimate horse people with good intentions....considering all the media attention and the quality bloodlines they supposedly have. There has been quite a buzz around the horse community, and many I know were going to attend the auction and possibly take a horse home. (maybe even me :D)

I have also found out through a horse rescue group, that there may be a better alternative available for these 100 odd horses. An arabian association has had a meeting regarding the seized horses, and they "may" be able to go to a private farm to be rehabilitated prior to being adopted out. The SPCA is checking out the facility, and hopefully if all the legalities work out, the horses will end up there to get healthy before finding new homes. :fingerscr

rainbow
March 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I hope the private farm rehab scenario works out. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

duttypaws
March 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM
The plan for these horses is to go to auction on Thursday in Clyde, Alberta. Although the auction process is a vehicle for the meat buyers, I am assuming if this auction takes place, many will be taken in by ligitimate horse people with good intentions....considering all the media attention and the quality bloodlines they supposedly have. There has been quite a buzz around the horse community, and many I know were going to attend the auction and possibly take a horse home. (maybe even me :D)

I have also found out through a horse rescue group, that there may be a better alternative available for these 100 odd horses. An arabian association has had a meeting regarding the seized horses, and they "may" be able to go to a private farm to be rehabilitated prior to being adopted out. The SPCA is checking out the facility, and hopefully if all the legalities work out, the horses will end up there to get healthy before finding new homes. :fingerscr

:cry::cry::cry:

the tv said that the neighbours complained for months and nothing was done and they they would take some of the horses.... :shrug: humans confuse me...

Purpledomino
March 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Keno Hills Stable has been approved as a temporary site for these horses and they will be rehabilitated there until they are healthy enough for adoption. You can only imagine the effects of starvation and neglect has on these poor horses, hopefully these good people will do well for them. A website has been created and funds are needed to help with the enormous costs associated with a rescue like this. I am relieved that they will not see the auction ring tomorrow.:) http://www.rescue100.com/

glitterless
March 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
This guy may say he breeds Arabs, but according to my horsey friends and family who have seen the news cilps, most horses don't look Arab. Quality bloodlines mean nothing when the horses are in poor shape and haven't been handled, which I'm guessing is the case with these poor animals.

BeenThereSeenIt
March 16th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Hi all,
Okay, here's the situation. I was at Keno Hills today and registered as a volunteer. I have met each of the horses (except the 5 stallions) and seen the grim reality for myself.
They have now been on three weeks of feed and most of them still are horribly underweight.
The yearlings and older horses have faired the worst. Some of the younger horses are so matted and thin that they are literally skin and bones. Some are missing patches of hair. It's really is heartbreaking!!! That said, the Keno Hills staff and volunteers are doing an amazing job!
All of the horses have been deloused as several were crawling with infestation.
They are all being carefully monitored and are expected to see farrier on Monday and I believe that the vet has been out several times and is expected again on Monday as well.
One mare has feet that are at least 8 inches over grown... I don't know if the farrier will be able to make a difference for her or not. Pray for a miracle because I think that is what she needs! The growth has caused her to alter her gait.
There is also a colt with teribly overgrown hind hooves... he is having trouble walking and the poor guy tried to trot! I felt terrible for him as his pasterns knuckled to compensate.
Some of the horses clearly crave human companionship while others are shy. One mare even tried to defend her hay from a volunteer! God bless the volunteers!
The current reality is that these horses are in the RIGHT PLACE! They are making progress EVERYDAY and are getting the necessities but also a generous helping of love!!! I can't say enough about Keno Hills and the other breeders who have stepped up to make a difference.
If you want to make a difference you can go to www.rescue100.com for more information. What they really need right now is HAY, salt/mineral blocks, food, food, food... also some tack and vet care. All of this cost money. Please donate!!!
Also... with regard to the horses breed. YES they are ARABIANS!!!! Some are partbreds (Quarabs) but the majority are CAHR Registered Arabs. The "breeder" is not wanting to relinquish the registrations so the exact identities of the herd members are unknown at this time. It is my hope that the courts will demand that he relinquish the registration papers. Even if they don't the CAHR may be able to identify some of the horses... we'll have to wait and see.

Also, with regard to the reputation of the "breeders" Axel Hinz-Schleuter and Dale Huber... from first hand knowledge, I can say that I would most certainly NOT consider them REPUTABLE... Yes, some of the bloodlines that are represented in that herd are REPUTABLE... but they, these two men, ARE NOT.

One last thing... there is NO reasonable explaination for this atrocity. No death in the family, no alzheimer's, nothing... nothing but depravity, neglect and good old fashioned greed.

I hope that clears a few things up.
Please help.
Please.
:pray:

BeenThereSeenIt
March 16th, 2008, 02:23 AM
I just thought that I would let you all know that these two men will be in court April 21 and they may have to pay up to $20,000.00 in fines and may be prevented from owning any animal for a specified period of time. I hope to be there in the court room... I knew one of these men (Dale Huber) many years ago. I kind of feel compelled to make sure that these horses get some justice and that the laws change so that the SPCA can act sooner in future cases...

BeenThereSeenIt
March 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I also forgot to mention that many of the seized horses are mares that are likely in foal. The reality is the number of horses rescued and needing care may exponentially rise come May/June when these poor mares start to foal. God grant that they are strong enough by then to make it through the ordeal and then nurse their babies!They really do have an uphill road!
Do you pray? No... well now might be a good time to start.:pray:

want4rain
March 16th, 2008, 10:13 AM
beautiful you for being able to help out!! there are some people in the world who need small padded rooms for the pain they inflict on others, human or otherwise.

-ashley

Love4himies
March 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I heard there was a feed business that was offering horse feed for a discounted price to customers who wish to purchase a bag to donate to these horses. They were hoping to get a tractor trailer (driver donating his truck, trailer and time to deliver) full to deliver to the angel who rescued these poor souls.

rainbow
March 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I wish we were in a position to help. :o Is there any way someone can get media attention to help raise donations for this? :fingerscr

BeenThereSeenIt
March 17th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Also, if you are looking at the pictures on Facebook, keep in mind that half of the mature horses are pregnant mares! :eek:
So sad! :pray: