Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing a new puppy - how do I avoid mistakes?

geoffh4
March 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hey all,

Its been a while since I've last posted, but everything has been going great for my family. We currently have 2 cats aged 2 and 3 and 1 dog who just turned 1!

Our dog is very affectionate, and really craves for the playfulness of another dog. When we traveled recently, she stayed with my inlaws, and had an incredible time with their dog. As a result, we decided it we had enough room in our house and our hearts to add one more puppy.

We just adopted a 3 month old hound puppy from a local shelter, and are in the process of introducing him into our home. Things have gone great so far, as the new puppy and our one year old have spent the better part of a few hours playing outside.

My questions, though, are how much should I let the two of them interact?

My older dog loves toys and treats, and just sort of takes them from the puppy. Eventually he comes and takes them back. There is no growling or aggressiveness involved, but I want to make sure none develops. What should I do?

My 1 year old and the new puppy play in a very mouthy way, and I want to ensure that the puppy doesnt learn to do this with humans as well. Should I stop the dogs from playing this way or just discourage him from using his teeth on people?

How old does he need to be before I can enroll him in puppy obedience? It was a really fun experience with my 1 year old, and I would like to have the same fun with the new puppy

Thanks!

14+kitties
March 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Congrats on new puppy! We need pics please. :D
No advice except to take it slow and easy, which it sounds like you are doing. Just bumping this up so dog experts can come give advice. Good Luck!!

geoffh4
March 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the bump! I have some more specific questions if it will help the answers:

1) So last night, the puppy and my 1 year old were lounging around eating rawhides. They both had one. My older dog decided she wanted both, so she went and took the rawhide from the puppy. The puppy immediately took her original rawhide and resumed chewing. Then my older dog went to get her original rawhide back, but the puppy growled at her. She stayed back and he got to keep his chew. Im worried this is how dogs develop object guarding issues. What should I do in situations like this?

2. The puppy and my older dog play together really well- most of the time. Unfortunately, my older dog weighs 3x as much as the puppy. Sometimes when they are playing, my older dog gets way too rough and I think the puppy gets a little scared. How can I split them up without causing my older dog to think Im punnishing her? Should I just let them play?

Thanks!

geoffh4
March 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Here is a picture!

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3397/texms0.jpg

danaekitty
March 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
awwwwwww! Look at those eyes!:flirt:
I don't have any advice, I don't have dogs - but the puppy is so cute, and I'm sure they will grow to establish boundaries between them, just like humans. Good luck, and it sounds to me like they're getting along and playing pretty well together so far!

jessi76
March 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
1) So last night, the puppy and my 1 year old were lounging around eating rawhides. They both had one. My older dog decided she wanted both, so she went and took the rawhide from the puppy. The puppy immediately took her original rawhide and resumed chewing. Then my older dog went to get her original rawhide back, but the puppy growled at her. She stayed back and he got to keep his chew. Im worried this is how dogs develop object guarding issues. What should I do in situations like this?

don't give either of them rawhide. rawhide is dangerous for adults and pups alike. it can cause blockage - which in many cases, requires vet attention, even surgery to remove. there are many other safe alternatives for chewing on the market.

as for the guarding issues - yes, I'd only give them high-value treats when they are separate, or when you're there to supervise, and correct this bad behavior. in the meantime, when the pup has a treat, you should FREQUENTLY take it away, then promptly return it. this will teach the pup to guard less. praise the pup for good behavior when you take the treat. returning it promply teaches the dog although it gets taken, it will be given back, no need to snarl and guard.

2. The puppy and my older dog play together really well- most of the time. Unfortunately, my older dog weighs 3x as much as the puppy. Sometimes when they are playing, my older dog gets way too rough and I think the puppy gets a little scared. How can I split them up without causing my older dog to think Im punnishing her? Should I just let them play?

as long as the pup isn't being injured, i'd let them play. Pups have a "scent" that older dogs normally recognize. this scent tells them that this dog is a BABY. pups lose this special scent as they get older. generally, an older dog won't be as rough on a pup as another older dog. I'd let them play, but I'd also make sure there are plenty of "breaks" for the pup and I'd supervise them.

btw, I'd start obedience training as soon as possible. as long as the pup has started on shots, I'd start as early as 12 wks. the sooner the better!

and OMG CUTE PUPPY!!!!!!!! we need WAY more pics. ;)

ancientgirl
March 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I've got no advice since I have cats, but I wanted to say he's incredibly adorable! :lovestruck: