Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

submissive peeing

mommy2b
March 4th, 2008, 01:55 AM
my husband and I adopted a yellow lab, angel, from the local animal control. We were told that they believed that she had been abused at her previous home. She was very skinny, had a liver infection, and would pee whenever my husband would talk to her. She is much healthier now ... but we still have problems with her peeing from time to time. Although not as bad as it used to be ... every other day or so, it seems like she looses control of her bladder. SOmetimes my husband will just walk into the room and she will pee. The other night, she peed all over her bed during the night while we were asleep. is it possible that she may have a bladder infection? should we not be scolding her for peeing all over the house? She knows its wrong but still does it. we are expecting a baby in a few months and we are moving to a new state, new apt, etc., etc. next month. I don't want to have to be cleaning up pee with a new baby in tow.:dog:

badger
March 4th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Thank you for saving this girl. She must think she's gone to heaven, after everything she's been through.
I do think you have to rule out a bladder infection first.
Maybe she has had painful experiences with men, which would explain her reaction to your husband. However the peeing in her bed seems a quite different phenomenon. You don't say how old she is. Is she spayed? because there is a condition (not really an illness) which causes incontinence in spayed females and can be controlled with an inexpensive hormone. You might want to look into that.
Please don't scold her, this is completely beyond her control.
If you search for threads on 'submissive peeing' (click on search at the top of the page), the subject has come up many times. Maybe you'll find some ideas there.

rainbow
March 4th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I agree with Badger. If she has been spayed it could be spay incontinence but that "usually" happens at a later age. I would have her urine checked for a UTI first. If she was abused by her previous owner it certainly could be "submissive peeing". If you "google" that you will find lots of info.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

catwoman958
March 7th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I agree about checking with your vet. If it is not a physical problem, but a behavioral one, I have one thing to ask:

If you don't catch her doing it (in the act), don't correct her.
Dogs live in this exact moment, right now. If she peed 30 secs ago, she will not associate the correction with peeing on the floor. She will learn that a puddle on the floor & you in the room is not a good combo for her, but she won't actually learn that peeing on the floor is where she is making her mistake.

Missy&Jasper
March 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I've had two dogs that have had peeing problems (both rescue as well, but I think that's just a coincident).

One dog was due to weak sphinxer muscles after spaying - we got her drops from the vets which controlled it, although the drops weren't 100% effective. We found it was a lot worse when she'd been tired out on a walk.

One of my other dogs had very low esteem and he urinated because of fear/submission. It usually happened when he met people who came into the house (even me coming in from work). He will roll over and urinate. I found the best way was to comletely ignore him until we'd both settled down, and not to stroke him if he's in a submissive position.

In both situation I wouldn't scold the dog. I have a feeling that my first dog was abandoned because of her problem, but she turned out to be the best dog i'd ever owned.

BSF
March 8th, 2009, 10:09 PM
i also hae hte same problem with my dog. she is almost 2 yrs old and we hv had her for a yr and a half. her previous owner was abusive. she has had alot fo chngs in her life. we had a cat since we had her but the cat has been gone for a year. for the first few months she was outside wih the cat. then in the winter she stayed in the basement with the cat during which time she went ot the bathroom in the basement. then after a few months of living upstairs with us and going outside to bathroom the cat was gone. i had to weed her off of puppy pads in house but she would stil lpee in house. she seemed to do it whenever we came home from however long she was in her crate. she comes out and nibbles my finers and is very excited but then sometiems pees. my fiance thinks it is bc she is excited but i think it might be submissive peeing. after each chng, moving, trying to train her more for separation anxiety etc., she gets worse instead of better. it doesnt happen all the time, every few day or so, and is only in the dining room area which is i guess where we usually interact iwth her. sometiems will stop for months. so i think bladder infection can be ruled out.

angeldogs
March 9th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have a foster here that was fear/submissive peeing with me only not the wife and kids.after she peed the first time she would crawl on her belly well leaving a trail behind her.this would happen even if i moved my leg well sitting.i just cleaned it up and didn't say a thing to her.and praised her like crazy when she peed outside.i even started dancing around the house and towards her if she peed i kept going towards her sat by her didn't do anything till she calmed down.then got up and cleaned the mess up.if she was abused i wanted her to know i wasn't going to abuse her for that or anything else.she needed to trust me.every now and then she still gets submissve but doesn't pee anymore.

if all medical problems are ruled out and it's fear/submissive peeing it can take sometime to get over as they need to learn to trust you and build their confidents. so just clean it up don't say word.the more you show her anger the longer and harder it will be to get her trust and to stop the submissive peeing.if it is medical i would just clean it up and not say anything as with bladder infections it can be hard for them to hold it.so with medical it's not their fault as times they don't have the control.

bambee
March 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Lucky dog to be adopted by you. She seems to have some issue with men though. There must have been something or someone from the past that makes her afraid whenever she sees your husband. But do have a vet check on her to rule out any possible illnesses. Build a trusting relationship with your dog. Let her know that it will all be alright now, that she is safe. Do not scold her when she pees.