Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help with new siamese kitten

Isabella
March 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I have always had siamese kittens(33+ yrs) and recently I got 2 brothers one is extremely shy and has gone to my mother's house and she is having a real hard time drawing him out of hiding. At this point she is getting aggravated and I am trying to find a way to help her. One of the kittens stayed at my house with my family consisting of 4 boys ages 5 to 15 and is adjusting just fine, but, his brother who I thought would be better suited for a quieter environment is at my mom's and she just can't get him out.

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides being patient as that is what I have told my mom, but of course that isn't working as she is beginning to think that there is something wrong. He is eating and he doesn't have soft stools. I don't think he is sick.

thanks for any suggestion.

Love4himies
March 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Do I understand you seperated the brothers, could this kitten be very scared and for that reason won't come out. I would keep the two littermates together and leave them alone in the room with the door closed, as long as your mom is trying to entice him out, he may not.

Some cats are naturally timid and will take time for them to get used to any new place.

How old are the kittens?

badger
March 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
You can't rush a cat but you can do a few things to improve the odds, such as inviting him to play, hand-feeding him and so on. And then, one fine day, he comes and winds himself around her legs and the process begins :lovestruck:.
If your mother decides she doesn't want him, I would reunite them, if you can. Kittens do better in pairs, period.

Isabella
March 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
The 2 brothers are separated and I know very well about raising siblings. We recently lost our Chocolate point's sister(from the same litter) tragically to a vicious dog attack ( not our dog) :rip:. Our Arthur was beside himself being all alone so I wasted very little time bringing in a friend and he has accepted him fabulously (only 1 day of hissing) and he sleeps near the kitten already.

I have told her to be patient, but I think that she is rushing it. I also think that since the little guys brother is already coming out here at my house she thinks he should be coming out. I know that her kitten(Monty) is moving around the house, but he isn't coming out when she can see him. My guy (Helo pronounced Hee-low) does seem a bit more sociable. I suppose I would worry if both would not come out; I guess all I can say to her is to be patient. I just figured that I would ask around. In case, there was something I had not thought of.

Love4himies
March 6th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Just like children have different personalities, littermates do to. I still recommend that you have the two littermates together in the same room, the timid kitten may be terrified and there is certainly some comfort for kittens when there is a littermate around.

The only other thing I can suggest is to put some food on your/her finger and entice the kitten out with that. That would simulate a momma who would be nursing/bringing back prey, except it is kitten food.

I just finishing fostering 7 kittens and they all had different personalities, 1 of the seven was extremely timid and stuck close to one of her sisters who was independent. The timid one would be terrified and hide and meow if her sister wasn't in the same room and no she wouldn't come out even for me. Luckily they were adopted together.