Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeling like the worst person on the planet

Gibbons
March 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
So as some of you may know, my husband and room mates and I are fostering two dogs. We have recently come to the conclusion that we can't continue to do so.

First reason of all- we're moving. Our landlord recently came and told us that he's selling the house and moving to Florida, so we are currently househunting. We're looking for a house that has a fenced back yard and allows animals, so that shouldn't've been a problem.

Other reason is that my husband and I agreed that my vacation time for work will be used with a puppy- i.e., I book vacation when our foster dogs get adopted and we get a puppy for my 2 weeks vacation time to work on housetraining, etc, before i go back to work (hubby and I work opposite 8 hr shifts, so someone is always home- no worries there.) The idea being that we'd do it this spring. Then we got our fosters, and decided maybe September or so would be better.

My work just told me, paraphrased, "you're getting your vacation the third week of May. No complaints, no switches, no options. You better not show up or we'll be mad"

So either we get a puppy at that time, or I wait until next year... I've already been waiting more than 9 months for my vacation time to kick in at work and I don't know if I'm willing to wait until next March (when vacation booking begins).

Obviously I didn't think fostering through well enough. I somehow thought it would be temporary (3-4 months, tops) but now I'm realizing our fosters could be around for awhile - which breaks my heart, because they are amazing. I'm a basket case even thinking about bringing them back, but it feels like I either foster and never get a dog of my own, or I don't foster.

I COULD have two foster dogs and a puppy.. I just feel like that is stretching myself way too thin, considering we will have just moved and everything else.

I'm a totally stressed out mess right now, and I don't know what to do. :sad:

Anyone have any ideas?

Frenchy
March 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

Yes but you might not like it .... I think right now , top priority are your fosters. You are their family until they get adopted. They don't have anyone else :sad: The puppy can wait .... and lots of people get puppies even when they're working. Not an ideal situation , but doable. :shrug:

BUT , if someone within your rescue can foster your 2 fosters , I guess you could transfer them to another family. :sad:

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Have you thought about adopting your fosters? :shrug: If they're amazing and they're working out for you, what better dogs could you find? Puppies are lot of hard work--might be better to wait a few years till you're totally settled in at the new house. :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
March 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I think I'm with Frenchy. Those two foster dogs should be your priority right now. There will be plenty of puppies around in another year - every rescue will tell you that. Sorry you failed to think this through in advance, but try to think of these fosters first - to them you are their entire world right now! Please don't let them down again like their last humans did.

Gibbons
March 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
We have thought about adopting them, but they don't fit that well with our long-term plans and lifestyle. They are great dogs- but not what we had in mind as permanent additions. We are very active, they are very not.

I guess if I had thought about it more, I would have realized fosters come first. It was just the sudden realization that what I've been planning and waiting for, for 9 months, may not happen like I'd planned it. Besides, getting a dog now isn't THAT big of a deal- I've already got 2!

I guess I just needed someone to tell me what I already knew- I'm being a selfish moron.

Frenchy
March 7th, 2008, 11:24 PM
You can't predict the future , you never know when the perfect family will come up and adopt them. Might happen before you know it ... might not but we never know. :goodvibes: :fingerscr

luckypenny
March 8th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm being a selfish moron.

Nah, it's all a learning experience. Had I known years ago what I do now, I may have done a lot of things different....then again, probably not. These pups came into your life for a reason. You have the whole future for a new puppy but these guys need you right now. You'll see, everything that comes around goes around. You'll be rewarded tenfold for your good deeds ;) .

14+kitties
March 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Y'know, that's the amazing thing about puppies. They make more every day. These 2 wonderful fosters you have been looking after for quite some time now have taken you over for theirs. They think you are the best thing going. I think from sounds of things you have come to that realization yourself.
Preplanning may mean success but there is such a thing as being able to adjust your planning and still be successful. ;) That's what makes the world go 'round.