Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training yard boundaries

taulette
March 6th, 2008, 09:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

First time member, first posting. We have a 8 week old female Sheltie. Her name is Chloe. We also have a 10 yr old female lab named Sam.

We met Chloe when she was 4 weeks old and continued to visit her every weekend until we brought her home. She was raised and socialized with the mother and father, 4 litter mates, 2 other dogs, and 4 cats. All very calm in the household, except of course for playtime.

We are very pleased with her adjustment into our routine. Her cage training is coming along rather well. Although we have learned to put her in it more in the daytime so she becomes comfortable with it and it is not used as punishment. She's just so darned cute we fell into giving her free rein. oops...

We are establishing a feeding schedule and she is learning to eat when her bowl is put down for her.

She has learned to go outside rather easily and she loves it. The older dog has an invisible fence and tends to stay close. While Chloe is much too young for the invisible collar, we think she might not need it by virtue of learned behavior from the older dog. On the other hand we have put the marker flags in place and have begun to show her the boundaries of the yard.

The question I have is for when we begin training to go for walks. If I am leash training the boundaries of the yard, will that confuse her when we take her out of the yard(on a leash)? Should I train her on the yard first and then walks? Should I maybe carry her to the sidewalk then put her leash on for walks?

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe

t.pettet
March 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I think 8 weeks is too young to understand yard boundaries and you are taking a huge risk if she is outside alone, from theft, aggressive stray dogs, her wandering off into the street etc. etc. When going for walks what about using another door to exit rather than the one your lab uses with the invisible fence.

taulette
March 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
While she is never left alone, ideally we would like to get to that point without using the invisible fence collar. Based mostly on the knowledge that shelties have extremely strong awareness of property boundaries. My thoughts on walking are to put her leash on at the outside edge of the property and walk her out. Would you agree with that training process?

Thanks

jessi76
March 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
yup, sounds reasonable to me (leashing up at the edge of the property). as long as you have complete control so she won't run off before being leashed. ;)

Shelties are indeed brilliant dogs (from the few I've seen). IMO, it's never too early to train, just be sure the training method & amount of time, is appropriate for the age of the pup. I would think that short positive training sessions (which will probably seem more like fun) would be just fine for the pup. (I enrolled my pup in obedience training at 12wks and started "at home" training at 8wks) I wouldn't have any big expectations of an 8 wk old pup though, but, like I said, I don't think it's too early to start learning the rules of the house or the yard.

do we get to see pics of Chloe & Sam?? we love pics!

taulette
March 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Jessi. Would love to send a pic, still trying to work out how to make it smaller to fit the guidelines.

Joe

taulette
March 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Let's see if this works. Chloe and Sam learning to be buds...

hazelrunpack
March 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Aw....they're so cute together! :cloud9:

And welcome to the board, taulette.

jessi76
March 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
oh my goodness, they are so cute sitting together! hope we get to see more pics of the 2 of them

taulette
March 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM
This is Chloe's 9 week pic. I'm going to take one every Saturday in this pose next to her toy so I can see her growth.

The earlier question about yard boundaries has since become moot. I made a mistake in giving her free rein. Her initial pup curiosity has blossomed into full fledged terrible twos curiosity. She has found out that she loves the outdoors, and the trees, the bushes, the mulch, and the occaisonal poo not yet picked up. Omg...she becomes fixated out there. I can't compete, and when I try she turns the yard into the Indy 500. So I am going back to square one and putting a leash on her while she goes out.

I have also began training her to sit. Then we'll work on stay and finally come. I did find some good videos for training at expertvillage.com. I think those will help til she's old enough for formal training. If I'm missing anything please let me know. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Joe

jessi76
March 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
oooh puppy zoooomies! sounds like puppy fun!

what a cute puppy she is! I hope you share her growing up pics with us!

I don't think you missed your chance to teach her boundaries... she's a wee 9wks now, and everything is new & exciting to her. I still think you'll be able to teach her the yard boundaries.