Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Few questions about my dog and labour

EmmaB
March 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hello
I rescued my dog about 35 days ago, when I got her I noticed her breast were larger than normal, then took her to the bet and she was pregnant. I tried to contact the people who I got her from to find out when she was in heat but they have cut off all contact with me. The vet says she only has 1 pup and she was in the last stage. She is a rotti. The last week, she has been nesting, and 3 days ago, I noticed clear discharge, I called the vet and they said that was normal. Last night she was panting and pretty restless and kept wanting to go outside to pee/poo. I thought she might have been going into labour, so I was watching her carefully, she was not straining or anything but this morning she threw up when she went outside, however she is not panting anymore and she's just being normal again. The last 10 days I have been taking her temp in the morning and night, it was pretty normal, and when it would go down, when I would take it 2 hours later, it would be back up to normal again. But yesturday and today it has stayed low. So is there such thing as false labour, and is the vomitting okay or is that a sign that sometime is wrong? What should I be looking for if something is wrong. Also, my plan was to get her fixed, and I know I could have aborted the puppy, but I plan on keeping it, so it has a home and they both will be getting fixed ASAP. So please, I love my dog very much, I rescued her from a bad home, it's not that I was careless with her. So avoid negative comments please. Any help would be great. Thanks

Rottielover
March 8th, 2008, 02:07 PM
No negative comments from me, thank you for rescuing the baby...
Now I am not a breeder, but you want to look for her temperature dropping I believe.
Take it often. If you notice distress, take her to EMG clinic.
Do you have a whelping box made for her ??
Keep warm blankets.
I hope someone with more knowledge on the subject posts soon

EmmaB
March 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks..yes she has her own room, with tons of pillows and blankets. Also, she isnt fussy about her food, which I read was another sign, but she wont eat her food, but she still wants whatever I'm eating.

CearaQC
March 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I had a similar situation. Rescued Belle and she gave birth about a week later. We didn't even really have time to get to know each other before 10 puppies came along. Everything worked out fine in the end. :D She's been a good dog and has barked at strangers when they enter the house. She never, ever barks any other time though. But I cannot say the same for Sheeba.

I don't know if it's normal for a dam to vomit. Belle did not.

She was really restless and wouldn't go poo, but kept asking to go outside. She would strain and strain and then finally I saw the mucus plug. Within 15 minutes after the mucus plug, the first pup was born. Did not see any other signaling behavior besides the restlessness and of course the refused food, but she did take water and broth. She did not seem to be in any pain whatsoever.

It may be different for other dogs. :shrug: This was my first (and last) experience with a newborn litter of pups, so I'm not an expert by any means.

Hope everything goes well! Make sure you have a good toasty room temperature for the pup. It won't have littermates if there's only one pup, and has no one to snuggle up with except mom to keep warm while sleeping. She'll want breaks from the whelping box once in a while.

Maxine
March 9th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Emma, thank you for rescuing this poor girl. I know nothing about pregnancy, but I certainly think you should call your vet for information about this. Good luck and let us know how it is going. :pawprint:

hazelrunpack
March 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Any updates, Emma?

Byrd
March 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
You won't get negative comments for rescuing a pregnant dog, it's awesome what you're doing!

I know some breeders do put the mom on puppy food later in the pregnancy and while nursing just so that she doesn't drop too much weight.

Also you could use a heating pad under some blankets for puppy to lay on while mom's not there... just watch that nothing happens (like fire), only put it on when baby is alone, they need to stay warm.

Good luck, keep us updated.

luckypenny
March 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hot water bottles wrapped in towels do the job as well. Very easy to wash up. Just make sure to not use boiling water and to change the water every few hours.

Hope she's doing well :fingerscr .