Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Lost his best human friend....

Amy P
March 6th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any insight or suggestions for me, I am not sure if this should be in the pet health forum, but I am worried about his health now...My step-dad of eighteen years just passed away very unexpectedly on 2/22/08. :cry: :cry::cry::cry::cry:His dog has been with him and my mom for about 4 years. When I say with him I mean all 110lbs of him in the recliner while he read the paper (along with their cat too) :rolleyes: following him while he filled the bird feeders, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, plowing etc.... He passed away in their living room and Buster :dog: kept nudging him to "wake" him up. He has spent a lot of time walking around trying to find him and has now been laying on the couch with my mom and I. I have brought my dog Cash over for him to play with and he does alright but has a lot of mood swings. Which my own children have been having. My question is should we just treat him like our two legged children and figure out a way to help him deal with his grief? If so how should we go about it...my children can tell me how mad and sad they are that their poppy got taken so soon....but buster has no voice. :sad: I just don't want to leave him out of the grieving process but I am not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice you might have.

-Amy P

aslan
March 6th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. When my dad passed away their dog also was very upset, she was daddy's little girl. We gave her one of his dirty shirts to keep. And just made sure she knew she was loved. It will take some time but Buster will start to come around. He will bond more closely to your mom as he will comfort her. Just because we don't understand what he's saying, he is grieving in his own way. Just give him love and :grouphug: he will be fine.

TKW
March 6th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I am sorry for your loss!

I have no experience in this area but I think if he is eating & drinking normally I wouldn't worry too much. As an animal of high intelligence, he'll grieve for the loss of his pack member and he'll get over it sooner or later. Take care!

coppperbelle
March 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I too would like to express how sorry I am for your loss. My father died about 18 months ago and his dog grieved for him. It took time but she did get over it.
A few years ago I lost one of my goldens. I had two others but one of the remaining, Chloe took it very hard and grieved for at least two months. One day she seemed to snap out of it.
My heart goes out to you and your family.

pbpatti
March 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM
My DH passed away recently, Sasha our Choc Lab had a really tough time for the first week or so, she kind of new I think that DH won't be home. she is doing well now and seems to be happy..of course her daily treats shrunk a lot:laughing: pbp