Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Winter walk

otter
March 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
We finally got out of the house today, felt like it had been years since we could. After some freezing rain last weekend and the following cold weather there was enough of a crust on the snow that we could go walking and get down to our favourite beach (without having to walk in knee deep snow, even with snowshoes on) and the sun was kind enough to shine as well :thumbs up:cloud9:

It's hard to believe that these are pictures of exactly the same place... makes me really wish for summer:sad: (Molly too!)

otter
March 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Molly was so excited to get on the beach... I really think she thought there would be water to play in.

I hope she wasn't too disappointed, there was ice forever (you can see water, probably about a mile off shore in the second picture),
and there was a huge ice "cliff" on the beach where the edge of the water usually is (I think before the bay froze it was probably windy and lots of ice gets pushed up on shore, creating these crazy "cliffs" - happens pretty much every year to different degrees). Molly is actually walking along the edge of the "cliff" - which you can't see in the photo

Rottielover
March 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
She still looks like she is in heaven there. Really nice pics

otter
March 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I think this might give you an idea of the "cliff". It's about 10ft straight down from where Molly is sitting to the ice sheet below. It's way to dangerous to go out on the ice here anyways so I didn't mind. I was really afraid Molly was going to try and go swimming if there was open water and she would just come back a frozen block of ice :eek:

meg4050
March 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Aww those are gorgeous pics! Molly looks so happy :D\:lovestruck:

otter
March 8th, 2008, 08:58 PM
It was really cold and windy out on the beach so we couldn't (well I wouldn't) stay long. I kinda don't think Molly was too upset to leave, with no water to play in at the beach wasn't as much fun as she thought (plus it's about an hour hike each way, and to her the only purpose of hiking is to get to water :rolleyes:) It was really pretty though.

hazelrunpack
March 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
That really is pretty country, otter.

LOL--that shot of Molly lying out on the ice! :laughing: She was sooooooo disappointed that there was no water :D

Lake Michigan used to get those weird ice cliffs, too--big blocks of ice all mashed up near shore... Looked unearthly on really cold days, because then you'd get steam off the whatever open water there was and everything would be blanketed in misty clouds...

Frenchy
March 8th, 2008, 09:20 PM
LOL--that shot of Molly lying out on the ice! :laughing: She was sooooooo disappointed that there was no water :D

I went : ooohhhh noooo , poor Molly :cry: :laughing:

So nice to see Molly :lovestruck: tell her spring is "suppose" to be near. :cool:

otter
March 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
That really is pretty country, otter.

LOL--that shot of Molly lying out on the ice! :laughing: She was sooooooo disappointed that there was no water :D I think it was a hard lesson. I felt like i'd betrayed her :sad:

Lake Michigan used to get those weird ice cliffs, too--big blocks of ice all mashed up near shore... Looked unearthly on really cold days, because then you'd get steam off the whatever open water there was and everything would be blanketed in misty clouds...

we get that frosty effect lots on the river - it's like what they get out west too, they call it hoar frost.
A few years ago we had HUGE ice cliffs, 30 + feet high. I'll see if I can find a photo, they were soooooo coool

I went : ooohhhh noooo , poor Molly :cry: :laughing:

So nice to see Molly :lovestruck: tell her spring is "suppose" to be near. :cool: Ya, Molly doesn't believe me when I tell her spring might be coming, she thinks spring only happens in Montreal :eek: (and i'm afraid she might be right)

luckypenny
March 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ya, Molly doesn't believe me when I tell her spring might be coming, she thinks spring only happens in Montreal :eek: (and i'm afraid she might be right)

Perhaps not this year at the rate it's coming down right now :laughing: .

Molly looks so forlorn in the first photo :sad: . As much as I love the snow, for Molly's sake, I hope it goes away so she can play in the water really soon :fingerscr .

otter
March 8th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm sure Molly would be happy in a world with snow and water :cloud9:. She actually really likes snow (and so do I for the most part), it's yummy to eat, fun to roll in, but, would be nice if the water were heated :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
March 9th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Love that 1st pic almost looks like Molly's :lovestruck: enjoying a white sand beach in the sunshine somewhere tropical :cloud9: I'll bet that's what she was thinking about :dog:

rainbow
March 9th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Great pics :thumbs up but brrrrr http://bestsmileys.com/cold/15.gif

Don't worry Molly.....spring is coming. http://bestsmileys.com/sun/2.gif

otter
March 9th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Don't worry Molly.....spring is coming. http://bestsmileys.com/sun/2.gif

I think i'm the worried one ... though we haven't had all the storms like S. Ont it's been quite a cold winter here, no thawing at all. Skiers and snowmobilers are in heaven! It's been really nice to have a fairly clean house for a while now... no muddy or sandy feet, not even snow, it's too cold for snowy feets :D. That is something to :D about.

breeze
March 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
It still looks peaceful in the winter!!

beautiful pictures..:thumbs up

more please:D