Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Evo Cat and Dog Food, Some Allergy Thoughts

want4rain
March 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
so we are quite happy to say that our pets are thriving remarkably on the raw meaty bones and offal diet. we are satisfied with how beautiful their coats, teeth and poops look but....

we have a lot going on in the house. to be able to find an acceptable cat and dog kibble would be REALLY convenient for those days we need a sitter... are just too lazy to chop it all up or just as a back up for if we run out, the power goes out... whatever. also, my mother is taking Shadow after my sister moves out. she refuses to feed raw.

Mister has allergies/intolerances of some sort. i dont know what they are but they are in all of the dog foods we have tried. i suspect its either oatmeal or one of the forms the supplements come in. or perhaps the COOKED chicken protein??? i dont know... but we want to give Evo a shot. maybe this is a dumb question... but how do we do that??? as long as its used for treats or morning snacks... i dotn plan on changing their diet at all but if we leave town for a week, i could probably talk mom into feeding some raw but if the food is more than 1/2 their diet, do i cut out organs? cut back organs? i wouldnt think a few weeks (at the very most) whatever hodge podge we come up with regardless of its nutrition would cause too much trouble... i dont think???

i plan on picking up a bag of the cat food tomorrow, maybe also a bag of dog food and seeing how that goes over. i will probably feed Mister this exclusively to see if he gets dandruffy. if he DOES get dandruffy, is there any harm of beign that way short term (im thinking a trip up north to Chris parents house and stuff) and just taking benedryl for it??

i know im being a little neurotic about this, i could probably just feed him whatever it is they feed their dog (Eagle Brand??) and he will be just as fine for the 2 weeks we might be up there... but still... id hate him to be itchy and miserable if i can prevent it.

-ashley

luckypenny
March 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Do you think your mother would feed raw if you had everything pre-packaged and frozen in individual portions? All she'd have to do is take it out the day before to thaw and dump into Mister's bowl at feeding time. That's what I do when I have to work and DH has to feed the dogs.

For the first time in over 8 months, I forgot to thaw their dinners last weekend. I gave them each two cups of Orijen instead (I use a handful a couple of days a week to stuff their Kongs with). The pups spent 2 days with upset bellies :o .

want4rain
March 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM
thankfully other than the little allergy thing, Misters stomach is rather cast iron. on RARE occasion has he ever ralfed anything up or had the runs from it. thankfully!!!!

is Evo suppose to be a supplement to raw or a 'complete' diet??

moms not adverse to dumping raw meat out for him to eat but we are a little adverse to having to tote a cooler up north to feed him. :D

-ashley

rainbow
March 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
EVO is a complete food. :pawprint:

want4rain
March 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
fooey, Mister has had Evo for 2 days now and he is gettign itchy. we fed chicken today and will feed the Evo again tomorrow to see but he has been pawing his face and mock biting his feet.

fooey.

-ash