Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

GSD with Pannus

maxi's mom
March 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hello,

I have an adorable GSD Max is 5 years old now but when he was 3 years old, unfortunate he got pannus in his eyes. Since that time I place twice a day ophthalmic ointment from Phoenix laboratories, 15.00 each little tube 1/8oz.
His eyes used to be almond beautiful now they are black... he is still active, he is about 86 pounds, he still is able to get his tennis ball and walks 6 miles in the morning everyday but his sight is going worse, any comments that may help him and help me.

Maxi's Mom:pawprint:

GSDog
March 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi..
I didnt know what Pannus was till now. I also have a GS and wanted to know more. Wow, hope my GS doesnt get that. No cure :)

I know ive been taking vitamins for decades...and i know for the human vitamin E is great for the eyesight. Now I cant say ok give that to your dog cause i dont know the dosage for dogs. I know myself I take 400units bit im sure its a lot less for a dog..but like in anything DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

From what ive read on Pannus there is nothing you can do. But knock on wood I hope my dog never gets that and if, IF, he ever does, I would for sure try everything i can to help him out and yes even if i have to give him vitamins.

For sure I would give my do fish oil. Contains powerful compounds that can prevent macular degeneration and other eye problems.

Now like I said, Ive been taking vitamins for decades and human does wont be like an animal so DO YOUR RESEACH PLEASE!!! Talk to your vet to see what he/she says.

I saw a few months ago on Market Place (its like a consumer reports we have here in Canada), there were talking about vets when they give perscriptions for your pet how much of a rip off it is. You can get the perscription for your pet and you can go to your local pharmacy where you get your meds and very often they will give your animals perscription.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/11/28/cat_got_your_wallet/

so if you find your dogs eyedrop too expensive for now, try your local pharmacy... just an idea

here is a webpage for HUMANS on eyesight...maybe you can talk to your vet first to see what he or she has to say what they think of vitamins...

http://www.herbal-supplements-guide.com/how-to-improve-eyesight-naturally.html

this pannus is very interesting...its always good to know..thank you for your post i had no clue. :)

maxi's mom
March 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
GSDog,
Thank you very much for the note, I appreciate it...i will look into your suggestions.:pawprint:

GSDog
March 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
hang in there...and start reading :thumbs up

TysonGDS
June 17th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Do you have any suggestions on how to get the dog to sit still to get the drops in his eyes. My 3 year old GDS just got diagonsed. His eyes look really pink and runny. He won't let me near him with the eye drops.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

kandy
June 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Until he gets used to having the drops put in, it will probably take 2 people. I'd hide the bottle of drops until you have him in position to put them in. Follow the drops with a tasty treat and hopefully he will come to associate the bottle with getting a treat.