Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it right to legislate people into second-class citizenship based on property?

Saradog
March 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Vote in the Social Mange poll...is it right to legislate law-abiding people into second-class citizenship based on the property they own?

http://socialmange.blogspot.com/

Upper right

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Not sure what you mean. Nowhere is that legislated, at least in Canada.

babyrocky1
March 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I haven't read the article yet but by the post, I think Sara Dog is referring to the fact that unfortunately, dogs are considered property, those of us who own dogs who look like a certain "type" of dog have been legislated into "second class" citizens ..... just my immediate reaction to the post as I am most definately feeling like a "second class" citizen...

One example of that would be the fact that I no longer feel safe in exercising my democratic right to protest in my own neighbourhood for fear of retaliation against my dog!

There is a very controversial political situtuation regarding the Toronto Airport right now, I would normally be out protesting with the rest of my activist friends but they don't have dogs that may or may not be "pit bulls" in the eyes of the "Onscario" government... and although I follow the law, someone could say I don't and my boy could be confiscated and killed.... Far fetched, I don't think so but whether or not I am over-reacting, this is how I live...

CyberKitten
March 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Ahhhh, I see. I get it now. Thanks!! I do not ever think of animals as property so that never entered my mind but alas, yes, that is the law in many jurisdictions. Sad to say!! We really need to overhaul the laws re domestic pets just as we did for people and frankly, our laws regarding children are there but as a pediatrician, I don't think they have enough teeth ir are enforced as well as they should be. But that's another topic.

I know it is scary to have a pittie in Ontario and some other places now. Seems so unfair. I always remind pppl that Nipper (think that was his name) the dog that was for many years the RCA logo is a pitpull. That law in Ontario seems to be exercised at the whim of people who have no clue what they are doing and of course- like any law like that, it is based on bad research - one really, just political opportunism and nothing else. I wish you well.

Love4himies
March 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I don't have the stats in front of me, but I am pretty sure guns kill more people per year, than pitties, if the gov't was really concerned about citizens safety, I would say guns should be outlawed.

hazelrunpack
March 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
More people are killed by drivers of vehicles than the combined total killed by pitties or by people wielding guns--but banning vehicles is not the answer, either. :shrug: Banning never really fixes the problem...

Love4himies
March 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
More people are killed by drivers of vehicles than the combined total killed by pitties or by people wielding guns--but banning vehicles is not the answer, either. :shrug: Banning never really fixes the problem...

You are right, hazel, it is the person behind the dog/gun/vehicle that is in control...

babyrocky1
March 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I don't have the stats in front of me, but I am pretty sure guns kill more people per year, than pitties, if the gov't was really concerned about citizens safety, I would say guns should be outlawed.
I think there has been one death in 23 years due to a dog identified as a "pit bull", let alone per year..

Guns, Cars, windows, swimming pools, fires, etc. etc.. way more than ANY dog!
Oh smoking, drinking, over-eating.....on and on... thats why the Canadian Safety Council came out against the law immediately as they felt it was an over-reaction.