Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm moving! But what about Z and O???

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
YAY!!!
Mike and I are renting a new house in a pretty nice neighbourhood. You have probably read my thread about the neighbours in my current house, http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50066 he is someone else's problem now!!! :mwaha:

I'm posting some pics below, but I'm wondering if anyone has any info about how to acclimatize (sp?) Zelda and Olive to the move? Olive has peed on the couch twice, a wet towel on the bed once, and the bathroom rug so many times we had to throw it out. We've been keeping the litter box in the bathroom, and if we keep it REALLY really clean, she only pees in the box.
We have a basement in the new place, so I may put the kitty litter down there (maybe not, still not sure). I'm afraid that she might start peeing again, and it takes a lot of work to get cat pee out of the couch. :wall:

Also, we let the cats play in the backyard at our current place. It's fenced in (that's obviously not to say they can't leave) but they never leave - they know the rules. We're going to have a new yard, MUCH bigger, and it's not entirely fenced in. We always go outside with them, but I'm scared they might get lost or try to find the old house across town or something. Should I try taking them out one at a time, or is there something I can spread all over the yard so they will know it's theirs?

I'm so concerned about my girls, I just want them to be happy. I know this will be traumatic for them no matter what, but there must be something I can do.

I have possession of both apartments for 1.5 months, so I can move slowly. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Here are the pics that were posted on the ad:

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
a couple more - PLMK what you guys think!

krdahmer
March 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Congrats! It looks like a nice place... do you have the whole house? When you move the kitties, just make sure that the first place they put their paws is the litter boxes, wherever they are going to be... that way they explore from there and know where they are. I always do it that way one cat at a time and it seems to work. As for the yard, maybe you'll have to get them used to harnesses and leashes seeing as you supervise them anyhow.... they'll hate them at first but if they figure out thats the only way they get to go out, they'll get used to it.

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0060.gif (http://fitmilwaukee.com/) for getting away from the nasty neighbours!!! And a month and a half to move is always nice.... no last minute packing, and rushing! :thumbs up

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
We have the whole main floor and access to the basement. There is a tenant who lives upstairs and works nights, so that works out pretty well. TONS of parking, which is great since Mike has a work van.

Any advice for the yard? Spread their litter around the edges or something?

06canyon
March 5th, 2008, 09:46 AM
since you always go outside with them, do they come when you call? If they do just call them back when they go too far. Or if you want, leave a harness and leash on them but let them drag the leash so when they go to far, you can grab the leash if they make a run for it. Congrats on the new place and neighbor.

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
They don't exactly come when I call. Zelda starts hissing because she knows I'm about to make her go in. Sometimes she hides, and sometimes she runs inside on her own, hissing the whole time, and doesn't speak to me for a couple hours. :laughing:
Olive is okay, she gets the jist of what I'm trying to do as soon as I start rounding them up, and goes inside right away quite cheerfully.
They ignore me when I call their names outside. I'll see how they feel about the harness...I'm going to bet it will be a disaster though, ha ha.

Love4himies
March 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Looks like you are moving into a great house :thumbs up.

I second krdahmer advice. Keep the cats locked up in a safe room while you are moving out/in.

Try the litter boxes in the basement, my cats have always preferred them there, more privacy he, he.

Have always shown them their litter box one at a time and let them go from there (My parents were military, my hubby is military so I have moved alot with cats). When they are done exploring, feed them so they know it is home.

I would not allow them to go free, it takes a second for them to disappear, or they can run and in a minute you have lost them, can't trust cats to come when they are called especially if they are after prey. Harnessing them will allow them to get fresh air, watch the birds for stimulation, give them new sniffs to check out, but will keep them safe. If they are used to a fence they couldn't see out of, then the wide open may be overwhelming and scary for them as they won't be familiar with the sounds and smells.

Good luck

Love4himies
March 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
They ignore me when I call their names outside. I'll see how they feel about the harness...I'm going to bet it will be a disaster though, ha ha.

Start off with them wearing the harness inside so they get used to the feeling of it. Then start them outside slowly, for short periods of time. Stay down at their level giving them lots of reassurance and don't give them too much leash length, they are harder to control. Don't give in and let them free, they will think struggling is the way to freedom. I have always been able to train my adult cats on harnesses with some (well lots) of patience.

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
thanks, I'll try to start them off with the harnesses inside, hopefully that will help. Zelda's going to be maaaaaad.....:yell:

Frenchy
March 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
What a nice house , very cute. Looks pretty clean too ! :thumbs up I love the wooded floors.

krdahmer
March 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM
thanks, I'll try to start them off with the harnesses inside, hopefully that will help. Zelda's going to be maaaaaad.....:yell:

Well that, or she'll be like my girls and just flop to the ground and refuse to move! :rolleyes::laughing:

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Ha ha ha, that's what Healy used to do when I put on his Christmas sweater.

phoozles
March 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I agree with everyone (especially the flopping, :laughing:), but what I'd add - when you have them go outside, harnessed of course, try putting a little butter on their paws before they go out - I did this with my kitties when they were outdoor cats and it seemed to help them track their way back when we moved to a new place. :shrug:

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Genius, phoozles! that's how I used to litterbox train all my cats.

chico2
March 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Wow,that looks like a really nice house,gongrats!!
As for the kitties,I agree with all the others,harnesses and leashes is the way to go.
My cats go out with us,but my backyard is fully fenced and they seem to know their boundaries,but of course I am keeping an eye on them constantly anyway.
Since your yard is not fully fenced,the kitties could be gone in a sec,I know mine would be,if only to explore for a bit.
It will take them a while to get used to the new house,so maybe they won't even want to go outside,expect a few problems though,cats HATE new surroundings:laughing:

danaekitty
March 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the congrats!

I have a question about bringing them over one at a time, as per krdahmer's advice:

Zelda tends to blame Olive for anything bad that happens to her.
Olive tends to pee on things.
We got Zelda almost 2 years before getting Olive. Both were kittens when they arrived, both are spayed.

Which cat should I bring over first, and how long should I want until I bring the second?

I'm so nervous!