Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What can i do if someone is allergic to my cat?

Shannon Jamie
March 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM
My friends home is being renovated and it can take up to a month before she is back in there. She is staying with me now and has told me that she thinks she is allergic to my cat Belle. Belle is doing awesome now, she was an abused cat, and i had a few problems with her in the beginning, but now everything seems fine. I love my cat and refuse to find her a new place to stay, even for a month because it took her so long to get used to my place, and me. Is there anything i can do that would make it easier for someone with allergies to be around Belle??

luckypenny
March 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Perhaps you can vacuum and dust more often if you don't already to help accomodate your friend? Add an air purifier? I agree, I certainly wouldn't be looking to displace your cat either. How long has your friend been at your place? If she thinks she may be allergic and isn't breaking out in hives or having asthma attacks, it doesn't sound so serious. Perhaps she can take some anti-allergy meds in the meantime if her eyes are itchy and she's sniffling :shrug:?

Frenchy
March 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Is there anything i can do that would make it easier for someone with allergies to be around Belle??

Like LP said , vacuum more often .... although I think you are nice enough to let your friend stay at your place , maybe she should do the vacuum ? No way should you rehome YOUR cat for this.

aslan
March 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm with the other two re-homing isn't an option. But I can give you some advice as i'm severly allergic to cats. As they said vac and dust, when mopping floors add a little bleach to the water. Or save yourself alot of extra work and go to Shoppers drugmart and ask the pharmacist for an antihistamine called "Novophenaram". It is a mild antihistamine since she obviously isn't having a severe reaction. I assume she just has the sniffles and itchy eyes and nose. I personally would go the antihistamine route.

phoozles
March 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yep, I'm allergic to both of my cats, and I find that a simple over the counter antihistamine (i.e. reactine) clears me right up.

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'm allergic too. I wouldn't rehome my cats either. It's their home. I think you should suggest to your friend to take some allergy medication. Zyrtec, or Claritin are two I can think of off the top of my head. I take Zyrtec along with my prescribed Singulair.

06canyon
March 5th, 2008, 04:33 PM
my dad claims he is allergic to the cat so he just doesn't come over to my house. It's an amazing allergy, when no one is looking the symptoms suddenly dissapear.

Gibbons
March 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
How long has your friend been staying with you?

My hubby is allergic to cats- for a little while. Whenever he meets a new cat, he has intense allergies that aren't cleared up by an antihistamine, but they only last for the first two weeks. Once he gets used to the cat, his allergies clear up entirely.

We got our first cat, Gibson, and Jeff was miserable the first two weeks.
My sister moved in with us for a while with her cat, Rae Rae (short for Rafaela or something) and Jeff was miserable the first two weeks.

When we go home to see my parents for a total of 3 days at a time, and Jeff is miserable the whole time :D

CyberKitten
March 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
This is your and your cat's home so I would not even consider moving her - cats are easily stressed and that is not a good enough reason,. Your friend can for that short period take some medication if her allergy is not severe. And there are many other options as already suggested here- no rugs, keep her away from the cat (though cats seem to have a 5th sense about this and she'll prob be curious about the newcomer depending on her personality. I know y YY is miffed if the visitors do not look at her and tell her wonderful she is, lol She struts around till they have to comment and then sits in my lap unless she has other plans.)

You could get oer ask her to get a n air filer unit - that might be cheaper than meds tho the good ones can be pricey. It is cat dander and saliva that is mostly the problem so if she stays away from the cat's areas and sleeps in a room where the cat does not go, she prob will be fine for that short period of time. Never however would I move the cat!!!

Good luck!!

want4rain
March 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
and kudos to you for taking in an abused rescue!!! those are always the hardest and yet most rewarding. im sure Jim Hall will agree. :D

-ashley

Kashi
March 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Can you brush and/or bathe your cat ?
That, and regular vacuuming / dusting keep my allergies at bay.

t.pettet
March 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Brushing your cat will stir up the dander more and unless she has rolled in something putrid or dangerous bathing will cause dryness and skin problems.

sugarcatmom
March 6th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Instead of bathing, you could try something called Allerpet (http://www.allerpet.com/products/product3.htm). It's a liquid solution containing enzymes that break down the protein in cat saliva responsible for most allergies to cats. You just dampen a cloth with it and wipe the cat down once a week. Here's the FAQ: http://www.allerpet.com/faq/q&a2.htm#about

danaekitty
March 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
If your friend has THAT much of a problem with staying with you because of allergies, she might easily find a cat-free friend to stay with. Even thinking about rehoming your cat for another person's temporary visit is extremely unfair to the cat, regardless of how close you and your friend are. She came into your home knowing about your cat, and I dearly hope she is not requesting that you solve her little allergy problem.

The only advice I can offer is to vaccuum more (use that skinny attachment to get the baseboards) and maybe a dehumidifier.

rjesak
March 7th, 2008, 09:46 AM
The stuff Sugarcatmom suggests worked for my Uncle when he came to stay. Petsmart had wipes impregnated with the stuff. I did a thorough cleaning before he came - vacuum of floors and furniture, dust, mop - then just wiped down each kitty every night. He had no problem at all. Well, he did, but he told me later that he was faking it so that his kids wouldn't think they could get a cat!!! :laughing:

Shannon Jamie
March 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice!! Just to be clear i had no intention of moving Belle from our home, it was suggested(but not by my friend) that i should move her but i refused. I have given my friend a list of all the suggestions provided here, and hope it make her more comfortable .