Marty D.
March 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Lilbit...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit24.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit15.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit29.jpg

Frenchy
March 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Welcome to pets.ca. Your dog is ... quite muscular. What's up with that ? I've never seen anything like it ... looks quite weird.

rainbow
March 9th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I've never seen a dog like that either.....please explain.

Rottielover
March 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
OMG, wow...Do you do weight pulling with him, that's the only way I can think he got so muscular

Toonces
March 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Holy cow I have never seen such a buff dog

wdawson
March 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
omg.....:rolleyes:

danaekitty
March 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Welcome to pets.ca. Your dog is ... quite muscular. What's up with that ? I've never seen anything like it ... looks quite weird.

ROFL ROFL ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Leave it to Frenchy.

Seriously, I'm still laughing my ass off.

OC_Spirit
March 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Hey I recognize you ;) Lilbit is such an amazing dog! Wow! She looks better and better every time I see her!

CearaQC
March 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
There was an article about a year ago that showed a similar dog.

Apparently it's some sort of breed. But the dog in the article had a genetic mutation where it had DOUBLE the amount of muscle tissue. It was the canine equivalent of Arnold S. (Well, a much younger Arnold. Now he's just old and flabby.)

:laughing::laughing:

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=67f15c17-2717-4022-bb76-1b982456e793

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/idl/vitc/20070625/2192-640.jpg

Lukka'sma
March 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
That's a look I absolutely don't care for

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Lilbit has a lovely face. She looks very healthy.

onster
March 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Like CearaQ said its just a genetic mutation guys..."different" looking as it is.

Is Lilbit ure own dog? Or just pictures of someone else's? As far as I was aware, these arent really sold and with genetic testing/ screening there may be no more of them born..

I agree with ancient, she has a very pretty face :)

Frenchy
March 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
That's a look I absolutely don't care for
Me neither
Lilbit has a lovely face. She looks very healthy.

Healthy ... I'M not sure this is a healthy look for a dog. Now for Mister muscles on steroids , maybe.

shane 123
March 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM
That dog is so different than any I've ever seen -- what kind of dog is it, does anybody know?

onster
March 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
It's a "bully" whippet (tho the name is a minsnomer)...basically a whippet with a double deletion in its myostatin gene

I heard about it in my genetics classes....

an except from wikepedia:

"A 2007 NIH study in PLOS Genetics[17] found a significant relationship in whippets between a myostatin mutation and racing performance. Whippets that were heterozygous for a 2 base pair deletion in myostatin were significantly over-represented in the top racing classes. Whippets with a homozygous deletion were apparently less able runners although their overall appearance was significantly more muscular. The 2 base pair mutation resulted in a truncated myostatin mRNA, likely resulting in an inactive form of myostatin.

Interestingly, whippets with the homozygous deletion also had an unusual body shape, with a broader head, pronounced overbite, shorter legs, and thicker tails. These whippets have also been called "bully whippets" by the breeding community due to their size, but not their temperament.

This particular mutation was not found in other muscular dog breeds such as boxers and mastiffs, nor was it found in other slight hounds such as greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, or Afghan hounds. The authors of the study suggest that myostatin mutation may not be desirable in greyhounds, the whippets' nearest relative, because greyhound racing requires more significant endurance due to the longer races (900 meters for greyhounds)."

Apparently they are 'healthy' but tend to get muscle cramps in their shoulders....I'm not advocating playing around with the genetics of these dogs (so dont flame me, lol)...It's just very interesting.

CearaQC
March 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Some mutation occurs naturally. "New" species of animals and plants are found all the time. The rest of it is man made.

Many of you probably eat genetically modified foods and don't even realize it.

And now, cloning of meat animals has been given the green light.

So I'd say a funky looking dog is the least of our worries.

KimandAutumn
March 10th, 2008, 08:42 PM
sorry.... but :eeew:

ancientgirl
March 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Guys, this may not be what some consider a beautiful dog, but she's not hideous either. It's apparently the way that particular breed is.

The owner wanted to proudly show us what a beautiful girl they have.

And that other dog might be super muscular, but it's not her fault. Have a look at what a sweet face she has.

jiorji
March 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Guys, this may not be what some consider a beautiful dog, but she's not hideous either.

haha yeah i agree...i think some comments are uncalled for. And some of your other dogs aren't particularly "pretty" either and you wouldn't go up to someone and say "your baby's uuuuuugly!!!" would you?. :rolleyes:

anyway, welcome to the board. :D

Onster...it's a WHIPPET?? i thought it was some really buff pittbull, a pittbull doing yoga or something. The dog version of Madonna :laughing::laughing:

luckypenny
March 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
:shrug: Are you gonna tell us a little more about Lilbit, Marty D., or keep us guessing? Judging from the photo, she looks tiny (extremely muscular, yes, but quite small) compared to your leg. She doesn't reach your knee. She is quite a determined looking girl though, isn't she?

I'm pretty sure you expected the reaction you're getting here. Lilbit is a Pitbull; you'll find most, if not all members adore the breed and many are actively fighting BSL in any way they can. I hope you'll welcome some of the reaction you're getting here and understand it is out of concern for Lilbit as many don't know what to make of her musculature.

Perhaps you can explain if she competes in weight pulling and similar competitions?

CyberKitten
March 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I thought pitbull too - cute face. Everyone has different tastes in what they want in a dog. I am a beagle-poodle-lab kind of person. There are many pittie lovers here and boxers and greyhounds and and... some ppl think my syphynx girls are ugly (Of course I think they are adorable) - we are just all different, like our pets. :)

KimandAutumn
March 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Forgive me if I came off harsh. She does have a sweet face, I was just shocked over the muscular body. I have never seen anything like that before. I, too am curious about her background or how this breed came to be.

jiorji
March 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM
ok i think i found some info on the dog breed....

Myostatin (formerly known as Growth differentiation factor 8) is a growth factor that limits muscle tissue growth, i.e. higher concentrations of myostatin in the body may cause the individual to have less developed muscles. The myostatin protein is produced primarily in skeletal muscle cells, circulates in the blood and lymph and acts on muscle tissue, apparently by slowing down the development of muscle stem cells. The precise mechanism remains unknown. Its functions in non-mammalian vertebrates appear to be somewhat conserved as muscle-specific actions have been demonstrated in birds. However, it is produced in many different fish tissues, suggesting that it may regulate more than just muscle mass in these vertebrates.

Performance Enhancement in Dogs
A 2007 NIH study in PLOS Genetics[17] found a significant relationship in whippets between a myostatin mutation and racing performance. Whippets that were heterozygous for a 2 base pair deletion in myostatin were significantly over-represented in the top racing classes. Whippets with a homozygous deletion were apparently less able runners although their overall appearance was significantly more muscular. The 2 base pair mutation resulted in a truncated myostatin mRNA, likely resulting in an inactive form of myostatin.

Interestingly, whippets with the homozygous deletion also had an unusual body shape, with a broader head, pronounced overbite, shorter legs, and thicker tails. These whippets have also been called "bully whippets" by the breeding community due to their size, but not their temperament.

This particular mutation was not found in other muscular dog breeds such as boxers and mastiffs, nor was it found in other slight hounds such as greyhounds, Italian greyhounds, or Afghan hounds. The authors of the study suggest that myostatin mutation may not be desirable in greyhounds, the whippets' nearest relative, because greyhound racing requires more significant endurance due to the longer races (900 meters for greyhounds vs. 300 meters for whippets).

-wikipedia

:cool::cool:

clm
March 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM
That's one reason why there are so many breeds out there and often why they look like they do. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Now I love this dogs colour, my dad doesn't like liver colour or red colouring at all. I love pugs, my husband can't stand them. Some people love the hairless Chinese Cresteds, I prefer the powerpuff form.
My breed isn't popular and I don't hold it against anyone (well almost anyone, if a beagle can win best in show at Westminster, I want to see a keeshond do it too :laughing:).
I bet this little girl is just as sweet as her face looks. :lovestruck:

Cindy

jiorji
March 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
more info....

http://www.cobankopegi.com/blog/2007/06/bully-whippets-genetics.html

Lukka'sma
March 10th, 2008, 11:37 PM
haha yeah i agree...i think some comments are uncalled for. And some of your other dogs aren't particularly "pretty" either and you wouldn't go up to someone and say "your baby's uuuuuugly!!!" would you?. :rolleyes:

anyway, welcome to the board. :D

Onster...it's a WHIPPET?? i thought it was some really buff pittbull, a pittbull doing yoga or something. The dog version of Madonna :laughing::laughing:

If you could please direct me to the post that say's this dog is ugly! Cause I don't see it
Also whether you agree with anyones opinion on this board is totally irrelevant. Everyone here has their own thoughts on this body type and we don't look for your approval prior to posting our postition

jiorji
March 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM
so you can post your opinion, but I can't....riiiiight....
double standards....gotta love them :rolleyes:

onster
March 10th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Lukkasma...I think jiorji was just paraphrasing of sorts (or reading in between the lines if u will) peoples' reactions.

I mean..i dunno if it was just me but the requests for explanation were kind of "loaded" with assumptions dont u think?..

and I mean....if someone told u that ure dog (beautiful) was a "look they didnt care for" it might be upsetting right? Not that you meant to upset the person....but from their point of view, their dog who simply has a genetic mutation ..why would someone go tell them "they dont care for it", especially since one doesnt have to comment on the picture..:2cents: Though of course its ure right to comment...

anyways ...I think we should move on from this topic..no reason for us to get upset at eachother :)

ETA: sorry lukasma, " the simply has a genetic mutation" part is apparently totally wrong....oops.

loopoo
March 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
what i think of mutated anything.. cloned anything is a whole other topic:D all the same your pup has the sweetest face.. as long as she is healthy.. and loved that is what is most important, thanks for sharing honestly cant say i have seen pics of breeds like that before would love to know more about her

OC_Spirit
March 11th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Just to clear things up, I know both dog an owner from another site. Lilbit is a purebred APBT and one that is in phenominal shape! Completely ripped hard core! Now some people may not like that look and that is fine, to each their own, right :D I just wanted to clear up that she is not a Whippet with a mutated gene...

Like I said before, I think she is stunning and in supreme shape!

onster
March 11th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Okay, my bad. Apparently Llbit is not a whippet (Sorry!) but rather APBT as OC spirit and LP mentioned....the picture that CearaQ posted is of a "bully" whippet and all the genetic information relates to that picture of a whippet.

My bad,,,,:o I don't really know my breeds, I just saw extreme muscle and related the two :shrug:

I'd be very stunned to know though that all that muscle has arisen not from a genetic mutation...

want4rain
March 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
OC- is it a pulling program?? we have one for pitties here. while i dont like that ripped look (on my guys either!!! *not* species specific :laughing:) she looks very glossy and healthy. i cant help but feel that last pic is a pulling position. frankly, whole most dont like the look.... if folks are competing the muscle size of their pitties and not their fighting ability, im happy!!!!!

-ashley

Love4himies
March 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I too thought it to be a pitty, but I am not very doggie smart. I was a little concerned the poor dog was a bit skinny, but I think that way with greyhounds too.

Anywho, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the dog has a happy face and that is what is important to me.

Welcome to the board.

KimandAutumn
March 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I too thought it to be a pitty, but I am not very doggie smart. I was a little concerned the poor dog was a bit skinny, but I think that way with greyhounds too.

Anywho, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the dog has a happy face and that is what is important to me.

Welcome to the board.

ahhh do you know how long I stared at your avatar?? LOL a very long time until I realized I know that picture!! Testimonial on Orijen website. Good memory... just short *sigh*

Love4himies
March 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
ahhh do you know how long I stared at your avatar?? LOL a very long time until I realized I know that picture!! Testimonial on Orijen website. Good memory... just short *sigh*

Yes, I sent that picture into Championfoods a few weeks ago and they posted it.

Puddles is not suppose to eat kibble for health reasons, but she loves it so much. When I accidentally leave the pantry door open she knocks over the bag and goes in it to eat.:frustrated: She is also very skinny so I don't get upset with her when she does eat it.

Marty D.
March 20th, 2008, 10:44 PM
OMG, wow...Do you do weight pulling with him, that's the only way I can think he got so muscularYes she is very good at weight pulling...

Here she is helping out NASA...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/shuttle_pit-bull_pull_2-.jpg

And here the Armed Forces...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/pit_bull_pull1.jpg

And last but not least ole Santa...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/santa-sliegh.jpg :thumbs up

No really... she's just a house dog that is not into anything but conformation shows, ADBA standards

http://www.apbtconformation.com/adbastandard.htm

Pics from her last show at 3 yrs old...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Ga%20fun%20show%2003%2009%2008/14.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Ga%20fun%20show%2003%2009%2008/17.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Ga%20fun%20show%2003%2009%2008/10.jpg

This is her at 11 months old...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/T-shirts/Lilbit-05-05-06.jpg

As a pup...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/lilbit-outside1.jpg

Someone mentioned Arnold Schwarzenegger, here is a picture that was handed out at the Arnold classic 2008 of her to help fight BSL...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit/scan.jpg

Here's the whole story of how this came about...

I am pleased to tell you that I was given permission by Marty to sponsor an acceptional athlete at the 2008 Arnold Classic in the name of the Pit Bull Community of Game-Dog! My trainer and friend is an IFBB fitness professional. If she were an animal she could be a Pit Bull. She has strength, tenacity, dedication, a beautiful physique and a will to keep competing and never quit. She is a veteran fitness professional and for the last 8 years continues to place in the top 10 at the Arnold as well as qualifies for the fitness olympia continually. As an amature body bulding competitor I can only tell you it would take the "game" of the Pit Bull to continue to do what she does and do it as well as she does.

Her name is Stacy Simons and she loves dogs. She thinks the Pit Bull is a beautiful representation of an athletic animal. During the course of our training I told her of the plight of our dogs with BSL. She was appauled. As one of her sponsors, we were represented as a voice against BSL with a flyer that she handed out as she autographed pictures of her competition at the Arnold.

Please join me in congradulating Stacy for placing 7th at the Arnold and helping to speak out against BSL for our dogs in another forum.

I have included a picture of the flyer I created for the Arnold. The backround is grey, but my scanner sucks. I have sent a hard copy to Marty so maybe he can post a better copy. I have attached two URLs for Stacy, one is her page where she will be adding the Game Dog web site page as one of her sponsors (as soon as I get it to her) the other is her write up at the Arnold. How cool is this!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.arnoldclassic.com/fitness_international.asp

Click on Stacy's picture in the URL above, it is the last one.

http://www.stacysimons.com/pages/Welcome.html

Will answer any Questions you may have about my dog as i have nothing to hide but I must tell you I am a very busy person and have limited time...

"I'll be back" lol :thumbs up

Marty D.
March 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Like CearaQ said its just a genetic mutation guys..."different" looking as it is.

Is Lilbit ure own dog? Or just pictures of someone else's? As far as I was aware, these arent really sold and with genetic testing/ screening there may be no more of them born..

I agree with ancient, she has a very pretty face :)Yes Lilbit is owned by me, she was Gaven to me as a pup and she's been here all her life...

Here she is on a friends site...

http://www.stillwaterkennelsupply.com/customerphotos.htm

Second dog down :thumbs up

Marty D.
March 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Just to clear things up, I know both dog an owner from another site. Lilbit is a purebred APBT and one that is in phenominal shape! Completely ripped hard core! Now some people may not like that look and that is fine, to each their own, right :D I just wanted to clear up that she is not a Whippet with a mutated gene...

Like I said before, I think she is stunning and in supreme shape!Thank you OC_Spirit, you probably know that I'm very busy fighting for these dogs rights all over the world and don't have to much time on my hands... Sorry for being late posting but I'll be back, this is just a new forum to me and its in my favorites :o

ancientgirl
March 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
Marty, you have a great looking dog, and she's got such a sweet face. :lovestruck:

It's good to see there are so many people out there to fight for the rights of these dogs and to stop so many of them from being euthanized in some parts of this country, just for being the breed they are.

jessi76
March 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
I love the contrast of this dog - her hard sculpted lines combined with her soft beautiful coloring. she's a stunning dog! hope we get to see more pics of her.

Love4himies
March 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
She is in beautiful shape, but I still think she is a bit skinny. I look at her and worry that she is hungry.

Marty D.
March 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Although you may think she is "hungry," it is unhealthy for a dog to be overweight. She is technically at an ideal weight for both her breed and her physical structure. With outward body-fat, there is also fat built up around internal organs and it causes strain to their lungs, heart and overall functioning, not including joint decay. It is not good for a dog to be underweight, but it's much more life threatening for a dog to be overweight.

Our dogs are not underweight nor overweight, but in ideal shape for their breed and composition.

Here are more pictures of our dogs:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Lilbit13.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Finale-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/AKA.jpg

Now, the same dogs winning trophies for their conformation:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/finale-bestofopposite.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/aka-bestofshow.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/bosboo9-16-06.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Ga%20fun%20show%2003%2009%2008/17.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/Marty2k6/Dog%20shows/winners-circle-2.jpg

All of our dogs are fed twice per day and have fresh water three times per day.

Rottielover
March 22nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Way to go for giving her jobs to do to keep happy, these dogs are in their element pulling, one reason they are so hard to train on leash for heel. LOL
She is beautiful, and I agree with you 100%, dogs live longer and healthier lives lean

SARAH
March 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM

Like I said before, I think she is stunning and in supreme shape!

My first thought was, wow - a bodybuilder dog! I have a good few BB friends, and most of them have dogs too, but not one looks this lean. Ripped even!!

Marty, you have a great looking dog, and she's got such a sweet face. :lovestruck:

It's good to see there are so many people out there to fight for the rights of these dogs and to stop so many of them from being euthanized in some parts of this country, just for being the breed they are.

Totally agree! They are as sweet or mean as their owner makes them! A "hot-dog" can be dangerous too if it's not trained right.

I love the contrast of this dog - her hard sculpted lines combined with her soft beautiful coloring. she's a stunning dog! hope we get to see more pics of her.

Nature making a work of art.

She is in beautiful shape, but I still think she is a bit skinny. I look at her and worry that she is hungry.

LOL, you know, when I read that comment, I thought of a friend of mine in NJ, a natural bodybuilder (i.e. no steroids for those who wonder what I mean by natural). He gets down to 4% bodyfat before a contest and you could literally use him as an anatomy chart, not kidding! But the thing is, he sometimes has total strangers come up to him and offer to pay him a meal, because they believe he's starving :laughing: he should have a dog like her, for sure!!

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Marty, is the other dog yours too? He's really beautiful as well.

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
Although you may think she is "hungry," it is unhealthy for a dog to be overweight. She is technically at an ideal weight for both her breed and her physical structure. With outward body-fat, there is also fat built up around internal organs and it causes strain to their lungs, heart and overall functioning, not including joint decay. It is not good for a dog to be underweight, but it's much more life threatening for a dog to be overweight.

Our dogs are not underweight nor overweight, but in ideal shape for their breed and composition.

All of our dogs are fed twice per day and have fresh water three times per day.

In my brain I know you are 100% correct, there is a huge difference between her physique than a dog that has been starved. If I wanted to be that skinny, I would have to be hungry a whole lot.

OC_Spirit
March 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Just some food for thought, a dog that has been straved does not have the muscle tone that Lil Bit has ;) You lose muscle before you lose fat.

SARAH
March 22nd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Just some food for thought, a dog that has been straved does not have the muscle tone that Lil Bit has ;) You lose muscle before you lose fat.

Absolutely, and you put away some serious amount of food too for that look! Only ... not junk food, ice cream and alcohol :D more like lean proteins, vegetables and whole grain rice, whole wheat pasta and bread; and sweet and regular potatoes (for humans that is).

Marty D.
March 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Marty, is the other dog yours too? He's really beautiful as well.Yes, want to see all my dogs? watch the vid...

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/view_shared?p=4047b8650543ceb89af69e&skin_id=406&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Thanks for all the comment's, we take great pride in our dogs ;)

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
:sad:I think part of the link was cut off, I can't seem to open it.

Marty D.
March 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
:sad:I think part of the link was cut off, I can't seem to open it.Try now, I had to edit it, Can you tell I love the breed? ;)

ancientgirl
March 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM
You have some amazing looking dogs. I liked the pictures with the kids. I think that's a great tool in showing these dogs aren't what most people think they are, which are violent bullies that just want to tear each other apart.

Marty D.
March 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
:sad:I think part of the link was cut off, I can't seem to open it.

You have some amazing looking dogs. I liked the pictures with the kids. I think that's a great tool in showing these dogs aren't what most people think they are, which are violent bullies that just want to tear each other apart.Thanks, did you hear about Tanya... http://www.coldsteelpits.com/TanyaMemorial.htm

It's so sad and she was so young only 35 yrs old :(

But she died doing what she loved the best (showing her dogs), she was a friend of the community, we lost a good one :(

Marty D.
March 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
Ok never mind, No :grouphug: 's here :sorry:

Shaykeija
March 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
:sorry:, I just read your thread. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Hollygirl
April 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM
She's beautiful and such a sweet face.

Love4himies
April 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM

Thanks OC, I can see a huge difference in the physique between a starved dog and Marty's, I just didn't know why there was such a difference.