Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training my Miniate Daschund

Chibi
March 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I am a brand new pet owner. Sure, I've had dogs all my life but my parents took care of the training. I'm 19 and have taken time off work just to bond with my puppy and see if I can't get him on the road to being housebroken.
I have been very diligent in taking him out whenever he eats, or wakes up, or plays. I have him on a feeding schedule and he won't eat much, so I try to get him to eat 2-3 times a day. He has only had a few accidents and I think they have all been my fault, haven't been watching him or taken him out in time. It's only been a week, but I want to make sure I am on the road to success.
I talked to a dog trainer and with her advise, even if I find a pee spot that is a few minutes old, I will pick him up and show it to him, make him smell it so he knows it's his (I don't rub his nose in it though) give him a smack and tell him that it's bad and take him outside and make him sit in the grass (I hate making him cry, I usually make my boyfriend do the punishing, lol).
Is repetition really key? If I take him out and he never has an accident is he going to learn to signal me to take him outside?

He is almost 10 weeks old and is beginning to bite and chew. He likes to chew my brand new duvet!!! I give him a smack but I don't think I smack him hard enough because it barely phazes him and he goes right back to chewing. I don't want to throw him in his crate because that will teach him it's a bad place for bad doggies.

I do have him pretty much crate trained. He'll lay in it during the day and won't cry when I put him in it at night. I have it up on my bed so that if he gets really sleepy he can lay in there if he doesn't want to lay with me.

Is there any point where he should know his name? How long does that take? I think he is starting to get it. His name is Guinness, registered as Guinness Draft, lol.

Any help, tips or suggestions would be great.

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
First off, smacking is absolutely not necessary. Patience and consistency will be much more useful in teaching your dog what's acceptable and what isn't.

For the housebreaking, if you catch your pup in the act, make a correction by making a "anh anh" sound or something similar, then take your pup outside to finish. Praise him profusely when he goes outside.

Your pup doesn't connect having peed in the house to the correction if you don't catch him in the act. If you don't catch your pup in the act, just clean up the mess and let it go. Make sure you use a deodorizer made specifically for urine. Some cleaning liquids, such as ammonia, just make the problem worse--and unless the spot is deodorized, your pup will want to pee there again because of the odor.

When he goes outside as he's supposed to, praise him. Pick a word that you say as he's peeing and he'll begin to associate that word with the act and pee on command when you go out.

If you managed to get him out 100% of the time to pee in the yard, he'd still learn to signal you--if you were 100% perfect on the timing, it likely means you're picking up his signals. :D It's not likely to happen right away, though, so be prepared for mistakes...

As for chewing, make sure he has plenty of safe toys to chew on and when you catch him chewing on your duvet, make your corrective noise and distract him with an appropriate toy. If you can close off the bedroom to him so as to remove the temptation of the duvet, that would be helpful, too. :D Again, consistency will pay off. Eventually, he'll learn that the duvet is not for chewing.

You'll find that when he gets to be the age of 4 - 6 months, he'll have a 'reversion'. He'll have started teething and the urge to chew will be irresistable. But grab hold of your patience and be consistent and eventually, even the teething stage will pass. :D

SnowDancer
March 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Dachshunds are notoriously hard to train. At 10 weeks you probably don't know your pup's temperament as yet - but the more Alpha, the harder to train. As you have already been told, you should never hit a dog - and especially do not hit a Dachshund - the little darlings have enough problems with their fragile neck and back discs. Bladders aren't so big either. Dachshunds absolutely love food so I don't think it will be too long before you are worried about weight gain. And don't think that because food is on the counter that the little angel won't be able to reach it - just has to push a chair over. I would suggest that when full weight is reached you use a harness to help with the pulling and it is easier on the back. Also if you are handy, build ramps to the bed and furniture - and yes, I have no doubt that puppy will soon be in command of the bed. Be careful with strangers until you are sure of temperament. My 2 Alphas were extremely protective of me. If you are considering Pet Insurance, perhaps look into Vet Insurance - it is a Cdn. company and when I took it out on our American Eskimo in 2004 they were covering Dachshund disc disease - don't know if they still are, but since I know how much the surgery costs, might be something to look into. This company did not exist when my 2 guys had surgery. Hope to see some pictures - I love Dachshunds.

chico2
March 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
OMG,this is a tiny little puppy,please do not smack him,smacking any animal,be it cat/dog or whatever,will only make them fearful and nervous,please don't:fingerscr

Chibi
March 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I have been told by everyone I know with dogs to give him a smack when he is bad, not hard but enough that it startles him. I don't want to make him nervous, but I want him to listen.
Another method I have read about is to yell, and then flip him onto his back and get your face up close to his, show your teeth and growl "NO", because that is what the Alpha dog would do in a pack. Maybe this would be a better alternative to spanking him? I really hate to do it, he's not big and strong like a big dog, I don't want to hurt him.

Earlier today I fed him and took him outside, and he wouldn't go - Spring is here and all the sticks and grass distracts him, I think. So I brought him in and almost immediately he assumed that number 2 position. I scooped him up and yelled "No! Bad dog!" while running (he went as we were running) and I tossed him in the grass anyways. Then i crated him while I had a shower and I let him out because he was good and quiet when I got out, laid some towels on the bed and got dressed. Just as I was finishing he lifted his leg and piddled a bit on the towel, I yelled at him again and he stopped, picking up and gave him a very light smack - I thought if I hit him he'd pee everywhere - and ran him outside. He wouldn't finish. I bring him in, and put him down again, I'm being nice to him playing with him, and then he runs away behind this big cat scratcher and assumes that position again, but he is watching me, and hiding.

I think we've given him some kind of mixed message and he doesn't want to go in front of me, either in or outside the house. :confused:

Here is a picture of my little 'Angel':
http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v215/234/90/512537602/n512537602_707352_4840.jpg
http://photos-602.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v203/234/90/512537602/n512537602_700550_3295.jpg

chico2
March 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I am not an experienced dog-owner,I have only cats,but what you say,"everyone is saying"is wrong,you are much better off not listening to these people and instead stick around here,for good sound puppy advice.
We have tons of very knowledgable dog-people,Hazel and Snowdancer certainly beeing a couple of them.
Look at him as the baby he is,he is only 10 weeks old,he will have accidents,as do most puppies.
He is a sweetheart btw,please do not punish him:pray:

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Smacking and tossing him into the grass are only going to get him hurt, not teach him what is appropriate and what isn't. Take into consideration his size and his age and have patience. Consistency and patience are your best friends.

Chibi
March 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
When I say 'toss' I don't mean I throw him. I put him down. I suppose I should have been more clear. :laughing:

So if I catch him and he finishes up I should tell him 'NO. BAD.' and take him outside, or no? Just let him wander away and give me those "Don't be mad at me Mommy" eyes? Or bring him outside and stand there and tell him to "Go Pee" even if nothing is going to happen?

What I have started doing is if he doesn't go he gets put into his crate for 5-10 minutes, and then we try again and repeat until he does his thing. I have read that this is a very effective way to get him to go. I called my Aunt who has two mini Daxies of her own and she agreed, saying you just can't spank a dog this small. Luckily we have only been doing it for a day or so, so hopefully no harm done.

MIA
March 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Here are the best instructions I know:

http://minpins.mgbeng.com/training/housebreaking.html

Frenchy
March 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
she agreed, saying you just can't spank a dog this small.

You don't spank a dog , ANY size ! You just don't spank a dog (or a cat) !!! And you don't yell at them , and you don't make them smell their urine , I don't know where you got these infos , but please , stop reading them !

Please try positive reinforcement.

SnowDancer
March 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
...what everyone else has said PLUS do not flip a Dachshund over on to his back - a recipe for disaster. I have to ask if your aunt's Dachshunds have experienced neck/back disc disease - I would find this out fast. If they haven't, then they are very lucky. I strongly suggest you speak with your vet to get a very clear understanding of what you could be facing even if you are very careful, as I was. Dachshunds do not respond well to yelling - actually it can cause them to become defensive. Dachshunds are very big dogs in small bodies - with big dog personalities and do not recognize that physically they are small. They are very cute dogs which is why people often adopt them and then discover the reality. My first guy was in 4 homes before we adopted him at age 1 - very Alpha - I miss him terribly. We were the right type of parents for him and for our last Alpha - similar situation. At one time we had 4 Dachshunds at one time, but the others were more mild mannered - but still they were Dachshunds. Your dog is very young - am a bit surprised that the breeder let the pup go that soon.

Chibi
March 8th, 2008, 12:53 AM
So when the dog is bad I am not supposed to be stern or sound angry when I tell him "No! bad dog!"? I understand not wanting to hit a dog or rub his nose in it, but there still needs to be some dominance. I can't just give him cookies when he does something good and not do anything when he does something wrong. I don't understand. I am getting so many mixed messages, but I have had dogs my whole life and have done a TON of research, and not one trainer or website has told me I can't yell "Hey!" or "No!" if I catch him messing on the carpet.

He hasn't been displaying any tempermant issues. He was the smallest and quietest of the litter (not a runt, just smaller) and was more into cuddling with a toy, his Mom, or a person than romping around with his brothers. He doesn't bark at strangers just sits by my feet and watches. He follows me around constantly, never barks or growls, nothing. He is about ten weeks old now and is very mild mannered. We had him crate trained (he had never used a crate before) in 2 days. We plan to have him work with a proffessional obedience trainer once he has had all of his shots, probably in May. =)

SnowDancer
March 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
You have to use a firm, but calm voice - no yelling. We now have an Eskimo and Eskies do not respond to yelling or raised voices either. Both the Dachshund and the Eskimo breeds (and many others) have a built-in tolerance for what they deem acceptable treatment. Having dogs all of your life does not prepare one for a very young Dachshund - unfortunate that breeder did not keep him for a few more weeks. As far as temperament goes, he is falling you around which he will most likely continue to do throughout his lifetime, but only time will tell whether he will be Alpha, Beta, etc. I know they are trying to breed out some of the characteristics I love the most about these guys - mainly the Alpha temperament, but mine were benevolent Alphas and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I would prefer they concentrate on the back issues - too long a back causes all sorts of problems. I was very serious about the ramps - better than steps obviously -and I would strongly discourage the pup from using stairs - carry up and down. Disc disease will happen if it is going to - despite every measure you might take - but there are ways to try and limit the chances. I was careful with my guys but we still went through major surgery with both of them. If you can get Dachshunds for Dummies that is a reasonably good read - I read it after having several Dachshunds, mostly for interests sake since nothing can happen with a Dachshund that I haven't lived through.

Chibi
March 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I don't scream at him, but I raise my voice and don't sound happy. I'm not sure what you mean by a firm voice, but he stops whatever he is doing when I use it.
I have been trying to teach him "Nice" when it comes to him nipping or getting rough when we play, and he seems to understand that. I shriek "Ow! Ow! Not nice! Be nice!" and stop playing immediately, just as a mother dog would do. He'll come up to me and lick me to show me he is nice and I'll say "Good nice, very nice." and resume the game. And he seems to be getting it. =)

Yesterday just seemed to be a stubborn day for him, but he has been alright today. No accidents so far, and we're going to be going for a good walk shortly.

Something I am concerned about is the way he eats. I know he is a little dog and won't eat much, but I am trying to get him on a schedule of eating and he will usually munch a few mouthfuls and then be done, but then when I feed him again later he is actually hungry. I don't want him to feel starved but I don't want to leave the food out all day for his convenience, both for his weight and to help potty train him.

He will lift his leg if he is gonna pee in the house, but will squat when we are outside. Is that maybe because of the grass? He lifted his leg once outside, but hasn't again. Weird.

I will be checking out some dog books shortly. My Aunt highly suggests "The dog whisperer", but I will look at some other Daxie books too.

hazelrunpack
March 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Wow, 10 weeks is pretty early to be lifting his leg.

SnowDancer
March 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Firm means calm. Picture someone tyring to politely give you a message without sounding harsh. It is all about the delivery and body language. Re the food, Dachshunds are insatiable - before we had Dachshunds, we had a Beagle, who I thought was the gourmand to meet all gourmands, until the Dachshunds. A nightmare because it is essential to keep a Dachshund at normal - actually a pound or so under doesn't hurt to provide that wiggle room. I would look at Dachshund books. I did buy at Christmas a book called My Smart Puppy - although my Eskimo is about to turn 4, he will be a puppy until the very end. I really like the authors' approach - they actually explain that if you do X, Y will happen instead of just saying "don't do this". Re the food again, at Toronto's dog show 2 years ago I ran into a group of Dachshunds with their parents and they were all discussing their dogs' sensitive stomachs! Huh?? My guys could eat anything. I had to say hello to the Dachshunds - no matter how Alpha, thankfully, they all gravitate towards me and I need that since I no longer have a little darling - and was very surprised to hear this. One person told me she had had Dachshunds her entire life and her current dog - this would have been 2006 - was the first to have a sensitive stomach, so again maybe a breeding issue. Food and temperament. I really miss my guys.

t.pettet
March 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
If you want to help your pup understand the house training process then you should have him in an area like the kitchen with a baby gate. If he hasn't free-run of the house then there are no puddles everywhere, yelling or hitting. Put his crate in there with him, some toys and vigilantly take him outside every couple of hours to one designated pee spot and reward with affection and a small treat once he's gone. You can move his crate to beside your bed at night so he'll feel less lonely.

Chibi
March 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Would it be too forward to ask what happened to your furry friends?

My last dog would have been a Jack Russel Terrier, I've had 3 in my life. It was a breed that was very different from anything we had gotten before, but my parents took care of the training, all of which included a smack and some yelling. I try not to yell at my dog, though sometimes I might if I just catch him doing something out of the corner of my eye and he surprises me. Is he really going to understand he is being bad if I am talking to him in a reasonable tone? I dunno if maybe my dog is just a little slow... But he doesn't even seem to get praise. My voice will be high pitched and happy, and I'll rub him and tell him he's good and nice, and he doesn't get frisky or excited like other dogs I've had. Sometimes he will ignore me and keep sniffing in the grass, lol.

Chibi
March 8th, 2008, 08:33 PM
If you want to help your pup understand the house training process then you should have him in an area like the kitchen with a baby gate. If he hasn't free-run of the house then there are no puddles everywhere, yelling or hitting. Put his crate in there with him, some toys and vigilantly take him outside every couple of hours to one designated pee spot and reward with affection and a small treat once he's gone. You can move his crate to beside your bed at night so he'll feel less lonely.

My kitchen is sort of awkwardly positioned in the house. Picture a rectangle, but the two front sides are one, and there is just a floating wall in the middle. Make sense? It's the only linoleum room in the house and it's not closed in (I don't want to lock him in the bathroom. :yuck:) It's not really the carpets I am worried about, they need to be cleaned anyways, I just want him to learn that we need to go outside.
Also, my front door is on a landing, where you go up about 6 stairs to the living area, or down six to get to the bedrooms. If I were to hang a bell on the banister on the railing could I teach him to ring it when wants to go outside so I can carry him down? I know stairs are not good for these dogs, and I want to limit him using them as much as possible, although I know I can't cut him off completely.

t.pettet
March 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Sorry I don't understand your ?, 'what happened to my furry friends'? The reason I mentioned keeping him in the kitchen is of course because of the ease of cleaning the floor but also because most kitchens have a back door with quick access to outside which in time he will associate with visiting the pee/poo area and eventually paw at that door to go potty, plus there is usually human activity in the kitchen so he wouldn't feel isolated. A puppy won't differentiate whether the carpets are freshly cleaned or dirty, he'll go when and where the urge hits so you want to break any habit of him thinking he can pee/poo anywhere he happens to be. There are wall mounted elongated pet enclosures/exercise pens that will give him a small amount of space thus restricting his elimination area.

Chibi
March 10th, 2008, 02:49 AM
The question was meant for SnowDancer, sorry. =)

I was thinking about perhaps an exercize pen or something that I could set up in the kitchen, like one of the circular ones. I would still have to take him outside for him to go in the right place. Our yard isn't fenced so he can't be outside on his own, either, and apparently this city has a high rate of dognapping when it comes to little dogs, so he can't be unsupervised. :shrug:

Missy&Jasper
March 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I was reading your thread and I thought I would tell you about my experience of Mini Daschunds and hopefully pass on some good advice on how best to discipline them.

I've got a 4 year old boy mini dasch, who I got from a rescue centre. He had become extremely aggressive with his previous owners and they just could not have him any more. This may seem unbelievable looking at your cute little bundle of fun, but when I first got Jasper about 7 months ago, he was very scary and intimidating (I have got the scars to prove it.).

I totally believe that it was the way that he was disciplined by his previous owner that turned him like this. Daschunds are very courageous, and were bred to take on much larger animals like Badgers (standard) and ferrets (mini). so when Jasper was challenged in an aggressive way, he would not back down - it's his nature.

I noticed the reaction you got when you said you had tried smacking, and I totally agree that you should never smack a dog. You've got to be cleverer than that!

When I first got Jasper he was scared of almost everything and this fear transferred into aggression. To begin with I could only stroke him for 3 seconds, for fear of him turning on me. I couldn't groom him. I would take him for a walk and he would freeze at the bottom of my gate and attack any dog (regardless of size) that may pass. If any strangers came into the house he would roll over and urinate. If he didn't urinate he would snap at them. Obviously I didn’t know him from a puppy, but there must have been some thing that triggered this fear.

To a mini daschund everything is 10 times bigger, louder and scarier, which is why it is even more important that they trust and respect, which you get through discipline not punishment!

When I first got him, Jasper used to steal things to chew (this probably started like your puppy chewing on your duvet). When I tried to take it back from him he would attack - and mean it! In this situation there is no way that you can stand down and let him think he's won.

In the notes I got from his previous owner they would trade treats with him, but Daschunds are extremely clever, and will know how to manipulate you. Jasper started stealing things just to have this stand off, knowing he would get something in return.

Punishment would reinforce this mistrust and aggression – why would he give up the shoe if all he got in return was a smack, and yet trading was rewarding his behaviour. I had to use discipline!

When ever Jasper got anything he shouldn't I would use my presence to make him back off. If he stole a shoe for example I would stand on part off the shoe - not moving the shoe away and not touching him - and gradually I would claim the entire shoe. I would then make him back right off (again not touching him) just using my presence. I suppose like I was guarding my territory. There was no need to say anything; my body language told him what he needed to do.

You only really need verbal clues once the behaviour conditioned, before that it won’t mean anything, and may even confuse the situation.

In the early days I also used a broom to claim the object and then the territory surrounding it, mainly for my safety (it was better for him to bite the broom than my foot), but I never used it to attack him!

He still steals things, but he now understands the cue "leave it" and backs away.

By backing away himself, he chose the right option. I could have dragged him away by the lead but Jasper would not have learned anything.

Jasper was also a very fussy eater at the start. This is a very simple remedy, if he doesn’t eat it take it away. Healthy dogs will never starve themselves. You’re the pack leader and you choose when he eats, by leaving food your dog is trying to take some control back.

I would also avoid rubbing your dog’s nose into his “accidents”. Dog’s live in the moment, and if you find a puddle that he made 3 minutes ago, he’s not going to associate your reaction and punishment to something he’s probably forgotten about. He’s just going to think your being mean.
It’s not the easiest way, but the best way to toilet train is to prevent and encourage, rather than react and scold. I don’t know if you go out with him when he toilets, but give him loads of praise. Some dogs can even be trained to go on command – this would be something to achieve.

All the best
x

Chibi
March 18th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi, and thanks for your story. That poor thing must have gone through some kind of Hell to have been conditioned to be that mean. How is he doing now? Does he let you get close to him? Do you have any pictures - I wonder if he looks like my Guinness? :)
Guinness has received two very light smacks in his life, the first day we tried it, and we stopped as soon as I got the feedback here on this board. I never yell, unless he bites me hard and catches me by surprise, and then it really is more than a yelp than anything.
We go out with him every time he goes outside. Our yard is not fenced, and Lethbridge is said to have a bit of a dognapping problem, so he is always supervised (though we didn't leash him when he was small - he never seems interested in the outside world, but we probably should start). He gets a TON of praise when he goes potty outside, though he usually is too busy sniffing in the grass to pay attention, and if I am taking him out in time I usually cut up a snausage treat into several pieces so they are bite sized and I can control how much he gets to snack on.
If I catch him having an accident, I firmly say "No. Bad. Outside. Outside." I sometimes even go so far as to pick it up, show it to him, and bring it outside to the spot I want it in. Other than that, I try not to let him see me clean it up at all. If I find an accident, I will usually ignore it, but if I can tell he just walked away from it I will bring him close enough just to smell it and say "Outside. Outside."
When he has something in his mouth I don't want him to chew, I will grab it but not pull, just repeat "Drop it. Drop it." And look him in the face. He usually gets the point in about 2 seconds, unless he is feeling really playful.
as for his eating, he probably eats 2/3 cups of kibble a day, when he really should be eating at least 1 cup, and as a Daschie, as much as I will allow. I don't think he likes his food (Nutram) so once the bag is a bit emptier, I will go and buy some different stuff.

Other than that, he is crate trained (for the most part) and leash trained, and will Sit if I ask him to (He has to sit for me to put the leash on, and for me to put the food dish down).

Shabby
March 18th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Chibi, please-please do not smack or hit your baby. I grew up with Daschunds as my mother firmly believed the only dogs in the world were these precious, looong, short and often misunderstood dogs. I also had my own daschund (Buster) for 12 years until he passed away.

Yes, as someone else mentioned, these dogs are very stubborn and harder to train but if trained correctly, will bring you years of immense pleasure and joy.

Consistency and repetition is the only way and your staying power will need to be more than that of your new little buddy! Like babies, puppies are unpredictable until a routine and schedule has been established. Once you pick your feeding times, stick to them so you'll know, and puppy will know that once he's eaten, he'll be taken outside to "do his business". If accidents occur, that you catch, use whatever word you've chosen ("anh, anh" as hazel suggested), take him out to finish and praise, praise, praise, praise. If you don't catch the accidents, let them go, clean up and move on.

The bottom line...you need to concentrate and praise, praise, praise for the successes and briefly "anh, anh" the negatives and stick to repetition, consistency and clear rules.

Good luck, your new baby IS going to be pulse of your life!

Chibi
March 18th, 2008, 05:23 PM
We have a no spankings policy, and I yell at my boyfriend if he yells at the dog. :laughing: We don't want a nervous dog, or an aggressive one. The training is coming along, housebreaking won't be a two week thing and I know that, but he is good in his crate, on a leash, and usually listens when I tell him to leave stuff alone (unless it's anything he finds in the grass - then he just runs from me so I won't take it away). He's a smart dog and training is going quickly enough. I am a patient person, and I'm also not the type who will just bend to his every whim and give him treats for nothing. We are taking him to obedience classes in May.

He doesn't have a problem with submissive peeing, which makes me very happy. I remember the first time I left him alone at home in his crate for the first time, when I came back and took him out he just climbed onto my shoulder and wanted to burrow into my hair and whine. :D He is a happy, balanced dog.

Shabby
March 18th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Good for you! No yelling, hitting, smacking or spanking! Well, maybe the boyfriend the odd time. :laughing:

Take care and keep up the good work!

Chibi
March 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks. =)

Missy&Jasper
March 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
It seems like your really on the right road, and you’re gonna love having Guiness. Jasper is a completely different dog now – you asked if he lets me close now, and it made me laugh because he’s sitting here snoring on my lap while I write this. He totally trusts me now and wants to spend all of his time around me. At night I have to shut him downstairs because he will climb my very steep stairs just to be near me.

The final part of his “rehabilitation” was getting him a companion, just to give him that extra bit confidence and to teach how to act like a dog (I don’t think he’d ever even sniffed another dogs rear before) and he is so happy now.

Some people said that daschunds are hard to train. I found Jasper to be the complete opposite, he is very trainable! I took him to puppy classes about 2 months after I got him, and it was a great way to build up trust. I’ve taught Jasper loads of tricks, to keep his mind sharp, and he can even pick up litter and put it in a mini bin. I used clicker training with him and it is the bees knees!

I would definitely advise you to take him to classes as soon as you can, to get him socialise and also for you to meet fellow dog lovers.

I only use a collar and leash on Jasper, because he walks to heel very well. With a small dog that pulls you should really use a harness, but I found it very difficult to get one that would stay on. Because their legs are so small they can sometimes step out of them.

I woujld add a pic but I don't know how (ha ha)

Hope everything goes well
x

Chibi
March 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
He doesn't pull at all on the leash, and with his long hair I thought it would look funny if he wore a harness, so he has a little red collar. The trainer we are looking at wants him to have at least his second set of shots and bordatella, but by the time her next class begins he'll have his final set by then. I don't need him to be a perfect showdog - I like a dog to just be a dog, but I'd like him to be obedient, come when I call, sit, lie down, and all that jazz. I think she does clicker training too. :D

I am so glad to hear that Jasper is doing fine, and has a little friend. I really think it's wonderful when people can take what most would call a "broken animal' and give them the chance to show the world that they are still just a dog who wants to do dog things - eat, sleep, love and be loved. Good for you. One day we want to adopt someone who needs a good family, but we've got enough on our plates just with this puppy now. There's a special spot in paradise for people like you, I think. :thumbs up