Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Im Back From Apsley!

OC_Spirit
March 7th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Yes Im back from my second (and last for the season) race. But with pictures of course! Enjoy!

The start!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleya.jpg

Coming up a steep hill (the whole 4 miles was VERY hilly with some very "fun" turns). BTW, notice how snowy I am? A tight corner two hills before this one, I dumped the sled and got dragged for a bit before I was able to roll myself off the trail into deeper snow to stop the dogs)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleym.jpg

Right after my race was the "Kid and Mutt" race. I was staying with a friend of mine who has a son young enough to enter. He was behaving sooooo well all day at the race I decided to enter him and Ronan. Not only was this his first race, this was his first time ever on a dogsled and he got 3rd place! Go Darien!

Scouting out the competition, getting a bit worried

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyk.jpg

But he puts on a confident smile for his fans!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyj.jpg

*more*

OC_Spirit
March 7th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Darien concentrating hard not to tip the sled, but this is all just fun and games for Ronan! (check out how deep the snow is! In some spots it was right up to Ronan's belly)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyl.jpg

Coming down the home stretch!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyb.jpg

OC and Kena pooped after the race

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyg.jpg

Tiku waving "hi" to all her adorning fans

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleye.jpg

*more*

OC_Spirit
March 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Kena lost in thought

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyc.jpg

Ronan handsome as always

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyf.jpg

Introducing, Cricket! Next year's up and coming lead dog! (but for now he's too busy looking cute and riding the sled rather than pulling it lol)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyi.jpg

Ronan singing farewell to winter

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/oc_spirit_pics2/Apsley%202008/Apsleyh.jpg

Love4himies
March 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Beautiful pictures, beautiful dogs.

Cricket, hehe, looks like a sweetie, is he your puppy-in-training?

OC_Spirit
March 7th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Beautiful pictures, beautiful dogs.

Cricket, hehe, looks like a sweetie, is he your puppy-in-training?

I wish! LOL I dont have time for a puppy right now >_< He belongs to my friend Bailey though who owns Kena, Tiku, and if you remember from other sledding posts that I have made, Mochi.

Chris21711
March 7th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Just great photos. My daughter went to the Cannington races, was you there? She would like to get Iggy into sledding, but cannot find anywhere near enough to get some kind of instruction. She was wondering if you could give her some direction as to where she might go. We live about 1 hour north of Toronto.

JanM
March 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Great shots! It looks like you and the puppies had a great time..

OC_Spirit
March 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Chris, yes I was there!!!! Check this thread out for pictures from the race http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49951 Did she take any pictures? If so I would love to see them and any mushers who may be in them I'm sure would love to see the pictures too!

Gail P
March 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Beautiful shots of your dogs. Cricket is so cute too, but then I have a thing for border collies (my dogs are mostly border collies and bc mixes).

I've never used the pets.ca site before, but I came across it via your pictures from the Cannington race. I was searching to see if I could find any site where the photographers who were at the races may have posted their pics. Do you know of anyplace they are available for viewing? I have a card from one of the photographers and emailed him to ask, but no response so far.

Congrats on your 2 races. Hope to see you next season. By then I'll have my 4-dog team ready to race (at least that's the plan - this year I just entered the 2-dog classes at Cannington and Apsley, and my daughter does the kid & mutt)

KimandAutumn
March 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
wow that looks like so much fun. i love the pic of ronan singing. :)

growler~GateKeeper
March 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Great shots OC :thumbs up

So much fun! :D And a cute puppy too! :lovestruck:

Great Job Darien :thumbs up And a special Great Job :pawprint: to Ronan for the extra fun race :cloud9:

OC_Spirit
March 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Gail, Will Pridham was a photographer at Cannington and Apsley (the guy that was handing out the 8X11 sized pictures to various mushers from Kearney and Cannignton) and he has pictures up, I will dig up the site and PM it to you! Did you take any pictures or have you come across any other places with pictures? Facebook has some if you search for various mushers. Me (Renata) Glenn, Linda and Sue are a few I can think off hand that have pictures up on facebook. I wish I paid more attention to the 2-dog races. For both races at that time I was already spent and was using remaining energy to prepare the food for the dogs. How did you enjoy the hilly trails at Apsley? How about that one blind corner!!! And the head-on passing :P Cannington was fun fast trail except on the second day when the cornfield was all mud and snow, tons of fun though!!!!!

BTW Gail. I tried to PM you but it wouldnt let me for some reason *shrugs* Feel free to e-mail if you want at shygirl_16@hotmail.com

clm
March 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Beautiful pictures. You have gorgeous dogs.
My mother is from Apsley. It's a sweet little town with lots of beautiful lakes in the area. We had a cottage there for years. I still have a lot of relatives up there. It's nice to see they have some good winter activities like your sled dog race there.
I believe the Alaskan Malamute rescue league is located there as well.

Cindy

Gail P
March 8th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Gail, Will Pridham was a photographer at Cannington and Apsley (the guy that was handing out the 8X11 sized pictures to various mushers from Kearney and Cannignton) and he has pictures up, I will dig up the site and PM it to you! Did you take any pictures or have you come across any other places with pictures? Facebook has some if you search for various mushers. Me (Renata) Glenn, Linda and Sue are a few I can think off hand that have pictures up on facebook. I wish I paid more attention to the 2-dog races. For both races at that time I was already spent and was using remaining energy to prepare the food for the dogs. How did you enjoy the hilly trails at Apsley? How about that one blind corner!!! And the head-on passing :P Cannington was fun fast trail except on the second day when the cornfield was all mud and snow, tons of fun though!!!!!

BTW Gail. I tried to PM you but it wouldnt let me for some reason *shrugs* Feel free to e-mail if you want at shygirl_16@hotmail.com

From what I read in the rules here when I signed up, I don't think PM's are available to new members for a few days, but you can reach me at info@racingrescues.com if you want to. I did come across Will Pridham's site before reading your message, I saw that he's got some pics of you on there, plus a few people I know who were in the 2-dog class at Apsley, but I didn't see any shots of my dogs there. I emailed the other photographer, Jim Macken but no reply so far. My webmasters are friends of mine who go to the races with me and they're always taking pictures. Trouble is I don't see lots of them so I'm not always sure what shots they got. They just update my site now and then and put new ones up. They're mostly of our dogs, but they throw in some other shots now and then as well.

Those hills at Apsley are killer, I was so out of breath from running up them trying to help the dogs. It was worth it though, my guys got me into first place :thumbs up They ran well but it was also partly due to sheer luck. We went out 3rd but both teams in front had some problems and so I caught them both at the turnaround and got by them there. Otherwise I would have had more trouble. Mine have only raced a few times (last year at Apsley, the 2-mile youth class at Haliburton this year with a 12 year old neighbour, the 3/4 mile loop at Cannington and Apsley this year). In every race except Cannington they've had a bad experience with passing (getting snapped at, bitten etc.) and now they're having issues about both passing head-on and on by. I need to do a lot of work with them to build confidence to get them ready for next year. I may not try Kearney or Apsley next year since they both have head-on passing. I'll have to see how the training goes and they'll be starting with a loop trail at Haliburton. It's the first race of the season that I'd be going to and it's practically in my backyard, only about 10 minutes away from me. My team will be my 2 dogs I ran this year, plus my 2 border collie pups that are turning a year old next week. My daughter will also probably try the 2 mile youth race at Haliburton with Lightning (my lead dog) and our newest pup that's now 4 months old. She's been doing really well in the kid & mutt classes (3 wins, 2 seconds this year), so I think she's ready to do a bit more wherever there's the opportunity.

This is my 4-dog team for next year, this was one of the first hook-ups for the pups, they were around 10 months in this picture. My little girl Rain is in lead with Lightning, and her brother Storm is back in wheel with Thunder. We're going to give Amber and her border collies a run for their money next year :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/4dog_hookup2_rs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/4dogteamontrail_rs.jpg

And this is part of my trail, one of the loops that goes around the back of my property through the forest. Part of the trail is out in open field, part is through the forest. It's not a long trail, only about .8 miles (1.3 km), but there are several adjoining loops so I can get lots of gee/haw practice and also vary which way I go around so it's not always just doing laps around the same old thing. My neighbour across the road also has trails on her property that I can use, which is nice for a change.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/bushtrail_rs.jpg

rainbow
March 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
OC, I always love looking at your pics.....beautiful dogs. :cloud9:

OC_Spirit
March 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
From what I read in the rules here when I signed up, I don't think PM's are available to new members for a few days, but you can reach me at info@racingrescues.com if you want to. I did come across Will Pridham's site before reading your message, I saw that he's got some pics of you on there, plus a few people I know who were in the 2-dog class at Apsley, but I didn't see any shots of my dogs there. I emailed the other photographer, Jim Macken but no reply so far. My webmasters are friends of mine who go to the races with me and they're always taking pictures. Trouble is I don't see lots of them so I'm not always sure what shots they got. They just update my site now and then and put new ones up. They're mostly of our dogs, but they throw in some other shots now and then as well.

Those hills at Apsley are killer, I was so out of breath from running up them trying to help the dogs. It was worth it though, my guys got me into first place :thumbs up They ran well but it was also partly due to sheer luck. We went out 3rd but both teams in front had some problems and so I caught them both at the turnaround and got by them there. Otherwise I would have had more trouble. Mine have only raced a few times (last year at Apsley, the 2-mile youth class at Haliburton this year with a 12 year old neighbour, the 3/4 mile loop at Cannington and Apsley this year). In every race except Cannington they've had a bad experience with passing (getting snapped at, bitten etc.) and now they're having issues about both passing head-on and on by. I need to do a lot of work with them to build confidence to get them ready for next year. I may not try Kearney or Apsley next year since they both have head-on passing. I'll have to see how the training goes and they'll be starting with a loop trail at Haliburton. It's the first race of the season that I'd be going to and it's practically in my backyard, only about 10 minutes away from me. My team will be my 2 dogs I ran this year, plus my 2 border collie pups that are turning a year old next week. My daughter will also probably try the 2 mile youth race at Haliburton with Lightning (my lead dog) and our newest pup that's now 4 months old. She's been doing really well in the kid & mutt classes (3 wins, 2 seconds this year), so I think she's ready to do a bit more wherever there's the opportunity.

This is my 4-dog team for next year, this was one of the first hook-ups for the pups, they were around 10 months in this picture. My little girl Rain is in lead with Lightning, and her brother Storm is back in wheel with Thunder. We're going to give Amber and her border collies a run for their money next year :D

Gail, you have very nice looking BCs! Bet they're speedy on the trails!

Hahaha I was out of breath from the hills at Apsley too! I kept wondering if I was horribly out of shape suddenly because I have never puffed so hard during a run! Apparently I need to find hillier trails to train on for next year...yeesh! Congrats on coming in first! That's awesome! Ah so your daughter beat Ronan and Darien, ooooo the heat is on! hahaha just playing of course ;) If you're willing to make a bit of a drive south, I'd be more than willing to do some passing workshops with you. By next season Cricket will be ready to start her training and will need to learn about passing anyways and my current lead dog (Ronan) is a dream at passing. He pays no attention to the other team (whether on-by or head-on) and just focuses on his own running. It's like he's in his own lil world when we're running. I'd even be willing to change things around a bit like put Ronan on your team (he'll run for anyone) and have him on inside lead and then run past eachother so your lead dog can learn the ropes by watching what Ronan is doing. Even if your dog tries to balk or reacts in any way Ronan will just dig in and keep moving forward. We have a few nice trails around here, one particular one that is PERFECT for starting dogs since it's fairly straight, very flat and very wide but with lots of distractions for them to learn to focus on the job. Some distractions are other people walking, soemtimes with dogs, snowmobiles, bridge crossings, horses, chicken barns, generic wildlife, and if we do the road crossing and you're there at the right time you may have gunshots too (shooting range is close enough to the trail you can hear shots but far enough away that its safe).

luckypenny
March 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Enjoy!

I did :thumbs up . Great photos! That was so thoughtful of you to let Darien participate. He looks thrilled; I'm sure it made his week.

loopoo
March 9th, 2008, 11:12 PM
always love seeing shots of your dogs, they are all beauties..:)

Gail P
March 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Gail, you have very nice looking BCs! Bet they're speedy on the trails!

Hahaha I was out of breath from the hills at Apsley too! I kept wondering if I was horribly out of shape suddenly because I have never puffed so hard during a run! Apparently I need to find hillier trails to train on for next year...yeesh! Congrats on coming in first! That's awesome! Ah so your daughter beat Ronan and Darien, ooooo the heat is on! hahaha just playing of course ;) If you're willing to make a bit of a drive south, I'd be more than willing to do some passing workshops with you. By next season Cricket will be ready to start her training and will need to learn about passing anyways and my current lead dog (Ronan) is a dream at passing. He pays no attention to the other team (whether on-by or head-on) and just focuses on his own running. It's like he's in his own lil world when we're running. I'd even be willing to change things around a bit like put Ronan on your team (he'll run for anyone) and have him on inside lead and then run past eachother so your lead dog can learn the ropes by watching what Ronan is doing. Even if your dog tries to balk or reacts in any way Ronan will just dig in and keep moving forward. We have a few nice trails around here, one particular one that is PERFECT for starting dogs since it's fairly straight, very flat and very wide but with lots of distractions for them to learn to focus on the job. Some distractions are other people walking, soemtimes with dogs, snowmobiles, bridge crossings, horses, chicken barns, generic wildlife, and if we do the road crossing and you're there at the right time you may have gunshots too (shooting range is close enough to the trail you can hear shots but far enough away that its safe).

Thanks for the offer, pairing Lightning up with a strong leader sounds like just what he needs. He's the first dog I've done any real amount of sledding with, so I had to train him from scratch myself and aside from the passing problem he's now having he's turned out great (I think, but then I'm rather biased, lol!) At home I think he sometimes gets a little bit bored with the same trail, so I try to take him out to some other places when I can, but at the races he is so eager, and he's an awesome kid & mutt dog. So yeah, the heat is on :thumbs up How far south are you? I thought I read somewhere that you're in the Niagra area I'm just outside of Minden. It would be nice if we could meet up somewhere in the middle, and you're also welcome to come up here. My trail's not real long, but I try to keep it well groomed and it's pretty wide out in the fields, not so much in the bush. Lots of fresh snow on it now though :laughing: I spent quite a while out there today grooming it, trying to get it packed back down again. Buried my snowmobile off the edge of the trail once, my markers were completely covered and I took a corner a little too wide. Got it out though and packed the trail as best I could with just the skidoo. Went back out later with a drag on behind and went around some more to smooth it better. Another option up here too is the wide open lakes, there is lots of space there. A friend and I took our dogs out on the lake my mom's cottage is on last week. It's about 2 1/2 miles long, and we did a big loop around most of the lake. Looks like we should get lots more opportunity for sledding, I checked the long range forecast for up here and though they're calling for light drizzle Thursday, all the other days sound good. In the 14 day forecast the whole last week it's supposed to snow. :D My fields are going to be so flooded once it all melts, but for now it's great. At least when the flood comes the dogs will have fun splashing around. Most of them love the water. Thunder especially. When there are no puddles to splash in this is what he does, usually twice daily when we're out doing chores
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Thunderswimminginthetrough.jpg

Gail P
March 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Rough life these "sled pets" have here. When Thunder's not busy swimming in the trough, he's guarding the yard
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Thunderontable.jpg

or lazing on the couch

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Thundercouch.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/silhouettestable/Thundercouch2.jpg

I meant to ask before, what races are you going to next year? You said you were only at 2 this year, will you be at more next year? We've been going to Haliburton, Kearney, Bancroft, Cannington and Apsley for Maria to do the kid & mutt classes, and I've done whatever 2-dog classes were available. I think next year she will try the 2-mile youth race at Haliburton and the 2-dog at Cannington (not Apsley though, I don't think she's ready for those hills, corners and head-on passing), and she can do the kid & mutt classes at the other races. I'm going to plan to try at least the 3 looped trail 4-dog races, and I'll see about the other 2. Do you do any dryland training?

OC_Spirit
March 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the offer, pairing Lightning up with a strong leader sounds like just what he needs. He's the first dog I've done any real amount of sledding with, so I had to train him from scratch myself and aside from the passing problem he's now having he's turned out great (I think, but then I'm rather biased, lol!) At home I think he sometimes gets a little bit bored with the same trail, so I try to take him out to some other places when I can, but at the races he is so eager, and he's an awesome kid & mutt dog. So yeah, the heat is on :thumbs up How far south are you? I thought I read somewhere that you're in the Niagra area I'm just outside of Minden. It would be nice if we could meet up somewhere in the middle, and you're also welcome to come up here. My trail's not real long, but I try to keep it well groomed and it's pretty wide out in the fields, not so much in the bush. Lots of fresh snow on it now though :laughing: I spent quite a while out there today grooming it, trying to get it packed back down again. Buried my snowmobile off the edge of the trail once, my markers were completely covered and I took a corner a little too wide. Got it out though and packed the trail as best I could with just the skidoo. Went back out later with a drag on behind and went around some more to smooth it better. Another option up here too is the wide open lakes, there is lots of space there. A friend and I took our dogs out on the lake my mom's cottage is on last week. It's about 2 1/2 miles long, and we did a big loop around most of the lake. Looks like we should get lots more opportunity for sledding, I checked the long range forecast for up here and though they're calling for light drizzle Thursday, all the other days sound good. In the 14 day forecast the whole last week it's supposed to snow. :D My fields are going to be so flooded once it all melts, but for now it's great. At least when the flood comes the dogs will have fun splashing around. Most of them love the water. Thunder especially. When there are no puddles to splash in this is what he does, usually twice daily when we're out doing chores

I have the problem of trail boredom with my wheel dog and current lead-dog-in-training. I swear they both have ADD! Even if a new trail is just too flat and straight and boring and we have been running a lot recently, they'll get bored and become distracted. OC's a lot better than he used to be especially if I keep him in wheel. Kena just needs to mature a little more. On the plus side with OC's ADD, it makes him great at weight pulling! haha We can do 2-3 pulls then take him off and play some tug or do some obedience or just plain ol goof off, then hook him up again for a few more pulls and repeat. I'm located in Elmira which is 20mins north of Kitchener-Waterloo. Unfortunatly I won't be driving until November so the only way I can come out towards you is if my sledding partner is up for it or if my dad has off work. But like you said, maybe we could figure out somewhere in the middle to meet up.

OC_Spirit
March 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I meant to ask before, what races are you going to next year? You said you were only at 2 this year, will you be at more next year? We've been going to Haliburton, Kearney, Bancroft, Cannington and Apsley for Maria to do the kid & mutt classes, and I've done whatever 2-dog classes were available. I think next year she will try the 2-mile youth race at Haliburton and the 2-dog at Cannington (not Apsley though, I don't think she's ready for those hills, corners and head-on passing), and she can do the kid & mutt classes at the other races. I'm going to plan to try at least the 3 looped trail 4-dog races, and I'll see about the other 2. Do you do any dryland training?

The plan for this year originally was to attend Haliburton, Kortright, Cannington and Apsley. Something came up the weekend of the Haliburton race and I ended up going to Chicago for that weekend, then Kortright got cancelled due to lack of snow (then it ended up being a massive blizzard the night before the race) which left only Cannington and Apsley. Next year I am hoping to attend those 4 and maybe Kearney depending on how nice my boss wants to be (allowing me that many weekends off in a short amount fo time). I am thinking next year I will be entered in the 4-dog classes and my sledding partner would then enter the 2-dog skijoring classes. I cant skijor to save my life LOL I am also hoping to spend more time next year with my mentor (Cheri Mcallum) since I will be driving by then, if that happens then things on the racing team might really change around! We will see though. Right now I am just taking it easy with the dogs (casual sledding) and focusing on making up blueprints for building a dog box this summer OR finidng an already-built one at a decent price to buy.

Gail P
March 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I just saw on the OFSS site that Ray and Janice Erker have a dog box for sale, I think it's a 6 hole or 8 hole box. They've also got a trailer, I think it said it is 5 x 8, and the box is the same size. They are for sale separate or together. Can't remember the price but you can check it out on the classifieds page of that site.

OC_Spirit
March 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I've already been in contact with them :thumbs up Thanks for the heads-up though! Not sure if I'm gonna nab it yet, I have a couple other dog boxes I have been looking at too and I'm still curious about just building my own...

I forgot to mention in my last posts, yes I do dryland training. I usually do 2-3 dogs with a scooter but I also have a cart for running more dogs. The sucky thing about my cart though is that it cant go on most trails (very big and heavy) and not very manoeverable if we come to an obstruction in the path (like a fallen tree). I like the flexibility of the scooter. My sledding partner uses a mountain bike.

Gail P
March 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM
My husband made me a lightweight 3-wheeled rig, something like the Artic Rigs. I can't do much biking at all (bad knees and pedalling just kills them), and I could see myself eating dirt with a scooter. I really like my little rig because I can load it up into a box trailer and head out where ever with it easily. We have lots of dirt roads around here, plus the old railway line so I can vary where I run the dogs more than in the winter. Here's a couple of pics from back in the fall. I took them over to a friend's house and then we headed down the rail line from there to the park in Kinmount, had a little break and then back again. She was riding her horse and had to do quite a bit of trotting and cantering to keep up with the dogs.

http://racingrescues.com/images/photos04.jpg

http://racingrescues.com/images/photos05.jpg

OC_Spirit
March 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Thats a neat rig you've got going on!!! I'd like to purchase a lighter cart for myself but that's one of those "i would like" not "i need" things so it'll have to wait for a while yet...Boo...LOL

I bet passer-byers really enjoyed the site to see your friend on horseback and you on a dog cart! hehe I get enough looks when running the dogs I can only imagine the looks if I added someone on horseback trying to keep up with us! great stuff!

Gail P
March 11th, 2008, 01:32 AM
If you know anybody who welds, or can find someplace to have it done, making a rig like mine is relatively inexpensive (as compared with buying one). We were going to make it out of old bike frames, but rather than trying to find 2 matching frames at the dump or someplace, we went out and bought 2 brand new matching youth BMX bikes when Canadian Tire had them on sale for $90. My husband and a friend of his from work built it in just a couple of days. They cut off the front steering columns on both bikes, welded the heavy bar across it (something the friend had laying around his garage) and another lighter bracing bar further back, just in front of the standing platforms. Both seats and pedals were removed, and the front wheels were put on the back forks so that there are no gears or anything. They took one of the steering columns and welded it back on at the front and also used the spare set of front forks to create the piece over the front wheel that helps to guide the line out away from the wheel. They even re-used part of the spare handlebars by welding them on as a place to attach the lines. They also took another front wheel off of some other old bike and used that as my front wheel. It's got brakelines running to both rear wheels, the only thing is they're not locking brakes. I manage fine just hooking up 2 dogs but I need to figure something out for when I want to hook up more. I'll have to be careful if I try to carry a snubline or anything like that, I wouldn't want to get any ropes caught up around the wheels. That's if i can run 3 or 4 dogs on it safely. It's not that heavy and it really flies. I got a cycling computer I put on it too which is really neat. It tells me the distance traveled, current speed, average speed, maximum speed, riding time etc. Instead of just feeling them slowing on hills I can tell how much their speed is dropping, or when I ask them to speed up I can watch the mph increase. Mine don't travel anywhere near the top sprinting speeds, but then again, that's probably easier when it's a team of 4, 6 or 8 pulling the load instead of just 2. On the rig, running anywhere from 2-4 miles my 2 boys were averaging about 8 mph (anywhere from 7.8-8.1), and hitting max. speeds of 13-14 mph. I find they'll break into a lope at around 8-9 mph, and they seem to often maintain a running speed of around 9-10 or 11 mph. Their average speed becomes lowered due to the slower speeds going uphill etc. I have no idea how any of this translates to running on snow, the cycling computer doesn't work on the sled :laughing: Guess I need to get a GPS if I want to find out.

Chris21711
March 21st, 2008, 04:08 PM
OC - sorry for the delay, our computer was down for 10 days. My daughter did take photos at Cannnington. I am going to email them to you as I don't know how to downsize them to post them here.