Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mild Hip Dysplasia in dogs - What do you do?

dodo
March 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hello,

My dog was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia level 1: mild one. I notice he limps if he plays too much but then is allowed only to play once in a while that is once every couple of months. What i meant is that he often limps when he wakes up and then after couple of movements he is fine. Sometimes, he will moan a little bit the night he plays too much. However, after couple of days, he is then back to normal.

On top of a good diet (i am using canidae kibbles) and his weight is good as per my vet, what do you guys recommend as supplements?

Thank You for your time
dodo

LavenderRott
March 3rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Glucosomine/Chondrontin should help.

Swimming is excellent exercise for building muscles without stressing the joints.

dodo
March 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I will be adding Glucosamine and Chondroitin as supplements.

My dog cant swim :sad:. He sinks like an anchor lol

dodo
March 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Anyone?

Thanks

kandy
March 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM
My newfie girl had a blown out knee and had to have surgery. The orthopedic vets said that she would need a glucosamine/chondriton supplement for the rest of her life (she just turned 3) and that she would eventually develop arthritis.

They advised me to be careful with the brand of supplement that I choose. Since these supplements are not regulated by any government agency, the levels of glucosamine/chondriton can vary signifcantly from brand to brand, and even from batch to batch within that brand. Those vets said that the only brands to consistently pass testing to verify the levels of the supplements are Gyco-Flex or Cosequin. Gyco-Flex is a human supplement.

When I took my girl back for her 16 week post op checkup, I had been doing some research on a new supplement, Dasuquin. It has two formulas, one with an additional supplement called MSM and one without. This supplement is from the same makers as Cosequin but is only available from a vet. Through continued research, it was discovered that a new compound "avacado/soybean unsaponifiables" (ASU's) is more effective than glucosamine/chondriton alone. My vet provided me with a copy of a study done on horses with osteoarthritis that were given the traditional supplement and another group given the supplement with the ASU's. While the new supplement did not cure the arthritis, it improved mobility significantly better for those horses that received it vs the traditional supplement.

I chose the formula with MSM in it for it's added benefits too.

Hope that helps! :)

rainbow
March 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
As well as the supplements already mentioned I would ask your vet about giving Cartrophen injections. :pawprint:

audreyp
May 11th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Approximately 7 years ago my lab (about 2 years old at the time) was diagnosed with a pinched disk in his lower back and early signs of hip dysplacia. After consulting with my regular vet and also one other, I made the decision to get gold bead implants. It's a form of acupuncture. Several gold beads are injected under the skin, while Jake was under general anesthesia. I would highly recommend this procedure for pain relief. Jake is 9 years old now and I think he's lived a relatively pain free life. He also uses a glucosomine mixture.

SnowDancer
May 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You have received good advice - but what supplements did your vet recommend? I would start there and post what your vet recommended. My Eskie does not have hip dysplasia, touch wood, but I know that other patients do and appropriate supplements are recommended taking into account the age, breed and other health considerations of the dog in question.

JanM
May 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I can only add my support for going the Glucosamine route - Bobby has done a complete turn-around since taking it - Glucosamine Hydrochloride. He gets 500 mg per day.

The vet had him on anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) and they helped a wee bit but he also had some pretty bad days on them. I think it's now 7 days straight that he's been pretty darn perky!

luckypenny
May 11th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Our Ava has been on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM as well for the past several weeks. We're still waiting for some improvements :fingerscr . I know it's worked wonders for me personally :o .