Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Off to the vet

Iggette
June 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Well things could turn very ugly but I hope they don't. I just brought Buddy in he can't even walk on his back leg. Don't know what happened but he had a slight limp yesterday I thought I would wait thinking it was a pulled muscle again and it would go away like last time but it has only gotten worse.

So the vet asked me to drop him off in the morning and they would fit him in, as they are totally booked :( Nope......Not havin my baby wait in a cage, Nope Nope Nope. So I said I would be there at 8 am and wait with him till he could be seen, at least that way he can go outside enjoy the doggy poop area and be with me :)

Keep your fingers crossed ........Hope to H**** it's not his hips already :(

chico2
June 18th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Iggette,best of luck to you and poor Buddy,it's Saturday morning,right?
I don't blame you for not just dropping him off,I soooo hope they can help him.Why do these things have to happen,before Pets.ca,I never knew it was so common in larger dogs....Hugs to Buddy and some for you too :p

Luba
June 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Okay Iggy I'm hoping Buddy's alright!

Does the fold in the back leg feel weak to you, like limp?
If it is, could be a torn cruciate ligament.

Pls let us know asap what the vet says. My guess you'll have some xrays done too, take a visa ;)

Iggette
June 18th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I've tried moving it while he is laying down, I have firmly and almost hard like pressed pulled and pinched in spots to see if I can tell any difference in his legs or even get a whimper or some kind of responce he just looks at me almost like it doesn't hurt but he won't bear any weight on it now just sorta lets it hang there :confused:

Iggette
June 18th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I just got him to stand and he lets me move his leg back and forth.......nothing

P.S. what is..........

torn cruciate ligament

Luba
June 18th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Something that hap to my little terrier Rusty a few yrs ago (RIP)
http://www.pethealthcare.net/html/body_cruciate_ligament_rupture_in_d.html
He was on prednisone, no warning from the vet on how serious it can be with regards to weakening joints etc...

Anyway it's like severe tearing of ligaments which support the joint. Rusty needed orthopaedic surgery.

If this is higher up at the hip area perhaps the leg has just popped out! I've seen that happen as well, it's funny looking.

So you don't feel any swelling or nothing? Did you check the pads and between the toes and nails to make sure there isn't any object in there like a splinter?

Iggette
June 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Totally rubbed all over his toes ....no whining, he didnt mind at all, couldnt see or feel anything obvious.
Dont see any sorta swelling or bones that look or feel out of place :confused:

:( :( Just looked at that link.....does not sound good but kinda fits :( :(

Luba
June 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Did he go on a bonker run, like totally running his butt off or slip on the floor/stairs?

Iggette
June 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Last Monday Morning is all i can think of about 330 am he took a fall off the couch and yelped a good one yelp yelp yelp about seven times I ran out of my room and he was there and then seemed fine walked normal till thursday ran normal as well, but that is the only time he fell as for running oh ya he runs like a bat out of hell and he has done so since Monday am so if it was the fall it took it's time setting in he has run quickly about twice since then so who knows guess I'll find out tommorrow, Hubby just got home he's not thrilled about the potential bill we are so broke at the moment. Oh well looks like a miserable weekend better get us some drinks for saturday night so it won't seem like the end of the world.....lol He always see's things my way after a few *snicker*

Luba
June 18th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Iggy you made me laugh, you're so funny!

I wish maybe I had a drink or two sometimes but I'm not a drinker...and worry that if I started I'd probably never stop lmfho.

Let me know what happens at the vet tomorrow, I'm hoping all goes well:D

Iggette
June 19th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Well 5 hours later .......I'm home.

Buddy has a torn ligament by his knee.

The vet wanted xrays, but Buddy was having none of that, so they sedated him......lol.....he wasn't having xrays sedated either. so they had to completely knock him out.

I got to see the shape his hips were in ....apparently there is some sort of tissue that should cover approx 1/2 of the top bone, well Buddy has aprox 1/4 of his bone covered, and comparing certified hips (he showed me an xray of some) and Buddys hips you could see that they were further out in the sockets :eek: Yikes......This dog is a ticking time bomb.

So Buddy is under house arrest and on the same pain killers as ursa for 6 days he should improve by then so no more running free for buddy. I want to find him another long leash so he has a little freedom at least :( .

So all in all a pretty good visit I guess not as bad news as I thought but still have to tell hubby it was a $228.00 visit Yikes :D better go to the liquor store first :D rotflmao

chico2
June 19th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Iggette,I am not sure if what you are telling us is bad or good news :confused: but a torn ligament will heal,right?
His hips I suppose will cause problems down the line...
I do the same as you,most of the time I just don't tell how much the vet-bill is,until the MC statement comes :D
Hubby is still talking about the $330 to clean Chicos teeth,it's been going up steadily the past two years,it will probably be $400 next year when Rocky goes :D

Iggette
June 19th, 2004, 05:16 PM
It's good news chico :) I was worried that he threw his hip out and a major operation was awaiting us or as luba mentioned earlier a torn cruciate ligament which also would require surgery. But as it stands he should be better in a few days with being restricted severly in what he does and doesn't do.
And yes I am fully expecting this to be a constant problem because he is so high strung and a ball of energy.
I really have to work with training him though............he sits, and gives a paw his behavoir isn't really bad but he has his own mind, even the vet said he could tell that Buddy had no dicipline he said he thought the previous owners just let him do whatever he wanted and it showed. So I guess I will be cruising the training threads to see what I can pick up on because I have never trained a dog before we are working on "stay" right now. :)

Luba
June 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Whew Iggs I'm happy to hear rest will make it better.
If it was cruciate surgery OUCHIE on the bank acct.

Keep me updated on how he improves :D

SOUTHERNPHILLY
June 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM
MAYBE A SPRAIN OR MAYBE BROKEN OR CHIPPED.
I'LL BE WATCHING FOR THE DIOGNOSIS.

LOVE,
LYDIA

Well things could turn very ugly but I hope they don't. I just brought Buddy in he can't even walk on his back leg. Don't know what happened but he had a slight limp yesterday I thought I would wait thinking it was a pulled muscle again and it would go away like last time but it has only gotten worse.

So the vet asked me to drop him off in the morning and they would fit him in, as they are totally booked :( Nope......Not havin my baby wait in a cage, Nope Nope Nope. So I said I would be there at 8 am and wait with him till he could be seen, at least that way he can go outside enjoy the doggy poop area and be with me :)

Keep your fingers crossed ........Hope to H**** it's not his hips already :(

Luba
June 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM
It's good news chico I was worried that he threw his hip out and a major operation was awaiting us or as luba mentioned earlier a torn cruciate ligament which also would require surgery. But as it stands he should be better in a few days with being restricted severly in what he does and doesn't do.

Her reply after seeing the vet above.

melanie
June 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
oh buddy. poor boy :o , oh what an ouchie, hope its not too sore and with dogs it is so hard to tell, the little toughies. make sure you give buddy a big hug from us and give him a treat for every one here, lots of smoochies and im sure he will be better soon ;)

glasslass
June 21st, 2004, 08:56 PM
Give him lots of love and tummy rubs for me too. Hope he'll recover quickly and be faking a limp to get more. I knew a dog that did that, but he'd switch legs. Loved all that attention! He deserves all he can get! :D