Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My first alligator...and a few other things...

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:08 PM
So, we went to a natural spring the other day to see some manatees and while we were looking at them, there was an alligator down the way. He/she is kind of hard to see, but if you look through the tree limbs, you can see it...

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I just love manatees. Aren't they beautiful? There were also a few squirrels munching.

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
scary gator! I just love Manatees, such sweet gentle creatures :lovestruck:

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
And here is another squirrel -- a well fed squirrel. :laughing:

There were also a few webbed visitors in our back yard. Aren't they gorgeous?

hazelrunpack
March 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I love manatees, too! :lovestruck:

I see they have them radio-collared...or radio-tailed, anyway... Any idea who's doing the monitoring?

Oh, and 'nice' alligator, too. :eek: :p

onster
March 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Oh wow!!! that is a welll fed squirrel indeed!! :laughing:

alligator :eek:

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
It's the first alligator I've seen since we've lived here. It's been over two years since we've moved!

As for the radio thing, I would think they have been put on by those that monitor endangered species. There are a lot of laws here in place that protect them including people feeding them. They love lettuce and we would probably get arrested or fined if we brought a head for them to eat. They are beautiful. I just love them. They are my favorite. :lovestruck:

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I don't that squirrel is well fed, I think she is very pregnant :)

onster
March 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Oh yes, ure probably right happycats...i see her nipple now looks quite big....its just hard to think of pregnant outdoor critters right now, will all the snow here

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Oh yes, ure probably right happycats...i see her nipple now looks quite big....its just hard to think of pregnant outdoor critters right now, will all the snow here

I know, but it is that season, that one looks like it will be popping out little ones any time now!

Frenchy
March 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I just love manatees. Aren't they beautiful? There were also a few squirrels munching.

Why is there a leash on the Manatee :confused:

Squirrels .... rats with fluffy tails :laughing:

and .... where's the gator ? I couldn't see him :o

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Why is there a leash on the Manatee :confused:

and .... where's the gator ? I couldn't see him :o

Frenchy, the leashes are on the manatees to monitor them because they are either endangered or close to being endangered.

As for the gator, see if this helps:

Frenchy
March 4th, 2008, 09:55 PM
ok I think I see it , it has his mouth open ? :o

Frenchy
March 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Frenchy, the leashes are on the manatees to monitor them because they are either endangered or close to being endangered.

Yes I know but are they always tied up ? :confused: :sad:

Did you see the South Park episode about the manatees ? The school gets the wrong shipment and the kids disect them .... :eek:

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Nope, mouth isn't open. His head is halfway in the water. You can't see his body, only his head. In the picture he's looking straight at us.

happycats
March 4th, 2008, 09:57 PM
in the bottom left corner of the square you can actually see it's 2 nostrils!

Frenchy
March 4th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Nope, mouth isn't open. His head is halfway in the water. You can't see his body, only his head. In the picture he's looking straight at us.

ok I see it now. I got confuse by something on a branch , looks like it's on top of his head but I thought it was part of it :p

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Yes I know but are they always tied up ? :confused: :sad:

Did you see the South Park episode about the manatees ? The school gets the wrong shipment and the kids disect them .... :eek:

I dunno if they are always tied up. The spring we went to is not just a park, but is also kind of a sanctuary for them.

And no, I missed that South Park episode. :o

KimandAutumn
March 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
neat pics! :thumbs up what kind of birds are those at the end with the ducks by the boat, bright orange beaks? Ducks of some sort? Interesting, whatever they are.

jesse's mommy
March 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM
No idea, but they come visit us a few times a week. We love watching them. They let me get about 7 feet from them to take te pictures. The ducks, the squirrels and the other critters is why we hate when the hawks come around. :sad:

FancyAppy
March 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
very nice photos and interesting post. You live in a beautiful place.

rainbow
March 6th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I love manatees too. :cloud9:

And those birds with the orange beaks and feet are :cool:

chico2
March 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Wow,Manatees and Alligators great stuff,I actually like Alligators too,find them quiet amazing,they just want live like any other creature on earth.
The birds look like some kind of geese,not ducks,very pretty orange beaks.
My Squirrels here are all in full matingmode,it's really fun to watch those little guys,the males are incredibly persistent:laughing: