Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ear Drops + Contaminating tip of bottle-Need advice How To Administer??

VIOLET0019
March 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM
How does one administer ear drops into a cat's ear without the tip touching the ear - and having a squirming cat??
I have heard that once the tip is touched it is as good as gone :( HELP?:shrug::confused::wall:

Element~5
March 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM
When you're applying ear med's to a cat, the tip has to touch the cat's ear, it has to be right inside the ear, or the med's will be noneffective because the drops most likely won't be absorbed deep enough into the ear where they need to go.

You can disinfect the tip with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) before and after you give the drops. Which type of drops are you using and will you be using them on multiple cats, or just the one cat?

You can restrain the squirming cat by holding the scruff and the back legs. Much easier if you have someone restraining for you while you administer the drops.

VIOLET0019
March 8th, 2008, 07:54 PM
When you're applying ear med's to a cat, the tip has to touch the cat's ear, it has to be right inside the ear, or the med's will be noneffective because the drops most likely won't be absorbed deep enough into the ear where they need to go.

You can disinfect the tip with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) before and after you give the drops. Which type of drops are you using and will you be using them on multiple cats, or just the one cat?

You can restrain the squirming cat by holding the scruff and the back legs. Much easier if you have someone restraining for you while you administer the drops.

Thank you for your reply. After speaking with the Vet today he strongly suggested to begin using Polysporin ear drops. I will be using this on my cat Ginger (I posted another question(s)today, describing the "situation" and asking for opinions and advice with regards to his "ear inflammation"( and sneezing, using Silver Sovereign and Bach Rescue Remedy cream, etc. etc.)(if you wish to read it).

Perhaps you can further explain the disinfecting process you described - as although you suggest to disinfect the tip, wouldn't the contamination go inside the tip via the hole thus contaminating the contents? I cannot understand if I wipe it AFTER using it ....... isn't it "after" it has already entered the hole and thereby contaminating the contents? ...... I just do not understand....is this a proven way, do medical people actually do this? It does not make sense to me:confused:

???????????????Thanks

Yes, I wish I could manage to hold this big strong cat down, it's just that I do not have any help, so ..........:sad:

hazelrunpack
March 8th, 2008, 08:18 PM
We have a number of dogs and occasionally we have to 'share' ear meds between them. We wipe the tips before and after with isopropyl alcohol. (I take a clean piece of old cotton dishtowel, soak a bit of it in alcohol, and use that to wipe the tip.) I wondered the same thing you did, about organisms getting into the applicator tip, but was told that the meds themselves would kill them, so they're unlikely to grow.

VIOLET0019
March 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
We have a number of dogs and occasionally we have to 'share' ear meds between them. We wipe the tips before and after with isopropyl alcohol. (I take a clean piece of old cotton dishtowel, soak a bit of it in alcohol, and use that to wipe the tip.) I wondered the same thing you did, about organisms getting into the applicator tip, but was told that the meds themselves would kill them, so they're unlikely to grow.

Thanks for your opinion.
I still just cannot believe this way of disinfecting ..... I think I will call the company and ask them what they suggest, and the more I think about it the more ** upsetting I get....those companies charge us so much for a tiny bottle, that THEY SHOULD THINK OF i.e. SUPPLYING DISPOSABLE TIPS TO USE EACH TIME.......makes sense to me!!!!!! ** i.e. Also, my 92 year old Father had a corneal transplant and needs to put drops in his eye. It is absolutely impossible for him to do this without touching the tip to i.e. his eyelash or eyelid etc...........
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..

Take care :)

VIOLET0019
March 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
How does one administer ear drops into a cat's ear without the tip touching the ear - and having a squirming cat??
I have heard that once the tip is touched it is as good as gone :( HELP?:shrug::confused::wall:

Until I speak to the company:mad::yell:.......I decided to squirt a few drops into a clean glass and then using a clean little medical syringe I pulled the drops into it and then into Ginger's ear:lightbulb:.......sort of......as he squirmed and squiggled all over the place.....so hopefully something went in!! So, I DID avoid contaminating the tip.......PHEW!!!!!!!! But I am beginning to feel a bit "neurotic"!!:wall::wall:

hazelrunpack
March 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Disposable tips would be nice, but probably unnecessary--we've never had a case of cross-contamination. The ear problems cleared up after a few days of starting the meds and didn't return. :shrug: