Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Paranoid now, guess that is good this time:)

dmc123
June 18th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I recently lost my oldest female cat (12), she developed a tooth/gum infection that turned into kidney failure, despite antibiotics, perhaps too late.

Now, I am so paranoid about all my others. Oldest male cat had regular vet appointment today, and had all types of tests run on him. Asked for blood test, check kidney's, etc (all levels are good). Asked for thorough tooth/gum check, again all well. Only change vet recommended was put him on Senior food,he weighs 13.6 lb, but feeding him separately is hard since he and two other almost 3 yr old cats share their food. But I'll manage.

As for the other younger ones, I bought kitty toothpaste and the finger brush and am brushing them weekly, sometimes more. They are not too upset with this. I try on my older male also, but it is a battle. (still doing it)

I guess losing one makes you at least try harder to do what you didn't do so well before, but it is sad for that to be what spurs us on. All of mine got love and care, and regular vet appointments plus others if something was wrong, but bad things can sneak up on us.

Just wanted to tell my story, and to recommend brushing or trying to brush your cat's teeth when you can. Sassy might have made it longer if I had.

My webpage, has pics of all of them (http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/dchomepage/)

Karin
June 18th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.

No words can describe the pain you must feel.

Thank You for sharing.

Lucky Rescue
June 18th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your kitty.:( Please don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes despite our best efforts, something may go unnoticed until it's too late. We are only human and do our best.

Your kitty was lucky to have such a great home and to be so loved. Most aren't as fortunate.

Luba
June 18th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Oh pls don't be so hard on yourself (hugs) for your loss!

chico2
June 18th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Dmc123 "If it should be"is a wonderful poem,I would like to see it here,but am not that computer-savvy :eek:
Sassy was a beautiful cat and these things happen,no matter how much we do things right,don't blame yourself.The picture of your cat Cody is priceless :D He looks like a BIG bundle of furry love :D

chico2
June 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I just had a longer look at your web-page,what a wonderful brood you have :D Are you in South Carolina?

dmc123
June 19th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Chico2,

Here is that poem, If It Should Be, I found it on the internet the day I had to have Sassy put down, it helped me quite a lot....

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief stay your hand
For this day, more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stands the test.

We've had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears
Would you want me to suffer so?
When that time comes please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
But stay beside me to the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindnmess that you do for me
Although my tail it's last has waved
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Do not grieve, it must be you
Who decides this thing to do
We've been so close, we two, these years
Remember joy amoung your tears.

~Author Unknown~

dmc123
June 19th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Chico 2,

I am in North Carolina.

chico2
June 19th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Thank's,I printed it out,it's a wonderful poem...
I thought you were in Myrtle Beach SC,because of your T-shirt.. :eek:
Hubby and I have been driving to MB for the past 15yrs every october and we LOVE SC and southcarolinians, not only because of beautiful beaches :p

Princesss04
June 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your baby. She had a good home (you can tell) and your other babies are so very pretty! :D

glasslass
June 21st, 2004, 05:24 PM
What a wonderful picture of Sassy on the chair! She was dearly loved and had a great life! In spite of our best intentions, we're not perfect. I bet there have been times when your own health has suffered because of what you didn't do. Thanks for sharing your pain with us. You're truly a caring person to share with us so that we can all learn from it. That's one of the neatest things about this board. So many people would say it's only a cat but all of us understand your pain and know it's like losing a child. I hope you can feel our vibes reaching out to you! We need icons for hugs! ^..^

dmc123
June 21st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Thank you Glasslass and all the others who posted. This is such a wonderful site.