Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bleeding

ursula
March 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
:sorry:that my first posting is a cry for help
My 3 year old Bernese Mountain Dog started bleeding from his gums...
He is at the vet and the y started him on Steroids yesterday, because of his low pleated count...he is not reacting , but his red blood cells are still good... hsi eyes re also red with blood right now...They excluded also internal injuries, I don't know what to do...

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
It sounds like he's where he needs to be right now, ursula. :grouphug: Did the vet have any theories? Do they suspect something genetic? Disease-related? Is there a chance your Berner got into a blood thinner, like warfarin (common in rat and mouse poison?)

:grouphug: I'm sorry you're joining under such tough circumstances.

ursula
March 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
thanks for posting No there is no way he could havegotten into ratpoisining etc...there are also tiny little spots on his body, and he never left our property

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I hope he's better soon :grouphug: What did the vet think about what's going on?

ursula
March 7th, 2008, 03:18 PM
They are not sure.....ticks? genetic disorder?

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Doesn't sound tick-borne...but I suppose anything is possible with ticks. What are they doing for him besides the steroids?

ursula
March 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Keeping him quiet...he is eating and trinking...But they say, if he gets apump or is getting a pump, he will bleed internally to d... they testing his blood every 4 hours...

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry..."a pump"? I'm afraid I don't know what that is.

Are they giving him any clotting factors?