Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

patsy - new problem

MOOSEDRY
March 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
hi again all. patsy's saga continues.....

she is coming along nicely from the pancreas problem (re: cat not pooping thread), but she started sneezing yesterday and it is getting worse :sick:. she's also drinking lots and her energy level is down. and just now she started coughing!

last nite i remembered while i was at the vet's on monday to get a definitive answer regarding her pancreas problem, i overhead my vet say to one of the techs out back that they needed to get the white stray they had housed in the clinic out of there, as she was worried it was going to spread germs. the tech mentioned they had someone interested in the cat, but the staff didn't want to release it yet because it had been sneezing.

so, i'm now thinking that patsy picked up a bug from this cat. i'm very concerned, as i have three cats, and i don't want this going thru my household. i called their office this morning to report what was going on, and told the receptionist i wanted to know what to do, but didn't think i should have to pay for any treatment as patsy caught this at their clinic. she is going to speak to the vet and call me back this afternoon.

i'm worried now, as patsy also suffers from seasonal asthma. what can i expect here, guys? believe it or not, i've never dealt with colds/uri's in cats, so i'm wondering what comes next. would they start her on antibiotics right away to stave off infection, or do they have to wait until it gets worse first? and what about my other cats? is there a shot they can get? you guys give such excellent advice, i want to know what i'm up against before i deal with the vet (in other words, i don't want to be given the runaround - it would be nice to have a little knowledge under my belt before she calls).

i know i'll be very pissed off if i'm refused free treatment over this - it's not my fault my cat was infected by their carelessness :frustrated:. i've been loyal to that clinic for about 10 years, and have sent many friends/colleagues there.

i need your wisdom, you guys! please help.
tracy :sad:

badger
March 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I guess you'll have to go with your vet's advice. Normally antibotics are only given if there is a secondary infection but since Patsy has not yet fully recovered from her tummy troubles, the vet might just go ahead as a precaution. My old vet used to prescribe antiobiotics with a little steroid added, to make the animal feel better, but I don't know what the implications would be for Patsy. She must keep eating, if only small amounts. Break out the tuna.
Your other cats won't necessarily catch it, all depends on their immune system, as with humans.
Don't panic! :)
I hope you get your free visit but catching a URI would probably fall under 'reasonable risk'. As a good client, you deserve it but...

Jim Hall
March 6th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Vitamins and maybe lysine all around

Thats a shame about the vet it happens at the best places

MOOSEDRY
March 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
hi all and thanks for the responses.

initially, the vet's office wasn't going to do anything, as they said it simply needs to run its course. when i mentioned that patsy had also started coughing since i phoned them this morning, the doc decided to put her on antibiotics because of her history with seasonal asthma. i wasn't charged. i understand about "reasonable risk", but she didn't even catch this from another patient - it was from a stray they took in. considering i paid $640 for her pancreatic diagnosis/treatment, i would have been insulted had i been asked to cover the antibiotics, and i think rightly so. like i said, i have also brought that clinic a lot of business. and, i didn't even say anything when the vet covering my doc's last vacation screwed up and didn't give patsy the long lasting shot for her seasonal asthma - resulting in unnecessary suffering on patsy's part for over a week when my vet finally returned and gave her the proper shot. i am a reasonable person, but i'm not about to be nickeled and dimed to death.

tracy :mad:

rainbow
March 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Sorry to hear about Patsy.....she really didn't need this to happen right now. :grouphug: Glad the vet didn't charge you for the antibiotics and I hope Patsy is feeling better soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
March 6th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Antibiotics usually do the trick, my Buddy seems to pick up something everytime I take him out of the house... right now since being at the vet for his teeth, it's a cough too. If it's just the sniffles and some sneezing I usually just leave it to take it's course like the vet suggested but with any other symptoms they usually get the AB. Hope she's feeling better soon! :goodvibes: