Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing me and my gang

Gail P
March 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Hi I'm new here. I live on a small farm and teach riding lessons seasonally. In the winter I sled with my dogs and I also play disc with one of my dogs and have been to a few trials. I also do a little bit of agility with the dogs. My animal family includes:

Noah, 6 year old n/m rough collie
Lightning, 3 year old n/m border collie/lab
Flash, 2 year old n/m border collie/cattle dog (? probably? He's a rescue)
Thunder, 2 year old n/m mixbreed rescue adopted with Flash (both at 3 months)
Rain (s/f) and Storm (n/m), 1 year old border collies that were born in a rescue and adopted as puppies
Flurry, 4 month old border collie, donated to my sled team by same rescue

Smudge, 14 1/2 year old s/f DLH calico cat
Cutie-Pie, 5 year old n/m DSH tabby cat

Jewel, 1 year old budgie

Honey Bunny and Funny Bunny, 7 year old pet "meat" rabbits
Chocolate Milk, 6 year old pet "meat" rabbit

Fish

Tanner, 18 year old 7/8 Arabian gelding, 15.2h
Skittles, 11 year old Arab/POA mare, 13.2h
Jazzy, 10 year old Arabian mare, 14.1h
Ben, 14 year old boarded QH/Halflinger gelding
Aries, 8 year old boarded Paing gelding

20 Laying hens + rooster
2 peacocks
seasonally about 15 meat chickens and 10 turkeys

I would post my dogsledding website where there are lots of photos but I'm not sure if that's allowed?

luckypenny
March 8th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Oh my, what a big fur, feather, and finned family :D . 7 dogs! One more and you'll be caught up to our very own Hazelrunpack. You'll be sure to receive her greetings soon.

Welcome to pets.ca Gail P.

I don't think there's any problem wtih posting the link....as long as you're not selling anything :shrug: .

hazelrunpack
March 8th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Welcome to the board, Gail P. Wow! That's quite the menagerie! :eek: And I thought we were crazy here! :D

We will, of course, need lots and lots of pictures when you're able to post! (he he Yes...of every fur- and scale-baby you can manage to get posed for the camera...:thumbs up) Hey, what can I say? We're just very demanding about photos...we're all pretty much addicted to them. :o

Looking forward to chatting with you in the forums!

CearaQC
March 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Honey Bunny and Funny Bunny, 7 year old pet "meat" rabbits
Chocolate Milk, 6 year old pet "meat" rabbit

Hiya!

Sounds like a great fur family!

We are also wanting to keep meat rabbits. I'd be very interested in talking with you. I want to know how you keep them in winter and how in the heck we could do that here. Thought about chickens too for eggs but same logistical questions that I'm having a hard time locating on the internet.

Yes I'd love to see pics. I want a horse so bad, but we have no stable or fencing for one. So I like to look at horses anyway, especially running around in snow playing in a paddock or something like the "Man From Snowy River" scene. :laughing:

Frenchy
March 8th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Holy .... that's a lot of fuzzbutts you have :laughing: can't wait to see pictures of them all ! Welcome to pets.ca !

Gail P
March 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hiya!

Sounds like a great fur family!

We are also wanting to keep meat rabbits. I'd be very interested in talking with you. I want to know how you keep them in winter and how in the heck we could do that here. Thought about chickens too for eggs but same logistical questions that I'm having a hard time locating on the internet.

Yes I'd love to see pics. I want a horse so bad, but we have no stable or fencing for one. So I like to look at horses anyway, especially running around in snow playing in a paddock or something like the "Man From Snowy River" scene. :laughing:

Our livestock all has to be pretty "rough & tough" as we don't have a barn. The horses live out 24/7 with 2 run-in sheds and dense bush for shelter and the chicken coop has no hydro for heat lamps or extra lighting (to stimulate egg production) The bunnies live in hutches in our backyard and do quite well out there. From what I researched rabbits are much more tolerant of cold than of heat. Wild rabbits are also active all winter, there are tracks all over the back of my property. Our 2 girl bunnies have an approx. 4' x 8' hutch that has a solid roof and is closed in at each end and part of one side. The rest of it is screening and they also have small boxes inside they can go into, that I put hay in for bedding (and eating). I have an old sliding glass door that I lean up against their hutch on the windy side, so it blocks the wind but lets the sun in for them to bask in. Chocolate Milk's hutch is half the size, about 4' x 4' and is attached to theirs and built the same way. The chickens out in their coop just have to tough out the cold, as do the peacocks. There is a loft over the coop that has hay in it for most of the winter, which provides some insulation, and also a lean-to hay shed at one end of the chicken coop. Before we lived here I used to rent an empty old barn that had electricity, so I'd provide a heat lamp for the chickens in the winter, and also put a light on a timer to help keep them laying in the winter months.

Here are a few pics, sorry about the lighting. My digital camera kind of sucks:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/GroupofSeven4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/GroupofSeven3.jpg

More dog pictures can be seen here My dogs/sledding photo gallery (http://racingrescues.com/photos.htm)

Ponies & dogs in a snowstorm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Our%20Horses/SkittlesJazzysnowstorm.jpg

More horse pictures here Our Horses photo album (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Our%20Horses/)

Hope posting the links is okay, not quite sure about the rules here yet

FancyAppy
March 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Welcome. Loved your horse show pics. And the dogs are great. We have a farm also. We have appaloosas.Hope to see more pics of your animals and hear some of your stories about them.

Frenchy
March 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM
What a cute bunch ! You have 3 almost identical border collies , same markings :lovestruck: love the horses pic too :thumbs up

want4rain
March 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM

new thread! new thread!! i have a bunch of chicken questions too!!

-ashley

Gail P
March 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Welcome. Loved your horse show pics. And the dogs are great. We have a farm also. We have appaloosas.Hope to see more pics of your animals and hear some of your stories about them.

Your avatar picture looks just like my neighbour's pygmy goat Gabby!

allymack
March 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM
wow! you have alot of animals:cloud9::lovestruck: Welcome to the board!
OOO, you have horses too! great pictures, most of you dogs have bordercollie in them i lvoe border collies:cloud9::lovestruck:(i own one, hehe)
i am going to go check out your website, looking forward to chatting with you in the threads.

CearaQC
March 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Awwwww You have a Lassie dog that looks just like my Bo :rip:. He lived to be 12.

Loved all your pics! I'm so envious. lol Is that you doing the jumping and barrel racing? I didn't know the snaffle bit could be used in barrel racing. Just always seen the western tack for that. :shrug: Love the horsey costumes too! So cute.

Yes please share the links. You won't get in trouble. It's just a link with lots of pictures, right? I think they only frown on self promotion for making money.

I wanna see your rabbit and chicken pens. :D What do you feed the peacocks? I didn't think they could take Canadian winters. Would be fun to have a peacock or two just for fun. I love the sounds they make. :laughing:

clm
March 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I think your camera takes fine pics. :thumbs up

Great subject matter doesn't hurt either. :laughing: Now that's a lot of pets.
All of them are beautiful too. I love all your dogs you understand, but I really love the dog standing at the back of the photo with the white tail tip, he looks so different.

Cindy

shane 123
March 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Just love your horse pictures, been looking through them 3 times now. I also would be interested in learning about chickens and rabbits, always wondered how you go about keeping them in winter. Most of the people I talk to are telling me I need an insualted chicken coop and that you can't let chickens out in the snow to pick at grain...you seem to be doing great the way you are.

Gail P
March 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Awwwww You have a Lassie dog that looks just like my Bo :rip:. He lived to be 12.

Loved all your pics! I'm so envious. lol Is that you doing the jumping and barrel racing? I didn't know the snaffle bit could be used in barrel racing. Just always seen the western tack for that. :shrug: Love the horsey costumes too! So cute.

Yes please share the links. You won't get in trouble. It's just a link with lots of pictures, right? I think they only frown on self promotion for making money.

I wanna see your rabbit and chicken pens. :D What do you feed the peacocks? I didn't think they could take Canadian winters. Would be fun to have a peacock or two just for fun. I love the sounds they make. :laughing:

It is me in most of the photos jumping and barrel racing. I know there's a shot in there too of my boarder jumping my pony, and probably some too of a student or two who did some showing with the same pony. You can use any kind of humane bit you want to barrel race, as far as I know. I'm really not a western rider, I only don western attire for the odd parade, or one or two classes at a fair. For the rest I ride english, including the games classes. Love my old Wintec Sport saddle, it's so light and comfy. I don't do so much showing now as I used to, now I'm getting more into the dog sports. Been at the horse stuff for a long time now and I turned my hobby into my job, plus my daughter doesn't have a burning passion to ride so we're concentrating much more on the dogs for our recreational activities. The summer heat has been really getting to me more and more too (I get migraines in the humid weather), so dogsledding is really appealing for many reasons. The costume classes were fun though, my daughter really enjoyed them. Our horses will wear anything (as evidenced by the Clifford and dragon costumes :laughing: )

I don't really have many pictures of rabbit or chicken pens. Here's a shot from inside the chicken coop though.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/chickencoop.jpg

And a couple from inside the bunny pens, when Rain was a little pup and checking them out.
Rain and Funny Bunny
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Rain_and_FunnyBunny.jpg

Rain and Chocolate Milk
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Rain_in_bunnybox.jpg

I just feed my peacocks the same laying mash as the chickens, although I did read that a mixture is good for them. It can include the layer, cracked corn, turkey starter or grower and cat food. They do well with a high protein diet. I've only got the 2 males, just for fun. Probably if I had hens too and was trying to raise them I'd want to give them the mixed feed. Peacocks can apparently live 15-25 years though, so I didn't want to get into breeding them. I don't have the space for a lot of them, and I'm not sure that they're the sort of bird you could sell a lot of. To pen them in you need an overhead fence. They can fly quite well, and they tend to go straight up if startled. Both of mine have escaped before, first when I underestimated their flight/jumping ability (before I covered the top), next when one of them went right up through the lightweight netting that had rotted a bit after being up for a year in the sun/cold. Now I've got plastic fence and chicken wire covering the top. Apparently some people do let them free range and pick trees to roost in, and they will also roost up on top of houses and vehicles. Thought I'd better not chance that with my neighbour having classic cars. The peacocks might have ended up being somebody's lunch. :laughing: Also, if you have several and let them free range apparently some of them will occasionally just decide to leave and find and new place to live.

Chickens and peacocks all like to sunbathe so having windows in the coop is a help to them in the winter, or opening up a door to an outdoor yard that lets the sun in. Sometimes they will go out in the snow, other times just sit in the doorway soaking up the sun.

Gail P
March 11th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I think your camera takes fine pics. :thumbs up

Great subject matter doesn't hurt either. :laughing: Now that's a lot of pets.
All of them are beautiful too. I love all your dogs you understand, but I really love the dog standing at the back of the photo with the white tail tip, he looks so different.

Cindy

That's Flash. He and Thunder were brought to Canada from New Orleans when they were tiny pups. They would have been born just a few months after Hurricane Katrina during all of the chaos and devastation down there. The shelters were overflowing and they were due for euthanasia. The people from Moosonee Puppy Rescue drove down and rescued 15 puppies and we adopted Flash and Thunder at about 3 months of age. We don't know for sure what Flash is, but we suspect he may be border collie/australian cattle dog. For sure he has ACD in him. Here are a couple of nice pics of him from on my website
http://racingrescues.com/images/a001.jpg

http://racingrescues.com/images/photos06.jpg

Flash was supposed to become another sled dog for my team, but he doesn't enjoy it. He's a very happy playful dog, but also very suspicious of anything new and different, and you really can't force a dog to pull a sled when they're just not interested. Plus, he just despises traveling so taking him out to races would have been traumatic for him. He's our happy little farm dog instead, and he doesn't mind skijoring a bit just for fun around home.

FancyAppy
March 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Wow Flash is gorgeous. loved reading about your pet family. very interesting.

Frenchy
March 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Talk about harmony !!! The dogs with the chickens and rabbits !!! Wow , amazing ! :thumbs up

CearaQC
March 13th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I've wanted to ride English, but always used Western. I haven't been on a horse in a few years though. I miss it terribly. My last experience wasn't too pleasant. The guy who owned the horse wouldn't let me tighten the saddle cinch. I told him yeah well some horses tend to puff up when they are saddled and it should be tightened before riding. He said no and we went riding anyway. Cantering through some forested area, the saddle started to slip and I was sideways on the horse hanging on for dear life and didn't want to slip all the way underneath the horse. I couldn't get the horse to stop and was entirely at the mercy of the horse. It finally decided to stop right beside a tree, and I saw my head was inches from the tree trunk. :eek: That could have been disastrous. :laughing:

I'm amazed too at all the animals in with the chickens and bunnies.

Your bunny house is on the ground? Everywhere I read it says better to have it off the ground. :confused: And the chicken coop looks like a good sized building. Is it just plywood nailed onto a wood stud frame? Any insulation at all?

More pictures please! :laughing:

Gail P
March 13th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I've wanted to ride English, but always used Western. I haven't been on a horse in a few years though. I miss it terribly. My last experience wasn't too pleasant. The guy who owned the horse wouldn't let me tighten the saddle cinch. I told him yeah well some horses tend to puff up when they are saddled and it should be tightened before riding. He said no and we went riding anyway. Cantering through some forested area, the saddle started to slip and I was sideways on the horse hanging on for dear life and didn't want to slip all the way underneath the horse. I couldn't get the horse to stop and was entirely at the mercy of the horse. It finally decided to stop right beside a tree, and I saw my head was inches from the tree trunk. :eek: That could have been disastrous. :laughing:

I'm amazed too at all the animals in with the chickens and bunnies.

Your bunny house is on the ground? Everywhere I read it says better to have it off the ground. :confused: And the chicken coop looks like a good sized building. Is it just plywood nailed onto a wood stud frame? Any insulation at all?

More pictures please! :laughing:

Ugh, wonder what the guy was thinking. Sounds like you were lucky the horse stopped when it did.

The bunny houses are on the ground. Some people like them to be elevated for ease of cleaning (droppings fall through to the ground underneath, or to a tray) I don't know if there are any other reasons to elevate them, but this has been working great for us and we've done it this way for 7 years. The pens are made from galvanized frames that were supposed to be for greenhouses. They came as a kit and you were supposed to use heavy plastic on them. Instead, we joined 2 together for "the girls" covered the top with plywood, the back, part of the side, made the front into a doorway and screened the rest. The bottom has some wood framework and screening, the original plan was to be able to move them around in the back yard and let the grass poke up through for the bunnies to eat. It didn't work out that way though, the screen size was too small so the grass would just get pushed down flat under it when we moved it, and if it's left in one place too long the grass dies underneath. It was also pretty heavy and awkward, and one we joined another one onto the side for Chocolate Milk moving them became impossible. So now they are just stationary and were the bottom screening rotted in one corner the girls like to dig down and make tunnels. Every now and then the tunnel will collapse (probably from the dog's weights running overtop), so I'll fill it in and they get to start all over again. They really enjoy their tunnel, both for keeping cool in the summer and for winter use (even though they also have the small boxes I put hay in for the winter, inside their large enclosure). The rabbit pens are right inside our backyard so even if they were to tunnel right out they're still contained in the yard unless they find a gateway to squeeze under or dig under the fence. Once or twice when the tunnel has collapsed they've been outside of their pen, but their house is their safe place and they haven't gone exploring very far from it and I've fixed things up as soon as I saw they'd found their way out. Whenever I open the door to feed and water several of the dogs go right inside with the bunnies. They will hassle them a bit, poking and sniffing but they don't to them any harm. If they could get them to run they'd chase, but they're not vicious. The bunnies are smart, if they can dive right into their boxes or tunnel to get away from the dogs they will, otherwise they just sit still and put up with the licking, sniffing and poking, rather than trying to run and being chased. Chocolate Milk is especially calm about the dogs.

The whole chicken coop is about 24' x 18'. It's divided though. When you first go in you're in the feed room/peacock pen. It's about 6' x 18' and just inside the doorway on the left there is an old freezer I store the feed in. On the right it's fenced off and has a doorway into the peacocks and there's a ladder up to the loft, plus a small little "trapdoor" to the outdoor pen. If, when you go in the first door you go straight ahead there is another door into the main 18' x 18' coop. It used to be one room back when I had about 40-50 laying hens and it had roosting poles along the back wall and nest boxes along the front. Now that I've got less hens and the peacocks have what used to be my pen for meat chickens and turkeys, we divided the main part in half, into two approx. 9' x 18' pens. In the winter the dividing door is left open for the hens to have the full run of it still, but when I get my meat chickens and turkeys they go into one of the 9' x 18' sections , which I then divide in half again with temporary fencing, so the meat chickens have 9' x 9' and the turkeys have the same. Once the meat chickens are gone (all in the freezer), the temporary fence is removed and the turkeys are given a 9' x 18' section. There's a little trapdoor at the back wall of the turkey pen, but I don't use it anymore. It's leftover from when the layers had the full run of the coop, and I used to open that little door and let them out to free range. That worked fine for a while but then we had a fox hanging around and taking them, so they've been indoor chickens ever since. I'd still like to put up another fenced area outside though and let them back out there. Once in a while I do tie open the main doors into the coop and let them run out that way. They enjoy scratching around outside. It's pretty nice inside for them too though. It's spacious and airy, there are 3 windows that I leave open all the time through the spring, summer and fall, and behind the back wall of the coop there's a big bunch of trees. They can get sun coming in from the front side, but the back side is shaded so depending on where in the coop they choose to be they can have it either way. The coop is made with a pole frame, from trees cut out of our bush. Some of the siding is old used material, some is bought siding. The front and back is partly insulated with old pink fiberglass insulation we tore out of our basement when we moved in here (it was musty). We lined the whole chicken coop with big sheets of cardboard. As I said before, there is hay stored in the loft above, and against one end in a lean-to, so that adds some insulation. All the dogs go in there with me when I'm doing chores and a couple of them like to try to herd the chickens into a corner, but that's it. If they ever act like they want to chase they get corrected right away. I always start taking my dogs out there when they're pretty young so the learn how to behave.

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome to the board. That's quite a nice looking furry family you have.

This might be a stupid question but by "meat" rabbits, are they what I think they are?

Lukka'sma
March 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Gail P
Love all the pics of the family, you have a wonderful clan there

Gail P
March 15th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Welcome to the board. That's quite a nice looking furry family you have.

This might be a stupid question but by "meat" rabbits, are they what I think they are?

They are our pet "meat" rabbits. Meaning that they are a large meat breed, typically raised for eating (as opposed to dwarfs, lops etc.), but they are pets to us. :) (Hence the reason Honey Bunny and Funny Bunny are now 7 years old and Chocolate Milk is 6 and they're not either in the freezer or producing lots of little bunnykins :laughing: )

Gail P
March 15th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the forum Gail P
Love all the pics of the family, you have a wonderful clan there

Nice pic of Lukka. Very much reminds me of "Fluffy", the dog on the farm that I boarded at in college.

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM
They are our pet "meat" rabbits. Meaning that they are a large meat breed, typically raised for eating (as opposed to dwarfs, lops etc.), but they are pets to us. :) (Hence the reason Honey Bunny and Funny Bunny are now 7 years old and Chocolate Milk is 6 and they're not either in the freezer or producing lots of little bunnykins :laughing: )

:o I just never heard of anyone referring to rabbits in that way. :D

rainbow
March 15th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Beautiful family :lovestruck: ....welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up